Agent declines but suggests rewrite: what to do

Excidio

Registered
Reaction score
For the last six months or so, I have been querying on my first (finished) novel. Going into this process, I knew it was a long shot as I wrote something that while good is too darn long.

So, after about 30 queries, I've had one agent who requested a full. After reading it they declined me BUT enclosed their reader's report in the email and said that if I made the changes which their reader suggested they would be interested in looking at it again.

The report included some nice things, some suggested changes that make sense to me, and a few things which smart a little and which I would have to take care in addressing lest I destroy what I like about the book. I think that doing a rewrite will take me 6 months (that whole too darn long thing...), so I am wondering what the best course of action is.

I guess it comes down to this: does it sound like I am close, or would 6 months be better spent working on my next one?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The agent wouldn't have invited you to resubmit if she didn't really want you to. So yes, I'd say you were close. Perhaps.

The problem is that you disagree with some of the suggested revisions. If you don't make those revisions then you're not going to be close at all--unless you have good reasons for not making them (and no, saying they'll "destroy what I like about the book" isn't a good reason here, I'm afraid). If you can come up with alternative revision suggestions which also address the agent's concerns then you might find yourself on the right track.

I think it all comes down to how resistant you are to those suggested revisions: can you see why they were suggested? what do you think about the weaknesses the agent pointed out? how would you resolve them?

As for whether those six months would be better spent writing another, better book: only you can decide. But don't be tempted to revise this first book endlessly in hope of getting it published: that way madness lies.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I was/am in a similar position, only it wasn't a reject, it was a "I'll work with you as if you were a client, if I love the revision you're in." The agent's revision notes made TOTAL sense to me and enhanced everything I loved about the book. She totally got it. In this case, it was 100% worth it to me to revise and resubmit, because it made my book an even better version of what it was.

My advice? Try out some of the revision suggestions. Keep a file of the manuscript as it is right now in case you want to go back to it. If you really like where the revision is headed, there's your answer.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Wow, lucky you Excidio. Oh yes, and Becca too! I certaionly would go for it! Good luck :)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I agree with Old Hack's advice. Look at the revision suggestions and decide if they're best for the book. If you truly, truly disagree with the suggestions, then don't make all of them. You can still revise the book based on what you agree with. Who knows? Maybe as you revise, you'll see a way to repair what the agent thought was wrong, but in a way that you agree with.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto Old Hack and Chaos Titan.

COchick

in a holding pattern
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leighgrayson.blogspot.com
Ditto Old Hack and Chaos Titan.

Ditto, ditto.

Make changes you agree with. Even if someone (not only my agent, but others) have suggested things, I don't always go with the changes. I'll change it in a different way that makes sense for me, and in a roundabout way it makes everyone happy.

But it sounds like you might be close! Good luck!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
So, after about 30 queries, I've had one agent who requested a full. After reading it they declined me BUT enclosed their reader's report in the email and said that if I made the changes which their reader suggested they would be interested in looking at it again.

The report included some nice things, some suggested changes that make sense to me, and a few things which smart a little and which I would have to take care in addressing lest I destroy what I like about the book. I think that doing a rewrite will take me 6 months (that whole too darn long thing...), so I am wondering what the best course of action is.

What a great compliment! Congratulations!

That said, how do you feel about the changes? Do you want to make them and resubmit? If yes, then do it. If not, keep submitting. 30 queries is nothing. There are authors at this site who were published after a whole lot more queries than 30.

I would say that should you decided to make changes, you are not bound to just submit to that one agent. You can continue submitting until you make some kind of agreement to not submit further (an exclusive or something along that line) or you accept an offer from an agent.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
All great advice above, so I have nothing new to suggest, but I will say that revision suggestions always sound like they are going to mess with your vision of your book, whether they are suggested by a beta, an agent, or a CP. If I were in your situation, I'd "try on" the revisions and see where they take you. Sometimes you don't know how revisions are going to work until you actually implement them (see ChaosTitan's advice).

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, you're close. Why start over with nothing when you've got something on the line with this one?

After six months and thirty queries, honestly, I'd make all the changes they suggested, to the letter, too.

JMHO and good luck!

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I didn't make all of the revisions requested for my r&r. I made the ones I was comfortable with, then wrote back explaining about the ones I didn't agree with. The agent was actually very understanding and said that he preferred someone who didn't just blindly take his advice, so it's not necessarily a kiss of death not to do it.

The biggest problem I could see is if their main issues were the ones that you aren't comfortable changing. Still, it's a pretty big thing. I'd agree that the best thing is to make those changes you agree with and then send it back. If they don't feel that it's good enough, that's fine, but it might be that the manuscript is improved enough that they're willing to take you on. Just save it to a new file so that you have both versions if you aren't happy with it, ne?

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
You didn't get a rejection, you got a revise-and-resubmit. That is a step below acceptance, but a step above rejection-with-feedback. And miles above rejection. And a different galaxy from *crickets*.

Congratulations :)

Ray H

Registered
Reaction score
You didn't get a rejection, you got a revise-and-resubmit. That is a step below acceptance, but a step above rejection-with-feedback. And miles above rejection. And a different galaxy from *crickets*.

Congratulations :)

I want to go to that *crickets* galaxy. Does the interstate lead that way? Or is there a door I need to open?

Great question and great advice. Although I'm not ready to submit to agents, I have found this thread very informative. Thank you all.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps break this exercise out into three steps:
1) Make the revisions you agree with.
2) Create a new 'baseline' and start re-querying (other agents) based on that version
3) Make a new/special version for this agent with the changes you're not thrilled about.

Assuming it's a legit agent, though, you just received a pot o' gold in terms of feedback. Congrats!

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly its up to you...I've gotten an agent by revising and resubmitting and I also have been told- this is not exactly right for me- even with requested changes.
I would say if you know its too long- you should edit it- before querying additional agents.

DennyCrane

Dude. Seriously.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkrock.com
Just to echo what everyone else has said, agents typically don't do this sort of thing unless you are on the doorstep. My R&R led to representation. Some agents invite a R&R to see how the author deals with edits, which you can imagine is a big part of the author's package eventually sold to editors.

But a word of CAUTION: Do not rush. Take your time and turn in something stellar. Your every instinct will tell you to get it quickly to the agent; to carry this momentum. Ignore them and take as long as you need to put forth your best work. It will pay off in the end.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
I want to go to that *crickets* galaxy. Does the interstate lead that way? Or is there a door I need to open?

Great question and great advice. Although I'm not ready to submit to agents, I have found this thread very informative. Thank you all.

Bolding mine. Glutton for punishment, aye? hahaha. :)

OP: Ditto what everyone else said. And congrats, because any agent who will make suggestions is an agent whose interest was piqued--take your time with those edits and resubmit. And if it's not too much, start on something else while you're at it.

Excidio

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses! They have made really encouraging reading, and as I have been mulling this over I've started to see possibilities opening up with the changes I'd need to make.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've started to see possibilities opening up with the changes I'd need to make.

Ah haa!

Possibilities opening up?

Sounds exciting! Not only do you not have to make absolutely every change suggested by the agent, you don't have to stop at just those changes.

MikeGrant

Registered
Reaction score
To answer your question, you may not be that close with only 1 full request after 30 queries (though, ya know, agent number 31 could instantly love it to death and offer. That's how this can work!). But if you believe in the novel, I'd definitely consider the revisions and think about another pass. Obviously only incorporate the changes which you think will improve the book, though!

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
  1. Make the changes with which you agree.
  2. Consider the ones with which you disagree and try to understand why the agent wanted them made. Ask if you don't understand. Sometimes a change elsewhere will satisfactorily address the objection.
  3. Do not ignore any of the suggested changes.
  4. Make your manuscript shorter by doing a critical edit, removing whatever words, phrases, scenes, chapters, are unneccessary.
Too often we consider such suggestions as if someone wants to paint a mustache on our Mona Lisa. Don't do that. The agent wants a masterpiece, too. The agent's primary concern is that you submit the best manuscript possible, both artistically and commercially. If you are uncooperative, the agent will find other things to do.