Not open for further replies.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks great, Richard!
emoteThumbs.gif

PS -- to the folks on dial-up especially, the bookmark files are between 5 & 10 megabytes in size, so keep that in mind when downloading them.

Also -- we tested printing them on Xerox DocuColor digital copiers with Xerox Supergloss cardstock paper for the bookmarks, and Xerox Digital Expressions+ paper for the posters and flyers. These are laser printer photo quality papers and we got great results. Most copy shops should stock either the same thing or something similar.

If you can't get a copy shop to donate printouts and can only afford black & white, be sure to get them to set the machine to optimize printing for photos so that you get shades of grey.

Last edited:

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I'm sure one will be available, but you don't want a JPEG one - the red will get absolutely murdered by the compression process - and the GIF will be pretty sizable.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
From where on the site will folks order the book?

Richard - Sorry but I'm not sure where to put this question and since you're doing the website, I figured I'd try it here: where on the website will people be directed to Lulu or whatever other places from which they can order? Right now, there's no mention anywhere - which makes sense since it's not quite ready to be ordered. But where will order info be? On a separate page, or where it says "How you can help"?

Thanks - feel free to push this question to the appropriate thread.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
It'll be where the big 'Coming Soon' image currently is, which appears on all the pages, as well as linked wherever relevant - Jenna's blog posts for example.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I don't know how Kinkos does things - we don't have them here - but basically you download the PDF file from the site and give it to the printer, and their system should be able to spool them out.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Jean Marie said:
Richard and Chunky (um, shorts kinda short)
smile.gif
cute legs though!

The posters, everything looks phenomenal!!! I went to the bookmark-how do you go about doing this? The printer goes to the site/link? Eg: Kinko's?

If you hover over the red words next to the bookmarks, they become links. The linked (hover) color is red also. A PDF file opens up, and then you can save the file to disk or upload the file to an online Staples or Kinko's or any other printing services. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Richard said:
I don't know how Kinkos does things - we don't have them here - but basically you download the PDF file from the site and give it to the printer, and their system should be able to spool them out.

I have a B&W laser printer? Now what???? I wants them bookmarks!

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Vanessa said:
If you hover over the red words next to the bookmarks, they become links. The linked (hover) color is red also. A PDF file opens up, and then you can save the file to disk or upload the file to an online Staples or Kinko's or any other printing services. Hope this makes sense.

Hover? Like wee willie's chopper?

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Jean Marie said:

Click on the file you want and when the PDF opens up, use print in your browser to print. Of course make sure you have the correct card stock of paper that you may want to use. In your case of Black and White, set the optimization to the highest level. You want the finest quality. Being a laser printer, you should get great results, of course only in black and white. (greyscale)

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Jean Marie said:

If you have a printer, just open the file and select Print.

Yes hang over the words, while the link color changes

Normally it does, although in this case not - purely to maintain the colour scheme (I tried a few variants of grey, but they didn't look that good)

Lady K'Lyssia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.klyssia.com
Okay - been playing with various printing methods for the flyer - I have a regular laser as well as a color laser printer. (low on color toner have to go get some).

When I print the flyer in B&W the wording on the side is very hard to read. If I lighten the flyer any at all the cover and the background washout - not good. Could the person who designed such a beautiful flyer consider a slight redo to lighten the lettering in the side bar just a bit so it it easier to read?

To save my costs, I'm limiting my color printing to places where the flyer may end up with a prominent display - books stores - newspapers and places where I get lucky enough to have it posted.

Unfortunately, I can't do the poster size at home and will have to pay to have it printed.

I hope to get my mailing out by this weekend to the local (and surrounding areas) media and bookstores (as soon as I can get the color cartridges I need.)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I took so long to get to this, Jamie.

If you go to Lulu and click on the cover of the book, a larger version will open up. Right-click and 'save image as...'

That's a 72dpi, 317x477 pixel image, suitable for the web and perhaps newspapers as long as it isn't made any larger. I'll see what I can do about a higher res version for other applications.

Okay, here's a 300dpi version. Should we ask print media to put ©2005 next to or under it? Probably wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Point taken. Just not sure what's generally required when a paper runs something like that. I'll hafta check out a big city rag and see how they do it.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
As long as they have the right to run it (which you're granting them by sending it to them) they're okay. Usually a copyright mark is because it's a stock shot, or an image that the company (Apple or someone) wants to be carefully controlled. In this instance, the only thing that the picture would be used for is a story on the book, so there's no need for additional wordage - it just means extra fiddling around for whoever lays it out.

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had no luck with Staples in supporting with flyers, posters,etc. Apparently "over budget". Anyway...

I emailed a local printer that is very well established. The manager responded to my email almost immediately and wants me to phone him tomorrow. He said that they should be able to do something for me. I mentioned that they would obviously get name credit as the printer and that I would mention such donation in my upcoming news interview. I am so happy about this!

Deb
smile.gif

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As the coxswain said to the rowing crew in his boat:

OAR-SOME!

Great job, Deb!

Status
Not open for further replies.