Finished manuscript ritual

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmoie

Registered
Reaction score
I know many writers have a specific thing they have to do after they finish a book/short story/screenplay etc, and I was wondering if anyone here has one.

I haven't finished my book yet, but I will do something when it's finished - I'm not sure yet but I think it will involve copious amounts of champagne.

So, what's your ritual - if you have one, and why do you do it? Is it your way of rewarding yourself for all the hard work, a celebration of what you have achieved or is it for more superstitious reasons?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I usually have the wine chilling, and i'll order some food, then when I'm done I'll save it, email it to myself, back it up somewhere else, and then i'll hang out with my hubby, who will tell me how awesome I am, we'll drink all the wine, eat far too much food and fall asleep on the sofa watching CSI.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep. Walk. Opera. Sleep. :)

Also - I buy an antique teacup and saucer.

why do you do it? Is it your way of rewarding yourself for all the hard work, a celebration of what you have achieved or is it for more superstitious reasons?

No excuse beyond, you know, relief....!

Last edited:

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Cake, lots of rich, creamy cake. Then I sleep alot. Then I start on the next one.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I don't have any particular ritual when I finish a book. I usually celebrate with a couple of beers and relax for the first time in months.

BjornAbust

Banned
Reaction score
I spill the blood of orphans upon the finished manuscript as a means of blessing it before sending it out to publishers.

Er... I mean, I treat myself to a nice meal out and perhaps a cold beer.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So - I'm the only one with the opera and antique teacup thing?

*sigh*

so disappointing....

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
I also start the next one, usually within two "working" hours of finishing the first.

Too many ideas in my head and I need to get them out to make room for the new ones.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com

*sigh*

so disappointing....
Maybe not an antique teacup (not my thing :)), but I really like the idea of buying a....something every time I finish a book. I'm going to have to do that (if I ever do finish). Seems like a nice little visual reminder of how much work you've done. :)

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I know many writers have a specific thing they have to do after they finish a book/short story/screenplay etc, and I was wondering if anyone here has one.

I haven't finished my book yet, but I will do something when it's finished - I'm not sure yet but I think it will involve copious amounts of champagne.

So, what's your ritual - if you have one, and why do you do it? Is it your way of rewarding yourself for all the hard work, a celebration of what you have achieved or is it for more superstitious reasons?

i suspect I'll grab sushi perhaps for lunch.

when it SELLS I will celebrate.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I buy something special each time I sell a book, but like others, all I do upon finishing is start another.

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
I run a bath, pour a glass of wine and soak for as long as I want to without once freaking out that I'm not writing.

I don't usually start the next for about 6 weeks although I write notes about the weather or observations to be used at a later date. Just to keep my hand in.

And I journal ideas. But no computer stuff for 6 weeks.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I feel all lost when I've finished a book. I even cried when I finished my WW2 novel. :crazy:
usually, I'll put it away for a while and start on something else.

I'm saving my champers and Indian meal for when I get paid, so I can celebrate selling my first book. :D

Darren Frey

Banned
Reaction score
I have a single glass of champagne and a cigarette waiting for me for when Im done.

Haha (brownie points for whoever gets that) but seriously I didnt do anything when I finished The Blood Reapers. I had problems with alcohol in the past so I dont touch any of the stuff. Perhaps I can start up a ritual with the release date of my books.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
I usually sigh a sigh of relief, re-read the last chapter, watch TV the rest of the night, and then start editing from the top the next day...

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
Finished, as in first draft finished, my husband takes me out for ice cream.

Finished, as in ready to mail finished, I get it submitted before I break down and start fiddle-farting around with it. Then I note the date on a spreadsheet and try not to think about it by diving into the next.

Sales, we go out to dinner and I order some kind of frozen drink with an umbrella.

I did not realize how utterly banal I am until just now, thankyousomuch. ;)

M. Scott

2024 will be my year!
Registered
Reaction score
For a first draft, I don't celebrate. For a second draft, I maybe take a day off from writing. Normally, I just check over my outline for the next, let the old one sit for a while, then jump back to it. The celebrating doesn't start until the selling ;)

James Ebersole

Drinks too much coffee
Registered
Reaction score

*sigh*

so disappointing....

Hah, I actually like the idea of some lasting physical trophy! Imagine if you get famous; people could say "This is the teacup that goes with this book, this teacup was purchased when this one was completed, etc. etc." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.