All Recipes for All Seasons! Let's have them!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Vanessa had a wonderful idea about a thread for sharing recipes. I started one a while back about cooking during the colder months, but she thought it would be a great idea to have an all season recipe thread. I couldn't agree more!

So, let's have them! All recipes for All Seasons! Let's get on with the smorgasbord! WooHoo!!!!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Carole, here's one to use up all JAlpha's treats (see Haiku thread ;-)). This one will sound strange, but my kids beg for it.

Snicker Salad

Snicker bars (left over from Halloween)
green apples
Cool Whip

Cut up the green apples. Dice up Snickers fairly fine. Mix both (in preferred quantities) with several dollups of Cool Whip. Enjoy (the presence of apples makes this a health food).

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone love the taste of mincemeat (the sweet mince-pies for santa stuff) but find mince-pies too fattening and too sickly sweet so you can only have a mouthful or two instead of endlessly enjoying the mincemeat taste?

Here's something:

1 Can ready-made semolina
mincemeat to taste.

Empty can of semolina into microwaveable bowl
Add from two teaspoons up to 1 1/2 tablespoons (to taste) of mincemeat
Stir mincemeat into semolina
Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes stir and then microwave one minute more

Of course, you don't have to use canned semolina OR a microwave - you can do this with semolina powder and a saucepan - but that takes longer and needs more washing up and turns it into a 'organized' food instead of a 'haphazard' one. If you want to use the pan method then cook the semolina and stir in the mincemeat at the end of the cook just before taking off the stove.

------

Hmmmm..... winter warmer, good any time of day from first awake to mid-day snack to supper desert to midnight craving... yummm!!!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Delicous soup:

1. Find can opener
2. Open can with can opener
3. Dump content in a bowl
4. Microwave content in the bowl on high for 2 minutes

Serve 1.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Carol. Just want to let you know I'm in. I'll be back to drop a few of my favorites into the pot.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Where's J? She's been dying to drop a few too. I'd love to see some really good recipes from all across the countries. I think it's cool to see the many cultures of culinary skills.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure she's out tormenting children right now!

I'll tell you what I would love to learn: Authentic Chinese cooking. I have tried. And failed. Laughably, no less. My results are way worse than McDonald's does Chinese. My veggies are always smooshy and my rice always gets sticky unless I cheat and use minute rice.

book_maven

Reader Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I have been and can be a gourmet cook, but rarely do it any more. But here are a couple of simple good recipes:

For summer: Hot Tomato Salad

Fresh Creole or Roma Tomatoes
Yummy hot sauce, like Crystal or Tabasco
Kosher Salt

Slice tomatoes. Place in bowl. Add a pinch kosher salt and a shake or three of hot sauce per Roma sized tomato. Can use a blend of tomatoes, as are in season. Can add fresh basil. Can add fresh English thyme too. Can add chopped red or Vidalia onion. Can add one part red wine or balsamic vinegar to two parts olive oil. Mix well. Let stand 30 minutes or more.

Serving suggestions: Spoon over slices of good mozzarella cheese; serve artfully as a side; toss in salad before serving; mix in cold pasta salad before serving. <drools at thought of it>

A very simple and quick dish:
Take two chicken breasts. Cut them into strips, dredge each strip in flour, then dipp the chicken in a mixture of salsa and egg (2 eggs beaten for 1/2 jar of salsa) and then dip the strips into finely crushed tortilla chips and fry in a bit of oil on medium heat.

Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce is a favorite of mine. Here are a couple of variations. You can use it as a pizza sauce (instead of tomato), as a soup base, on pasta and many other dishes.

Recipe 1:
2 large garlic cloves
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
1/3 cup unsalted natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar

Recipe 2:
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Cooking Directions
In medium microwave-safe bowl, stir together ingredients. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 1 1/2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds. Serve warm with baked ham. Makes about 3/4 cup sauce.

3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
1 small onion , diced
2 tablespoons minced shallot s
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
1 tablespoon minced lemongrass (about 3 stalks)
3kaffir lime leaves (or 1 teaspoon chopped lime zest)
2 cups minced cilantro
1/3 cup finely minced basil
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water (optional)
4 servings cooked rice

TO PREPARE SAUCE: Place the coconut milk, peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, onion, shallots, garlic, curry paste, lemongrass, lime leaves, cilantro, and basil in a large saucepan. While stirring, bring just to a simmer over medium-low heat; do not boil. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat, adjust the seasonings, and strain before serving. If you wish a thicker consistency, combine 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water, stir to dissolve, and mix into the sauce until thoroughly combined; continue to cook until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I cook to show my family I love them.

And I love all of you too! Since I keep a stocked 'cottage garden' I usually prefer to use fresh stuff. But it is fall, and many people don't garden, so I have substituted dried for fresh in many instances. Don't Panic. If you really want to spend all day in the kitchen (when you aren't out tracking down fresh herbs), let me know and I'll e- mail you 'the director's cut'.

But for now: PASTA WITH ITALIAN SAUSAGE

1 package sweet Italian sausage (grocery packs it in 20oz packages)

1tsp dried onion flakes

1tsp dried garlic flakes

1tsp each basil, oregano, rosemary.

¼ sweet red bell pepper , finely diced.

1 big fresh tomato, well chopped.

1 28 oz can of stewed tomatoes

4 tbsp Olive oil

2 tbsp red wine

½ tsp sea salt

½ tsp dark brown sugar

1 pinch of black pepper

½ pinch turmeric

the barest sprinkle of nutmeg

1 box of whole grain pasta ( Or spinach pasta-linguine)

parmesian cheese ( if you like it)

Place sausage in skillet (iron skillet if you have one) add ¼ cup of water, cover and simmer for 10-12 min ( until water is gone) Remove lid and continue to stir-fry for 5 more min until lightly browned on the sides. Remove from pan, put on paper towels to drain.

Pour olive oil into pan turn up heat. Add onion, garlic, basil, oregano and rosemary. Stir-fry for 2 minuets. Add fresh chopped tomato and bell pepper. Stir fry for 5 minuets. Add red wine, salt, sugar, pepper, turmeric, and nutmeg. Reduce heat and simmer covered.

Using a sharp knife slice sausage at an angle so you have thin ovals and not rounds. (Ovals are nicer looking when you serve this, you see.) Toss this into your simmering sauce.

Take the can of stewed tomatoes, and dump it into your blender. Hit *puree* for 2 min. Dump the resulting mixture into your simmering sauce. Stir. Taste. Some of you may like more salt or more pepper or vice versa. (This recipie also tastes good with HOT Italian sausage and a fresh cayenne tossed in to make life interesting. If you do that, double the turmeric and nutmeg.)

Boil the water for your pasta. Prepare your pasta. While pasta is preparing, continue stirring your sauce, make sure it is happily simmering but not so high it sticks to your pan as the moisture evaporates.

As soon as the pasta is ready serve it up along with a nice green salad and some garlic bread on the side. Since the bottle of wine is open anyway, serve that too. (Unless you used it to make salad dressing)

This serves 2 adults and 3 kids or 2 adults and 1.5 teenagers. ( Or 1 teenager who has just completed a 10 mile run.)

More from my kitchen tomorrow.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
SAUSAGE AND LENTIL SOUP

1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 bulb garlic, peeled and minced
1 lb. dry lentils
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth
2 broth cans water
1 lb. sweet or hot turkey Italian sausage, whole links
2 bay leaves

Combine onion, garlic, lentils, Italian seasoning, olive oil, broth, and water in slow cooker. Add sausage links, float bay leaves on top and cover the crock.

(At this point, the crock can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.)

Cook 6 hours on High. Discard bay leaves. Remove sausage links and allow to cool 15 minutes. Meanwhile, stir soup for 2 minutes to puree' some of the lentils, which will thicken the soup. Slice cooled sausage and return to soup. Serve with biscuits or cornbread for a "meal in a bowl."

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Gingersnap Cookies with Pumpkin Dip

My sister made this last Christmas and No one could stop eating it!

Gingersnap Cookies

* 3/4 cup shortening
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/4 cup light molasses
* 1 egg
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cream together shortening and sugar, add egg and beat until fluffy. Stir in molasses and mix well.
2. Sift all dry ingredients-twice, then add to molasses mixture and mix well
3. Using a cookie scoop or spoon scoop out spoonfuls of dough and form into round balls. Roll tops of balls in sugar.
4. Place the round balls on a cookie sheet, these cookies flatten as they bake.
5. Bake for exactly 9 minutes in a preheated 350 degree (175 degree C) oven. Remove from baking sheet and cool.

Pumpkin Dip

* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
* 2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
* 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
* 1 teaspoon frozen orange juice concentrate

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Gradually mix in the pumpkin. Stir in the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and orange juice until smooth and well blended. Chill until serving.

Directions: Pick up cookie. Plunge into pumpkin dip. Eat. Repeat often.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Noodle-Wurst Casserole

Noodle-Wurst Casserole

1 16 oz. box rotini pasta
1 16 oz. container sour cream
1 10.5 oz. can cream of chicken soup
1 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
12 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced as desired

Grease a casserole with butter or margarine, or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Cook and drain the rotini per package directions. Combine sour cream, soups, green onions, pepper and garlic powder in a large pot, stir until blended. Stir in the cheese and smoked sausage, followed by the rotini. Stir until sausage and rotini are evenly coated.

Spoon into greased casserole, place in cold oven. Set oven for 350 degrees F. and bake 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

And don't worry about leftovers. ;)

Variations: substitute a 24 oz. bag of frozen shredded hash brown potatoes for the rotini.

In either recipe, reserve about 1/4 of the cheese to sprinkle on top halfway through the baking.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
This is one from the other thread. My aunt's spoon cornbread. Caution: It's addicting!

Spoon Corn Bread
(You might call it a cornbread souffle. You can't really pick it up and eat it like traditional cornbread, but having to use a spoon or fork is a worthy sacrifice!)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup plain white cornmeal
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees

*Heat milk over medium heat in saucepan. Stir in cornmeal gradually. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in butter and salt and remove from heat.

*Cool for 15 minutes then stir in eggs. Pour into buttered 6 cup casserole or souffle dish.

*Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until well risen and lightly browned.

Be careful if you are a fan of cornbread that isn't sweet. I have a tendancy to want to eat the entire PAN! (smothered in butter, of course!)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
And another. My mom's cabbage rolls.

Cabbage Rolls

10 large cabbage leaves
1 pound ground beef
3 Tbsp chopped onion
3 Tbsp chopped green pepper
3 Tbsp chopped celery(I'm not a celery fan so I usually omit this)
3/4 c cooked rice (If you only partially cook the rice, it will expand in the crock pot and fill out the cabbage better - almost sealing it)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
1/3 C water
1 - 10 ounce can tomatoes
1/4 tsp each, salt & seasoned salt
1 pkg Polish Sausage, sliced into 2 inch pieces

Cook cabbage leaves in boiling water for abut 5 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.

Combine ground beef, veggies, rice, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp salt & pepper in bowl and mix well.

Spoon meat mixture into individual cabbage leaves. Wrap the edges around and secure with a toothpick.

Place rolls, seam/toothpick side down, in a casserole dish or stock pot or crock pot, however you choose to make them.

Mix remaining ingredients together, except the sausage, and pour over the top. Place sausage pieces around the rolls.

If you are baking this dish, cover the casserole and bake at 350 for an hour. If you are cooking in a stock pot, just cover and simmer for an hour on medium heat. I've never made this in a crock pot although my mom does it all the time. I'm not sure about how long it would take so if you are going to try it, it might be best to do that on a day when you'll be home so you can watch over it.

**Make sure you either remove all the toothpicks after the rolls are done or at least warn everyone that there is a toothpick in each roll!

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! I remembered another. This one is a favorite of all my guys. It's really easy and probably could notbemore unhealthy! This is definitely a wintertime guy dinner!

Meatballs & Mashed Potatoes

1 lb ground beef
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp chopped onion
1/2 C bread crumbs (if you use seasoned breadcrumbs, you may want to cut back on the salt)
1 egg
A couple dashes of worchestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Then form into meatballs. Cook on low heat in a frying pan until done all the way through (about 15-20 minutes for average sized meatballs) Remove meatballs and deglaze the pan with about a cup of water. Pour the out the liquid so it can be measured for making the gravy.

Prepare mashed potatoes as you normally would. I like to use condensed milk and real butter. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of sour cream to the mix.

Prepare basic brown gravy. I cheat. I use two pagkages of brown gravy mix. Measure the liquid from deglazing the meatball pan and use that in the brown gravy mix instead of plain water. You will have to add more water to it, but it's better if you use the pan liquid, too. Cook it in the meatball pan. When it's partially thickened, return the meatballs to the pan and simmer together.

Now for the eating part:

Place a mound of mashed potatoes on the plate, making a dent in the center. Place meatballs into the dent and smother with gravy.

This is real health food!!!

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Chile Rellenos

6-8 Poblano peppers (They look like giant jalapenos)
2 lg. eggs, separated
1/2 tsp. salt
Monterey Jack cheese
Flour for coating
Oil for frying

Broil peppers until skin is blackened and bubbly, turning to make sure all sides are even. Remove from oven. Put in plastic bag. Let cool. Peel off outer layer of skin. Slice down one side and remove seeds. (If you remove the seeds before you broil, they won't be as spicy-hot.) Stuff with cheese. Coat generously with flour. Beat egg whites till stiff. Beat yolks and fold into beaten egg whites. Add salt. Dip stuffed peppers into egg mixture. Fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides.

It usually works out better if you fry the split side of the pepper first. That way, the cheese will be sealed in with the browned crust.

Sauce ( I don't normally use this sauce, but a lot of people like it. Usually, I'll just put a little salsa and sour cream on top of the chiles.)

1 can tomato sauce
3 tbsp. chopped onion
1/4 tsp. garlic
3 oz. tomatoes and green chili peppers
1/4 c. water if needed

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, this one is a really old recipe. Granny's (mom's mom) tomato dumplings. Sounds odd. You just have to taste it. Either you'll love it or never want to try it again. Eveyone in my family loves it.

Mom tells me that Granny learned to make these from her mom. It's hard to say just how old this recipe really is. When Granny was in her mid 80's, the family got together and made a cookbook called Mom's Cooking, filled with all her old recipes. That's one of my most cherished books! Granny would be 105 if she were still living, but she left us when she was 89.

Granny's Tomato Dumplings

3 large cans (3 quarts) of whole tomatoes without the skins (Home canned is WAY better)
1/4 C sugar
2 C flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp Lard (remember, this is a really old recipe. I use Crisco instead of lard)
1 c buttermilk

Pour the tomatoes and all their liquid into a soup pot and add the sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.

Sift all the remaining dry ingredients together in a bowl. Cut shortening into the flour mixture with a fork until it's evenly distributed.

With a spoon, scoop up dollops of the dumpling mixture and drop into the simmering liquid. The dumplings will sink at first, then rise to the surface. Keep dropping the dumplings into the liquid, even though the surface of the pot will be covered with dumplings. The new ones you add will sink, and by the time they rise, they won't attach to the others. Continue until you've used up all the dumpling mixture or until you have all you want in the pot.

Cover with a loose fitting lid and simmer for about an hour, adding a little water if the pot begins to get low.

These will be good on the first day. They will be MUCH better on the second day. The dumplings will be fluffier on the first day and denser on the second.

Last edited:

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I should have bought the list to work. Oh Well.

Jello Pie.

This is a dumb easy desert. But my family thinks I work hard on it. “Mom…if I fold the laundry…wash the cat…dig the garden…change your oil…will you make a jello pie tonight? I guess I’m outing myself.

1 box of jello. ( regular or sugar free, who cares)

1 tub of Cool Whip- thawed (Or the generic..regular or fat free…who cares)

1 pre-made Oreo pie crust ( Or graham cracker or vanilla wafer…ditto)
Water. (Duuuuhhhhhhh)

Make the jello according to directions but add only 7/8 cup of cold water. Mix well and chill until loosely set. ( It will be close to holding shape, like a hair gel)

Add most of the container of whipped topping. ( Put the rest in your coffee, or throw it at the kids for squeals of......delight.)

Mix well….your jello will turn a nice pastel shade…(like Easter…AWWWWWWW)

Pour it into the pie crust, it should be thick enough to mound up and form a little peak in the center. If not, don’t sweat it. Refrigerate for 2 or 3 hours or more.)

Act like it is a big deal when you serve it, or take it to your office and hog it to yourself.

For Halloween, I put chocolate sprinkles on an orange pie and made a ‘pie-o-lantern’.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chinese Anything

CHINESE STIR-FRY

3/4 to 1 pound chicken, round steak, or pork, cut into bite-size pieces or strips
Cornstarch
Soy sauce
1/2 - 1 tsp. chopped or minced garlic, fresh or from a jar, water- or oil-pack
2 Tbsp. cooking oil: vegetable, peanut, or canola
Vegetables cut into bite-sized pieces, 2 - 6 cups

In a small bowl, mix 2 tsp. cornstarch with 2 tsp. soy sauce and 1/2 to 1 tsp. garlic. Coat meat. If you don’t have enough mixture to coat it, in a separate dish or cup mix another 1 tsp. cornstarch and 1 tsp. soy sauce and pour into bowl. (Flavor sinks in if you let meat sit in the mixture for a while [30 minutes to all day], in the refrigerator.) Leave the soy sauce and corn starch out--you'll be using them again.

Heat oil in large skillet or wok. Stir-fry meat for 2 minutes or until it shows no pink or red. Don't worry about some of the sauce mixture sticking. Add vegetables (broccoli, snow peas, mushrooms, bok choy, red or green pepper, thinly-sliced carrots, coarsely chopped onion, canned baby corn, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, straw mushrooms, etc.) and stir fry about 3 minutes, to heat through.

In a small bowl or cup, mix 1/3 c. cool water, 1/4 c. soy sauce, and 1 Tbsp. cornstarch. Pour into skillet or wok and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Serve over cooked rice or pasta.

The trick to making the sticky rice that goes right is to use short-grain rice and to get to know your own stove. On mine, I bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil, throw in 1 cup of short-grain rice, and reduce the heat to low. It takes exactly 18 minutes. In our old house, it was 16.

I will bow to anybody's more authentic recipe, but this one works with just about everything except fresh fish.

Maryn, decent cook

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
My mother in law gave me this recipe. It is probably my favorite cake in the world. I know a lot of people don't like black walnuts, myself included. I tried to substitute English walnuts, and it tasted wrong. The black walnuts are really necessary for the combinations to taste right. They sorta mellow during the baking process.

Chop Suey Cake

2 C sifted flour
2 C sugar
1 C chopped black walnuts (reserve a little for garnishing the frosting)
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 large can crushed pineapple with the juice
1/2 C flaked coconut (or more, if you like it)

Mix all ingredients together (including the juice form the pineapple) until well blended. Pour into greased and floured 9X13 cake pan.

Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes

Frosting

1 large pkg cream cheese (the regular Philadelphia pkg)
2 C powdered sugar
1 stick butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla
**optional-you can add coconut to the frosting, too

Beat all ingredients together until smooth. **important-Frost the cake while it's still warm. Garnish with reserved balck walnuts.

This cake should be refrigerated. Found that out the hard way!

Last edited:

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
When my cousins and I were all little kids, my older cousin made us scared to eat sweet potatoes. My grandmother had to find a way to get us to eat them again.

I only remember how to make a ‘family’ batch.

8 sweet, thick-skinned oranges.

4 or 5 big sweet potatoes…about the size of two fists together. (some stores call them Yams)

a bag of marshmallows

3 - 4 tsps cinnamon

1tsp nutmeg

½ tsp ginger ( better…fresh grated ginger)

½ cup plus 2tbsp dark brown sugar. ( you can use honey, corn syrup or molasses)

1tbsp dark rum

1 pinch of salt

1tsp baking soda

1/8 cup flour.

Boil sweet potatoes until they are soft enough to mash. Cool them, skin them and do just that, in a BIG bowl.

Cut oranges in half. Squeeze out some of the juice (mix it with the vodka you’re hiding from the kids) Scoop out the pulp, pull out the white fibrous stuff, and put into the remaining pulp into the sweet potato mixture. Save the scooped out orange halves.

Cover a baking pan ( one with at least 1” sides) with foil. Arrange the 16 empty orange halves on the sheet. Put a dab of butter ( like a thumbnail sized shaving) in the bottom of each and the barest pinch of cinnamon into the bottom of each.

Preheat oven to 375

Put the rest of the cinnamon and all of the other ingredients except the marshmallows into the bowl with the sweet-potato/orange mixture. Beat well. ( I suggest a hand mixer at high for 5 min) You want a smooth texture like mashed potatoes.)

Spoon the mixture into the orange halves, mounding it like cupcakes. ( You may have left over mixture. Grandma used to use it as a spread….peanut butter and sweet potato sandwiches.)

Bake at 375 for 15 min. Remove from oven Put marshmallows on top of each.(Optional : sprinkle with more cinnamon) Return to oven until the marshmallow is browned and gooey.

Remove, cool and serve.

Didja LIKE it? Didja!?!?!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
You people must be starving. Here's healthy food!

Pear and Walnut Pie.

(You can substitute Apples. My neighbor has a pear tree.)

Get one of those refrigerated pie crusts that you roll out and put in the pie shell. They come in 2’s so you will have your top crust also. ( If you prefer to make your own crust..cool! My pie crusts never come out right so I stopped trying.)

6 to 10 pears depending on size. Any variety will do.

1 lb (approx) of shelled walnuts. (halves...pieces.. you can even use pecans!)

1 shot(oz) dark rum

1tbsp ground or powdered cinnamon (leave the jar out)

1tsp nutmeg. (leave the jar out)

1 tsp ginger

½ tsp mace

½ tsp salt.

¾ cup dark brown sugar

1tbsp butter. (BUTTER!!!!!)

1tbsp molasses ( or a nice honey)

1tbsp oat bran.( You can put oatmeal in a blender to powder it somewhat. Works fine)

Prepare the bottom crust and put it in a deep dish pie pan.

Put the butter and molasses in a cup. Microwave under supervision until butter just melts. Remove. Stir well Add rum stir well.

In a large mixing bowl combine your butter/rum/molasses mixture. Add ½ cup of the brown sugar. Stir. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, ginger, salt and oatbran. Stir until blended.

Put ½ of your walnuts into your blender. Grind them to‘flour’. Add to bowl, stir well.

Peel, core and cut up your pears. ( I prefer tiny diced pieces in this pie.) Add them to the bowl and stir them in one by one. ( I usually eye this out as the fruits vary in size. You should stop cutting up pears when you determine you have enough to fill the crust.)

Spoon your mixture into the crust. Pat it down solidly with your spoon.

Take a handful of the remaining walnuts and use your hands to crumble them across the pie. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over that.

If you like, sprinkle more cinnamon and nutmeg on it too.

Preheat oven to 425.

Prepare the top crust. You can slice it into strips and make a basket weave, or you can take a Xmas cookie cutter and cut moons and stars into it to make it pretty. ( Or you can slap on the upper crust, poke a few hole into it and call it a day.)

Squeeze the crusts together on the edge and trim off any excess.

Put the pie in the oven at 425 degrees F for 10 min. Reduce heat to 350F and continue cooking for another 30 to 40 min. At 30 min begin checking on it. When the crust is browned nicely, take it out.

Cool and eat.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I actually created a recipe for Wild Rice Stuffed Chicken Breast with Balsamic Honey Glaze, but it got a little complicated so I couldn't even begin to tell you about it without finding the recipe (yes, I actually wrote it all down). If that sounds good to anyone, I can see about drumming up the recipe for it. But man did it turn out well.