How it was before the Information Age.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The world was a different place before we all had so much information available right at our fingertips.

In other words, people really believed some funny things back then. I guess that would be before the early 90's or so.

Anybody have examples to share? ;o)

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Elementary school, late 60's/early 70's, the big thing started about other cultures. So we'd be shown films about the lives of those in faraway places. We would all be falling out of our chairs. We thought it was the funniest thing imaginable. Heck, we even howled with laughter at the one about Paris. We were so unsophisticated, it was like we thought they were all acting quite strangely for our amusement or something.

Last edited:

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Politics. People's ideas of democracy in some countries have changed thanks to information. Information and technology led to the uprising which swept North Africa and Syria recently.

Shopping. People have access to so much information that they now research everything from cars to cell phones, books and holidays before making a purchase.

I'll post again when i think of something else. Off to watch House on DVD :)

Purple Rose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
We believed and trusted our doctors and teachers. Most of us didn't even think to question them.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely, Purple.

Did anybody else's mom teach them to line the whole ring lid thing of a public toilet with toilet paper? I think they thought you could catch VD from the toilet seat. ;)

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Luxury goods were expensive, neccesities were cheap. The market realized that this was a mistake - and greater wealth at the top could be created by reversing this price strategy.

Now food, shelter and energy cost much more of the average person's wage but stereos, televisions and 'toys' cost much less.

Purple Rose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Did anybody else's mom teach them to line the whole ring lid thing of a public toilet with toilet paper? I think they thought you could catch VD from the toilet seat. ;)

Can't you, along with herpes? But seriously, I think even some teachers said that.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was not allowed to drink the water in other states (USA). Really.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I guess this comes from misconceptions (?), home health treatments, as I recall, were unnecessarily harsh. Baby teeth pulled out instead of just left to fall out on their own. Drinking baking soda and water so you'd throw up immediately when you had nausea. That horrible red burning stuff put on cuts. OUCH!

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
You just made me feel really old. Thanks for that.

People actually knew the difference between news and opinion---between fact and spin. You could turn on the nightly news and trust that Walter Cronkite had done his homework and he was giving you the information in a straight forward manner. You didn't hear about sleaze in the nightly news--no Arnold's love child, Tiger's mistresses etc.

Students learned how to do real research, and the difference between fact and spin. You went to the library and let your fingers do the walking through the card catalogues. The cards were frayed from being thumbed through so many times. If the book you wanted wasn't in the library, you put your name on a waiting list and the librarian would call you when the book was returned.

If you grew up in a small town not near a large, like I did, you might only be exposed to homogenous people. There were no african american families within 50-75 miles. I didn't meet my first until after I graduated from college. There were no latinos. In my school, there was an asian girl, but she has been adopted by a white family. There was an Indian family, but they were very Americanized. A family from the middle east moved into the neighborhood. They weren't actually outcasts, but they weren't included. There was a show called Good Times, it was one, if not the first tv show centered around a black family, but they were poor and lived in the ghetto, perpetuating a stereotype. TV was very white. The Jeffersons was the next tv show, and the first that showed a successful black family as it's main characters , followed by the Cosby show. There were some black characters before the mid 70s, but not many.

I remember clearly the start of the AIDS epidemic--it was first thought to be a disease that only effected Haitians and gay men. Rock Hudson's death got people caring about AIDS, and it made people talk more openly about the disease. When Ryan White's story was made public, minds started to change and realize you could get AIDS from ways other than gay sex and being Haitian--blood transfusions and then we learned heterosexual sex could also spread the disease. Then a woman perpetrated a terrible story that she got AIDS from her dentist. She even testified before congress, claiming to be a virgin (and she never had a blood transfusion.) After her death it was discovered she lied and had gotten the disease from heterosexual sex.
Society didn't make celebrities out of idiots like that Snooky disaster.

On the negative side. There was 1 book about sexual abuse. One. I didn't even realize what was happening was sexual abuse, because I didn't have access to information. There was no where to go for help (not that I knew I needed it)--no good touch/bad touch. Rape victims were still often blamed for being attacked and date rape was unrecognized.

I knew NO ONE who was out of the closet. It wasn't safe, particularly in a small town. I never even knew girls could be gay until I was in Jr. High, I thought it was just for guys. I've heard that others from my school seemed to find each other easier than I did--but rarely anyone picks me up on their gaydar anyway.

There were only a handful of tv channels, ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS. I remember when cable was invented and HBO. Only rich people had cable.

The worst thing about the information age is what it's done to children, in my opinion. There was no such thing as video games, until I was in high school. Children played with each other. They ran outside, played kickball, freeze tag. Every minute of their day wasn't scheduled with activities. We learned to be creative. We learned to solve conflicts through talking them out, or getting mad and apologizing the next day. Children didn't have games that beeped and made noises and played themselves. Children actually played with their toys and developed their small and gross motor skills through natural play, not baby einstein.
We ate twinkies, white bread with butter, and big juicy steaks. Nobody worried about cholesterol, fat grams, or artery clogging foods. Being fat was our biggest food concern. Exercise? Nobody cared much, although when this new form of exercised called Aerobics came out, people were very excited.
Woman had real boobs. If they wanted bigger ones, they stuffed their bras with tissue.
Mothers looked like mothers, and not big sisters. You were embarrassed if your mother wore her housecoat to walk you to the bus stop, not because you could see her thong above her low cut jeans. Plastic surgery was reserved for the very rich.
You could smoke practically everywhere--the mall, school bathrooms (well you weren't allowed, but no one got in trouble for it). I wouldn't be surprised if some doctors' offices allowed smoking in their waiting rooms.

I think children were better off before the digital age--in terms of socialization, physical, emotional, and social development, and learning. There was far less ADHD, though each class had a handful of what was called Hyperactive children (mostly boys.) I firmly believe the increase is less about better diagnosis and more about better brain development and not frying the brain with the wrong type of activities that impede concentration.
Ways in which children are better off is that they have more resources if they have problems and they are more aware that they deserve to be treated with respect.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Luxury goods were expensive, neccesities were cheap. The market realized that this was a mistake - and greater wealth at the top could be created by reversing this price strategy.

Now food, shelter and energy cost much more of the average person's wage but stereos, televisions and 'toys' cost much less.

Or maybe they just took advantage of the fact that there were two incomes per house rather than one. :)

mgencleyn

Damned Butterfly
Registered
Reaction score
You just made me feel really old. Thanks for that.

Here's one for you.

I heard a woman on the radio talking about her dance class. She had some music that she wanted to use for her students. All she had on hand for that music was a record, so she brought that in and one of her girls said, "Wow! That is the biggest CD I've ever seen!"

annsquared

Hi.
Registered
Reaction score
Students learned how to do real research, and the difference between fact and spin. You went to the library and let your fingers do the walking through the card catalogues. The cards were frayed from being thumbed through so many times. If the book you wanted wasn't in the library, you put your name on a waiting list and the librarian would call you when the book was returned.

I

I was born at the end of '77, so I'd like to think I'm not very old. This reminded me of the day my dad came home with an entire set of encyclopedia's. My sisters and I flipped through them for hours, fascinated by all of the pictures and information. Many a day was spent on the section that showed pics of women's clothing in the Victorian era. We belted pillows to our butts so our dresses (blankets and sheets) would have bustles. :)

Such great memories...thanks for the reminder!

And........ /derail

newbaku

And then what happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely, Purple.

Putting down the paper shield on a public can? Yeah. Not because of VD, but because that's where the general public sits its ass.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Children played with each other. They ran outside, played kickball, freeze tag. Every minute of their day wasn't scheduled with activities. We learned to be creative.

I thought it was ludicrous that I had to schedule an appointment for my son to play with his friends. We just ran across the alley, through the back door, yelling a quick hi to their mom on our way up to their room. Rainy days we stayed there, sunny days we were right back outside. Tent houses made of blankets hung on the clothesline, mud pies, racing our bikes around the neighborhood, climbing trees...

Play dates. Still think it's ludicrous.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The world was a different place before we all had so much information available right at our fingertips.

In other words, people really believed some funny things back then. I guess that would be before the early 90's or so.

Anybody have examples to share? ;o)
People STILL believe a lot of weird stuff, in spite of the best efforts of those such as Roger Ebert:
http://www.panix.com/~tbetz/boulder.shtml

Yes, that was 15 years ago, in a monthly PRINT magazine (frankly I'm amazed there are still print magazines around) named "Yahoo! Internet Life." I've referenced that URL numerous times in my little effort to educated people online. And don't think email spam isn't the problem it once was. ISP's have several layers of filters, and that's the only reason you don't see a hell of a lot more of it than you do. The ones in your "spam folder" are only "probably but maybe not." I've found several legit emails in both my ISP's and Gmail's "spam" folders. The ISP has already filtered out ten spams for every email you get.

Speaking of print magazines, I need to find a library with a collection of Byte Magazine from the '70's and '80's (and many of us were "online" back then with BBS's and even Fidonet) so I can find that editorial about President Ford and those other awful golfers.

Perhaps the whole of the Net is a little smarter than in the '90's but I'm on a church-related email list where I still see people forward the "Let's do something about gas prices and show the oil companies who's boss by not buying gas on a certain day" sorts of chain emails.

It's a pity, really. I saw my first chain letter (neatly typed out! People were SERIOUS about silly things like formatting back then) at age 15 (circa 1973), about how you send a dollar to each of these four addresses, forward the letter to a few people with your address replacing the oldest, and within a year you'll receive thousands of dollars. I wasn't sure what it was, but it didn't pass the 'smell test' for me. Modern technology hasn't so much allowed or perpetrated new scams as much as just being a vector for many of the same old scams.

Ray Kurzweil (whose eye is shown in my avatar) has some interesting things to say about the Information Age. One is that half the farmers in China have access to more information now at their fingertips (through their smartphones) than the President of the United States did 15 years ago.

I'm wondering how affordable TiVos (generically "DVRs")and their use of hundred-gigabyte hard drives are the result of "reversing the price strategy."

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Long distance phone calls! It used to be a big deal to call someone in another state -- you were talking to someone who was actually in a different time zone! While it was morning where you were, it might be afternoon where they were! Imagine that! Plus, it was really expensive so you did it infrequently, not just to chat whenever you felt like it.

And international calls! Wow. I once called my Japanese pen pal (with permission from my parents) and that almost had the feel of a radio broadcast from ground control to astronauts in space.

Julie Reilly

Registered
Reaction score
I was born in 1972. As a child we only had two hours of children's TV which we were allowed to watch - from 3.30 after school to 5.30. Then we had tea and then we had to do our homework.

We didn't have computers or a video player at that time and for recreation I used to play out, read books and go roller-skating.

When I was 10 we got a computer - a BBC B and there were a few games that we used to play - I got quite good at Arcadians. I also taught myself some basic BASIC from my sister's O-level Computer Studies book and used to make little programs for my own amusement. At Christmas I programmed the computer to play carols in 3-part harmony.

When I was older, studying for GCSEs, A-levels, and even at degree level (1994-5) any research had to be done from books - I did lots of revision in our local library. Essays had to be written by hand at school, and typed at Uni. There were computers at Uni, although there was no internet - they were used pretty much as word processors for typing essays on. We did have a Music computer at school - an ATARI which ran a Music program called Notator - the forerunner of the likes of Finale and Sibelius. The Music department at Uni had those too, so all my Music work was printed. I had a Sharp word processor which was one step up from an electric typewriter. It had a screen about two inches high but you could save your work on a floppy disc and it had a spreadsheet as well. I used to make some money typing up other students' essays for them.

I remember at Uni being shown this device which was called a "digital camera" which cost about £1000. We were told that, as the pictures were so big, it would only take a few pictures to fill the computer's memory entirely so they would never really be viable.

I know it's a cliche, but kids today don't know how easy they have it - with information so easily available. It does make teaching much easier though - I know when I am supply teaching, having web sites such as primaryresources.co.uk and interactive online activies makes my job so much easier.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Computer: We had one of the first personal computers that came out -- an H89 Heathkit my father built. It had a drive for 5 1/4 disks, and you needed to put a disk in to have it boot up. Screen was in black and white, and it was one piece. http://oldcomputers.net/heathkit-h89.html

I started writing on a manual typewriter, which still existed then, and graduated to a electric typewriter. I eventually got a Comodore 64. I still remember when I had just finished writing something, tried to save it, and the computer aborted the file because it was too big (yes! No safeguards. I lost the entire file!). Word didn't exist then -- we had WordStar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordStar

We got Windows 3.1 when I was in the Army. It was called that because it had, literally windows. You could open them and get to program and close them when you didn't need it. I remember there was a lieutenant we never let near the computers because he would rearrange all the windows the way he thought they were supposed to be. I also remember how annoying it was switching between the programs -- there was no standardization whatsoever. We still used a lot of keyboard shortcuts, and you were guaranteed that Save was Ctrl+S on one program, Alt-S on another, and Shift Control S on a third.

Presentations were done with a Corel program (name eludes me now). We printed them in black and white and copied them onto transparencies. Then the transparencies were shown to the battalion commander or the group commander. Once Microsoft came out with PowerPoint, we switched to that. It was pretty primative. We always had a problem with the copier and transparencies -- it would get hot, then melt the transparencies, and jam. Usually some of them ended up being slightly melted. It was such a labor intensive process creating the slides. We thought it was a horror when the battalion changed the presentation two weeks before the meeting. Now people make changes to their presentations ten minutes before the meeting.

People also didn't understand personal identification like what's being stolen in idenity theft. SSNs were routinely tossed around like they weren't important. AAFES required us to write our SSN on our checks. I'd see the batallion commander's SSN posted on the wall as part of a rating list. As late as 2000, I got into a dispute at my National Guard unit. They had a sign in roster. All they needed was the names, and they asked for the full SSN--at that time, it was becoming a big deal. And people were still behind the times with it!

Desert Storm: I was deployed to the Persian Gulf for the first war. Our only contact with the outside world was either mail or getting to a pay phone when we could. My father had to get a Red Cross message to me, and I only found out about because I ran across a pay phone and called. We'd moved eight times and no one could find us. The army had to go on a hunt for the Red Cross message, and that took a couple of days.

lachel

Registered
Reaction score
I think misinformation spreads a lot faster now than it did back in the pre-internet days. People have always believed a lot of stupid stuff, but at least back then you had to pay for stamps and envelopes to mail chain letters.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
We didn't have cable until 1990 - I swear my house was the last in the free world to not have cable. I had channel 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12/13 (they were pretty much the same channel) and if the weather was clear and the antenna worked, we'd get UHF channel 29.

There was one pharmacy that delivered, and it was the one that you could count on to be open on holidays and when you called the pediatrician in the middle of the night for your baby's croup (as my mom learned), the doctor could always get this same pharmacy on call and they'd deliver at any hour. Nothing was open past 9, never mind being open 24/7 like everything seems to be now.

Kids were allowed to work out their differences, even if it meant the occasion fist-fight. We played kill the guy with the ball, tackle football w/out ANY protective equipment, hide and seek at night, and we owned the neighborhood. We ate dinner every night as a family, and fast food was a treat we had only once in a great while.

When space shuttle Columbia was launched for the first time, my 2nd grade teacher (who my daughter had last year for 3rd grade :)) brought in a television so we could watch it. She also brought in a tv so we could watch it land.

I remember Howard Cosell announcing John Lennon's death during Monday Night Football on Dec. 8, 1980. I was home sick when the news broke in to announce Ronald Reagan had been shot.

I was a freshman in high school when Challenger exploded. We all crammed into the library to watch the news coverage and had a moment of silence the next day in honor of the Challenger 7. Chernobyl seemed like a universe away because the world was so much bigger a place back then.

We used to tape songs off the radio and record movies off tv onto videotape. If the antenna got moved, someone had to go up into the attic (ours was indoor), someone stood on the attic stairs, someone stood on the stairs leading to the first floor, and someone stood right in front of the tv, shouting whether the picture cleared or not. Then the message was relayed up all the stairs. When the picture was perfect, the person in front of the tv would scream, "HOLD IT!".

Once a movie was out of the theaters, you had to wait forever for it to come on tv. If I remember, it took at least a year, usually much longer. Miniseries were a big thing on television.

The only time we came home was to eat and sleep, especially in the summer. We were allowed to be kids. I miss those days...

Last edited:

sonyablue

Registered
Reaction score
Website
unusualincident.wordpress.com
Remember when people got famous for actually doing something like acting or modeling or being an athlete rather than getting famous just for being famous?

I still have no idea why the Kardashians are famous.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There were only a handful of tv channels, ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS. I remember when cable was invented and HBO. Only rich people had cable.
We weren't rich by a long shot but we were literally (and I do mean literally in the literal sense) the first house on the block to get cable, about 1972.
Once a movie was out of the theaters, you had to wait forever for it to come on tv. If I remember, it took at least a year, usually much longer. Miniseries were a big thing on television.
For the longest time, the progression was:
1) first-run theater
2) drive-in theater
3) network TV premiere

Then it became
1) first-run theater
2) drive-in theater
3) cable TV premiere on HBO or Showtime
4) network TV premiere

Then it became (thank God for copy-'n'-paste!)
1) first-run theater release
2) drive-in theater release
2) cable TV premiere on HBO or Showtime
3) network TV premiere
4) home video release

Now?
1) first-run theater release
TIE:
2) pirated home video release
2) pay-per-view release on cable
2) home video release
3) network TV premiere
4) cable network channel premiere
5) movie channel premiere
6) home video re-release for "special edition" release just in time for Holiday Gift-Giving Season[sup]tm[/sup]
7) pr0n parody

Last edited:

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
In the 80's, before the Challenger explosion, you could call a phone number and listen in to the conversations between Houston and the shuttle. It cost like .50 a minute, but it was amazingly cool.

It was impossible to do research. A book had to be ordered from another library if it wasn't in yours and it took weeks to get there.

We actually used the mail to communicate with family and friends.

Plane tickets had to be purchased from a travel agent or the airline itself. A pain. On the other hand, you could just show up at the airport and fly stand-by for half-price if there were seats on the flight (good luck getting back home if they were all full from the other end)

It was like a miracle when the internet became capable of pictures, forget video. The first times I used the internet, it took forever to open a single page, like 3 minutes, and it was only simple text with bad formatting. There was no Google. I was introduced to search engines by a nerd in the campus 'hub'...that was a miracle, too. Imagine, finding information about just about anything from one place! But looking back there was almost nothing out there. The screen was dark, with green lettering, and a flashing square cursor, iirc. They crashed ALL the time. Constant loss of data. Oh, and you do know about floppy disks, right? They were actually floppy and had to be kept in these little paper envelopes to protect them.

Life is both better, and worse.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I recall downloading pics at 1200 and 2400 baud from BBS's. I forget what those pics were...