Different genres? (asking for advice)

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I need some advice from a fresh mind.
The situation goes like this: I wrote some shorter stuff that was more or less paranormal romance. It was e-published. Then after a break I wrote an urban fantasy novel, a stand alone one. Querying it now. The response is modest, and while my writing itself seems to be favored, the plot doesn’t excite people all that much. One agent told me the lack of series potential was a downside, too. In short, the typical reaction seems to be “I like your sample chapters, but the idea isn’t for me, and no series = tough sell.” Well, judging from the way about 99% of urban fantasy I’m reading seems to be open-end series…

But there is something else, on the creative side. Now I’m totally into speculative YA, so much I don’t even feel like returning to my adult projects. I might do it one day, but right now I’m most excited about YA, both as a writer and as a reader. And when I was researching agents, I saw so many wonderful agents who only handle YA.

So now I’m thinking, maybe I should concentrate my efforts on my current projects instead, not limiting myself to agents who represent both adult and YA since I only have this one adult novel (and maybe a novella) and it’s not likely I’ll write much more of them in the next few years.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Go with whatever effort produces the most pages, whatever genre keeps you in your chair typing or writing. Writers produce the best stuff when they are writing for themselves, not for agents or editors or even the audience.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If you have another source of income, what Cate said. If not, you may have to bite the bullet and work on something that doesn't excite you as much until you don't have to worry about selling that next book.

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
When I started writing I decided on Romance because I thought it was an easy way to get published. I was wrong. I have 3 unpublished manuscripts to prove it.

After many years of rejections, a writer friend said write what you love to read. I'm now a mystery writer and it feels perfect.

But I beat the romance market like a dead horse before I gave up on it. If your book is still out on the query-go-round, how will you feel about writing in that genre if it gets picked up? Are you sure you're not just discouraged by the rejections you've received?

Rejection does messy things to the writer brain. Not saying no, don't jump genres. Just saying it might be premature.

Rebound genre? Is there such a thing?