Does This Concern Anyone Too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
A six-year-old boy, who raised thousands of pounds for an Edinburgh hospital with his drawings, has signed a book deal.

Jack Henderson, from Prestonpans in East Lothian, has received thousands of e-mails since he set up Jack Draws Anything, with the help of father Ed.

Jack received hundreds of commissions with donations going to the Royal Hospital for Sick Kids in Edinburgh.

He has signed a deal with international publishers Hodder Children's Books.
The book, which is being rushed through to be published by 6 October, will feature a collection of Jack's drawings and profits from its sale will go to the Sick Kids' Friends Foundation.

To-date, Jack has raised almost £17,000 after setting an initial target of £100 for the hospital his baby brother Noah attends with chest problems.

It's a story that has been running in the Scottish press for a while, and it had a 'bless' quality to begin with. But a book deal leaves me feeling uncomfortable - even if it's going to a good cause.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-13504126

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand what you find to be a source of concern?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand either. This sounds like a good thing

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I only saw the goodness and nothing else until you mentioned your concern. I don't think he nor his father set out with this goal. It just happened as a reult of his good and noble idea. If it brings them riches, so be it. Scotland has a an excellent system for keeping kids in school so we don't have to worry about him dropping out because of the money. We just need to hope that he is an environment that will keep him grounded. If not, that's ok, we all live and learn.

I don't have a problem with this but I can understand your concern.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I get what you are saying here. I think it's great that he raised the money and he's going to help a lot of people through his hard work and generosity.

But I second the concern over a child as young being thrust into the spotlight like that, and I'd say the same thing if it were a book, a tv show or anything else.

That said, I get the feeling this is a one time thing, and with all the proceeds going to the hospital, I don't think it will have a really negative effect.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can see the concern. Child celebrities often have a hard life ahead of them. But I think you're jumping the gun a bit. Kids like this pop up every now and then and they're fine. I think it's when they reach Michael Jackson or Gary Coleman level stardom as children that they get messed up.

Besides, the alternative would be to squash the kid's talent and the charity doesn't get some help it would appreciate.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
He's a child art and book prodigy. Is that really going to add up to celebrity? Does it, much, for adult artists and authors? ;) As long as his parents are sane and responsible, this could add up to a nice, small trickle of donations to the charity and maybe some overage to save for his future. For one-time shots at exploiting childhood talent, it's better than having him do baby modeling or acting, imo.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
So it's okay for the kid to work his ass off raising money for a good cause, but he shouldn't have anything to do with a book deal?

There's noting wrong with a kid being in the spotlight, as long as he's having fun, and it sounds like this kid is having a ball.

A book deal doesn't mean he's going to be sitting at a word processor ten hours a day, or that he's going to be doing anything that isn't more fun than than a day at the park. It means only that he's going to have his picture taken, get to do a little traveling, and do more good than most adults.

A six year old in a beauty pageant may be cause for concern, but this is just a kid having fun.

And I hope it's not a one time thing. Jack should benefit, as well as the charity. Maybe he'll actually grow into a responsible adult, and with luck, earn enough money to also be a rich adult.

You're never too young to learn how to work, or to learn how to help others. Be concerned with six year olds who have to work just to help feed the family, not those who do something like this. Good for Jack, good for the publisher, and good for the charity.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the drawings I've seen, he's not a child prodigy artist in any way shape or form - it's six-year old scribbles that any kid could do.

I think it's simply that with him appearing on TV - the publishers feel the book will be bought - short term at least.

It's money talking.

I applaud the kid's motive, but the book deal doesn't leave me feeling all that comfortable, either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.