market percentage for e-readers?

thrillerz

Registered
Reaction score
Where can I find reliable information on the market share of e-readers like Kindle, Nook,...

Many thanks for your help!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Share of what market? Sales of the physical reader? Ebooks as a whole or a particular format or genre?

Reaction score
I don't know that there are good numbers at this point. ;) No one is releasing their numbers! Amazon remarked they had sold more Kindle 3s than any other product, which based on their history implied at least 10 million sold. B&N announced last fall they had sold 2 million Nooks, but that was before the color Nook was out, if I recall right, and they're expected to have at least doubled that number since.

Sony's the smallest of the three big dedicated ereaders, last I heard, but I haven't seen reliable numbers for them

And that leaves out tablets. And the scores of millions of ereader-capable cell phones. Some estimates put ebook-capable devices (not including desktops and laptops) at over 100 million in the USA alone.

Deleted member 42

It's not really worth worrying about; first, all of the dedicated readers--Nook, Sony, Kindle--use a non-proprietary file format. It's not the same one, really, but that doesn't really matter.

Secondly; all the smart phones and tablets can use multiple file formats/reader apps.

Think of it in terms of paperback and hardback and trade; just different containers for the same book. You want to have as many containers as possible, since people may have a preference.

The few extra hours it takes to properly output a specific format are trivial in terms of the potential sales, if the book sells.

thrillerz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all who answered. That's what I need to know.

Many thanks.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
There was a large stuffy of several thousand ebook readers done by the BISG (Book Industry Study Group). They presented their numbers at the BEA 2011 a few weeks ago - let me dig out my notes.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There was a large stuffy of several thousand ebook readers done by the BISG (Book Industry Study Group). They presented their numbers at the BEA 2011 a few weeks ago - let me dig out my notes.

Heh. This is such a perfect mistake I don't think it's actually a mistake at all.

thrillerz

Registered
Reaction score
rsullivan - I would like to hear the notes or the gist of it