Registered
Reaction score

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
http://singularityhub.com/2011/05/19/man-chooses-to-cut-off-his-hand-–-and-get-a-bionic-one-video/

We all remember when Luke Skywalker got his hand cut off! It was the high point of the best movie in one of the world's greatest science fantasy epics ever.

We all remember how Luke got a replacement hand pretty damn quick that is just about as good as the original.

Well, we're one step closer.

Just watch the video in this article, you will be AMAZED.

Screw the hand. I want a lightsaber!!!!!!
Jedi_Emoticon
jedi.gif

aSW_YodaSaberAni.gif

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
I want a lightsaber with Count Dooku's hilt. *grool* It's just so pimp :D

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to just say it: Obi-Wan was full of shit. Light sabers are as brutal and vicious as a blaster (I mean, what's worse, horrible lacerations and second/third degree burns...or horrible lacerations and second/third degree burns AND dismemberment), and UNLIKE a blaster, they require intense training and dedication to use well.

That's NOT good.

One of the reasons the USA was able to break free of the British Empire was due to the fact that we had the weapons and ability to use them. Guns are, to be frank, easier to train.

It takes generations to whip up a good longbowman, and a lifetime to make a really good swordsman. That's part of why knights were at the top of the heap for so long. And because they could thrash the pants off anyone who rose up against them, they stayed on top of the heap.

It wasn't until the pike and crossbow kicked off the infantry revolution and the gun cemented it that things started to change for the freer in Europe. Obviously, there were other facets (such as the increase of commerce and the growth of the 'merchant' class, as well as general educations levels improving), but ignoring the effect of weapons that can be used by COMMON PEOPLE rather than the elite is just...stupid.

Lightsabers are just an artifact of this paradigm.

Give me a blaster any day.

And more importantly, THE HAND IS WHAT WAS IMPORTANT!

Jesus, we're only looking at a significant step towards full functionality for people who until VERY recently were looking forward to a lifetime of USING A HOOK!

Heck, it's only a matter of time before our 'fake' hands are stronger than biological ones!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Can I haz purple lightsaber, pweeze? :D

Though, that hand is pretty awesome. Wonder if you can have gun attachments - oooh, or a saw like Ash in Evil Dead 2!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
It wasn't until the pike and crossbow kicked off the infantry revolution and the gun cemented it that things started to change for the freer in Europe. Obviously, there were other facets (such as the increase of commerce and the growth of the 'merchant' class, as well as general educations levels improving), but ignoring the effect of weapons that can be used by COMMON PEOPLE rather than the elite is just...stupid.
Only reason Napoleon was successful was because he was the only one using cannons. And then everyone caught in and he was kinda screwed.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Interestingly, I once heard that while the British were getting really screwed over on the ground, Nealson started hunting around to see if he could find any longbow men, as the longbow would be ludicrously effective against "modern" infantry, as they were in tight formation.

Of course, something else that would be effective against "modern" infantry.

Dragons.

Which were just as likely as fielding enough longbow men in time to change the course of the war. As my history professor put it: "English Longbow men were FREAKING MUTANTS."

Apparently their right arms tended to be bigger than the left, and they had bone spurs on their wrists from firing that honking bow since they were old enough to pull the damn thing.

So, English Army = Original X-Men? YOU DECIDE!

...we're getting off track.

THAT HAND IS SO FUCKING COOL!

HE CAN TIE HIS SHOES!

That's better than I can do!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Only reason Napoleon was successful was because he was the only one using cannons. And then everyone caught in and he was kinda screwed.

Only reason Anonymous was successful was because they were the only ones using Low Orbit Ion Cannons.* Once everyone else catches on, the world is kinda screwed.

*This is false; many of their most successful and infamous hacks had nothing to do with these crowdsourced denial-of-service attacks.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take an Autobot.

And Zoombie, lightsabers are much more civilized than blasters. Blasters cause random damage and hit unintended targets. Lightsabers are precise and reduce the risk of innocent bystanders being injured.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Nice hand. Prosthetics with myoelectric sensors have been around since the 1970s, but not with that degree of versatility and control.

One neat thing that hand can do that you can't do with your biological hand: rotate through multiples of 360 degrees.

In the Family Guy parody of The Empire Strikes Back (called "Something Something Something Dark Side"), the technician fitting Luke's bionic hand tells him, "Practice on a hot dog first, or you might rip your dick off."

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when it's immediate predecessor was rolled out about 5 years ago. Nice to see people actually receiving them.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Way cool. I wonder if it improved his golf grip.
Looking ahead, will professional sports allow this technology? Could scientists design a hand to throw an un-hitable knuckleball or curveball? Or a quarterback who could throw a perfect 80 yard spiral?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Or a quarterback who could throw a perfect 80 yard spiral?

Quarterbacks tend to get tackled. A lot. No one is going to endanger a piece of equipment as expensive and crucial as a bionic arm for the sake of a sport. At least not in this decade.

Also, consider the non-bionics doing the tackling. Would tackling a bionic-armed man the wrong way be dangerous?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
In the immortal words of Lord Vetinari: What would you rather have at your side? A man with a light saber and a bionic hand, or a man that can buy a thousand men with light sabers and bionic hands? (*)

(*) Okay, okay - I'm adapting the paraphrased (from memory) quote to suit the occassion