Obligatory introduction thread. =)

CouncilOfDave

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for a few days, and I've found plenty of answers already. There seems to be a lot of great people here so I thought I would go ahead and join up.

I suppose I should give you the pedigree information, huh?

The name is Dave. I'm 29, married. No kids, but two dogs and a baby Ewok (kitten). I grew up in Indiana, but we moved to Texas (D/FW) about six months ago, and I don't miss the snow a bit.

I've had a pretty wide range of work, from coaching gymnastics after high school, to mechanic, to grunt, to corrections work, to washing dishes, and everything in between. Right now I've got a Joe job washing cars, and while the pay isn't great it's a nice change of pace, and I'm happy to have it.

In regards to writing, I haven't done much since high school. I wrote a lot of short stories, but that ended up taking a backseat to writing music. Instead of college I attended The Recording Workshop in Chillicothe, Ohio. I do write and record at home, but it's just a hobby at this point. I've been getting back into writing stories, as throughout the years I've had ideas come up that I've intended to start work on, but never got around to it.

Procrastination is probably a good reason I'm washing cars for a living. lol Either way, I've got a lot of free time now that we've moved and don't know anyone, so I thought it would be a good time to start applying myself.

I'm currently working on a story, I'm about 4,000 words in or so. I've probably got around 3 hours of outlining and character building, and another 5 or so in actual writing. I have no idea how long it will be, whether it will be a short story or a novel, I suppose I will just see how it turns out once the first draft is finished (I hear this is the goal, lol) I've been out of practice, so it doesn't come as naturally to me as it used to, and this forum has given me a lot of useful direction, that has helped tremendously.

So for that, I thank you all, and I hope to eventually be able to contribute.

I must also say, the Newbie Guide was one of the best I've seen anywhere. 10/10, I would read again.

magicmint

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Good luck with yer work! Hope to read it sometime!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
My gawd - someone read the Newbie Guide!

Welcome, Dave. :)

Last edited:

CouncilOfDave

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes.

Of COURSE I read the Newbie guide. How else would I know the rules?

I also read instruction manuals.

lol

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

get_itdown

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

The name is Dave. I'm 29, married. No kids, but two dogs and a baby Ewok (kitten). I grew up in Indiana, but we moved to Texas (D/FW) about six months ago, and I don't miss the snow a bit.

Hi there! I'm new to the website as well, but noticed you are originally from Indiana, and I just wanted to say, I’ve lived in Indiana for the past seven years, so “hi!”. Also, I lived in Texas for four years. Texas is a great state. I wish you the best of luck in your writing endeavors and I hope these forums help us both with our writing. Don't beat yourself up too much about the procrastination---we all do it. Just keep writing.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

So glad you took the time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

My gawd - someone DOES read the Newbie Guide, sometimes!

Welcome, Dave. :)
:e2thud:

Last edited:

Figuro

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the cooler.

Love the name of your kitten - too cute. We all have to start somewhere and it sounds as though you'll on the right track.... Wax on, wax off (lol) sure helps one think about all kinds of things. Hope to see you around.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Welcome to the 'Cooler!

Do me a favor, would you? Go hit Sonny Bryan's, over on Inwood, come back and tell me it was awful.

I worked just downwind of the place for years. *sigh*

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, This is a great place for info. Good Luck

CouncilOfDave

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the cooler.

Love the name of your kitten - too cute. We all have to start somewhere and it sounds as though you'll on the right track.... Wax on, wax off (lol) sure helps one think about all kinds of things. Hope to see you around.

I guess it's name is Chewy. I don't know why, you'd have to ask my wife.

But it certainly looks like a baby Ewok...