PDA

View Full Version : About genres...

mbowman
05-25-2011, 01:40 AM
So after spending months in query letter hell and getting most in there to agree I had a "strong query", I sent out a bunch of letters in a batch and waited to see if I would get at least one partial request.

So far, I've gotten nothing but rejections. While I believe in my query, I'm wondering if it's how I'm marketing the book. My book is a young adult science fiction novel, and so far I've been sending it out to any agent that represents young adult, regardless of whether or not they represent science fiction.

Is that a bad idea? Because I assumed "young adult" meant all genres, as long as there is a teenage protagonist.

Becca C.
05-25-2011, 01:45 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track. If it's YA sci-fi, it's YA sci-fi and you're targeting the right agents. The rejections are going to happen no matter what, even if you're marketing the manuscript exactly the right way. It's not going to float everybody's boat. Just keep on truckin'.

mbowman
05-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track. If it's YA sci-fi, it's YA sci-fi and you're targeting the right agents. The rejections are going to happen no matter what, even if you're marketing the manuscript exactly the right way. It's not going to float everybody's boat. Just keep on truckin'.Yeah, I know the rejections are going to keep coming, but I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Thanks.