How to Beat Haters: Westboro Edition

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Priceless:
Comedienne Lisa Lampanelli took a unique stand against the anti-gay and vindictive bullies from Westboro Baptist Church, who protested her performance in Topeka on Friday night.

When the Topeka-based hate church targeted Lampanelli for her outspoken position on gay rights, the comedienne fired back earlier this week on Twitter. She promised to donate $1,000 to the Gay Men's Health Crisis, the nation's oldest HIV/AIDS organization, for every member of WBC that protested her show at the Topeka Performing Arts Center.

After her show on Friday, Lampanelli said on Twitter that it appeared there were 44 protesters.

She tweeted, "Thanks to these a-holes, $44,000 will be donated to the GMHC!!!"
The donation to the gay rights charity will made in the name of Westboro Baptist Church.

Be sure to watch the video. It's another sterling example.

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Westboro-Baptist-Church2.jpg

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I really wish Anonymous had killed their websites for good.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
What the hell are porgs?

Also, you can go here for a bigger picture. My personal favourite is "Is this thing on?"

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
That poor little kid. Kids like him are why sex ed should include homosexuality, why homeschooling scares the fuck out of me, and why the rest of us need to teach our own kids to stand up and speak.

I hear you. I can only hope that kid grows up and realises he's been indoctrinated into hatred. Given the sheer strength of the dogma, though, I'm not so positive about it.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Slight derail regarding homeschool

That poor little kid. Kids like him are why sex ed should include homosexuality, why homeschooling scares the fuck out of me, and why the rest of us need to teach our own kids to stand up and speak.

Agreed 100%.

First, to the OP, LOVE IT! That is absolutely fantastic. What a great way to fight assholes with peace, rather than violence. What a great role model this woman is!

Second, I just have to make a comment about the homeschooling, even at the risk of slight derail. My mother homeschools my "baby" brother. He just turned 9. He's highly intelligent and also highly sensitive. My mother is as far right extremist as one can go without actually murdering those who don't follow her beliefs, and she doesn't realize how dangerous that is.

She's raising my brother to know only the things she wants him to believe - the world is 6,000 years old, the Bible is true, Jesus is God's son, man once lived beside dinos, homosexuality is wrong and they aren't born that way, the governement, no matter what they do, is against the individual...you get my point.

I don't have a problem with her teaching him about the Bible and the world being only 6k even though I don't necessarily agree. I believe in Jesus and God and don't mind that either. What KILLS me is the homosexuality part and also the fact that my mother isn't telling my brother the other side of the story. She's not showing him the big picture, and I sincerely worry about the day my brother goes out into the real world with these narrow beliefs, thinking anyone else who thinks anything else is wrong.

I can only hope (and, incedentally pray) that he's smart enough to realize there's more out there than just what mommy says.

*end derail*

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I can only hope (and, incedentally pray) that he's smart enough to realize there's more out there than just what mommy says.

*end derail*

Let's hope. I know some really intelligent people who grew up learning that homosexuality is wrong, and they still believe it. And these are smart people that I otherwise admire.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm upset by the Tennessee threads too, but in the past years I've seen a lot of support like this and it gives me hope. I don't know Lisa Lampinelli, but I intend to.

BTW, God hates hate

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, God hates hate

Exactly. That's what gets me every time.

Bad Man: "We hate homosexuals because God says it's wrong."

But...God says we ought to love like Jesus, and Jesus loves everyone.

What the hell is their excuse for that?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If my memory stretches all the way to my Catholic grammar school and high school properly. God set forth 10 Commandments for his followers to abide by. His laws, no others. And nowhere in those Commandments does it say anything about homosexuality.

So if those were the laws God set for his followers, why are his followers adding their own?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
If my memory stretches all the way to my Catholic grammar school and high school properly. God set forth 10 Commandments for his followers to abide by. His laws, no others. And nowhere in those Commandments does it say anything about homosexuality.

So if those were the laws God set for his followers, why are his followers adding their own?

NOTE: VERY opinionated opinion follows:

They're taking the 9 gajillion directives from Deuteronomy (plus perhaps another book, I'm not an OT scholar) and following the ones they choose. I once saw this pick-and-choose method picked apart by someone who pointed out a verse in Deut. that says not to wear clothes made of blended fibers. So (being extreme and facetious): gay smex and wearing cotton/rayon clothing are equivalent offenses against God.

Yeah. This is why I try not to get into religious discussions.

Jesus was bi and polyamorous? :Jaw:
:roll: (Y'all probably know I'm a die-hard, if heretical, Christian. That gives me a pass to laugh at the above. :))

Rock Throwing Peasan

Danger Zone
Registered
Reaction score

Well, it's more complicated. First, there were not just 10 Commandments. There were hundreds, addressing everything from what to eat to having tassles and such on clothes.

As a Christian (according to New Testament), you weren't asked to follow those rules. I'm not interested in a huge discussion, but suffice it to say that Barnabas, Paul and the others debated as to whether Christ's message was for Gentiles. Paul said (paraphrase), "Yeah, I see it resonate in their hearts." His way became adopted. We see in Mark (I think) that, "If G-d made it - you can eat it." Again, paraphrase.

So, Christians live under the new Covanent. It's kinda laid out in Matthew (and other places): Obey G-d with all your heart and soul and love others as you want to be loved.

So, to answer your question, there were laws in the OT that discussed homosexuality. As a Christian, it's expected that you (third person version) live by the new covanent.

This was a 30 second flyover for the reason. I could get more in depth, but I'm not sure this is the best venue.