UK footballer, Twitter and a total farce

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
A UK footballer has launched legal proceedings against Twitter because people are posting his name online despite an injunction banning the media reporting on his affair.

The whole thing is a total joke. Everyone knows who this dickhead is but the law says we can't mention his name. On the other hand, it proves these injunctions don't work thanks to the internet. It also suggests if Mr Footballer doesn't want people to talk about him, he should take some responsibility for what he does and keep his tackle in his trousers.

Story here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...e-legal-action-over-gag-breaches-2287787.html

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
All this superinjunction business is a pretence anyway; everyone knows who he is and what he's done. He should just have the decency to admit it. Perhaps he should have kept his willy in his trousers, and then nobody would be talking about it...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Once again, free individuals are kicking the political class and their connected, protected buddies in the teeth, thanks to the power of the internet.

It sure does piss off the political class and their buddies, though. But it gives me great hope for the future.

Reaction score
All these Gigging -- er, sorry, gagging -- orders seem completely pointless to me. I can't Imogen why anyone ever thought this would work.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
The whole thing is a total joke. Everyone knows who this dickhead is but the law says we can't mention his name. On the other hand, it proves these injunctions don't work thanks to the internet. It also suggests if Mr Footballer doesn't want people to talk about him, he should take some responsibility for what he does and keep his tackle in his trousers.
Believe it or not, I don't know. I've seen the TV reports, read newspaper accounts, but I haven't googled it because frankly, I know nowt about footballers and the name would mean nothing to me. Unless it's David Beckham.

Will be interesting to see how and when I'll hear "the name", if ever, without google.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Believe it or not, I don't know. I've seen the TV reports, read newspaper accounts, but I haven't googled it because frankly, I know nowt about footballers and the name would mean nothing to me. Unless it's David Beckham.

It's not Beckham. ;)

Reaction score
And it's not Rooney. He has to pay women to sleep with him.

Allegedly.

Fifty quid extra if they keep from barfing 'til he's left the room.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
He's been named

You would have to be virtually "living in an igloo" not to know the identity of one of the footballers covered by an injunction.
Aruna's hand appears from out of her igloo and waves at everyone....

ETA: I now at last get some of the puns on this thread.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I guess this was a case of Saving Ryan's Privates. Or failing to do so.

(sorry -- I'm not clever enough to make up puns. That was on Twitter/Daily Mail. I plagiarised. Ooops. No, I didn't. I named my source.)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Everyone knows who this dickhead is...
I didn't, until I saw a headline 5 mins ago on BBC News saying an MP had named him. Didn't affect my life one bit.

-Derek

jimbro

Registered
Reaction score
In the U.S., Congress has passed a law protecting US citizens from these superinjunctions, so USians can talk freely about it within their own borders.

It's also OK in scotland, though most media north of the wall are voluntarily showing some restraint.

The footballer in question has failed miserably to google for the "Streisand effect": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect.

Some Many people are just slow learners in the internet age...