Happy Samhain!!!!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
'Happy' Samhain, guys & ghouls!

The moon is 2% of full (or 98% waning crescent) and tomorrow will be the new moon.

What's everyone up to?

For anyone who might be lurking just for info, Samhain is one of the two ancient Celtic seasons, the other being Beltane or May 1. The Celts broke the year into Light and Dark seasons, with Samhain representing the doorway into the dark season. It's a great night for divination. Samhain is the night when the veil between the worlds is the thinnest

If you want to see a witch cringe, pronounce Samhain as it is spelled. If you want to see her grin, pronounce it correctly: Sow-in and sometimes Sav-een. It translates to "Summer's End"

Last edited:

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Last night my daughter and I attended a lovely Samhain ritual at a friend's house, and we lit candles for our Ancestors. We also did a simple ceremony in which we burned away the things we wished to get rid of -- bad habits, excess baggage, etc -- and planted the seeds for things we wished to bring to us. It was a cool, crisp night, the stars were out, and it was absolutely lovely. Tonight we'll be doing our family ritual and bonfire. Yay!!

Pssst, hey, Carole! SAM - HANE!!!!

:::flies off on broomstick, cackling:::

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
Last night my daughter and I attended a lovely Samhain ritual at a friend's house, and we lit candles for our Ancestors. We also did a simple ceremony in which we burned away the things we wished to get rid of -- bad habits, excess baggage, etc -- and planted the seeds for things we wished to bring to us. It was a cool, crisp night, the stars were out, and it was absolutely lovely. Tonight we'll be doing our family ritual and bonfire. Yay!!
I'm officially envious.

Pssst, hey, Carole! SAM - HANE!!!!

:::flies off on broomstick, cackling:::
:faint:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Me thinks Mac is a way cool Mod, regardless of where the lurking happens *wink*. We all like it that you come here, Mac :)

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
Howdy, Sara! Are you doing anything fun tonight? I'm not. ~laughing~ I'm moping.
Writing a 10 minute presentation. So, that's a no. :(

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I started to go to bed a little while ago. That's how fun MY night has been so far. I've been ignoring trick or treaters and moping. Suddenly I have this weird craving for magick, though. i think I am gonna shut everything down in a little but and at least do some divination. I've really been wanting to do some mirror work.
(Not the mirror work we have been talking about, SC.heehee...that's gonna have to wait.)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
After a ho hum evening, LOOK at the night I had!

(It's complete work, now, so any lurkers who may have had the inclination to mess with it, thbbbt!)

Attachments

• Samhain 2005 000051.JPG
    Samhain 2005 000051.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 71

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you :) Of course you can ask. The reason I posted it in the first place is so that anyone unfamiliar and curious could see what an average *spell* might look like.

Now, I do have to say that I use the word *spell* rather generically. A Wiccan, for example, would have very different rules for setup and all even though many of the tools are the same. When I work a *spell* I am simply doing work. My beliefs are that all the power comes from the human mind with certain very specific exceptions. When I do work, usually I am not calling, invoking or evoking any deity or entity. I am simply focusing my mind's own power. That was the case with this work.

First, there is the black satin altar cloth. I made the cloth and embroidered the symbol with silver floss. It looks similar to a pentacle, but it is a little different. It does serve a similar purpose, though. On the reverse side of the cloth, there is a very intricate symbol that my husband uses for a specific type of work that involved invoking/evoking of certain entities. Every thing from the space, the cloth and all the tools are cleansed prior to doing work. I use garlic skins burned on coals. The smoke is purifying. You can also use sea salt and a number of other things. Even Frankincense & Myrrh burned on coals.

The earthenware looking cauldron on the altar in the back contains red coals. That's where I am burning my incense. This night I used Frank & Myrrh and cinnamon. (It's important for spellwork to know that most stick *incense* you see in stores isn't really incense. Those are actually perfume sticks and do not contain any natural ingredients, even though many of them really do smell divine!)

There is a crystal glass containing whiskey on the left. That is part of an offering to any elementals whom I have invited (not called) who may assist in the work if they so choose. Across from the glass, on the right side of the altar, there is a tiny little stone dish shaped a little bit like a flower. That contains honey. The honey is also part of the offerning.

The thing that looks like a wand...is a wand. *grin*. That is my wand that I made in 1998. There is a natural crystal point embedded into the tip and starting at the base and going up, there are different stones embedded into the wood that correlate to the different chakra points on the body. This wand is very special to me and is the only one I own. In this work, I wan't using the wand. It has been put up for a long time. This night I was recharging it.

In the center, there is a crystal plate. I anchored an orange taper candle in the center and annointed it with cinnamon oil. Around the base, I sprinkled cinnamon and Frankincense & Myrrh. All those things were related to the work at hand and assisted in some way because of their unique properties, even the color of the candle.

There are three other things inside the ritual space. A citrine point, a rose quartz heart and a silver dragon. Those were all being charged for specific purposes with the work. The citrine point is inside my pillowcase now, the rose quartz heart stays beside my keyboard and the silver dragon is on a chain around my neck.

Off to the right side, I have my favorite tarot deck ready for the reading that I did following the work. To the left, there is a marble slab holding items I needed during the work like the frank & myrrh, garlic skins, cinnamon, etc. The marble slab stayed outside the circle because it was a mundane thing that was just there as a plate of sorts.

The work that night was mostly for me individually. Bettering ones self is the constant "great work". That is what this was for :)

Does any of this make any sense or have I talked in a complete circle?

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Some of the symbology doesn't make sense to me, but that's only because I'm not well-versed in the subject; I do have hunches, though -- whether or not they're trustworthy is a whole other matter. Otherwise, you made perfect sense -- and it's both nice and fascinating to see how much thought you put into your work.

I'm curious about the pentacle. At first glance it seemed to almost be two pentacles intertwined -- is this a device of your own construction? Moreover, the placement of the elements around the circle seem very specific. Am I incorrect in assuming this?

Thank you so much for answering my questions. This really is a treat for me :)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little hesitant to bring up where that particular symbol comes from. There are a lot of folks who poo-poo the system. It works for me and I use that symbol in my work although I don't use that system much at all.

The placement is specific for me, but may make no sense at all to someone else. I gott run out for a while. I try to get into it more later :) It's a treat for me, too!