how would this school have gotten named?

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I have already decided on Harrogate Academy name for the school around which my WIP centers and largely takes place. how would it get named?

the story takes place in an alternative present day in which superheroes actually exist. (more of a "relatively realistic" kind of superhero universe than the "anything goes" kind of superhero universe.) Harrogate Academy resides in rural Massachusetts in or near Pioneer Valley. its founder established it circa 1985 in order to train young aspiring superheroes. Harrogate has only around six students in any given year.

to this out of the way, I know that a guy with the last name of "Harrogate" did not found it.

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Presumably it's not in Harrogate. Perhaps it is based on the principles of an educator named Harrogate.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
It might have been named for an old battle ground or some famous war time thing.

It might be named for a famous medical/science discovery.

You didn't say what time period or what area this is located. Is this a real place?

It might be named for some famous ship.

It's your story. Named it for what ever you want.

Underthelivingmoon

Closets are for clothes
Registered
Reaction score
What genre are you writing? It would help your fellow writers to come up with ideas.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You didn't say what time period or what area this is located. Is this a real place?

rural Massachusetts in or near the Pioneer Valley region. I haven't named the town around the school or decided whether to make it real or fictional, or if the later option, what name to give it.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
The area was once a broad, fenced-in field, used in the 1700's as a hayfield, and even further back as pasturage. It was purchased by a wealthy man in the early 1800's who intended to build his home on the plot. However, upon digging the foundation, workers found an ancient relic in an underground pit.

Though some historians questioned exactly what it was - a slightly curved and polished, ten foot oaken plank embedded with over 100 pieces of sharp flint - the closest anyone could guess is that it was some type of ancient harrow, a farming tool used for breaking up clumps of soil prior to planting. (It resembled similarly-named ancient tools found in the south of Spain.)

Whatever it was, it was definitely an object of curiosity, and after cleaning, was hung in the solarium where the owner often entertained guests.

At an evening soiree about a year after the man finished building his great house, a visiting actress inquired why the house and estate were yet to be named. The owner replied he hadn't thought of a proper name, at which time the woman further inquired what the odd-looking and even dangerous thing was which hung inside the solarium. When told it was an ancient harrow, perhaps dating as far back as the Romans (or the earliest settlement of the colonies) the actress laughed and said then why not call the estate Harro(w)gate?

Because he was besotted with the woman, that's what he did.

However, the man, whose name is unimportant, died years later unmarried and without heir. In his will, he designated that the estate, along with what funds he had amassed, become a museum, or perhaps a school. It became the latter, though the original, ancient harrow is now gone. Lost, stolen or removed, it disappeared from the solarium shortly after Mr. -- passed away.

Last edited:

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
@jaksen: good one! I visualize the school as based out of a former manor house.

since the school got established in the 1980s it can't existed back in those days, though. at least not this specific version of the school.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Secretly funded by Bruce Wayne, he did NOT want it named the Bruce Wayne Academy. The unconfirmed rumor that Mr Wayne founded it came out after his death (though it was pretty much verified by a young aspiring reporter for the Daily Planet who checked wills and estate records and followed the money), but there's no explanation for why he wanted it named Harrogate.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Aren't there a lot of towns etc in Mass. named after english towns? The whole colonial naming etc? It's fair to assume that the name would be picked out at random, or be the name of an old township etc that no longer exists.

Or it could be a surname.

Ot just a name someone pulled out of their ass, so to speak. You should hear what some of the schools around me are called.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The founder needed the support of a local politician, and so agreed to name the school after her (him).

Harrogate was a spa town, back in the day. Maybe the school has a hot spring.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
There's a National Police Training Academy in Harrogate North Yorkshire, England. Could he have gone there?

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
I like jaksen's explanation.

In Philadelphia there's a house whose owner resisted naming it. After a particularly lively conversation on the topic, the owner shouted out the first nonsense he could think of.

I believe that Grumblethorpe is open to the public for tours.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Could also be a corruption of an older name, 'Hallow's Gate' which marked it as a place where criminals were hung. (Hallow is sometimes another name for gallo or gallows or hanging post.) A local with a speech impediment started calling it Harrogate, and so the name stuck. :D

(Or maybe the locals didn't like the hanging-association and changed the pronunciation.)

Plus it was hard selling a property that supposedly had a lot of ghosts hanging around with nooses around their necks.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I vote for dead astronaut or maybe an X-man.
sorry, wrong universe! and I don't own the copyright to Marvel's.

(the WIP does owe quite a lot to the X-Men, though. not so much that I would call it "my version of the X-Men", though nearly so. but I have mixed and matched certain characters from established superhero universes with other established superhero characters.)

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Possibly meaning place at the road to the cairn or heap of stones from the Old Norse haugr plus gata.[2]"p
good one, thanks. strangely, I hadn't really investigated what "Harrogate" (variant spelling "Harrowgate", I think) actually means.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Aren't there a lot of towns etc in Mass. named after english towns?

I would default to that except that as I said I want to avoid confusion between the school and the town. (or not so much a town, more an unincorporated area.)
Ot just a name someone pulled out of their ass, so to speak. You should hear what some of the schools around me are called.
oh yeah? what do they call them?

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
*The school could've gotten a significant donation from someone who either was named Harrogate or suggested the name for their own personal reasons (known or unknown). Glassboro State College was renamed Rowan College (then University) due to such a donation.

*It was named or renamed Harrogate after a famous person/graduate. Think of all the streets, schools, and other public works named after John F./Robert Kennedy and/or Martin Luther King Jr.