PDA

View Full Version : Help me name my puppy!

Yasaibatake
05-19-2011, 05:18 PM
That's right, I'm a new mommy! :D

Yesterday I adopted the world's cutest Welsh Corgi puppy. Hopefully my picture link will work: picture of my baby! (https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=86e0f8fc62&view=att&th=130084dc6612dcf4&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw) (It was taken on my cell phone, so it's not the clearest, sorry) He's like most puppies: super energetic, happy, and very friendly. He's a little bit unsure of his new home still but he's being very brave about it all. And he's super smart! My mom's joking that my expectations are just lower than usual (her dog was the main family pet before this, and he had seizures when he was a puppy so even though he's very sweet and friendly he's a little brain damaged) but of course I think my baby's a genius :D

But despite all this, I can't come up with a name! So far I'm debating between:
Spencer (after Dr. Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds) who is a genius and my TV husband)
Gibbs (after Agent Gibbs (NCIS) who's the smart, silent protector type)
D'Artagnan (for the 3 Musketeers, of course! And as a French teacher, I'm a little extra partial to French names)

Any other suggestions? What do you guys think?

Ari Meermans
05-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Congratulations! Why not ask the little one? When I come up with about three names I like, I call out the names a minute or so apart. The name that gets a physical response or the strongest physical response—tail wagging, cocked ear and direct look, or pup comes bounding over—is the name we settle on. I've had 14 dogs over the years and this has been our naming method for all but the 2 who came to us already named.

Just a thought.

TudorRose
05-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Can't see the pic I'm afraid - just takes me to a google account login.

I'd be inclined to go for something Welsh - something traditional like Morgan, or mythological (try here) (http://www.namenerds.com/welsh/meaning.html), or named after a famous Welshman eg Dylan (Thomas), (Richard) Burton or (Anthony) Hopkins.

Vito
05-19-2011, 05:46 PM
If you're going for the French thing, you can name him Jean-Louis but call him "Jack". Just like Jack Kerouac. :Thumbs:

Pistol Whipped Bee
05-19-2011, 05:46 PM
I'd pass on the names you've picked so far and instead let your dog tell you his name. If you're patient - it'll come to you. I named my dog Rumi. I'd never read a word of his before I named him, but the name fits him like a glove. His nickname is Pooh - after Winnie. He's smart and nothing but love and play.

Chris P
05-19-2011, 06:12 PM
I agree the dog is in more command of this situation than you are. When I got my dog in high school, I was unsure between Pavlov, Pasteur, or Rutherford (yes, I'm a science junkie!). Pavlov ended up fitting him better, and he agreed.

If I ever get a borzoi, however, his name will be Tolstoy since these gorgeous dogs are so prominent in War and Peace.

William Haskins
05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
TAny other suggestions? What do you guys think?

have you tried simply asking the dog what his name is?

regdog
05-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Bumblebee

Transformers fan here

Komnena
05-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Llelo after a character in Sharon Penman's books set in Wales.

bettielee
05-20-2011, 12:00 AM
The link does not work... I DEMAND A PICTURE OF SAID PUPPEH! ;)

tee hee...

Don Allen
05-20-2011, 12:05 AM
"Governor Groovy" I love that name....

HarryHoskins
05-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Colonel Woofter Though I voted, Gibbs.

Soccer Mom
05-20-2011, 12:25 AM
I refuse to answer until you posts puppy pics or a working link. Must. See. Puppy. Now.

Matera the Mad
05-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Food

Haggis
05-20-2011, 12:31 AM
It seems to me the perfect name for a dog is "Haggis."

rhymegirl
05-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Poochy.

Caitlin Black
05-20-2011, 03:15 AM
I'm a fan of Spencer, but only because I chose the most normal-sounding-to-me name in the list. I like giving animals normal-sounding names. :)

Underthelivingmoon
05-20-2011, 03:24 AM
Fuzzy Cuddlesworth III - lol

How about Chewy?

Ambrosia
05-20-2011, 04:45 AM
Personally I think a name with two to three syllables works the best, something you can say quickly and won't get you tongue tied when you are giving the dog a command.

I named one of my dogs Angel, because she was an angel... very sweet and good. We got her from another person who had named her Cocoa because she liked the marshmallows in cocoa. But the name didn't fit her so we changed it. The vet remarked that unlike most dogs named Angel, the name fit her perfectly.

My husband and I named the puppy we got for Angel to train Attila the Hun-ey. We simply call her Attila, though. Believe me, it fits her. :D

My baby and traveling companion is named Amber. We named her according to her color -- amber waves of grain. Everyone comments to me how beautiful she is and when they find out her name everyone says how well it fits.

Go through a few names and play with the names... say the names and see how it sounds to you and if your dog is intrigued by the sound. You will know when you find the right one if you pay attention to how it makes you feel inside.

Good luck.

Victoria
05-20-2011, 04:49 AM
I voted Gibbs cuz I love him! Also, in one episode, there was a Corgi that Gibbs rescues from an about to be exploded trailer. No brainer.

Voxtrot
05-20-2011, 04:52 AM
Well I chose Gibbs because it has a certain ring to it, but it does have its detractors: could be construed as referring to Turley giblets, or Mel Gibson (sorry Mel Gibson fans). Spencer reminds me too much of a spoiled kid from private school (no offence Spencer's, lol). And D'Artagnan... Too much of a mouthful to be practical, in my opinion.

But what does you dog like the best? Have you tried calling him each name and testing the reaction?

Yasaibatake
05-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Okay, first off, pictures!
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af65/yasaibatake/Gibbs009.jpg
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af65/yasaibatake/Gibbs002.jpg

Second, thanks for all the help! At the end of the day he...actually still doesn't have a name :D I let my students come up with lists of possible names today (hey, it's almost finals, a little extra fun never hurt anyone). After I vetoed all the crazy ones I got like "Thermostat" or "End of the World", I added a few more I found on baby name websites over my plan period and sat down with puppy to test them out. Turns out puppy's just as indecisive as I am! He reacted to 5 of them pretty consistently:
Remi
Ari
D'Artagnan (though that might have been because he's heard it the most now)
Anoki
Jethro (of course, still after Agent Gibbs!)

Hmmm...how did I end up with more names tonight than I had this morning...?

Yeshanu
05-20-2011, 07:16 PM
I'd say if you used D'Artagnan, you could shorten it to Artie, which would work better for calling him.

Fruitbat
05-20-2011, 08:41 PM
He looks like a Lawrence to me.

Eudoxia
05-21-2011, 01:23 AM
D'Artagnan & Remi really stand out to me and I believe one of those names would work pretty well with the dog (so cute!).

bmadsen
05-25-2011, 11:22 PM
name him or her after your brother or sister, is by far the best way to annoy them. did that with my drooling, not so mentally fit Samoyed/Boxer mix. It was funny as hell:

Hey sergio!

Wha?

No, the dog.

Aureluis
05-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Rimmel or maybe Oliver!

Lynn
05-26-2011, 12:27 AM
Please remove those adorable pictures before I beg my husband to get me one. (My German Shepherd would not be happy.)

How about Guy or Gaston? I think it'd be cute since they make me think of huge, muscular guys and your pooch is so sweet and small.

nathanrudy
05-26-2011, 03:36 AM
I adopted two cats when I bought my house 17 years ago, and named then Chavez and Ebbett, after the fields the Dodgers played on. Chavez worked out pretty well for one cat, but Ebbett was an awful name for the other. I went through about 20 names, and none worked.

One night a month or so later I had friends over for a dinner, and cooked lobster. The cat with no permanent name was transfixed by the lobster, unable to look away. My friend said, "Why not call her Lobster?"

"That's ridiculous," I replied. "I'd wind up calling her Newburg."

17 years later, Newburg is still with us.

I don't know if that helps at all, but the lesson I'm trying to impart is that your corgi has a name already. You just have to find it.

(P.S. My first dog -- a purebred Golden Retriever so I had to giver her a "formal" name -- was Bob Murphy's Happy Recap and I called her Murphy. I had her with me when I met my wife, which is how I got her. The wife, I mean. :-) Murph passed away two years ago of stomach cancer (I bawled like a baby on the vet's floor when we put her down) and our current dog -- a rescue mutt of lab, golden and beagle mix -- is named Atticus Happy Finch because I thought it was funny to name a dog after a lawyer who shot a rabid dog and my five year old daughter said she had to have the middle name Happy like Murphy did. We call her Atty which is perfect for her, and also short for attorney!)

Bryce Daniels
05-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Ahhhhhh.......adorable. I go with "Dexter."

Vaguely Piratical
05-26-2011, 04:14 AM
I had a dog name Spencer growing up. Great dog, I vote for Spencer.

nathanrudy
05-26-2011, 04:51 AM
P.S. I vote for a name with two syllables, because apparently dogs can recognize that best.