PDA

View Full Version : All Recipes for All Seasons! Let's have them!

Carole
10-31-2005, 06:51 AM
Vanessa had a wonderful idea about a thread for sharing recipes. I started one a while back about cooking during the colder months, but she thought it would be a great idea to have an all season recipe thread. I couldn't agree more!

So, let's have them! All recipes for All Seasons! Let's get on with the smorgasbord! WooHoo!!!!

Pat~
11-01-2005, 04:41 AM
Okay, Carole, here's one to use up all JAlpha's treats (see Haiku thread ;-)). This one will sound strange, but my kids beg for it.

Snicker Salad

Snicker bars (left over from Halloween)
green apples
Cool Whip

Cut up the green apples. Dice up Snickers fairly fine. Mix both (in preferred quantities) with several dollups of Cool Whip. Enjoy (the presence of apples makes this a health food).

Alphabet
11-01-2005, 04:56 AM
Anyone love the taste of mincemeat (the sweet mince-pies for santa stuff) but find mince-pies too fattening and too sickly sweet so you can only have a mouthful or two instead of endlessly enjoying the mincemeat taste?

Here's something:

1 Can ready-made semolina
mincemeat to taste.

Empty can of semolina into microwaveable bowl
Add from two teaspoons up to 1 1/2 tablespoons (to taste) of mincemeat
Stir mincemeat into semolina
Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes stir and then microwave one minute more

Of course, you don't have to use canned semolina OR a microwave - you can do this with semolina powder and a saucepan - but that takes longer and needs more washing up and turns it into a 'organized' food instead of a 'haphazard' one. If you want to use the pan method then cook the semolina and stir in the mincemeat at the end of the cook just before taking off the stove.

------

Hmmmm..... winter warmer, good any time of day from first awake to mid-day snack to supper desert to midnight craving... yummm!!!

maestrowork
11-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Delicous soup:

1. Find can opener
2. Open can with can opener
3. Dump content in a bowl
4. Microwave content in the bowl on high for 2 minutes

Serve 1.

Vanessa
11-01-2005, 06:01 AM
Thanks Carol. Just want to let you know I'm in. I'll be back to drop a few of my favorites into the pot.

Carole
11-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Me, too. I'm working on Samhain stuff tonight, but tomorrow I'll be her with recipes!

Vanessa
11-01-2005, 06:08 AM
Where's J? She's been dying to drop a few too. I'd love to see some really good recipes from all across the countries. I think it's cool to see the many cultures of culinary skills.

Carole
11-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Oh, I'm sure she's out tormenting children right now!

I'll tell you what I would love to learn: Authentic Chinese cooking. I have tried. And failed. Laughably, no less. My results are way worse than McDonald's does Chinese. My veggies are always smooshy and my rice always gets sticky unless I cheat and use minute rice.

Vanessa
11-01-2005, 06:10 AM
Oh, I'm sure she's out tormenting children right now!

:D

book_maven
11-01-2005, 08:28 AM
I have been and can be a gourmet cook, but rarely do it any more. But here are a couple of simple good recipes:

For summer: Hot Tomato Salad

Fresh Creole or Roma Tomatoes
Yummy hot sauce, like Crystal or Tabasco
Kosher Salt

Slice tomatoes. Place in bowl. Add a pinch kosher salt and a shake or three of hot sauce per Roma sized tomato. Can use a blend of tomatoes, as are in season. Can add fresh basil. Can add fresh English thyme too. Can add chopped red or Vidalia onion. Can add one part red wine or balsamic vinegar to two parts olive oil. Mix well. Let stand 30 minutes or more.

Serving suggestions: Spoon over slices of good mozzarella cheese; serve artfully as a side; toss in salad before serving; mix in cold pasta salad before serving. <drools at thought of it>
__________________________________________________ ______________

A very simple and quick dish:
Take two chicken breasts. Cut them into strips, dredge each strip in flour, then dipp the chicken in a mixture of salsa and egg (2 eggs beaten for 1/2 jar of salsa) and then dip the strips into finely crushed tortilla chips and fry in a bit of oil on medium heat.

Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce is a favorite of mine. Here are a couple of variations. You can use it as a pizza sauce (instead of tomato), as a soup base, on pasta and many other dishes.

Recipe 1:
2 large garlic cloves
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
1/3 cup unsalted natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar

Recipe 2:
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Cooking Directions
In medium microwave-safe bowl, stir together ingredients. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 1 1/2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds. Serve warm with baked ham. Makes about 3/4 cup sauce.
Another recipe for it:

3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
1 small onion , diced
2 tablespoons minced shallot s
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
1 tablespoon minced lemongrass (about 3 stalks)
3kaffir lime leaves (or 1 teaspoon chopped lime zest)
2 cups minced cilantro
1/3 cup finely minced basil
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water (optional)
4 servings cooked rice

TO PREPARE SAUCE: Place the coconut milk, peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, onion, shallots, garlic, curry paste, lemongrass, lime leaves, cilantro, and basil in a large saucepan. While stirring, bring just to a simmer over medium-low heat; do not boil. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat, adjust the seasonings, and strain before serving. If you wish a thicker consistency, combine 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water, stir to dissolve, and mix into the sauce until thoroughly combined; continue to cook until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.

Jaycinth
11-01-2005, 07:52 PM
And I love all of you too! Since I keep a stocked 'cottage garden' I usually prefer to use fresh stuff. But it is fall, and many people don't garden, so I have substituted dried for fresh in many instances. Don't Panic. If you really want to spend all day in the kitchen (when you aren't out tracking down fresh herbs), let me know and I'll e- mail you 'the director's cut'.

But for now: PASTA WITH ITALIAN SAUSAGE

1 package sweet Italian sausage (grocery packs it in 20oz packages)

1tsp dried onion flakes

1tsp dried garlic flakes

1tsp each basil, oregano, rosemary.

¼ sweet red bell pepper , finely diced.

1 big fresh tomato, well chopped.

1 28 oz can of stewed tomatoes

4 tbsp Olive oil

2 tbsp red wine

½ tsp sea salt

½ tsp dark brown sugar

1 pinch of black pepper

½ pinch turmeric

the barest sprinkle of nutmeg

1 box of whole grain pasta ( Or spinach pasta-linguine)

parmesian cheese ( if you like it)

Place sausage in skillet (iron skillet if you have one) add ¼ cup of water, cover and simmer for 10-12 min ( until water is gone) Remove lid and continue to stir-fry for 5 more min until lightly browned on the sides. Remove from pan, put on paper towels to drain.

Pour olive oil into pan turn up heat. Add onion, garlic, basil, oregano and rosemary. Stir-fry for 2 minuets. Add fresh chopped tomato and bell pepper. Stir fry for 5 minuets. Add red wine, salt, sugar, pepper, turmeric, and nutmeg. Reduce heat and simmer covered.

Using a sharp knife slice sausage at an angle so you have thin ovals and not rounds. (Ovals are nicer looking when you serve this, you see.) Toss this into your simmering sauce.

Take the can of stewed tomatoes, and dump it into your blender. Hit *puree* for 2 min. Dump the resulting mixture into your simmering sauce. Stir. Taste. Some of you may like more salt or more pepper or vice versa. (This recipie also tastes good with HOT Italian sausage and a fresh cayenne tossed in to make life interesting. If you do that, double the turmeric and nutmeg.)

Boil the water for your pasta. Prepare your pasta. While pasta is preparing, continue stirring your sauce, make sure it is happily simmering but not so high it sticks to your pan as the moisture evaporates.

As soon as the pasta is ready serve it up along with a nice green salad and some garlic bread on the side. Since the bottle of wine is open anyway, serve that too. (Unless you used it to make salad dressing)

This serves 2 adults and 3 kids or 2 adults and 1.5 teenagers. ( Or 1 teenager who has just completed a 10 mile run.)

More from my kitchen tomorrow.

JoeEkaitis
11-01-2005, 08:12 PM
SAUSAGE AND LENTIL SOUP

1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 bulb garlic, peeled and minced
1 lb. dry lentils
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth
2 broth cans water
1 lb. sweet or hot turkey Italian sausage, whole links
2 bay leaves

Combine onion, garlic, lentils, Italian seasoning, olive oil, broth, and water in slow cooker. Add sausage links, float bay leaves on top and cover the crock.

(At this point, the crock can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.)

Cook 6 hours on High. Discard bay leaves. Remove sausage links and allow to cool 15 minutes. Meanwhile, stir soup for 2 minutes to puree' some of the lentils, which will thicken the soup. Slice cooled sausage and return to soup. Serve with biscuits or cornbread for a "meal in a bowl."

Carole
11-01-2005, 08:24 PM
My sister made this last Christmas and No one could stop eating it!

Gingersnap Cookies

* 3/4 cup shortening
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/4 cup light molasses
* 1 egg
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cream together shortening and sugar, add egg and beat until fluffy. Stir in molasses and mix well.
2. Sift all dry ingredients-twice, then add to molasses mixture and mix well
3. Using a cookie scoop or spoon scoop out spoonfuls of dough and form into round balls. Roll tops of balls in sugar.
4. Place the round balls on a cookie sheet, these cookies flatten as they bake.
5. Bake for exactly 9 minutes in a preheated 350 degree (175 degree C) oven. Remove from baking sheet and cool.

Pumpkin Dip

* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
* 2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
* 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
* 1 teaspoon frozen orange juice concentrate

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Gradually mix in the pumpkin. Stir in the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and orange juice until smooth and well blended. Chill until serving.

Directions: Pick up cookie. Plunge into pumpkin dip. Eat. Repeat often.

JoeEkaitis
11-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Noodle-Wurst Casserole

1 16 oz. box rotini pasta
1 16 oz. container sour cream
1 10.5 oz. can cream of chicken soup
1 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
12 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced as desired

Grease a casserole with butter or margarine, or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Cook and drain the rotini per package directions. Combine sour cream, soups, green onions, pepper and garlic powder in a large pot, stir until blended. Stir in the cheese and smoked sausage, followed by the rotini. Stir until sausage and rotini are evenly coated.

Spoon into greased casserole, place in cold oven. Set oven for 350 degrees F. and bake 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

And don't worry about leftovers. ;)

Variations: substitute a 24 oz. bag of frozen shredded hash brown potatoes for the rotini.

In either recipe, reserve about 1/4 of the cheese to sprinkle on top halfway through the baking.

Carole
11-01-2005, 09:51 PM
This is one from the other thread. My aunt's spoon cornbread. Caution: It's addicting!

Spoon Corn Bread
(You might call it a cornbread souffle. You can't really pick it up and eat it like traditional cornbread, but having to use a spoon or fork is a worthy sacrifice!)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup plain white cornmeal
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees

*Heat milk over medium heat in saucepan. Stir in cornmeal gradually. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in butter and salt and remove from heat.

*Cool for 15 minutes then stir in eggs. Pour into buttered 6 cup casserole or souffle dish.

*Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until well risen and lightly browned.

Be careful if you are a fan of cornbread that isn't sweet. I have a tendancy to want to eat the entire PAN! (smothered in butter, of course!)

Carole
11-01-2005, 09:54 PM
And another. My mom's cabbage rolls.

Cabbage Rolls

10 large cabbage leaves
1 pound ground beef
3 Tbsp chopped onion
3 Tbsp chopped green pepper
3 Tbsp chopped celery(I'm not a celery fan so I usually omit this)
3/4 c cooked rice (If you only partially cook the rice, it will expand in the crock pot and fill out the cabbage better - almost sealing it)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
1/3 C water
1 - 10 ounce can tomatoes
1/4 tsp each, salt & seasoned salt
1 pkg Polish Sausage, sliced into 2 inch pieces

Cook cabbage leaves in boiling water for abut 5 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.

Combine ground beef, veggies, rice, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp salt & pepper in bowl and mix well.

Spoon meat mixture into individual cabbage leaves. Wrap the edges around and secure with a toothpick.

Place rolls, seam/toothpick side down, in a casserole dish or stock pot or crock pot, however you choose to make them.

Mix remaining ingredients together, except the sausage, and pour over the top. Place sausage pieces around the rolls.

If you are baking this dish, cover the casserole and bake at 350 for an hour. If you are cooking in a stock pot, just cover and simmer for an hour on medium heat. I've never made this in a crock pot although my mom does it all the time. I'm not sure about how long it would take so if you are going to try it, it might be best to do that on a day when you'll be home so you can watch over it.

**Make sure you either remove all the toothpicks after the rolls are done or at least warn everyone that there is a toothpick in each roll!

Carole
11-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Oh! I remembered another. This one is a favorite of all my guys. It's really easy and probably could notbemore unhealthy! This is definitely a wintertime guy dinner!

Meatballs & Mashed Potatoes

1 lb ground beef
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp chopped onion
1/2 C bread crumbs (if you use seasoned breadcrumbs, you may want to cut back on the salt)
1 egg
A couple dashes of worchestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Then form into meatballs. Cook on low heat in a frying pan until done all the way through (about 15-20 minutes for average sized meatballs) Remove meatballs and deglaze the pan with about a cup of water. Pour the out the liquid so it can be measured for making the gravy.

Prepare mashed potatoes as you normally would. I like to use condensed milk and real butter. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of sour cream to the mix.

Prepare basic brown gravy. I cheat. I use two pagkages of brown gravy mix. Measure the liquid from deglazing the meatball pan and use that in the brown gravy mix instead of plain water. You will have to add more water to it, but it's better if you use the pan liquid, too. Cook it in the meatball pan. When it's partially thickened, return the meatballs to the pan and simmer together.

Now for the eating part:

Place a mound of mashed potatoes on the plate, making a dent in the center. Place meatballs into the dent and smother with gravy.

This is real health food!!!

Carole
11-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Chile Rellenos

6-8 Poblano peppers (They look like giant jalapenos)
2 lg. eggs, separated
1/2 tsp. salt
Monterey Jack cheese
Flour for coating
Oil for frying

Broil peppers until skin is blackened and bubbly, turning to make sure all sides are even. Remove from oven. Put in plastic bag. Let cool. Peel off outer layer of skin. Slice down one side and remove seeds. (If you remove the seeds before you broil, they won't be as spicy-hot.) Stuff with cheese. Coat generously with flour. Beat egg whites till stiff. Beat yolks and fold into beaten egg whites. Add salt. Dip stuffed peppers into egg mixture. Fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides.

It usually works out better if you fry the split side of the pepper first. That way, the cheese will be sealed in with the browned crust.

Sauce ( I don't normally use this sauce, but a lot of people like it. Usually, I'll just put a little salsa and sour cream on top of the chiles.)

1 can tomato sauce
3 tbsp. chopped onion
1/4 tsp. garlic
3 oz. tomatoes and green chili peppers
1/4 c. water if needed

Carole
11-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Ok, this one is a really old recipe. Granny's (mom's mom) tomato dumplings. Sounds odd. You just have to taste it. Either you'll love it or never want to try it again. Eveyone in my family loves it.

Mom tells me that Granny learned to make these from her mom. It's hard to say just how old this recipe really is. When Granny was in her mid 80's, the family got together and made a cookbook called Mom's Cooking, filled with all her old recipes. That's one of my most cherished books! Granny would be 105 if she were still living, but she left us when she was 89.

Granny's Tomato Dumplings

3 large cans (3 quarts) of whole tomatoes without the skins (Home canned is WAY better)
1/4 C sugar
2 C flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp Lard (remember, this is a really old recipe. I use Crisco instead of lard)
1 c buttermilk

Pour the tomatoes and all their liquid into a soup pot and add the sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.

Sift all the remaining dry ingredients together in a bowl. Cut shortening into the flour mixture with a fork until it's evenly distributed.

With a spoon, scoop up dollops of the dumpling mixture and drop into the simmering liquid. The dumplings will sink at first, then rise to the surface. Keep dropping the dumplings into the liquid, even though the surface of the pot will be covered with dumplings. The new ones you add will sink, and by the time they rise, they won't attach to the others. Continue until you've used up all the dumpling mixture or until you have all you want in the pot.

Cover with a loose fitting lid and simmer for about an hour, adding a little water if the pot begins to get low.

These will be good on the first day. They will be MUCH better on the second day. The dumplings will be fluffier on the first day and denser on the second.

Jaycinth
11-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Jello Pie.

This is a dumb easy desert. But my family thinks I work hard on it. “Mom…if I fold the laundry…wash the cat…dig the garden…change your oil…will you make a jello pie tonight? I guess I’m outing myself.

1 box of jello. ( regular or sugar free, who cares)

1 tub of Cool Whip- thawed (Or the generic..regular or fat free…who cares)

1 pre-made Oreo pie crust ( Or graham cracker or vanilla wafer…ditto)
Water. (Duuuuhhhhhhh)

Make the jello according to directions but add only 7/8 cup of cold water. Mix well and chill until loosely set. ( It will be close to holding shape, like a hair gel)

Add most of the container of whipped topping. ( Put the rest in your coffee, or throw it at the kids for squeals of......delight.)

Mix well….your jello will turn a nice pastel shade…(like Easter…AWWWWWWW)

Pour it into the pie crust, it should be thick enough to mound up and form a little peak in the center. If not, don’t sweat it. Refrigerate for 2 or 3 hours or more.)

Act like it is a big deal when you serve it, or take it to your office and hog it to yourself.

For Halloween, I put chocolate sprinkles on an orange pie and made a ‘pie-o-lantern’.

Maryn
11-02-2005, 01:32 AM
CHINESE STIR-FRY

3/4 to 1 pound chicken, round steak, or pork, cut into bite-size pieces or strips
Cornstarch
Soy sauce
1/2 - 1 tsp. chopped or minced garlic, fresh or from a jar, water- or oil-pack
2 Tbsp. cooking oil: vegetable, peanut, or canola
Vegetables cut into bite-sized pieces, 2 - 6 cups

In a small bowl, mix 2 tsp. cornstarch with 2 tsp. soy sauce and 1/2 to 1 tsp. garlic. Coat meat. If you don’t have enough mixture to coat it, in a separate dish or cup mix another 1 tsp. cornstarch and 1 tsp. soy sauce and pour into bowl. (Flavor sinks in if you let meat sit in the mixture for a while [30 minutes to all day], in the refrigerator.) Leave the soy sauce and corn starch out--you'll be using them again.

Heat oil in large skillet or wok. Stir-fry meat for 2 minutes or until it shows no pink or red. Don't worry about some of the sauce mixture sticking. Add vegetables (broccoli, snow peas, mushrooms, bok choy, red or green pepper, thinly-sliced carrots, coarsely chopped onion, canned baby corn, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, straw mushrooms, etc.) and stir fry about 3 minutes, to heat through.

In a small bowl or cup, mix 1/3 c. cool water, 1/4 c. soy sauce, and 1 Tbsp. cornstarch. Pour into skillet or wok and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Serve over cooked rice or pasta.

The trick to making the sticky rice that goes right is to use short-grain rice and to get to know your own stove. On mine, I bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil, throw in 1 cup of short-grain rice, and reduce the heat to low. It takes exactly 18 minutes. In our old house, it was 16.

I will bow to anybody's more authentic recipe, but this one works with just about everything except fresh fish.

Maryn, decent cook

Carole
11-02-2005, 07:42 AM
My mother in law gave me this recipe. It is probably my favorite cake in the world. I know a lot of people don't like black walnuts, myself included. I tried to substitute English walnuts, and it tasted wrong. The black walnuts are really necessary for the combinations to taste right. They sorta mellow during the baking process.

Chop Suey Cake

2 C sifted flour
2 C sugar
1 C chopped black walnuts (reserve a little for garnishing the frosting)
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 large can crushed pineapple with the juice
1/2 C flaked coconut (or more, if you like it)

Mix all ingredients together (including the juice form the pineapple) until well blended. Pour into greased and floured 9X13 cake pan.

Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes

Frosting

1 large pkg cream cheese (the regular Philadelphia pkg)
2 C powdered sugar
1 stick butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla
**optional-you can add coconut to the frosting, too

Beat all ingredients together until smooth. **important-Frost the cake while it's still warm. Garnish with reserved balck walnuts.

This cake should be refrigerated. Found that out the hard way!

Jaycinth
11-02-2005, 09:25 PM
When my cousins and I were all little kids, my older cousin made us scared to eat sweet potatoes. My grandmother had to find a way to get us to eat them again.

I only remember how to make a ‘family’ batch.

8 sweet, thick-skinned oranges.

4 or 5 big sweet potatoes…about the size of two fists together. (some stores call them Yams)

a bag of marshmallows

3 - 4 tsps cinnamon

1tsp nutmeg

½ tsp ginger ( better…fresh grated ginger)

½ cup plus 2tbsp dark brown sugar. ( you can use honey, corn syrup or molasses)

1tbsp dark rum

1 pinch of salt

1tsp baking soda

1/8 cup flour.

Boil sweet potatoes until they are soft enough to mash. Cool them, skin them and do just that, in a BIG bowl.

Cut oranges in half. Squeeze out some of the juice (mix it with the vodka you’re hiding from the kids) Scoop out the pulp, pull out the white fibrous stuff, and put into the remaining pulp into the sweet potato mixture. Save the scooped out orange halves.

Cover a baking pan ( one with at least 1” sides) with foil. Arrange the 16 empty orange halves on the sheet. Put a dab of butter ( like a thumbnail sized shaving) in the bottom of each and the barest pinch of cinnamon into the bottom of each.

Preheat oven to 375

Put the rest of the cinnamon and all of the other ingredients except the marshmallows into the bowl with the sweet-potato/orange mixture. Beat well. ( I suggest a hand mixer at high for 5 min) You want a smooth texture like mashed potatoes.)

Spoon the mixture into the orange halves, mounding it like cupcakes. ( You may have left over mixture. Grandma used to use it as a spread….peanut butter and sweet potato sandwiches.)

Bake at 375 for 15 min. Remove from oven Put marshmallows on top of each.(Optional : sprinkle with more cinnamon) Return to oven until the marshmallow is browned and gooey.

Remove, cool and serve.

Didja LIKE it? Didja!?!?!

Jaycinth
11-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Pear and Walnut Pie.

(You can substitute Apples. My neighbor has a pear tree.)

Get one of those refrigerated pie crusts that you roll out and put in the pie shell. They come in 2’s so you will have your top crust also. ( If you prefer to make your own crust..cool! My pie crusts never come out right so I stopped trying.)

6 to 10 pears depending on size. Any variety will do.

1 lb (approx) of shelled walnuts. (halves...pieces.. you can even use pecans!)

1 shot(oz) dark rum

1tbsp ground or powdered cinnamon (leave the jar out)

1tsp nutmeg. (leave the jar out)

1 tsp ginger

½ tsp mace

½ tsp salt.

¾ cup dark brown sugar

1tbsp butter. (BUTTER!!!!!)

1tbsp molasses ( or a nice honey)

1tbsp oat bran.( You can put oatmeal in a blender to powder it somewhat. Works fine)

Prepare the bottom crust and put it in a deep dish pie pan.

Put the butter and molasses in a cup. Microwave under supervision until butter just melts. Remove. Stir well Add rum stir well.

In a large mixing bowl combine your butter/rum/molasses mixture. Add ½ cup of the brown sugar. Stir. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, ginger, salt and oatbran. Stir until blended.

Put ½ of your walnuts into your blender. Grind them to‘flour’. Add to bowl, stir well.

Peel, core and cut up your pears. ( I prefer tiny diced pieces in this pie.) Add them to the bowl and stir them in one by one. ( I usually eye this out as the fruits vary in size. You should stop cutting up pears when you determine you have enough to fill the crust.)

Spoon your mixture into the crust. Pat it down solidly with your spoon.

Take a handful of the remaining walnuts and use your hands to crumble them across the pie. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over that.

If you like, sprinkle more cinnamon and nutmeg on it too.

Preheat oven to 425.

Prepare the top crust. You can slice it into strips and make a basket weave, or you can take a Xmas cookie cutter and cut moons and stars into it to make it pretty. ( Or you can slap on the upper crust, poke a few hole into it and call it a day.)

Squeeze the crusts together on the edge and trim off any excess.

Put the pie in the oven at 425 degrees F for 10 min. Reduce heat to 350F and continue cooking for another 30 to 40 min. At 30 min begin checking on it. When the crust is browned nicely, take it out.

Cool and eat.

pconsidine
11-10-2005, 02:13 AM
I actually created a recipe for Wild Rice Stuffed Chicken Breast with Balsamic Honey Glaze, but it got a little complicated so I couldn't even begin to tell you about it without finding the recipe (yes, I actually wrote it all down). If that sounds good to anyone, I can see about drumming up the recipe for it. But man did it turn out well.

Jaycinth
11-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Ok. Start all over again. Be back with Ziti.

Jaycinth
11-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Long ago, before the birth of multimillion dollar drug companies, people still got sick. Back then there were people known as "the weird old herb lady that lives at the end of the block and has all of the cats."
When all else (leeches, scourging, starvation) failed, the survivors would make their way to the crazy lady and she would pluck some herbs and boil them and force the sick people to drink them. The people who survived that became the human race we have today. Considering over-population, I think the survivial rate was phenomenal.

(Ok, well maybe the Zicam had something to do with that.)

Here is the chest cold recipie straight from the great- great- ( hundreds of generations great) grand cat of the old herb lady who was mistakenly burned as a witch in 1632 (three days after that everybody in the village got a bad chest cold, covered themselves with leeches and died before the vampires got there and could do a proper job of it.)

Fresh herbs are better, but it is November so the instructions are for dried.

In a cup, measure 2 oz of rum, vodka or gin. Add 1 powdered ( crumple it up between your fingers) teaspoon each of Basil, Oregano, Red Clover, Peppermint, Spearmint, Chamomile and licorice root. Add1 oz water. cover lightly. Microwave until it steams ( almost boils). The use a spoon and mash the stuff until you get a kind of paste. Then, depending on your taste, mix the result with 16 oz of water and simmer for 3 min to make a tea. ( Yes, you can add honey or sugar. No Milk.) Drink 8 oz now and 8 oz in 6 hours. ( Drink regular tea, water and juice between the cold-tea).

If you don't like the tea, add a couple shots of liquor and drink with 7up. Remembering that soda will dehydrate you and you will need to drink water and orange juice.

This will clear your chest.

I will come back later with the kick *** chicken soup recipie that goes along with this.

threedogpeople
11-22-2005, 10:02 PM
This is a great introduction to tofu for people that haven't tried it. I've served this at parties and people have asked for my recipe.

======================
Judy's Tofu Parmesan

1 package Extra Firm Tofu
½ cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Cooking oil
1 package frozen whole leaf spinach
½ of a quart jar of Classico Spicy Red Pepper Sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (12 ounces)
½ cup parmesan

Place bread crumbs and garlic salt in a plastic bag – shake. Slice tofu into ¼ inch slices, coat with bread crumb mixture.

Heat small amount of cooking oil (just enough to cover the bottom of your skillet). Brown tofu in skillet until edges are golden brown. Drain on paper towel lined plate. Set aside.

Defrost spinach and squeeze out water.

In an 8 inch square non-stick baking dish spread the bottom with a small amount of sauce, then layer tofu, sauce, cheeses until you have only enough tofu, sauce and cheese for the last layer. Layer in the spinach, finish with tofu, sauce and cheese.

Bake in 385 degree oven until hot and cheese on top starts to brown.

This is a very forgiving recipe. It can be doubled. You can add more cheese, less cheese, more spinach, skip the spinach, add a layer of fresh basil leaves, layer in drained fire roasted red peppers, layer in a very thinly sliced zucchini (microwave it first until almost done), choose your own sauce, skip browning the tofu if you are in a hurry, use a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar, use pepper jack and cheddar, etc. It can also be assembled the day before and baked at the last minute. You can use Firm tofu instead of Extra Firm but we like the extra firm the best. Main Course – serves 2-3 adults; side dish 4-6 adults.

Jaycinth
11-22-2005, 10:40 PM
So here it is:
Chicken Soup For Your Cold.

1lb of boneless skinless chicken cut into small chunks.

(ALTERNATELY: The carcass of the chicken that you cooked, picked over and is now sitting there with meat on it but not quite enough to make a meal for 2)

½ cup chopped celery

½ cup sliced carrots.

¼ cup diced onion. ( You can use 1/8 cup of dried onion)

1/8 cup diced garlic. ( You can use dried garlic, jar-ed garlic or even garlic powder ( 2 tsp) do not use garlic salt.)

1 tsp lemon juice.

½ tsp dill.

1tbsp dried crumbled Basil

1 tbsp dried crumbled Oregano

½ tsp chopped fresh cilantro ( or two pinches of cumin)

2 pinches turmeric

½ tsp paprika.

½ dried cayenne pepper. (Ok you can use a couple of shakes of chili powder or a couple shakes of dried powdered cayenne.)

1/8 of a sweet red-pepper diced and diced real fine.

1/8 cup olive oil

a pinch of black pepper.

1 cube of chicken buillion SALT ALERT! (you will need this if you used white meat chicken.)

A handful of egg noodles if you swing that way or a handful of brown rice if you swing THAT way.

Bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add the olive oil and the chicken. Continue boiling for 10 -15 min. reduce heat to a simmer. Add everything else except noodles or rice. Stir in. simmer for 1-2 hours or until carrots are soft. Add salt if you need it.

Add noodles or rice if you want it. Cook on low until rice or noodles are edible.

Eat. Relax, Repeat. ( My Russian Father in Law claims that you have to add two shots of vodka to this. If you take my cold remedy you don’t need to worry about that.)

Puddle Jumper
11-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Does anyone here know how to make Stuffing?

CORN CASSEROLE

½ cup butter - melted
2 eggs - beaten
1 (8.5 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn - drained
1 (14.75 ounce) can creamed corn
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly grease a 9x9 inch baking dish
In medium bowl combine butter, eggs, corn bread mix, whole and creamed corn, & sour cream
Pour mixture into prepared dish
Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown

To double the recipe use a 9x13 pan and bake for about 55-60 minutes.

WVWriterGirl
11-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Here again is Ball Game Hot Chocolate, good for the kiddies and stuff. Make a whole batch, it keeps for an eternity.

Ball Game Hot Chocolate
8 qt. Powdered Milk
1 lb. box powdered sugar
22 oz. jar Cremora (not as good with other brands)
1 lb. box Hershey Cocoa Mix

Put in large container and mix. Add 1/3 cup of mix to a cup (styrofoam) and fill with hot water.

Amount of mix to a cup may need to be adjusted for use with a mug - this recipe was used for sale in a concession stand using a small-sized styrofoam cup, so it may be a little off for larger cups/mugs.

Jaycinth
11-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Does anyone here know how to make Stuffing?

Grandma’s Famous Oyster STUFFING:

Buy a standard size bag of ‘stuffing crumbs’ from your grocery. Generic is fine. Some brands come herb seasoned.

If you really want to start from scratch, get a loaf of bread. Pepperidge farm is best. Toast it all. Then cut it up ( you know as best as you can) into ½ inch cubes ( kinda cube like ok?)

Also: Chicken broth(optional)

Jimmy Dean Mild Sausage roll

2- 3 oz tins of smoked oysters, or a 8 oz ‘cup’ of raw oysters ( Also optional)

½ cup white wine ( optional)

In a small bowl mix the following:

1 tsp each: diced garlic, basil, rosemary, oregano, and salt.

1 pinch each: black pepper, paprika, tarragon and savory.

½ medium onion diced

½ small sweet red pepper, diced.

Cover and set aside.

Take the turkey giblets. Boil in a cup (8 oz) water until cooked.

(Ok here it gets tricky. Some people use the giblets to make gravy; some people chop them up and put them in the Stuffing. If you are making gravy too, then set them aside, covered in the fridge until gravy time.)

Remove the giblets from the'water', reserving the broth, in a cup to use later. ( Note, you can use chicken bullion or broth too!)

Chop the giblets up fine. Set aside.

Dice the oysters, toss in with the giblets.

In a frying pan, crumble up ½ the roll of sausage. ( You can use the whole roll!). Begin to stir fry. When sizzling, add the oysters and giblets. Stir fry for 5 min. Add the contents of the bowl. Continue to stirfry for 5-10 more min ( or until it looks done, but not burned) Add the reserved broth, simmer for an additional 5 min. Turn off heat, add the wine ( If you opt out of wine, add water) stir well.

Empty your bread crumbs or stuffing mix into a big bowl, or the final baking pan. Slowly stir in the mix from your frying pan. Be careful to get the solids in firat, followed by the liquid. If it is too moist for your taste, stop adding liquid. If it isn’t keep adding liquid. (You can always add a tad more wine or water, but DON’T turn this into oatmeal or gruel)

After it is well blended, moist but not soupy wet, cover with foil and bake at 350 f for 20-30 min. Remove the foil for the last 5 min if you want it crispy on top.

Vanessa
11-24-2005, 01:00 AM
You all are making me hungry with all the great recipes in here. Sorry I hadn't posted anything. I'm not good at measuring out recipes. I really need to learn how to do that. How do you all do that?
I usually put in whatever ingredient by instinct, mix, stir, cook and serve. You get the idea. I'll be fair and not mess up the thread without posting a recipe. Please excuse the non-measured out details. (So sad I know) This comes from my website.

Crawfsh Ettouffee

Make a roux - flour and oil (olive oil) and tablespoon of butter (not margarine) - and brown to a light brown color. Drop in some chopped white onions, chopped fresh garlic, chopped bell peppers (not too much). Sauté' the veggies.

Add water to the roux, a tablespoon of tomato paste to color. Don't make it too red, it won't look right! It'll look like spaghetti.

Stir to break up paste. Add chopped parsley, a few bay leaves, more garlic, lemon pepper, Tony Chachare's or any seasoned salt of preference, (Tony's is the best) black pepper (not too much) and cayenne to taste. I like it hot!

Bring to a good simmer, stir occasionally. taste often for preference of salt. You should start to smell the aroma of a Cajun cook in your kitchen.

Add crawfish tails. You can buy the crawfish tails already peeled and ready to cook. I usually do about 4 or 5 packs. I strain them in a colander before adding them to the pot. Keep in mind that you want to use as much of the yellow stuff as possible. (that's the fat) It's flavorful.

Stir in crawfish tails, cook for about 10 minutes or so. Add chopped green onions. (Lots) This makes this dish so good. Stir in well.

At this point, you should have a moderate thick gravy heaping full of seasonings and crawfish tails.

Keep in mind when you make your roux, the thickening of your gravy will be determined by how much flour you use. Too much can be pasty. You don't want that. But not enough can make a thin gravy.

Serve hot over white rice.

Jaycinth
11-28-2005, 03:00 AM
MMMmmmmmmmmm Soup:Coffee:

(This can be a vegetarian dish)

4 large fresh tomatoes chopped fine

(or 1-24oz can-drained of peeled or whole tomatoes chopped or stick them in the blender for 1 min)

1 medium yellow onion chopped fine

2 celery stalks cut into neat small pieces.

4 carrots cut into neat small pieces.

1 sweet red pepper cut into neat small pieces.

1 small summer squash or zucchini cut into neat small pieces.

1/4 cup chopped garlic.

1 leek sliced into thin circles. Use some of the green stuff too. Chop it fine.

1/2 cup red cabbage (chopped)

1 can of white beans (canneloni) rinsed

1/4 cup of barley

1 handful of spiral pasta (Save and add to soup during the last 30 min of cooking)

1/4 cup wheat or oat bran

½ cup finely chopped spinach

2 tsp each dried basil, oregano, rosemary.

1tsp each dill and parsley

½ tsp each ginger, turmeric, black pepper, paprika, cumin and celery seed

1 tsp molasses, honey or dark brown sugar.

1 tsp salt ( if you need to add salt.)

1 cup red wine

8-10 cups of water

(1 cup diced meat of your choice if you think you need it)

In your soup pot heat 1/4 cup olive oil or canola oil (or regular cooking oil but not peanut oil!)

Add garlic, onion, tomatoes, celery and carrots. Stir fry until fragrant.

Gradually add the remaining ingredients, saving the molasses and wine for last.

Add water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 2- 3 hours or until veggies are soft. Add spiral pasta during last ½ hour of cooking.

Serve with a dark, heavy , thick bread. Toast it a bit.

threedogpeople
11-29-2005, 12:34 AM
I made the cabbage rolls...WOW! My husband loved them. I did change the recipe a tiny bit. We aren't big fans of polish sausage so I added 1/2 lb. of hot italian sausage (removed from the casing) to the meat/rice mixture. Thanks, Carole! They were wonderful.

Carole
11-29-2005, 12:50 AM
I made the cabbage rolls...WOW! My husband loved them. I did change the recipe a tiny bit. We aren't big fans of polish sausage so I added 1/2 lb. of hot italian sausage (removed from the casing) to the meat/rice mixture. Thanks, Carole! They were wonderful.
Cool! Mom will be thrilled to know this :) Now I am craving them!!

threedogpeople
11-29-2005, 12:54 AM
This is a simple, simple recipe for even the non-cooks out there.

4 chicken breasts
2 ounces prosciutto (paper thin dry cured Italian ham)
4 ounces of mozarella cheese (or olive tepanade, or pesto, or some fire roasted red pepper)

Divide the cheese into 4ths.
Butterfly the chicken breasts
Place the cheese on one side of the chicken breast & close

Take the prosciutto slices and wrap the chicken breasts (cover the whole thing). If you have extra prosciutto, add a second layer to the breasts. If you don't have quite enough don't worry about it,

Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Put in the fridge for at least an hour.

Unwrap and grill on a hot BBQ until the prosciutto is crisp and the chicken breast is done (it takes about 10 minutes on the first side and 6 on the second on my grill - yours may be different!). These could probably be cooked in a 385 degree oven but I've never tried it.

I created this recipe after I got a huge box of chicken breasts on sale and we were getting sick of my regular recipes (there are only 2 of us).

PattiTheWicked
11-29-2005, 05:57 AM
OK, my neighbor called me at 2 pm today in a tizzy because she just realzied she had to take a snack to her daughter's scout meeting tonight, and had NO idea what to make. She needed suggestions, so I browsed my pantry and whipped this up in about ten mintues:

Peppermint Fudge

2 boxes semi-sweet baker's chocolate (16 squares total)
1 can condensed milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp peppermint extract

Put the chocolate and the condensed milk in a microwave safe bowl. Nuke on high for 3 minutes, stopping about halfway to stir. Once it's done microwaving, stir everything up until it's well mixed, and then stir in the vanilla and peppermint extract. Spread evenly in a foil-lined 8x8 pan, and stick it in the fridge until firm. Once it's hardened, remove from pan and cut into 1" squares. Pig out.

This turned out so good I'm going to make a buttload of it and include it in my annual Baked Goodies Baskets.

threedogpeople
12-05-2005, 10:15 PM
This isn't a recipe but it is a link for great veggie recipes.

http://www.justvegetablerecipes.com/inxbrc-page17.html

I've been using it when I have "something" in the fridge and I want something different. I've made several (5 or 6) of the broccoli and cauliflower recipes and they were all terrific! Tonight I'm going to try the Quinoa with Broccoli Rabe.

Judy

Jaycinth
12-08-2005, 09:55 PM
1 -28oz can of peeled tomatoes (If you want, you can buy a jar of pasta sauce and skip this step) Empty the tomatoes into your blender and hit puree. Give it 60-90 seconds. (If you do not have a blender use that thingie you have to mash potatoes and smash those tomatoes into sauce)!

1 lb of Sweet Italian Sausage, ground beef, or extra firm tofu

1 Box of uncooked Ziti (pasta)

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. (ok, you can use canola oil)

1 tsp molasses or brown sugar or honey.

1 tsp dried basil (or 1tbsp of fresh chopped basil)

1 tsp dried oregano (or 1tbsp of fresh chopped oregano)

1 tsp dried rosemary (or 1tbsp of fresh chopped rosemary)

1 tsp dried onion flakes (or 1tbsp of fresh chopped onion…more if you like onion)

2 tbsp of fresh chopped garlic (or you can use the chopped that comes in the jar in the fresh produce section..or if you must, garlic powder)

1 pinch each of black pepper, paprika, thyme, salt and cilantro.

6 oz of low fat or fat free ricotta cheese ( most of an 8oz container)

6-8 oz of low fat part skim grated mozzarella cheese. ( most of one of those bags)

2 tbsp of parmesian cheese….optional

1 bottle of red wine.

If you use sausage, boil it for 10 min, remove from heat, and slice into chunks.

In a large pot, boil water. Add ½ to ¾ of the box of Ziti. Cook until tender, remove from heat and drain.

In a frying pan (preferably an iron one) warm the olive oil. Add your sausage, using a fork to crumble it up while you stir fry it, about 9 min or until the sausage isn’t pinkish. (If you use ground beef or extra firm tofu, crumble them into the pan then stir fry them until browned.)

Now add the tomato sauce, molasses, basil, oregano, rosemary, onion, garlic, black pepper, paprika, salt, cilantro and ¼ cup of the wine. Stir and simmer, simmer and stir. Give this 20 min. on low heat, covered to keep the flavor in.

In a large lasagna pan (yes, the one you use to make brownies in on the cold, cold days…13x9x3 it should be.) Put the sauce mixture in. Add the ricotta cheese and all but a handful of the mozzarella cheese. Stir, stir, stir.

Gradually add the cooked Ziti. Fold in well. ( Stir, stir stir)

Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and the parmesan if you decide to use it.

Bake at 350 for 20 min or until the cheese is bubbling.

Remove from oven, let cool. Serve with a spinach salad.

OH OH OH!!! If your kids won't eat a spinach salad...take a bag of frozen chopped spinach and crumble the frozen spinach intothe baking pan as you add the sauce. They will suspect, but they won't stop eating!!

WerenCole
12-08-2005, 11:44 PM
In my real life were my name is not Weren Cole, I am a trained Chef who has recently stopped managing restaurants more or less because of the physical strain and the desire to move onto other avenues of my life. Despite my current affliction against being in the restaurant I do still have passion for food, so, if you have any questions about how to throw a party or make something in particular, I can be of service.

I don't really like to write out long recipes for people who don't know how to cook (I just find that it takes a lot more explaining than when I tell one of my cooks to emulsify something) but I will give you a menu for a five course meal:

The first thing you need to realize about a five course plated dinner is that it is actually more like 7-8 courses, but only 6-7 are presented at the table. Think of it as italian style eating, bread is a course, salad is a course, yada yada

Start:
First thing for a party in which the dinner is plated and served is that when the people arrive you must two things for them: Beverages and Hor'dorveurs.
Start with a couple selections of wine (Beujalais is a good winter red, fresh and fruity) and at least two "snack" sized bitables

Duck Confit on crostini with reduced fig syrup
California Sushi Role with pickled ginger wasabi and soy sauce
-these are good for the holidays because the sushi will bring people back to warmer times while the duck and fig is a reminder of the holiday season

Then every one sits down, and the bread comes out. . . serve bread in moderation as there is a lot more food to come

First taste- Before people start eating in earnest it is appropriate to send out a very small appetizer called a mouse boush (I don't think that is spelled right) It should be light and palate pleasing, not heavy and flavorfull.

Hallowed half Roma Tomato stuffed with pickled shallot, lump crab meat and julienned english cucumber

Next Comes the soup. . . depending on the weather one should determine whether it will be vegetable based or legume based. . . I am lazy so I will say it is cold but not wintry and make a veggie based soup

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Bisue garnished with creme fraiche and fresh chopped cilantro

Next comes the salad- always choose fresh mixed greens as opposed to iceberg or romaine. . . it is classier and tastes better

Maytag Blue Cheese crumbled over greens with honey balsamic vinaigrette with julienned granny smith apples and toasted candied walnuts

Now we start getting into entres. . . don't kill them with starches, they have already had bread and will be eating desert. . . every one loves beef, though I would stay away from chicken, to plain. . everyone eats lots of chicken, if you are going to throw a party might as give them something a little different

Parmesean Crusted Rack of Lamb served served over herbed risotton with sauteed spinach and a reduced port glaze

The next entree should be a touch lighter, a smaller poultry (quail or squab perhaps) if you guests are of the anti-fish variety, but I suggest a light fish dish

Seared Mahi Mahi served over scalloped potatoes with a beurre blanc sauce and vegetable confetti (mixed vegetables shredded on a mandolin then sauteed very light in butter with salt and pepper, use peppers, onions, carrots and zuchinni for a variety of color)

Por Fin- Les Postres
It is the holiday season, so let us do something decadent and what is more decadent than a bunch of chocolate. . .

Molten Chocolate cake served with fresh whipped cream and garnished with homemade chocolate truffles and a butter scotch sauce

Now, if any one really wants a heart attack, I can give you the "souped up" version of a holiday feast, but I think I will let doctor atkins lay in his grave for the time being

Peace be with you in your holiday adventures

Dan (a cook)
Weren (a cooks alto ego)

blisswriter
12-11-2005, 09:09 AM
... I do have a ton of recipes on my computer. Here are a few. Hope y'all enjoy them. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Harvest Apple Crisp

4 medium Granny Smith or other tart apple(s), peeled, cored and sliced (about 7 cups)
1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cups dried cranberries or raisins (optional)
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cups Shedd’s Spread Country Crock® Spread Plus Yogurt
3/4 cups quick cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/4 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350º.
In large bowl, combine apples, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Stir in dried cranberries. Turn into greased 2-quart casserole; set aside.
In another large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. With pastry blender or two knives, cut in Shedd's Spread Country Crock Spread Plus Yogurt until mixture issize of small peas. Stir in oats and walnuts. Evenly sprinkle over apples.
Bake 45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden. Serve warm or at room temperature and, if desired, with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Zucchini Hash Browns

1 Tbs olive oil
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup chopped red onion
1 tsp thyme
1 Tbs basil
4 medium zucchinis, grated
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup black olives, chopped
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
4 eggs, separated

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and saute the garlic and onions until the onions begin to look translucent.
Add the herbs and cook for another few minutes.
Add the zucchini and lower the heat.
Cook for another 5 minutes.
Remove this from the heat, taste, and add salt and pepper as you like.
When you've gotten the flavor you like, add the parsley and olives.
Taste again to see what the parsley and olives have done to your flavoring and adjust if necessary. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour and Parmesan. Stir this into the zucchini mixture.
Whisk the egg yolks and add them to the mixture.
Then, beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the mixture.
Heat a skillet and add some oil for cooking.
When the oil begins to sizzle, add the batter to the skillet (a la pancakes).From here, you can work the fritters much like pancakes.
Carefully flip them over when they begin to brown. Don't allow them to burn. Between each fritter set, inspect the pan to make sure there is enough oil so that you do not burn the next set. Serve these with fresh tomatoes or salsa.

blisswriter
12-11-2005, 09:12 AM
My momma is a vegetarian and was a raw-foodist at one time. She's made this before and it's one I really like.

Live Carrot Cake

1/2 cup soft pitted dates
1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen pineapple, well drained
3/4 cup dried apples
1 cup carrot pulp
1/2 cup fine unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice

Puree dates and pineapple in blender or food processor.
Grind apples till fine.
Mix all the ingredients together and shape into two layer "cakes" about 6 inches round.
Assemble the layers one on top of the other with a frosting between and on top made of almond or cashew cheese sweetened with rice bran syrup.
Almost no added sweeteners and REALLY yummy.

Also, you can use carrot pulp to make burger type patties with ground, soaked sunflower seeds, minced celery, garlic and seasonings of your choice.

I haven't tried this one yet but my daughter loves tacos so maybe we'll do this soon.

COUSCOUS TACOS

1 14.5-oz can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 cup red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup chopped onion
4 tsp. taco seasoning mix
1 cup whole-wheat/regular couscous
1 10.5-oz. pkg. light tofu, extra firm, drained and crumbled
8 taco shells, heated
1 cup lettuce chopped
1 cup lowfat cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
Salsa
Low-fat sour cream (optional)

In a large saucepan, over medium heat, combine undrained stewed tomatoes, beans, vegetable broth, onion and taco seasoning.
Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and tofu. Cover and remove from stove. Let stand 5 minutes.
Spoon couscous mixture into taco shells.
Top with lettuce, cheese, salsa and sour cream.

threedogpeople
12-11-2005, 09:57 PM
10 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking powder
4 tsp. salt
2 cups all vegetable shortening

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 12 1/2 cups.

This is sooooo much better than that well known baking mix that comes in the yellow box. Plus, you know exactly what went into the mixture.

UPDATE - This mix doesn't work for dumplings, they are too tender and they completely fall apart.

Jaycinth
12-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Makes approximately 4 dozen per ‘box’ However now I feel like a cheat posting it below the recipie above. Maybe Threedogpeople will forgive me one day.

1 box of Cake mix. Usually at this time of year, the chains put the name brands on sale for $1.00 a box or less so use Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker. They come in a lot of different flavors that you can play with. The store brands are passable but I don’t think they have enough of something the national brands do and they didn’t turn out as well for me.

¼ cup plus 2 tsp sifted flour ( if you don’t have a sifter, stir it with a fork until the lumps are gone)

½ cup plus 2 tsp Canola Oil (you can use extra virgin olive oil or you can melt ½ cup of butter. You can use veg. oil if you must.)

¼ cup of water.

1 egg ( medium or large, not jumbo)

Put all ingredients in a bowl and using a big wooden (or plastic spoon) mix well. Make sure all of the big lumps of flour and cake mix are broken up and the batter is smooth. You should be able to take a teaspoon of it and roll it into a ball that keeps its shape, and is slightly greasy (you know, a bit of a shine on it.) If it does not keep its shape, add a tsp more flour or so.

Preheat oven to 350 f . Take your cookie sheet(s) ( try to get two cookie sheets going at the same time) and line with foil. ( Cooking parchment is much better, but it is 4 times as much as foil…so. . .)

Take spoonfuls of the cookie dough and roll it into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. You should get 12 on a sheet, spaced nicely. Use your thumb or the back of a spoon to flatten them slightly. Bake at 350 for 10 -12 min. ( serious..do not leave the kitchen!) Remove from oven and let cool. Remove from sheet and put on a plate.

NOTES AND VARIATIONS:

1) If the cookies stick they either have not cooked the full 10-12 min or you didn’t put in enough oil. Try adding an extra tsp of oil.

2) Let the cookie sheets cool to room temp between batches of cookies. This will prevent burning.

3) You can add: chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, nuts, raisens, dried fruits, and flavorings to these cookies. You can turn an orange flavored cookie ..really orange with food color. You can also add extra orange extract. You can make a batch or red cookies ( strawberry cake mix and red dye and strawberry flavoring) and a batch of orange (ditto) and after you press an indentation on each of the little balls, just put a teenie ballof the other color on top and they look fantastic after they are baked.

4) You can add 3 tablespoons of peanut butter to a chocolate or yellow cake mix and have a FANTASTIC peanut butter cookie.

5) You can add a ½ oz of Jack Daniels or any other liquor to a chocolate or spice flavor and come up with a nice after dinner cookie. If you add Jack or Bacardi to the cookie, you can put a Hershey’s kiss or a marichino cherry on the top, and make it a confection.

6) If you don’t have ascess to a lot of flavored cake mixes….a half a box of lime, strawberry, cherry etc jello makes a nice flavoring.

7) You can adapt this recipie any way you want to! So GO FOR IT.

Ok, this is it. Ready to ROCK?!?!?!?!

threedogpeople
03-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Does anyone have a tasty tuna casserole recipe; one dish, easy (no mushrooms please - we're not fond of fungi)?

Susie
03-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Here's a recipe for what else would I post besides something chocolate, chocolate cookies:) They're yummy!

Chocolate Cookies

l pound sugar
l pound grated sweet chocolate
l pound butter
l lemon, juice and rind
l pound ground almonds
l l/2 pounds flour
6 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder

Cream shortening. Add sugar. Blend thoroughly. Add eggs and beat well. Add the almonds, lemon juice and rind. Mix baking powder with the flour. Add to first mixture. Mix thoroughly. Chill. Roll to one-eight inch thickness, on a floured moulding board. Bake on a greased baking sheet in a moderately hot oven for ten minutes.

WerenCole
03-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Earlier in the day I tried to post a detailed explanation of a soft shell crab sandwich. . . but I was doing it at the library computer at the university, and the damn browser ate it.

It was my longest post in months. Akin to some of the other recipes I have done (see above for the christmas five course dinner. . .)

ThreeDog. . . DO NOT MAKE A TUNA CASSEROLE.. . oh why dear lord would anybody ever stoop to something like that. I can't even stand the thought.

Disgruntled Weren
Personal Chef of the AW Water Cooler

threedogpeople
03-09-2006, 02:48 AM
Earlier in the day I tried to post a detailed explanation of a soft shell crab sandwich. . . but I was doing it at the library computer at the university, and the damn browser ate it.

It was my longest post in months. Akin to some of the other recipes I have done (see above for the christmas five course dinner. . .)

ThreeDog. . . DO NOT MAKE A TUNA CASSEROLE.. . oh why dear lord would anybody ever stoop to something like that. I can't even stand the thought.

Disgruntled Weren

Poor, poor Waren, you must have been mistreated as a child. Tuna casserole was one of the staples at our house but my Mom's recipe is too da@# complicated. Fabulous but too complicated for a lazy cook to make. Good tuna though - not that one level lower and it would be cat food tuna. The good stuff - solid white albacore in spring water.

WerenCole
03-09-2006, 04:20 AM
Canned tuna is cat food. No exceptions. Mistreated as a child? I would say that my parents did me a favor by not subjecting me to that crap.

And the name is Weren.

September skies
03-09-2006, 05:11 AM
Here's one that people will think took hours and hours - I've taken it to potlucks and people are always asking me for the recipe - it's almost embarrassing to give.

I call it my instant Chili Verde

porkloin meat
1 can green enchilada sauce
1 can ortega or other brand green chili (whole - not diced!)
1 onion
salt

Cook pork loin in water (does not work well in slow cooker - smells awful) salt to taste. Add a cut up onion in the water (important to prevent that cooking pork smell)

Once it's cooked and very soft but before it falls apart (usually about 2 hours, depending on size) - take it out and cut into chunks.

add the pork to enchilada sauce

slice chilis lengthwise and add long slices (remove veins and seeds from chilis and run under cold water to make it mild - otherwise, can be pretty spicy)

serve with Mexican rice and frijoles
warm up tortillas to finish the meal

Not the most healthy meal - but very good and people think you slaved for hours, when in reality, it's practically instant.

Carole
03-09-2006, 05:47 AM
Oh, chickadee! That sounds yummy! I think I might make that this weekend!

Carole
03-09-2006, 05:51 AM
I have had one and only one experience with a soft shell crab sandwich. I had NO idea what I was in for. When the lady brought out the plate and on it was a bun with little crab legs curled over the edges...well, let's just say that I didn't have lunch that day.

Disgruntled Weren
I tried making a tuna casserole once. We didn't like it at all. Something about warm tuna turned both hubby and me off completely. Maybe I just had a yucky recipe.

Haggis
03-09-2006, 05:54 AM
Señor Haggis's Venison Chili—Highlands Version

I originally posted this recipe here (http://www.epinions.com/content_4637958276), on another site. If you're morally opposed to eating cute, furry forest animals, avoid the link. If you enjoy eating Bambi, have at it.

Stew21
03-09-2006, 06:16 AM
Señor Haggis's Venison Chili—Highlands Version

I originally posted this recipe here (http://www.epinions.com/content_4637958276), on another site. If you're morally opposed to eating cute, furry forest animals, avoid the link. If you enjoy eating Bambi, have at it.

With a bow-hunter husband, I happen to have enough venison in the deep freeze to make enough of your chili to feed the entire office party!
:)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-09-2006, 06:36 AM
Does anyone have a tasty tuna casserole recipe; one dish, easy (no mushrooms please - we're not fond of fungi)?

Several years ago, during my impassioned genealogical obsession, the ladies (and some of the laddies) in my extended family put together this family cookbook. There was no Lulu.com then, and it was too expensive to print for just us, so I put it all online.

http://members.cox.net/jdahl2/cindex.htm

Scroll down to 'Tuna Hotdish', click, scroll to the last recipe on that page and there you have it. Leave out the can of mushies, trade Cream of Chicken soup for Cream of Mushroom and it's heaven.

The rest of those recipes are pretty darn good, too - even if I DO say so myself. Some of them will put weight on your rump for just reading them!

Carole
03-09-2006, 06:45 AM
If you enjoy eating Bambi, have at it.
The first time I had venison I just knew I wasn't going to like it. I was SO wrong! I was at this huge gathering and the men had marinated the meat in lime juice and then tossed it on the grill. We women-folk made homemade tortillas. Those were the most incredible fajitas I have ever had.

Jo
03-09-2006, 11:21 AM

Here's one I've taught my kids to make. Hope it's easy enough. ;) (It does use a saucepan and casserole dish, though... and the pasta/rice, peas and corn are optional/changeable.) Serves 4 - 6.

TUNA AU GRATIN

CHEESE SAUCE BASE:
2 wooden spoonfuls (ws) butter or margarine
2 ws plain flour
600ml milk (just over 2 cups)
Shake of salt and coarse milled black pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
1 cup grated cheese
1 teaspoon (tsp) mustard paste/powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper

TUNA CASSEROLE:
1 tin Tuna in spring water or brine
Half cup frozen corn
Half cup frozen peas
2 cups cooked rice, macaroni or other pasta
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup breadcrumbs

CHEESE SAUCE:
Using a medium to large saucepan, on high heat melt the butter. Lower the heat to medium-high and add the flour, stirring for about one minute.

Gradually add the milk as you stir, making sure that the milk is totally mixed with the flour and the sauce is thickening as you go. Beware of lumps! You can add more milk if you want a thinner sauce, or less if you want a thicker sauce.

Turn the heat down to low—do not boil. The sauce should be the consistency of thickened cream. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Turn off heat, then add at least a cupful of grated cheese, (tasty, matured, cheddar, etc.) mustard (American, Hot English) and cayenne pepper. Stir well.

TUNA CASSEROLE:
Preheat the oven to 180 deg. Celsius. (350 F)

Add the peas and corn to the cheese sauce. Drain the tuna and flake (pull apart with fork) then add to the mixture. Stir well.

In a large ovenproof casserole dish, lay the cooked rice (or other pasta) on the bottom then add the tuna mixture. Do not overfill. Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs and bake in the oven until the topping is toasty brown.

To serve without baking—do not preheat oven or use casserole dish, just mix tuna, etc. with cheese sauce, heat on medium for about 10-15 minutes (usually while pasta/rice is cooking), then dollop the tuna mixture on top of the cooked pasta and garnish with grated cheese.

Mixture also good for stuffing baked potatoes and vol-au-vent cases.

JoeEkaitis
03-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Deconstructed Chili con Carne

2 pounds ground turkey or lean ground beef
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 envelope chili seasoning (salt-free)
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1 egg

Ranch Style Beans

Knead together ground meat, onion soup mix, chili seasoning, bread crumbs and egg. Form into a loaf and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. Allow to cool 15 minutes.

Heat Ranch Style Beans to serving temperature. Slice meat loaf and top each serving with a couple spoonfuls of Ranch Style Beans.

Goes great with garlic mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.

NeuroFizz
03-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Enchilada Casserole a la NF

Set-up:

1) Boil chicken breasts until fully cooked (I use two breasts for a regular-sized casserole, three for a potluck-sized one). Refrigerate until cold (cuts easier – so do this early).
2) Cube chicken to ~1/2 inch cubes – set aside
3) Chop onions (to taste). If onions are strong, back off a little—don’t want them to dominate taste.
4) Cut a dozen corn tortillas (small sized) into ¼” x ½” strips – set aside
5) Grate cheese (I use medium cheddar and Jack, but other kinds could be used). I use a small brick for an average casserole.
6) Open large can (or bottle) of enchilada sauce (I use medium hot). The brand may make a difference, so don’t get the cheap ones.
7) Open two small cans, or one large can of refried beans (standard refries—don’t use whole beans or black beans unless you have a special taste for them)

Preparation:

The ingredients will be placed in the dish in layers. Start with a thin layer of enchilada sauce, then layer in the following (complete layer, or nearly so):
1) Tortilla strips
2) Onion
3) Chicken cubes
4) Cheese
5) Enchilada sauce (liberal amount)
6) Refried beans (heat them in microwave or they will be impossible to spread)
7) Tortilla strips
8) Onion
9) Chicken cubes
10) Cheese
11) Enchilada sauce (liberal amount)
12) Refried beans
13) Remainder of enchilada sauce
14) Remainder of cheese

Bake:

Oven at 350o - Heat until cheese is bubbling. Then, force a deep separation with a knife or spatula to see if the deep layers are melting/mixing/hot. It will mash back. For the crock pot I used for the party, it took a little over an hour. For a standard casserole dish (wide but not very deep), it could take less than 30 minutes.

threedogpeople
08-05-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm making the cabbage rolls again for tonight.

I saw a "helpful hint" and it said to put the cabbage leafs in the freezer overnight (or longer). When they defrost they'll be tender enough to stuff and you get to skip the blanch part of the recipe. I'll let everyone know how that works out.

Jaycinth
11-22-2006, 12:38 AM
I'm yoinking this thread back because the recipies are good and Weren never posted the crab cake recipie. He claimed that the campus computer 'ate it'.
I bet it 'eats' his homework, too. (Probably with some over sweet red table wine.....)

Haggis
11-22-2006, 01:00 AM
I want the crab cake recipe too, but as long as you've gone and opened the thread...

Panko Sea Scallops with Minty Couscous

¼ cup Pine nuts
1 red bell pepper, roasted, seeded, skinned and cut into strips
½ cup Sun-dried tomatoes
3 or 4 Green onions, chopped
1 cup Spearmint leaves, roughly chopped (save 2 leaves per serving as garnish)
1 cup Couscous
1 cup Chicken stock or chicken broth
Zest of one lemon; lemon wedges
12 sea scallops
panko breading
1 egg
Two tablespoons of water
salt
pepper
butter
olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a bowl, whisk together two tablespoons of water with one egg white. Dip scallops into egg wash, then into panko crumbs. Shake off excess, and place on a wire rack.

Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a small sauté pan, on medium heat. Lightly toast pine nuts, stirring and shaking pan constantly, being careful not to overcook--about two minutes. Set aside.

In another sauté pan, heat one tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon of butter in medium heat. Add chopped green onion, roasted bell pepper and sundried tomato. Cook and stir until onions begin to soften--about three minutes. Add lemon zest and mint leaves, and cook for one minute. Cover and remove from heat.

Bring one cup of chicken stock to a boil.

While stock is heating, sauté scallops in one tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon butter, until golden brown, about three minutes. When done, transfer pan to oven, and reset temperature to 300 degrees.

Add heated stock to couscous, cover, and let stand five minutes. When liquid is absorbed, fluff lightly with a fork, and blend in onion, pepper, mint and tomato mixture. Add toasted pine nuts, salt and pepper.

Mound couscous on plate, and surround with scallops. Garnish with additional leaves of mint and lemon wedges.

Serves four as an appetizer, or two as an entrée.

TsukiRyoko
11-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Me, too. I'm working on Samhain stuff tonight, but tomorrow I'll be her with recipes! I have a wonderful pumpkin altar bread recipe, if you'd care for it.

JoeEkaitis
11-22-2006, 01:29 AM
Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Special Thanksgiving Edition

Scrub 5 pounds of potatoes. Red potatoes give an interesting color to the finished product and Yukon Golds have a nice buttery glow but plain ol' Russets will do fine as well. Leave the smaller potatoes whole. Cut the larger ones in half. Pile them into your 8-quart stainless steel or cast iron Dutch oven with the peeled and separated cloves of 2 bulbs of garlic. Add just enough cold water to cover, put on the lid and heat to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Check for doneness with a fork after 30 minutes (the fork should pierce a big piece easily and the potato should slide right off). Drain thoroughly in a colander.

Return potatoes to pot and mash or whip with an electric mixer while adding 1 pound of butter and 1 pint of sour cream (both at room temperature). If you like a little more color, throw in a tablespoon of dried parsley.

Note how many dinner guests eat these WITHOUT gravy. :)

Healthier off-season version:

Omit butter. Mash potatoes with 2 pints of fat-free sour cream. It tastes a little less creamy but the tang brings out even more garlic flavor.

Jaycinth
11-22-2006, 01:40 AM
[quote=Haggis]I want the crab cake recipe too, but as long as you've gone and opened the thread...

I love you Haggis. (shhhh...it's the scallops)

Tsuki...please, please post it!

Joe. Bless you. My daughter just asked.."You aren't making those old dill potatoes that you serve every year?"

threedogpeople
11-22-2006, 06:33 AM
1 bag of fresh cranberries, washed
Finely minced zest of 2 thin skinned oranges (I use my carrot peeler to remove only the orange part). The easiest way to tell thin skinned vs. thick skinned oranges is to look at the dimples on the orange. On a thin skin orange, they will be hard to see.
2 cups of white sugar
1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)In a blender or food processor, place half of the cranberries and 1/2 of the sugar, process until finely chopped. Set aside. Repeat with rest of berries and sugar.

To the berry and sugar mix, add orange zest and chopped pecans.

NOTE: The berry/sugar mix will be dry until the berries start to "give up their juice". BUT, if the mixture is so dry that you can't get the berries chopped then add the juice from one of the oranges.

NOTE 2: This should be made several hours before you want to serve it and it will be best after the 2nd day. It will keep in your fridge for a week.

Carole
11-22-2006, 06:51 AM
I have a wonderful pumpkin altar bread recipe, if you'd care for it.

I'd love it! Thanks! :)

Carole
11-22-2006, 06:54 AM
I'm yoinking this thread back because the recipies are good and Weren never posted the crab cake recipie. He claimed that the campus computer 'ate it'.
I bet it 'eats' his homework, too. (Probably with some over sweet red table wine.....)

Jay, you rawk. I love this thread and I am happy to see it resurrected! There's another here as well.

Autumn is knocking, what do you cook? (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17884&page=1)

This thread branched off from that thread way back in the day.

Joe, I am going to use your mashed potato recipe Thursday. I've always wanted a good garlic mashed potato recipe. Thanks!

I'm also going to make my aunts spoon corn bread, the first recipe on the "Autumn is knocking" thread. It's awesome.

Carole
11-22-2006, 06:57 AM
How do you guys cook a turkey? I'm trying to find a good herbed recipe. I normally just roast the bird, sans any seasonings. It's always good, but nothing out of the ordinary. Just a bird.

I went to Food Network and found some, but the reviews were mixed.

Carole
11-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Joe. Bless you. My daughter just asked.."You aren't making those old dill potatoes that you serve every year?"

Gotta love kids, right? I'd LOVE to have your old dill potatoes.

TsukiRyoko
11-22-2006, 08:15 AM
I'd love it! Thanks! :) Here's a fancier one:
INGREDIENTS

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped pecans
DIRECTIONS

In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add sugar, oil, eggs, and buttermilk. Mix well. Stir in flavorings, pumpkin, raisins and pecans. Pour into two greased 9-in x 5-in x-3in loaf pan (or whatever bread pan you have at hand). Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-65 minutes, give or take depending on your own judgment. Let it stand for at LEAST 10 minutes before removing from the pan and let it cool on a wire rack or something like it. (You can also do these in muffins for easier serving. :D)

And a simpler one:

INGREDIENTS

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 (16 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
DIRECTIONS

In a mixing bowl, dream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Stir in pumpkin. Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until bread seems to be done.

I like to serve this with a cranberry or pumpkin drink, and homemade apple juice tastes pretty good with it as well. I WOULD go with an ale, but I'm not quite legal yet. ;)

JoeEkaitis
11-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Cathy says I earned the right to name this recipe after myself. :)

Fettuccine al Giuseppe

1 lb. fettuccine
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (no, I didn't steal the recipe from Rachael Ray)
1 bulb of garlic, peeled, crushed and finely minced
2 cans cream of chicken soup (fat-free tastes just as creamy)
1 8-oz. bag of shredded fat-free mozzarella or mozzarella/cheddar blend
1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1 lb. of Italian sausage, cooked and cut as desired (slices, quarter-circles, crumbled, etc.)

Grated Parmesan cheese

Grease a covered glass or Corning Ware baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Cook fettuccine al dente and reserve 1 cup of the cooking water before draining. Drain thoroughly while preparing the sauce.

In the same pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat until it ripples. Add the garlic and cook only until transparent, stirring often. Add the cream of chicken soup and the pasta water, and stir until smooth. Raise heat to medium-high and cook until bubbling, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for one minute. Turn heat to low and stir in shredded cheese until melted. Turn off the heat. Fold in the sausage followed by the fettuccine. Fold together until evenly coated.

Dump mixture into the greased casserole. Cover and place in a cold oven. Set the oven to 325º F and bake 45 minutes. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan if desired.

Mangia! Mangia!

Jaycinth
11-22-2006, 09:56 PM
How do you guys cook a turkey? I'm trying to find a good herbed recipe. I normally just roast the bird, sans any seasonings. It's always good, but nothing out of the ordinary. Just a bird.

I went to Food Network and found some, but the reviews were mixed.

I've done just about everything possible with a turkey. I was going to get a small one..or just a big breast... and split it down the middle and grill it over an oak and hickory wood fire. I did that 4 yrs ago and my kids have been begging for it ever since. (I marinate it an a white wine based marinade for 12 hrs, first)
BUT, my friend called and she's ordered one of those big deepfried cajun turkeys and wants to bring it as her contribution. Just as well, it is raining.

Didn't I post the dill potatoes recipie around here or is the brandy getting to me?

Haggis
11-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Didn't I post the dill potatoes recipie around here or is the brandy getting to me?

Dill potatoes? *drool*

WerenCole
11-22-2006, 10:03 PM
I must have been drunk. . . well. . . somethings never change.

I am pretty sure that was a soft shell recipe. . . . crab cakes are something else entirely. I will post it later. . . after the mimosas wear off.

Jaycinth
11-22-2006, 10:22 PM
I must have been drunk. . . well. . . somethings never change.

I am pretty sure that was a soft shell recipe. . . . crab cakes are something else entirely. I will post it later. . . after the mimosas wear off.

Didn't you think about, maybe, like, sharing the mimosas?
***Crosses kitchen in huff and begins shelling pecans.***

wyntermoon
11-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Pumpkin Martinis

Skyy Pumpkin Infused Vodka
Cointreau
Ice

Swirl Cointreau in a martini glass, then dump out. Shake Pumpkin Vodka and Ice Strain into martini glass rimmed with pumpkin pie spice. Garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon stick.

from cocktail.com

PS - who the ??? would dump out Cointreau?

MidnightMuse
11-23-2006, 02:55 AM
Oh My Gawd - that sounds yummy :D

Soccer Mom
11-23-2006, 04:58 AM
mmmmmmmmmm

threedogpeople
11-26-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

I managed to make the cranberry relish this year without crying (missing my great-grandmother). Can't remember the number of times my husband has walked in and found me in tears, while I made this, but this year was different....she's been gone 15 years now.

threedogpeople
11-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Pumpkin Martinis

Skyy Pumpkin Infused Vodka
Cointreau
Ice

Swirl Cointreau in a martini glass, then dump out. Shake Pumpkin Vodka and Ice Strain into martini glass rimmed with pumpkin pie spice. Garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon stick.

from cocktail.com

PS - who the ??? would dump out Cointreau?

If you put the Cointreau in a spray bottle and gave the glass a spritz then you wouldn't need to dump the Cointreau and could save yourself the trauma. Hey, hey, better idea, just pour the extra in a little glass and drink it by itself. If you made enough of these then.....

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-26-2006, 11:54 PM
JC... did you ever post the white-wine based turkey marinade? ((Hint, hint))

Jaycinth
11-27-2006, 08:35 PM
No. (hic) But its got wine in it.

TeddyG
11-27-2006, 09:45 PM
I want your recipesssssssssssssssssss

I really do...
take a look at Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen (http://fireinmykitchen.blogspot.com/) and if you are brave enough just send in a recipe to the address there.

I really want recipes...submitted by you guys...and funny stories about cooking too!

Unique
12-04-2006, 12:23 AM
1 stick butter 1C. milk (scalded) Vanilla wafers
1 C. sugar 1 1/2 C. carnation milk ~5 bananas
3Tbs. flour 1/2 C. water 1 1/2 t. vanilla
3 egg yolks 1Tbs. lemon juice

Cream butter, sugar, salt, and flour. Add egg yolks. Pour scalded milk over
the mixture, stirring constantly. Combine the Carnation milk and the water
and add to the mixture. Add vanilla. Place mixture over low to medium heat, stirring til thickened.
Remove from heat, cool and add lemon juice. Arrange
sliced bananas and wagers in a casserole dish alternately with thickened
custard. Top with beaten egg whites (3 egg whites with 6 Tbs. sugar & 1 tsp. of vanilla) Make sure the edges are sealed to the sides of the dish. Bake in
400 degree oven until browned.

Guess what we're having today. :D

Haggis
12-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Mmmmmm. 'Naners.

Susie
12-04-2006, 05:26 AM
Hope you guys like this recipe.

Chocolate Souffle

2 tablepsoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup milk
3 eggs
l/8 teaspoon salt
l l/2 squares bitter chocolate
l/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoon hot water
l teaspoon vanilla

Melt butter in double boiler. Add flour and salt and stir until
blended, then gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Cook until
thick. Add sugar, hot water and melted chocolate. Cool. Add
vanilla and beaten egg yolks. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Bake 35
minutes in a 325 degree oven. Dust with confectioners' sugar before
serving.

Jaycinth
05-03-2007, 11:08 PM
My friend just e-mailed me this recipie...

which is for the dogs.

(Now that tax season is over, I'll be hauling out human recipies...but this one is special for all of the special 4 footer's y'all know and love)
May 3, 2007
Why not bake your dog a birthday cake? To make it safe as well as nutritious, skip the chocolate and sugar and make a mix of ground or finely chopped turkey, beef, lamb, or chicken (not pork) and broccoli, carrots, peas. Recipes on the Internet are plentiful (search "cake for dogs"). Or try this vegetarian delight from Real Food for Dogs. In a large bowl, blend 3 cups of water, two shredded carrots, one egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of honey. Mix in two mashed bananas. In a separate bowl, combine 4 cups of whole-wheat flour, 1 teaspoon each of baking powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Combine the flour and carrot mixtures and blend well. Spray a cupcake pan with nonstick spray. Fill each cup three-quarters full and bake at 350 F for about an hour. Cool before serving. Makes 24 cupcakes, so your pet can invite his friends.
http://messaging.realage.com/dogage/tow/images/tow_clear.gifhttp://messaging.realage.com/dogage/tow/images/tow_bone_icon.gif (http://mailer.realage.com/cts/click?q=1;50390;iiWEg%2BrBYuqrMCQiv6CMHYWkRd8KYfVZ )Send this tip to a friend (http://mailer.realage.com/cts/click?q=1;50390;iiWEg%2BrBYuqp98Nypl1Xx4WkRd8KYfVZ ).

MidnightMuse
05-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Sounds yummy - but I need a potluck-worthy dessert for a Quatro De Mayo work party.

Suggestions?

Jaycinth
05-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Sounds yummy - but I need a potluck-worthy dessert for a Quatro De Mayo work party.

Suggestions?

Yeah...try this. You can make three pies and mix three different colors of fillings, and then combine the three in each pie so it looks like 'CAR-NI-VAL'!!

Jello Pie.

This is a dumb easy desert. But my family thinks I work hard on it. “Mom…if I fold the laundry…wash the cat…dig the garden…change your oil…will you make a jello pie tonight? I guess I’m outing myself.

1 box of jello. ( regular or sugar free, who cares)

1 tub of Cool Whip- thawed (Or the generic..regular or fat free…who cares)

1 pre-made Oreo pie crust ( Or graham cracker or vanilla wafer…ditto)
Water. (Duuuuhhhhhhh)

Make the jello according to directions but add only 7/8 cup of cold water. Mix well and chill until loosely set. ( It will be close to holding shape, like a hair gel)

Add most of the container of whipped topping. ( Put the rest in your coffee, or throw it at the kids for squeals of......delight.)

Mix well….your jello will turn a nice pastel shade…(like Easter…AWWWWWWW)

Pour it into the pie crust, it should be thick enough to mound up and form a little peak in the center. If not, don’t sweat it. Refrigerate for 2 or 3 hours or more.)

Act like it is a big deal when you serve it, or take it to your office and hog it to yourself.

For Halloween, I put chocolate sprinkles on an orange pie and made a ‘pie-o-lantern’.

MidnightMuse
05-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Yeah...try this. Buy several tubs of cool whip or any other non-dairy whipped topping. Five six-packs of Corona or Corona Lite. 3 bottles of mid-grade Tequila. Start with the Corona, then advance to Tequila shots. Then, after the meal, scoop whipped topping out in handfulls and start a non-diary food-fight. You'll get the rest of the afternoon off after the laughter dies down

GREAT idea! Thanks so much :)

Redd Ryden
05-04-2007, 12:04 AM
:DTim Dorsey's "Serge A. Storm's" Chicken Salad Cheat:D

1) A large bucket of KFC's (newly NO-TRANS-FAT!!) "Extra Crispy". Pick off the bone and shred.

2) 2 tablespoons REAL mayonnaise. (Gotta keep it real!)

3) Nuts (After all, it *is* Serge's recipe!) of your choice-- Cashews are good! Chop & add.

4) White grapes, if you like. (Whatever floats yer boat...) Chop & add.

5) Serve on good bread. (Hey! If you feel froggy-- Bake it yerself!)

6) Enjoy with a good, salt-rimmed, frozen margarita. (Raise a toast to Serge!)

Submitted by Redd-- who doesn't know her way around her own kitchen.
(At least, that's what she tells Sweet Thing...)

Parkinsonsd
05-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Canned Pear/Dried Cherry pie

On the fly one night, I took a can of pears (I think it was 16 oz half sliced) and a handful of dried cherries. Arrange the pears in the pie crust and sprinkle the dried cherries around to fill up the space.

Mix a teaspoon of cornstarch in with the pear juice and pour it in, until it looks right.

Chop some walnuts and brown sugar in the food processor, and that is your topping. Bake it at 350 until it is done.

I don't know how much you put in, because whenever I cook the amount is always "until it looks right" and you cook it until "it looks done."

It turns out good though.

Uncarved
05-04-2007, 01:33 AM
Canned Pear/Dried Cherry pie

On the fly one night, I took a can of pears (I think it was 16 oz half sliced) and a handful of dried cherries. Arrange the pears in the pie crust and sprinkle the dried cherries around to fill up the space.

Mix a teaspoon of cornstarch in with the pear juice and pour it in, until it looks right.

Chop some walnuts and brown sugar in the food processor, and that is your topping. Bake it at 350 until it is done.

I don't know how much you put in, because whenever I cook the amount is always "until it looks right" and you cook it until "it looks done."

It turns out good though.
You're so domesticated.

Namatu
05-04-2007, 01:48 AM
*** Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies ***

1 box Duncan Hines devil's food cake mix
1 stick butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips (or peanut butter chips)

Set the oven at 350F.
Mix all the ingredients together.
Place dollops on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 or 12 minutes. Cookies will look a little wrinkly.
Set out to cool or immediately eat.

Half the batch is usually in my stomach before the last cookie sheet's out of the oven.

You can also add tiny marshmallows, but you have to remove them from the cookie sheet before it cools or it's going to stick like krazy glue.

Jaycinth
05-04-2007, 07:38 PM
2 (15 ounce) can black beans, well rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
¼ cup dried onion flakes
½ cup diced sweet red bell pepper
2 diced jalapeno peppers
2 large tomatoes -chopped
2 tomatillos, chopped
½ teaspoon diced garlic
½ tsp sea salt
1 pinch black pepper
3 tsps chopped cilantro
1 pinch cumin powder
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp lime juice
In a bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon. Then, take half of the mix and put in your blender. Set it at chop or grate and run for 30 seconds. Pour back into the bowl and mix well with wooden spoon. Cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.
If you are crazy you should substitute one of the Jalapenos with a habanero.

Serve with white and blue corn chips and San Miguel Dark...if you can find it.

threedogpeople
05-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Pineapple Orange Salsa

Drain 1 can of sliced pineapple (set aside juice)
Roughly dice the pineapple
Zest one thin skinned orange, dice the zest & add
Finish peeling the orange, section & roughly dice orange
Add 1/2 white onion finely diced
Add 1 (or more) finely diced jalapeno pepper (remove seeds)
Add about 1/2 cup chopped celantro
Dash of salt
Dash of Tobasco

Measure out 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice, add 1/4 cup Grand Marnier (or your favorite orange liquor), add to the Salsa. If you want to eliminate the liquor use 1/2 cup pineapple juice, if you don't have quite enough add a little water or orange juice to make enough.

Let sit for at least an hour. Serve with grilled fish, shrimp or grilled pork chops.

I have also used diced mango instead of the orange and left out the orange zest.

Jaycinth
05-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Sounds fattening doesn't it? Just the opposite. This delicious recipie relies on fruit and nuts for wholesome goodness and is packed with enough fiber and essentials oils to keep you full for hours...thus keeping you away from bad treats.

2 to 3 of these thigs makes a nice breakfast and had roughly half the calories and 70% less sugar than the monsters you buy at Starbucks.

Enjoy!!!!

1/2 cup oat bran
1/4 cup smashed walnut pieces
1/4 cup ground walnuts..(Pecans or hazelnuts are ok)
1/4 cup dried cranberries..optional
2 tbsp Evening Primrose seeds, ground, OR empty the contents of 6 Evening Primrose Oil
capsules into the mix
1-1/2 cup oat flour. plus 2 tbsp (put whole oats (oatmeal) into blender and turn it
into flour)
2/3 cup oats ( lightly hand crushed)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup low fat or non fat buttermilk
1 large egg
3 tablespoons of cold pressed unrefined sesame oil
3 overripe bananas (or 1 cup sugared frozen strawberries or
blueberries...thawed)
4 tbsp applesauce

Preheat oven to 475
Line two muffin pans with paper muffin liners. You must use muffin
liners for good results

Blend all dry ingredients in a large bowl
Place all of the rest of the ingredients into your food processor or
blender. Combine until the fruit is pureed

Fold the fruit mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine. If
mixture is too stiff..add a few tbsp of buttermilk until it is the
right consistency.

Pour into muffin pans.
Place into center of oven, turn heat down to 375. Bake 20 -25 min until
browned and a bit firm.

Let cool, remove from pan, and continue to cool.

Store in airtight container in fridge. They can be frozen and nuked later!

CatSlave
05-07-2007, 08:03 PM
African Peanut-Pineapple Stew from the Moosewood cookbooks.
1 cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 bunch kale or Swiss chard (4 cups sliced)
2 cups undrained canned crushed pineapple (20-ounce can)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
salt to taste
crushed skinless peanuts
chopped scallions

In a covered saucepan, saute' the onions and garlic in the oil for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are lightly browned. While the onions saute, wash the kale or Swiss chard. Remove and discard the large stems and any blemished leaves. Stack the leaves on a cutting surface and slice crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices.

Add the pineapple and its juice to the onions and bring to a simmer. Stir in the kale or chard, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times, until just tender. Mix in the peanut butter, Tabasco, and cilantro and simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste, and serve.

I have about a zillion fantastic recipes and love to share!
Keep up this thread, please.

Jaycinth
05-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Maryn-Ate It- Chicken
¾ cup lemon juice
½ cup brandy
¾ cup Apricot Preserves
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup sweet red pepper – diced fine
1 tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried dill
1 tsp garlic flakes
1 tsp onion flakes
½ tsp tarragon
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts sliced into 2 ½ inch wide strips

Mix all ingredients except chicken. Set ½ cup aside.

Pour the rest of the marinade into a flat container (those plastic Ziploc brands work great although ceramic is better)
Place the chicken in the marinade.
Turn over a few times to make sure it is coated.
Cover and let sit (in the fridge!) for no less than 1 ½ and no more than 3 ½ hours.
Remove chicken and place in baking dish
(You may want to line it with foil)
Cover chicken with the ½ cup of marinade you set aside.
Bake covered at 350f for 30 min, then bake uncovered under broiler for 5-6 min.
Serve with Basmati Rice and a dark green salad.

CatSlave
05-16-2007, 11:02 PM
MMMMMmmmmm, that sounds yummy!

Here's a goody: very simple, but the slow roasting totally enhances the essence of the veggies.
It was a big hit at our Easter brunch.

Rozanne Gold's Tian of Eggplant, Onions and Tomatoes
Serves as many as 10 to 12

1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 medium-large onions (about 2 pounds)
6 large, ripe tomatoes (about 3 pounds) USE THE BEST YOU CAN FIND
1 1/2 tablespoons mixed dried herbs, such as thyme, crushed rosemary, winter savory; or pre-mixed herbes de Provence, or about 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs such as above
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Slice the eggplant (no need to peel), onions and tomatoes as thinly as possible.
In a 12 by 8-inch rectangular or oval baking dish, make a layer of onions, then eggplant, then tomatoes.
Sprinkle with about 3/4 teaspoon of the dried herbs and the same amount of fresh basil. Sprinkle with some of the salt and pepper
Repeat the layers, sprinkling each with herbs, salt and pepper. End with a layer of onions.
Pour the olive oil over the vegetables.
Place in a preheated 300-degree oven for about 3 hours. While the vegetables bake, press them down with a wide spatula/hamburger turner about every 30 minutes and remove accumulating liquid with a bulb baster or large kitchen spoon. At first the liquid will be just from the vegetables. Eventually, you will be drawing off oil as well. (Save the juices for another use: for a soup or stew base, cooked down slightly as a sauce for pasta, or simply for dunking bread.)
When done, the vegetables will have reduced in volume by at least a third and they should be soft and compact. The top layer of onions should be well caramelized. Timing is approximate: it make take as much as an hour longer.
Let cool at least slightly before cutting into squares and serving. Or serve at room temperature.

Elincoln
05-17-2007, 12:38 AM
We had a recipe thread and no one told me?

Here's something to wow the people at your next party.

Cape May Crab Spread

You will need:

16oz of crab meat (fin, claw or lump meat; NO Imitation junk)
1 8oz pkg of cream cheese, soften
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 bunch of green onions, minced
1 tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning (or any crab boil seasoning)
1 bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups of cocktail sauce (homemade or jarred)
Box of crackers
1 Lemon, cut in half and slicedHere's how it goes:

Remove excess shells from crab meat. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, green onions and Old Bay Seasoning. Gradually add crab meat till amalgamated nicely.
Line mold (I usually just use a glass pie plate) with plastic wrap. Pour spread into mold. Cover, weigh with can and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
When spread is firm, invert onto a plate, take off plastic and cover with cocktail sauce (pretend it's a cake).
Sprinkle with parsley and decorate with lemon slices.
Serve with crackers.Enjoy!

CatSlave
05-17-2007, 01:05 AM
Oh my, crab heaven!
That sounds great! Thanks.

TsukiRyoko
05-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Tsuki's Easy Stoner recipes

Take one piece of cake, put it in a bowl, pour milk over it, eat while watching cartoons.

Take one bag of your favorite chips, dip in ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar sauce (take ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, dump into a bowl and stir until it's all one color. You're supposed to heat it up and add vinegar and all that stuff, but it's good anyway), eat until it starts to taste bad. (For the record, it's actually really good).

Take all the old food in the back of the fridge, cook with Hamburger Helper, serve still in skillet.

Go buy some Star Crunches. That's all.

Throw one can of any soda into a blender, toss in a banana (or anything that looks like a banana), take pitcher off blender and drink (don't use a cup, and blending it isn't really necessary).

Take out all candy pieces out from between the cushions of your couch. Then, take a bagel, smother it in cream cheese (not sour cream, you stoners), mash candy pieces onto bagel, eat until you fall asleep.

If you have old brownies lying somewhere around the house, pour chocolate milk over them and drizzle whatever jelly you have in the fridge over them. Mmmm.

Make a big pot of Ramen. Dump in all the canned veggies you can into the pot. Throw in some toast, let it get soggy and fall apart until you can't tell it's in there anymore. Throw that old take-out chicken into the pot. Serve to whoever's sitting on the couch.

Take one bag of croutons, pour in a fourth a bottle of salad dressing, shake, eat with a spoon.

Have extra cake from recipe number one? Throw it in the coffee pot for a while and enjoy a cup.

Still have extra coffee? Throw some ice cream in it. It's really pretty tasty.

Throw bologna, mustard, and whatever else you feel like eating onto some bread. Top with corn flakes and onions. Good, until it starts to digest.

Also, all of the above recipes can be blended and used as dip for nacho chips or pretzels. Or cereal pieces. You know, whatever's handy.

DeborahM
05-17-2007, 02:18 AM
I was wanting some Shrimp Alfredo and ended up with this:

Deborah's Shrimp Alfredo

Serves 4

1 small pkg. spaghetti
Shrimp - size: 21/25 6 per person
2 pkgs. McCormkic Alfredo Sauce
2 Tablespoons butter
2 cups milk
2 Yellow Squash - small
2 Zucchini - small
6 slices Baby Swiss cheese
Fresh sliced mushrooms - as many as you want
Salt and pepper to taste.

Start cooking the spaghetti, wash squash and zucchini and cut into 1 1/2 inch slices (so won't get mushy) and throw in with spaghetti after water boiling.

Wash mushrooms and set aside. Prep shrimp (no tails) and set aside.

When spaghetti done, drain and a rest of ingredients. Stir and serve with salad and garlic bread.

CatSlave
05-17-2007, 02:35 AM

Take one piece of cake, put it in a bowl, pour milk over it, eat while watching cartoons.

Take one bag of your favorite chips, dip in ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar sauce (take ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, dump into a bowl and stir until it's all one color. You're supposed to heat it up and add vinegar and all that stuff, but it's good anyway), eat until it starts to taste bad. (For the record, it's actually really good).

Take all the old food in the back of the fridge, cook with Hamburger Helper, serve still in skillet.

Throw one can of any soda into a blender, toss in a banana (or anything that looks like a banana), take pitcher off blender and drink (don't use a cup, and blending it isn't really necessary).

Take out all candy pieces out from between the cushions of your couch. Then, take a bagel, smother it in cream cheese (not sour cream, you stoners), mash candy pieces onto bagel, eat until you fall asleep.

If you have old brownies lying somewhere around the house, pour chocolate milk over them and drizzle whatever jelly you have in the fridge over them. Mmmm.

Make a big pot of Ramen. Dump in all the canned veggies you can into the pot. Throw in some toast, let it get soggy and fall apart until you can't tell it's in there anymore. Throw that old take-out chicken into the pot. Serve to whoever's sitting on the couch.

Take one bag of croutons, pour in a fourth a bottle of salad dressing, shake, eat with a spoon.

Have extra cake from recipe number one? Throw it in the coffee pot for a while and enjoy a cup.

Throw bologna, mustard, and whatever else you feel like eating onto some bread. Top with corn flakes and onions. Good, until it starts to digest.

Also, all of the above recipes can be blended and used as dip for nacho chips or pretzels. Or cereal pieces. You know, whatever's handy.
I wanna smoke what she's smoking.

DeborahM
05-17-2007, 02:42 AM
One of my favorite summer meals is a salad!

1 Pkg of chicken breasts- cut into strips
Sprinkle McCormick's Mesquite grill
1 Bag of several different types of lettace
1 Bag baby spinach
1/2 bag chilled corn - thawed
1/2 bag green beans - thawed OR
1/2 bag frozen peas - thawed
1 can beets - drained and washed
Boiled eggs - quarted
Green pepper
Sliced mushrooms
Radishes
Tomatoes
Anything else you want to add...

Cut chicken and sprinkle with Mesquite flavoring and braze in cast iron skillet. Fix salad and throw chicken on top. Add desired salad dressing and serve with crackers!

Jaycinth
05-17-2007, 02:51 AM

Dear Lord...please don't EVER let me smoke what Tsuki's smoking.

But I will do that leftover coffee and ice cream thing right NOW!

MattW
05-17-2007, 03:14 AM
I need new recipes. Because of my wife's commute, I cook dinner all week, but I hate doing 2 dishes to meet her diet (fish, occasional chicken, tofu, veggies) because I can't survive on her meals.

I started making mac and cheese for myself just for ease and variety...

Elincoln
05-17-2007, 03:33 AM
I need new recipes. Because of my wife's commute, I cook dinner all week, but I hate doing 2 dishes to meet her diet (fish, occasional chicken, tofu, veggies) because I can't survive on her meals.

Do you want recipes with or without your wife's diet items?

CatSlave
05-17-2007, 04:07 AM

I started making mac and cheese for myself just for ease and variety...
Name some ingredients you like, or dishes you want to learn.
What are the foods you aren't interested in?

TsukiRyoko
05-17-2007, 05:29 AM
Dear Lord...please don't EVER let me smoke what Tsuki's smoking. Weren gave it to me. I think you've already smoked it. Just not, you know, the whole ounce....

But I will do that leftover coffee and ice cream thing right NOW!
Oh my god, it's so good. Don't let all the ice cream melt, though! French vanilla!

MattW
05-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Do you want recipes with or without your wife's diet items?Without. I can't look a block of tofu in the eye anymore.

Name some ingredients you like, or dishes you want to learn.
What are the foods you aren't interested in?I used to eat chicken like 10 meals a week. Somehow got into a rut with one or two dishes and wore it out.

Beef and poultry I can do, no pork, love salmon and skrimps. Pasta or rice based dishes I need to lay off for a while.

dub
05-17-2007, 04:17 PM
We buy shrimp off the dock; head, shell, and vein them, then baste them with seasonings and put them on the grill...rarely do they make it back into the house.

Maryn
05-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Maryn-Ate It- Chicken
I love it! I'm putting apricot preserves on my next shopping list.

Maryn, ate it

JoeEkaitis
05-17-2007, 07:04 PM
I entered this in Food Network's Ultimate Recipe Showdown in the Burgers: Poultry category.

Burgers Calabrese

Non-stick cooking spray
1 to 1 1/4 pounds hot or sweet turkey Italian sausage, casing removed
1 egg
2 ounces (approximately 1/4 cup) plain bread crumbs
4 large hamburger buns
4 tablespoons spaghetti sauce (store-bought or leftover)
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 leaves Romaine lettuce, top half only (discard bottom half with vein)
Sliced tomatoes and onions (optional)

Lightly spray broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place sausage, egg and bread crumbs in a large stainless steel or glass mixing bowl. Spray hands with non-stick cooking spray. Knead sausage, egg and bread crumbs together until the bread crumbs are evenly distributed throughout the mixture. Divide into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball, and then gently flatten into a patty slightly larger than the diameter of a bun. Place patties on prepared broiler pan.

Broil 10 minutes, turn and broil 5 to 10 more minutes until no longer pink inside. Toast buns (top brown only) while patties broil. Remove broiler pan from oven. Top each patty with 1 tablespoon spaghetti sauce. Spread sauce just to the edge of each patty. Divide shredded mozzarella among all 4 patties, topping each with a small mound of cheese. Return to broiler until the cheese is melted, bubbling and just begins to brown. Remove broiler pan from oven. Let stand about 2 minutes.

While patties are standing, brush toasted surfaces of the buns (tops and bottoms) with extra virgin olive oil. Place bottom of bun oiled side up, top with a leaf of Romaine lettuce and a patty. If desired, top with sliced tomatoes and/or onions. Cover with bun top.

Variation: Pork sausage may be substituted for turkey sausage.

janetbellinger
05-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Does anybody have an absolutely kick ass wrap recipe? I'm thinking in terms of sauteed eggplant or artichoke hearts. I'm going to an all day writing retreat on Monday and it's pot luck. I want to take something special but easy to eat.

Maryn
05-17-2007, 09:12 PM
I was wanting some Shrimp Alfredo and ended up with this:

Deborah's Shrimp Alfredo

1 small pkg. spaghetti
2 pkgs. McCormkic Alfredo Sauce
2 Tablespoons butter
2 cups milk
2 Yellow Squash - small
2 Zucchini - small
6 slices Baby Swiss cheese
Fresh sliced mushrooms - as many as you want
Salt and pepper to taste.

Start cooking the spaghetti, wash squash and zucchini and cut into 1 1/2 inch slices (so won't get mushy) and throw in with spaghetti after water boiling.

Wash mushrooms and set aside. Prep shrimp (no tails) and set aside.

When spaghetti done, drain and a rest of ingredients. Stir and serve with salad and garlic bread.Is this like one of those mock apple pie recipes that contain no apples, just Ritz crackers and the right seasonings? Because I don't see shrimp (size? amount?) in the ingredients list.

Maryn, who needs a bit more direction before she dares make this

Siddow
05-17-2007, 09:51 PM
For the cajun lovers out there:

The shrimp part:

2lbs. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
Creole seasoning (I like Tony Chacher's, but sometimes I use Emeril's)
1 link andouille sausage, cut into chunks
Oil (I use olive oil, but any will do)
Chopped peppers (I use green and red, 1 of each)
Minced garlic (I use LOTS. MMMM)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream

Toss the shrimp with the creole seasoning, more or less depending on your fondness for hotness. In a large saute pan, sear the sausage until browned and then remove to a plate. Add shrimp to the pan, cook for three minutes or so, and remove to the plate. Saute the peppers, onions and garlic until soft. Add more creole seasoning (to taste) and the broth; simmer until reduced slightly.

Add the cream and return the sausage and shrimp to the pan. Simmer for a while longer, until nicely thickened. Try it, and if it needs salt, add it.

The grits:

3 cups of water
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of quick grits
3/4 cup cheddar cheese
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tbls. butter

Bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in grits and cheese, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in butter and cayenne, and pour mixture into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm (about 2-3 hours)

Heat a small bit of oil and butter in fry pan. Cut the grit cakes into squares (I find a 2" square to be a good size), then dredge through BEER followed by a flour/salt/pepper mixture. Fry the cakes until browned on each side, then remove to plate, top with shrimp mixture, and go to heaven.

Elincoln
05-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Here's a quick Salmon/Shrimp Dish

You will need:
1/2 cup of roasted red peppers, chopped
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 cup of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
1/2 cup of olive oil
salt & pepper
4 salmon steaks
1 lb of shrimp

Here's how:

Preheat oven to 350*F.
Mix peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, and onions in a small bowl. Add vinegar and 1/4 cup of oil. Cover and refrigerate for twenty minutes or longer.
Heat rest of oil in a large skillet. Season steaks before putting into the oil. Sear each side for 3-5 minutes.
Place steaks in small roaster. Top with half of the pepper/tomato/onion mix and put into oven for 10-20 minutes (depending on wanted doneness).
Toss shrimp in skillet with remaining oil. Cook for four minutes, tossing occasionally. Add remaining pepper/tomato/onion mixture and cook till shrimp are done.
Serve with your favorite sides.Trust me. If my dad will eat it, it's good.

CatSlave
05-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Country Fried Steak
It makes plenty of gravy and we like to serve it with mashed potatoes and corn fritters. Be sure the gravy is seasoned to your liking and add more salt or pepper if needed.

2 cups flour
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
2 cups water
16 ounces cube steaks
vegetable oil (for frying)

For Country Gravy
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups whole milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

The gravy takes the longest, so start the gravy by combining the chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. As it is heating (but before boiling) be very careful and remove about a 1/2 to 1 cup of the hot liquid.

Add flour to the liquid and whisk to combine.

Pour the hot liquid/flour mixture back into the sauce pan and whisk til smooth.

Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until thick. Stir frequently.

While the gravy is going, heat oil in a deep fryer or large frying pan to 350°F. Make sure to have enough oil to cover the steaks while frying.

Sift flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and seasoning salt together into a large shallow bowl.

Pour water into another shallow bowl.

Dredge each steak, one at a time, first in the water, then in the flour. Repeat this one more time so that each steak has been coated twice.

When all steaks have been coated and the oil is hot, drop the steaks, one at a time, into oil. If needed, work in batches.

Fry for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. Place on wire rack with paper towels underneath to drain (this keeps 'em crispy).

Serve the steaks hot with gravy poured over. With LOTS of mashed potatoes!

DeborahM
05-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Is this like one of those mock apple pie recipes that contain no apples, just Ritz crackers and the right seasonings? Because I don't see shrimp (size? amount?) in the ingredients list.

Maryn, who needs a bit more direction before she dares make this

Thanks for the catch! Fixed it. Actually the size and amount is an individual thing with this receipe.

Jaycinth
05-25-2007, 07:50 PM
For everyone at AW: A special feast!

Years ago I had the wonderful luck to work with a couple Ethiopians who were kind enough to pass these recipies along. Prepare them all just so...and it will taste better than the restaurant.

Berbere
(Hot Sauce for meats)
½ cup finely diced red (cayenne) peppers
½ cup finely minced onion
3 medium cloves chopped garlic
2 tbsp ginger powder
2 tsps cumin powder
4 tsps ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup butter
3 tsps salt

in a skillet, over low heat, melt butter with red peppers. Remove from heat. In a blender, combine minced garlic, ginger, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt and blend for 3 min at high speed. Add melted butter mixture and blend again at high speed for 3 min..until the result is a smooth paste. Store in glass jar in fridge until ready for use.

Niter Kebbeh
(Herb Butter for cooking meats)
2 lbs unsalted butter cut into small pieces
1 small yellow onion, chopped fine ( you can substitute 1/3 cup dried onion flakes)
3 Tbsps coarsely chopped garlic
1 ½ tsps turmeric
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp nutmeg
4 tsps powdered ginger

In a heavy skillet (cast iron if possible) or a heavy 5 qt sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. This must be done slowly and with caution so the butter DOES NOT BROWN.

Once butter is melted, increase the heat until the butter boils.

Boil just long enough for the butter to be covered in a whitish foam, then stir in all of the ingredients.

Return heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 15 min. The butter residue on the bottom of the pan will be golden brown and the butter on top will be transparent.

Using a cheesecloth, strain the mixture. Save. Store the butter in a glass jar in the fridge if not being used immediately. Store the solids in a separate glass jar unless using immediately.

Gomen
(East African Style Greens)

Directions for ‘fresh’, frozen works just fine.

1/2 lb each kale, mustard, collard and turnip greens. (Or you can use 2lb of one of them or 1lb each of two of them) Washed well and trimmed from fibrous stems. Cut into manageable pieces.
4 large carrots, peeled, julienned or diced.
1 whole cayenne pepper.
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp Berbere
2 tbsp Niter Kebbeh solids
1/3 cup Niter Kebbeh liquid

In a large sauce pan, heat the water, Berbere, and Niter Kebbeh.
Add the carrots and the cayenne.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat immediately.
Add greens.
Stir.
Simmer for 10 min or so until the greens are ‘greens’ (carrots should be soft-ish and not crunchy)

Lentils
(these are traditionally served with the West African meal.)

1 bag red lentils.
2 tbsp Berbere
2 tbsp Niter Kebbeh Solids

Cook according to directions for the number of servings that you need.
Add Berbere and Niter Kebbeh to the cooking water.

Bulger Wheat
(this is normally served to give you something bland because the rest of the food is ungodly spicey)

Look in the ‘International’ section of your grocery.
Cook according to directions for the number of servings you want.
Hint…most people will not eat more than 3 tbsps of this bland stuff, no matter how spicy the food is.

Zil Zil Wat
Ethiopian Beef Stew

2 lbs boneless sirloin (top round works, too. But Venison has the best taste) steak, cut into 1 inch cubes.
½ cup of water
1 cup of finely diced onion. ( you can sub 1/3 cup dried onion flakes)
1tsp salt
1 cup of Niter Kebbeh liquid Plus 4 tbsp melted butter.
4 tbsp Berbere
1 tbsp Niter Kebbeh solids
1 tsp ginger powder
½ tsp black pepper

In a large skillet (hopefully iron), heat Niter Kebbeh and butter over a moderate heat.
Saute beef in pan so it browns evenly.
Remove beef with a straining spoon and set aside, leaving any liquid in the pan
Now, add to the pan all of the remaining ingredients.
Cook over low heat for ten min or until all onion is soft.
Add meat and continue to simmer for 15 to 20 min..add an extra tbsp or three of water, if necessary
The result should be a very thick stew.

Serve with Injera

Doro Wat
Ethiopian Chicken Stew

3-4 lbs of chicken.
(I usually use nothing but white meat, but traditionally you use the entire chicken. But you don’t want to skin and cut a chicken into teenie pieces so I suggest two pounds of boneless/skinless chicken breast cut into 2 inch chunks, 4 or 5 chicken legs and 4 or 5 chicken wings)
6 hard boiled eggs
2 cups of cold water
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup finely diced onion (you can sub 1/3 cup dried onion flakes)
1 tsp salt
½ cup unsalted butter
3 tbsps Berbere
1 cup Niter Kebbeh liquid
2 tbsp Niter Kebbeh solid
1 tsp ginger powder
½ tsp black pepper
4 cayenne peppers.

Place chicken in a bowl with 1 cup of water, all the lemon juice, 1/3 of the onions and the salt.
Set aside for 20 min.

Meanwhile, melt butter, slowly in large, heavy sauce pan. Add Niter Kebbeh liquid and solid. Add the remaining onion and sauté until they are a pale brown. Add ¼ cup of the remaiing water and the Berbere while stirring continuously for 15 min.

Add the rest of the water and the marinated chicken pieces. Cook for 15 min, turning frequently.

Mix the ginger with the final ½ cup of water then pour over chicken.

Stir. Sprinkle with black pepper. Stir.

Peel hard boiled eggs. Add peeled eggs to the chicken mixture.

Wash cayennes and cut off stems. Toss whole into the chicken mixture.

Reduce heat and simmer for 20 -30 min.

Serve with Injera.

Yebeg Alecha
(Ethiopian Lamb Stew)

1 tbsp butter.
½ cup Niter Kebbeh Liquid
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 ½ cups water
1 ½ lbs lean lamb cut into strips
¼ tsp ginger powder
½ tsp curry powder
1 large clove of garlic, coarsely chopped
1 tsp of salt
2 green bell peppers, seeded and quartered.
1 cayenne pepper.

In a heavy 4 qt pot sauté onion in butter until brown.
Add Niter Kebbeh and water and bring to a rapid boil.
Add lamb strips and reduce heat.
Simmer for an hour or more –until lamb is tender.
Add everything except the green peppers and simmer until liquid is reduced.
Add the green peppers. Simmer for 15 min.

Serve with Injera.
Zil Zil Tibs
(Ethiopian Steak)

2 lbs boneless sirloin (top round works, too. But Venison has the best taste) steak, cut into 1 inch by 3 inch strips.
½ cup of water
1 cup of finely diced onion. ( you can sub 1/3 cup dried onion flakes)
1tsp salt
1/4 cup of Niter Kebbeh liquid Plus 4 tbsp melted butter.
4 tbsp Berbere
1 tbsp Niter Kebbeh solids
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 clove of garlic diced fine
½ tsp ground nutmeg
3 small ‘fingerling’ hot green peppers.

In a large skillet (hopefully iron), heat Niter Kebbeh and butter over a moderate heat.
Saute beef in pan so it browns evenly.

Add all remaining ingredients. Stir well. Simmer covered for 15 min or until beef is tender.

Serve with Injera.

Injera

Injera is a traditional Ethiopian bread, usually about 18” in diameter, and looks like a half cooked grey pancake. It is delicious but you have to have it fresh. 2 days old is BAD. Normally the meal is served on the injera, with the cook bringing out a platter on which a piece of injera is laid, and huge piles of the various foods above are on the injera platter. A separate platter with extra injera is also brought to the table.
Each person serves themselves a piece of injera, and as the platter goes around, each person serves themselves food.

No utensils except for serving utensils. You tear off pieces of the injera and grab your food with it. When done, you eat your ‘plate’.

I attempted to make this once. I now drive to the African Market for it, because you can only make one piece at a time!!!

5 tbsps all purpose flour
3 cups Tef flour
¼ tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups water
3 ½ cups room temp club soda.
Huge (18” diameter) Teflon skillet or electric frying pan.
NOTE: Injera should never be allowed to brown

Preheat Griddle to 350 degrees.

Put all dry ingredients in large bowl.
Pour in the club soda very slowly.
Stir carefully and slowly.
Add regular water.
Stir
Pour batter through cheese cloth to rid it of lumps.

Pour ¼ cup of batter onto griddle.
(If using Teflon pan, remove from heat)
Cook for 1 min (on one side only)...or until large pores form on bread.
Remove carefully with spatula.

Repeat until you have it all cooked.

I love you all....
Happy Memorial Day!

CatSlave
05-25-2007, 08:09 PM
WOW!! The Ethiopian feast looks wonderful -- thank you.

Here's another favorite for the AW collection:

KOREAN-STYLE SHORT RIBS
A long marinade in a mixture of Korean ingredients infuses these short ribs with spicy-sweet heat. Braising the ribs locks in the fiery, garlicky flavor and results in incredibly tender meat that pulls easily away from the bone.

1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted and cooled completely
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons gochujang (Korean hot-pepper paste)
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
6 lb beef short ribs or flanken
3 cups water
1 (2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, smashed

Special equipment: an electric coffee/spice grinder
Accompaniment: kimchi

Grind sesame seeds to a coarse powder in grinder. Reserve 1/4 cup scallion greens, then whisk together remaining scallions, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, hot-pepper paste, sesame oil, and 2 tablespoons sesame-seed powder in a large bowl. Reserve remaining sesame-seed powder for serving. Add short ribs to soy sauce mixture, rubbing mixture into them. Transfer ribs to a large sealable plastic bag and seal bag, pressing out excess air. Marinate, chilled, at least 8 hours.

Transfer ribs to a wide 6- to 8-quart heavy pot and add water and ginger. Simmer, tightly covered, until ribs are very tender, about 3 hours.

Transfer ribs to a platter using tongs and keep warm, covered with foil. Skim fat from sauce and pour sauce through a sieve lined with a dampened paper towel into a bowl, then discard solids. Serve ribs with sauce in shallow bowls and sprinkle with reserved scallion greens and remaining sesame-seed powder.

Cooks' notes:
• Ribs can be marinated up to 1 day.
• Ribs can be braised 2 days ahead and cooled in sauce, uncovered, then chilled, covered. Remove fat from sauce, then reheat, covered, over moderate heat and proceed with recipe. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

TsukiRyoko
05-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Got a simple recipe, but damn is it good.

Ingredients:
2 Chicken breasts, cooked and seasoned with salt and pepper
16 oz sour cream
1 can cream of chicken
Prepared stuffing/dressing

Shred chicken and layer the bottom of a casserole dish with the pieces. For the next layer, alternate dallops of sour cream and cream of chicken (you can smooth it out if you want, but it melts down). Then, layer the stuffing on top (as much as you want) and cook on 375 for about a half an hour. Simple, but damn is it good.

I want some right now, actually.... *tummy grumbles*

Carole
10-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Dragging this one out from under a rock...

More cooking stuff!! (I get this way sometimes. Please humor me. :D )

So, I was reading something recently about Rachel Ray and her plan for meals on $40 a day.

*blink*blink*

$40 a day?!?! You gotta be kidding me! There would barely be enough left of my paycheck to put gas in the truck! Who are these people who can spend $1,200 on groceries every month and what do they do for a living?

I need some cheap-eats recipes. That's what I can afford.

Ok, so with some Googling, I learned that her $40 a day plan is for eating out, but still. When Mr. Vagabond and I travel, we are cheap beyond all cheapness. The dollar menu is definitely our friend! This summer, we've been working on the house. A LOT. Since we're working in a house with no electricity, we got into the habit of eating at a pizza joint for lunch every day. That became expensive very quick.

So we bought a cooler. That's the ticket for cheap eats. Sammiches and lemonade!

But I'm thinking that we won't be doing the cooler thing for long. Soon, we'll be in the house and actually back to wandering to the fridge for lunch. For the record, Mr. Vagabond hates sandwiches. Anyone have lunch ideas that don't involve two slices of bread, mayo and sliced meat?

JLCwrites
10-07-2007, 12:34 AM
If you have a Trader Joes nearby, this is a good one to try.

Chicken Enchiladas express!
One can of white chicken. TJ brand.
One package tortillas
One bottle of Pineapple Salsa. TJ's again!
One bottle of TJ's enchilada sauce.
One bag of shredded mozzarella cheese.

Drain liquid from can of chicken, mix with half the bottle of enchilada sauce, 1/2 bottle of pineapple salsa, and two cups shredded cheese.

Put two tablespoonfuls of mixture on each tortilla, roll and place in baking dish. (Do this until chicken filling is gone. Approx 6 to 8 enchiladas.)

Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas, and add another handful of cheese.

Put it in the oven and bake for 20-30 min. at 400. (canned chicken is already cooked, so you are just heating it up and melting the cheese!)

Enjoy! (with a blackberry margarita!)

Carole
10-07-2007, 01:53 AM
uh, YUM!!!! That sounds fantastic!

Zero on the Trader Joes in Tennessee, much less in Knoxville. Bummer. I do have Kroger, though, and I live on their store brands. They have the best sales. Every week they stock new bins with $1 items. Technically they are 10 for $10, but Kroger doesn't make you buy in bulk. On any given week, they have everything from liquid soap, toothbrushes, cereal, pasta, shells & cheese, paper towels - tons of stuff.

Today I bought 2 boxes of Kroger brand cereals, Kroger salsa, Kroger spaghetti noodles, Kroger tortilla chips, Kroger milk (not $1, but still under $5 - better than other brands). I do love me some sales!

Carole
10-07-2007, 02:08 AM
I have a quick, cheap dinner and it's really good too. This evolved when I was a military wife and shopping on almost no money at the commissary.

Top Crust Chicken Pot Pie

2-3 skinned, deboned chicken breasts
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can peas, drained
1 can carrots, drained
Baking mix (like Bisquick or Jiffy)
Milk
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

Coat a large skillet with olive oil
Sprinkle pan lightly with salt & pepper
Cut chicken breasts into 1"-2" cubes and cook in skillet until no longer pink inside
In large casserole dish, add peas, carrots and both cans of soup
Stir chicken into casserole dish, mixing everything together well

For the top crust, this is really by your preference. We like a thick crust. Mix a batch of baking mix according to the directions for biscuits. Drop by spoonfuls onto the top, but close enough together so they'll form a full crust.

Since the chicken is already cooked, you're really only baking this long enough to get the crust done. I bake mine in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden on top.

Prepare to be lazy and do nothing after eating.

For total carb overload, serve with mashed potatoes. :)

Tasmin21
10-07-2007, 02:14 AM
I love recipe swaps! *frantically sorts through thread*

And here's one of my personal favorites for a very rich, moist cake. Don't worry, the alcohol all cooks out:

Whiskey Cake

1 box white or yellow cake mix
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 cup chopped nuts (I prefer walnuts)
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 BAD bourbon (and I mean the cheapest nastiest stuff you can find)
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup oil
5 eggs (4 if very large)

mix well, pour in greased & floured bundt pan
bake at 350 for 1 hour

sthrnwriter
10-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Here's a few "sweet" recipes:

Banana Blueberry Pie

1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 (12 ounce) cool whip
2 graham cracker crusts
1 can blueberry pie filling (or any kind of pie filling you want)
3 bananas

Cream together cream cheese, sugar and cool whip. Slice bananas in single layers and place into bottom of crust (if you want you can put a few on top of pie). Cover with creamed mixture 1/2 in each pie. Cover top with blueberry pie filling. Chill.

Chocolate Pancakes

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 cup milk chocolate chips
cool whip
powdered sugar

Sift flour, soda, sugar, salt and cocoa into large bowl. Break eggs into bowl. Beat lightly and add milk. Melt butter and cool. Set aside. Add egg mixture to flour and mix. Stir in melted butter and chocolate chips. Cook on a lightly greased griddle. Dust with powdered sugar and top with cool whip.

My sixth grade math teacher (it's her recipe) made these for all her students at the end of the year. They are delicious!

Dirt Cake

1/2 stick butter, softened
8 ounce cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
3 1/2 cup milk
2 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
1 (12 ounce) cool whip, thawed
1 (12 ounce) oreo cookies

Finely chop oreos in food processor (or you can do it like we do and put them in a zip-lock bag and smash them). Divide into thirds. Cream butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix pudding and milk about 2 minutes. Fold in cool whip. Stir in cream cheese mixture. Place 1/3 oreos on bottom, add 1/2 of the creamy mixture. Repeat 1/3 oreos and other half cream mix. End with last 1/3 oreos. Refrigerate overnight or til well set.

You can get creative with this one and put gummy worms or whatever in it.

Jaycinth
10-12-2007, 05:26 PM
You buy milk and put chocolate into it.

What????

I just wanted to pull this thread up front, again. Again.

Carole
10-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Thank you Jay! I made your cold remedy last night, only I changed it into an Irish concoction. I used Whiskey instead of vodka, rum or gin. Now I'm on Vitamin C, Echinacea, Goldenseal, Zinc and a nifty B complex. Off to get chicken soup.

(waaa...sniffle...cough)

Jaycinth
02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Bumping this for Yeshanu.

There are a bunch of veggie recipies in here

There is also this: Boop Boop tee Doop (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1811534&postcount=2056)

Of course I am also bumping this for my own devious purposes.

Only Carole knows for sure....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

JoeEkaitis
02-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I'll let everyone know how the Lenten vegetarian Red Beans and Rice turns out tonight. :)

Soccer Mom
03-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Yet another zombie thread crawls from under it's stone, mysteriously reanimated and transported to the cooking forum.

Beware!

Carole
03-06-2009, 08:19 AM
It's ALIVE!!!!! Muaahaahaaa

CatSlave
03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I know I posted this on another thread recently, but I just can't remember which one.
It's intriguing enough to share again (stolen from Allrecipes site):

Kashmiri-Style Kidney Beans & Turnips

2 turnips, peeled and cubed
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
1 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri garam masala
Place turnips into a saucepan with the water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the turnip is soft, about 5 minutes. Once tender, stir in the kidney beans, and cook 5 minutes more.
Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the cumin and fennel, and cook until the spices toast and become fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the onion, and cook until it turns golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the minced ginger and garlic, cook and stir for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes and salt, and continue cooking until the mixture turns pasty. Finally, stir in the paprika, turmeric, ground ginger, and 2 tablespoons water; cook 2 minutes more.
Add the tomato mixture to the turnips, and simmer 10 minutes. Season with garam masala before serving.

Carole
03-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Uber-Simple Italian Sauce

I'm making a batch of this right now, so I thought I'd share my mother in law's recipe. It's really easy, and REALLY good. My boys will eat this plain, just dipping bread into it.

1/4 C olive oil
1 large clove garlic, or two small cloves (minced)
2 Tbsp parsley
1 tsp Basil
2 quarts tomatoes, sieved (I use canned, crushed tomatoes)
1 small can Tomato paste
Salt & Pepper to taste

Once you have everything together, it goes really fast. Set your burner to a low-medium heat. Pour the oil in heated kettle or a very deep skillet. Lightly brown your garlic in the oil, and then add the parsley and basil. Stir it around a bit and then add the tomatoes and tomato paste. Raise the heat to medium and take it to a slight boil, stirring fairly often to prevent sticking.

Lower the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and just go back & check it once in a while. It should take about an hour to cook. Everything will mellow together into this delicious sauce good for any Italian dish that you might use typical spaghetti sauce for.

Although this recipe calls for salt and pepper, you might want to wait until it's finished cooking and taste it before adding any. I almost never add salt or pepper. It just doesn't need it, in my opinion.

You can add meat--my mother in law always uses ground pork. If you add meat, add raw meat at the beginning so that the flavors combine. Adding cooked meat will hurt the flavor a lot--it will tend to taste more like two separate things in the same sauce. Also add about 2 additional hours of simmering to the pot.

You can also help out an anemic canned sauce by going through the oil, garlic, parsley and basil bit and then adding the canned sauce to it. Just don't use quite as much for one can or jar of sauce. Even olive oil alone will really make canned sauce better.

DragonHeart
09-14-2009, 07:13 AM
I don't yet have any recipes to contribute but this thread really makes me wish I knew how to cook. Just thought I'd bring it back from the abyss, what with the season change and all. :)

Haggis
06-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Thread mysteriously arises from the dead.

Quick someone. Breathe life into it.

Recipes. We need recipies.

Ari Meermans
06-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Okay, I'll go. Here's a new favorite from Allrecipes (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bacon-y-bok-choy/) 'cause I have to start eating healthier (No, that does NOT mean giving up my bacon. Sorry, ain't happenin'.):

Bacon-y Bok Choy

INGREDIENTS:
4 slices bacon, chopped
2 pounds baby bok choy
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon minced garlic
salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and drain the fat, reserving one tablespoon of the grease in the skillet. Add the olive oil, onion, red pepper flakes and garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat until the onions are starting to be tender.

2. Add the bok choy, and place a lid on the pan. Let cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the lid; cook and stir until the bok choy is tender but still crunchy, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon, and season with salt. Serve piping hot!

Cranky
06-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Ah, yay, recipes! Lemme add my favorite guacamole recipe

Spicy Guacamole

3 large Haas avocados
1 large tomato (or 3 Roma tomatoes, whichever)
1 white onion
4-5 serrano chiles
Handful of cilantro, chopped (I just eyeball it, honestly)
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 tablespoons lime juice

Combine onion, tomato, chiles, cilantro and sea salt into a paste. (I usually pitch them all into my food processor for this) Take care when handling the chiles -- they WILL burn your hands!

Halve the avocados, removing pits and scraping as much as you can from the peels. Chop roughly before adding to the paste, then add the lime juice and combine well until you achieve the desired texture. Me, I like mine kind of lumpy.

Grab your chips and munch away!

harmonyisarine
06-07-2014, 05:24 AM
Okay, I'll go. Here's a new favorite from Allrecipes (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bacon-y-bok-choy/) 'cause I have to start eating healthier (No, that does NOT mean giving up my bacon. Sorry, ain't happenin'.):

Bacon-y Bok Choy

Bacon-fried bok choy is one of my favorite veggies (though bok choy fried in schmaltz might be even better). I made it for Memorial Day with bacon that I cure and my dad smokes, and I don't think that recipe's ever tasted better.

My recipe contribution is Creamy Green Onion Soup from care2.com (found in a fruitless search for a green onion broth recipe), with some alterations.

Original recipe:

INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons butter
6 bunches scallions
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
5 cups vegetable broth
2 cups small mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup heavy cream

1. In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, melt the butter and add the green onions, along with salt and pepper to taste. Saute for a few minutes, until the onions are softened, then add broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Add 1 cup of the mushrooms. Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth, then put the soup back in the pot, add the cream and the remaining mushrooms, and heat gently (do not boil) until the mushrooms are tender.

3. Serve warm.

Serves 4.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/creamy-green-onion-soup-recipe.html#ixzz33ucU0Ga4

My changes:

I use only one bundle of green onions, very rarely two, because I misread the recipe. I also use two containers of baby mushrooms, instead of two cups. It's a much more mushroomy soup, but I like it better that way.

Haggis
06-07-2014, 05:43 AM
Bacon-fried bok choy is one of my favorite veggies (though bok choy fried in schmaltz might be even better). I made it for Memorial Day with bacon that I cure and my dad smokes, and I don't think that recipe's ever tasted better.

My recipe contribution is Creamy Green Onion Soup from care2.com (found in a fruitless search for a green onion broth recipe), with some alterations.

Original recipe:

INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons butter
6 bunches scallions
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
5 cups vegetable broth
2 cups small mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup heavy cream

1. In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, melt the butter and add the green onions, along with salt and pepper to taste. Saute for a few minutes, until the onions are softened, then add broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Add 1 cup of the mushrooms. Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth, then put the soup back in the pot, add the cream and the remaining mushrooms, and heat gently (do not boil) until the mushrooms are tender.

3. Serve warm.

Serves 4.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/creamy-green-onion-soup-recipe.html#ixzz33ucU0Ga4

My changes:

I use only one bundle of green onions, very rarely two, because I misread the recipe. I also use two containers of baby mushrooms, instead of two cups. It's a much more mushroomy soup, but I like it better that way.
That sounds really, really good.

harmonyisarine
06-10-2014, 05:12 AM
The mushroom and green onion is my favorite soup. I actually planted green onions this year just to see if I can get enough to make a batch of this (they're giving me more trouble than everything else, though).

Tonight's dinner was a spring onion and bacon frittata with some amazing early-season strawberries from the Amish down the road. Yesterday was pork pot-sticker dumplings, which I hadn't made in ages. They weren't my prettiest, but they were still amazing.