PDA

View Full Version : Attack the Block

Zoombie
05-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Chavs V Aliens?

More likely than you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD0gm7dHKKc

(If these people are not chavs, I apologize, I don't actually quite know what a chav is. I could google it, BUT I'M LAZY!)

Also, this movie looks amazing and anything by the peeps who made Shaun of the Dead is guaranteed to be good.

seun
05-20-2011, 01:34 PM
From what I've seen of this, chavs is right. And it's not really from the people who made Shaun. It stars Nick Frost and is executive produced by a couple of the people behind Shaun. Still looks good, though.

katiemac
05-20-2011, 07:51 PM
There will be free screenings of this film in 25 cities on May 25, and I highly recommend checking them out.

Kitty Pryde
05-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Oh man, I so want to see this! The trailer looked awesome and hilarious. I was reading about it earlier this spring when they were talking about whether the movie needs subtitles for idiot americans, or whether americans would even be willing to watch the movie because it doesn't star attractive chiseled american white men/will smith as heroes. Fingers crossed that the US can make it happen :)

There seems to be a sort of a weird thing wherein most Americans have the impression that all people in England are posh and have fancy teatimes constantly and talk like Jude Law, except for a precious few streetwise cockneys that love rhyming slang. If you polled us, most Americans would not have a clue what "council house" means.

Zoombie
05-20-2011, 10:22 PM
I love the line "TOO MUCH MADNESS FOR ONE TEXT!"

zahra
05-23-2011, 01:00 AM
I'd like to see this. It sounds really good fun. My sister's spitting mad 'cos she had this very idea, only it was 'supernatural serial killer vs council flat thugs'. It was only a matter of time, I suppose!

Victoria
05-23-2011, 07:27 AM
Okay, peeps, educate me. What is a chav?

Zoombie
05-23-2011, 08:31 AM
I haven't actually been to English Land, but I think they're inner city hooligans.

LOG
05-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Okay, peeps, educate me. What is a chav?

You must journey to the great teacher of wikimedia to find the answer: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Chav

Victoria
05-23-2011, 06:35 PM
You must journey to the great teacher of wikimedia to find the answer: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Chav

I could probably do that with every question I have for AW, but then what purpose would AW serve? Besides, I'm lazy.

zahra
05-23-2011, 08:22 PM
OK, I'll answer. Chavs are not necessarily urban, but certainly ill-mannered, ill-educated, working-class and aggressive. They don't have to be poor - Cheryl Cole springs to mind - but if they have money - and even if they don't - they tend to spend it on the flashy and immediate.

'Poor white trash' about sums it up, I suppose, though they don't have to be white.

I think the term 'chav' is from a gypsy traveller word, if I remember correctly.

If you get a burst of energy, Victoria, youtube Little Britain character 'Vicky Pollard', and you'll get the idea.

Parametric
05-24-2011, 02:25 AM
I am totally seeing this film tomorrow.

Zoombie
05-24-2011, 02:29 AM
I am totally jealous of you :P

Polenth
05-24-2011, 02:58 AM

The Wikipedia article offers a more elaborate description, but I've been called a chav, and the only part of that I meet is living on a council estate. It also gets applied to people who used to live on council estates, but managed to escape. It's the council estate part that matters to people, not the clothing, behaviour or anything else attributed to it.

It feeds into the old classism idea that poor people are lesser and can never improve themselves. I've only had people call me that when they want to act as though they're superior to me. So why people think it's a 'cute' term, I've no idea.

Victoria
05-24-2011, 03:55 AM
Ah, I see. I grew up in a trailer park just outside the city limits called Crescent Meadows. Of course, the locals dubbed it Crescent Ghettos, and by the time my mom got out of there, it was pretty bad. She owned her home and the lot, so she was rather high in the status department. I must admit, I was the princess of the park, and it wasn't until about second grade that I realized my home was a joke, something to be ridiculed. So, I did what any princess would do. I kicked major ass. So it began, the creation of the Reject Brigade with me at the helm. We were an odd bunch consisting of those who were unwelcome elsewhere, the kids who didn't fit in. Those were the best friends I've ever had, and I still keep in touch with them. I'm proud of my poor white trailer trash beginning. It's part of who I am, and I wouldn't change it.

ALLWritety
05-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Howdy

I have seen the film and I think it is really good and has some funny bits.

One bit i really liked coz i'm a puppeteer is when one of them says some thing like
"Oh what a great puppet you've made".

I also work with a number of youths and quite a few of them are excatly like the movie kids and I am sure they too would take on the aliens just for the fun of it.

It's not just the Americans that can Kick Alien Ass!

Kevvers

Parametric
05-25-2011, 12:28 AM
So I really liked this film, and I'm glad Zoom pointed me at it. It's pretty violent, but with plenty of humour - lots of horrified laughter and just plain laughter in the audience during today's screening. It paints a fairly dark picture of life in the block, but at heart it's a redemption story. Thought the dialect was well done. Also, that is one badass soundtrack.

zahra
05-25-2011, 01:02 AM
The Wikipedia article offers a more elaborate description, but I've been called a chav, and the only part of that I meet is living on a council estate. It also gets applied to people who used to live on council estates, but managed to escape. It's the council estate part that matters to people, not the clothing, behaviour or anything else attributed to it.

It feeds into the old classism idea that poor people are lesser and can never improve themselves. I've only had people call me that when they want to act as though they're superior to me. So why people think it's a 'cute' term, I've no idea.

I don't think it's true about the main definition that people care about being the council estate part. All the time, I hear people being called 'chavs' by others who can have no idea where they live, but base their opinion on their behaviour, dress and taste.

Also, it's not about being poor. Somebody who is poor but well-mannered and dressed without the obligatory gold chains, etc, is really not going to be called a chav. I don't think the 'genteel poor' have completely disappeared yet.

I went to school with kids too poor to have holidays and new clothes, but whose parents valued education and good behaviour.

Kids who would definitely tempt the 'chav' label would be wearing flashy clothes and going to Spain every year instead of to a good school, parents deep in debt because of that lifestyle - the value of the immediate and visible.

mirandashell
05-25-2011, 01:27 AM
For me, a chav is someone who can't afford decent food but will afford a 50 inch HD TV on the never-never.

katiemac
05-25-2011, 06:22 AM
So I really liked this film, and I'm glad Zoom pointed me at it. It's pretty violent, but with plenty of humour - lots of horrified laughter and just plain laughter in the audience during today's screening. It paints a fairly dark picture of life in the block, but at heart it's a redemption story. Thought the dialect was well done. Also, that is one badass soundtrack.

Love the soundtrack.

seun
05-25-2011, 01:49 PM
If you get a burst of energy, Victoria, youtube Little Britain character 'Vicky Pollard', and you'll get the idea.

Or Catherine Tate's Lauren. Bovvered.

I don't think it's true about the main definition that people care about being the council estate part. All the time, I hear people being called 'chavs' by others who can have no idea where they live, but base their opinion on their behaviour, dress and taste.

Also, it's not about being poor. Somebody who is poor but well-mannered and dressed without the obligatory gold chains, etc, is really not going to be called a chav. I don't think the 'genteel poor' have completely disappeared yet.

Kids who would definitely tempt the 'chav' label would be wearing flashy clothes and going to Spain every year instead of to a good school, parents deep in debt because of that lifestyle - the value of the immediate and visible.

Exactly - especially the bolded line.

zahra
05-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Or the uber-chav of the moment, the character Kelly from 'Misfits', played brilliantly by Lauren Socha.

I was going to see this film today, but life interrupted.

Incidentally, it's scripted by a client of the agent I bothered with my short screenplay a couple of years ago - the agent was the one who told me about the film. Nice guy. Hope the film does really well.

seun
09-20-2011, 01:43 PM
I watched this last night - extremely disappointed, sadly. I didn't find it funny enough to class it as a comedy and not played straight enough to take it seriously. Plus I couldn't help but think Nick Frost was in it purely to give it some link to Shaun. He wasn't given enough to do meaning his role could have been played by anybody.