• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

i've never had writer's block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Registered
Reaction score
if i have nothing to write, then i shouldn't write.

i only write because i need to birth an idea. the writing pours out of me too fast.

i've never understood the writer's block concept.

as a matter of fact, i think there are way too many books being written-- mostly because people don't have anything to say.

just being honest. maybe you folks can explain if i'm not understanding writer's block.

but like i said, i've written for years, and never once couldn't i write.

there is a, settling in period where i need time to get in the groove, but that's different.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Blue, I can relate to what you're saying. I've never had writer's block either and I've been at it for 15+ years. In fact, I tend to have an overactive writer's brain and even think of things when I'm sleeping. If I'm fortunate, I can remember it and write it down when I wake up. It's mostly poems, puns, jokes, things like that. No big earth-shattering ideas.:)

Reaction score
I've heard it said writer's block doesn't exist if you know what you should be writing. That's not to say you need to outline, but at least have a fair idea. Can't say it's something I've ever experienced myself, either.

Self discipline, or a lack thereof, now that's a different matter...

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
I've never had Writer's Block either. Though there has been only a time or two that I could not figure out how to start an article....but I just went on head and wrote it and as I write the story, the lead seems to pop up and I can come back and put it in first and fix the story from there. :)

Reaction score
Yep, it's the start that's the hardest part. After that it flows. When I allow it too. BIC after all!

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
Dream Write

I always dream my fiction stories - does anyone else? call it 'Channeling' or whatever, but it works. Then I fort up in my office and come out only for the bathroom, and not much else, until the first draft is done in longhand. My wife keeps the world away when I am 'out there', bless her heart.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I recently sat in on a talk given by a comicbook writer. It was interesting on many levels, but when he opened up his talk to questions, he offered to answer a few FAQs first. One was:
"What do you do when you get writer's block?"
His reply:
"I write for a living, I can't afford writer's block."​
I have stories to tell and characters to let loose on the world. That said, they don't NEED me, they simply let me record their lives.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I get it almost daily, it's called children.

"Mommy, I need a drink of water."
"Mommy, can you fix the movie?"
"Mommy, I want a hug."
"Mommy, can I play on your computer, you don't do anything fun on it."

...yeah...

Flolita

If I can't handle people, I shouldn't go outside my house.

But I go out in public everyday. I look at people, and they look at me. It's never been a problem...why should it be?

I've never had a problem with crowds, so I think agoraphobia is just a lack of discipline or just an excuse not to take a shower or comb your hair or go get the paper.

Just being honest here, Blue, maybe someone could explain how something I don't have could exist for anyone else.

Any takers?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't personally had it, but I do know people who do have it. Don't knock what you don't know.

For some they are simply hiding, others it is a real phobia, like claustrophobia coupled with panick attacks and worse.

This goes for the writers block as well, sometimes it's outside factors, sometimes it's inner factors like depression, other times it's story issues that need to be resolved before moving on. Everyone is different and unique, just because you haven't had it does not prove its nonexistence.

That's like saying, "I've never been depressed so it doesn't exist for me, therefore it doesn't exist for anyone in the world."

It's also like saying that because you haven't personally seen Turkey, lived in Turkey, or met anyone from Turkey then it must not exist because it hasn't personally effected you.

Flolita said:
If I can't handle people, I shouldn't go outside my house.

But I go out in public everyday. I look at people, and they look at me. It's never been a problem...why should it be?

I've never had a problem with crowds, so I think agoraphobia is just a lack of discipline or just an excuse not to take a shower or comb your hair or go get the paper.

Just being honest here, Blue, maybe someone could explain how something I don't have could exist for anyone else.

Any takers?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.