Step-by-step Copyright Registration Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudekpj

Registered
Reaction score
I recently went through the copyright registration process for a US literary copyright, and thought I'd detail the experience with screenshots. Here is the link to the step by step directions for anyone interested. Hope some of those who've not gone through the process before, or, those who may be wondering how tedious it is, can find this info useful :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but why are you paying $35 and trudging through a long process to register with the US copyright office? It's jaw-droppingly unlikely that you'll ever need it. Most people don't bother.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
This may be a stupid question, but why are you paying $35 and trudging through a long process to register with the US copyright office? It's jaw-droppingly unlikely that you'll ever need it. Most people don't bother.

Since this is the self-publishing forum, I think it's reasonable to expect that people self-publishing need to know how to register their copyrights. Someone going for commercial publication doesn't need to register, but someone self-publishing does.

I've seen the form, though, and am not sure why someone following the self-publishing route would need instructions to fill it out. If one plans to do all the other complex work associated with self-publishing, surely they should be capable of filling out a fairly straightforward form. Is this thread really designed to drive traffic to a blog?

Reaction score

Not sure if it's different in the UK, Parametric - but in the US, while just writing something *does* give you copyright protection, actually registering it gives you substantially more rights in a lawsuit. The root differences are that you can sue for statutory monies that are often much higher than the *actual* damages (which are all you can sue for without registration), and you can recover legal fees as well.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Having worked in health insurance for a few years, I know firsthand how some otherwise competent folks can't fill out a form to save their life (in a few cases, literally).

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
I did not feel it was necessary to register the copyright of my book, but I did register it with the Library of Congress and obtained a control number. This was free (you have to register as the publisher, not the author), but I was required to send them 2 copies of the book.
http://pcn.loc.gov/pcn003.html

Status
Not open for further replies.