for nook, is it epub conversion first or after?

wizard tim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chimpwithpencil.com
Do I need to convert my manuscript to epub before I upload it to the Nook store? Or does the conversion occur after I've uploaded?

I read the Barnes and Noble format guidelines and tried the Nook forums, but I still don't know.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
You can also take the epub from another source (Smashwords, for instance, or your own conversion software), modify it to fit the B&N requirements (front matter, etc.) and upload that. The advantage here is that you can use Sigil or some other free software to edit the epub, which lets you clean up any small problems generated by automatic conversion.

You don't *have* to do that; but if you're focused on the small details of your work, you might want to.

Catana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingcycle.wordpress.com
Please be aware that unless you're going to list your book on Smashwords, using it to format your text for B & N is unethical. It's an abuse of the service, and adds to the delays when other people are in line for formatting.

Reaction score
Sorry, Catana... I sort of automatically assume that anyone self publishing an ebook is going to hit Smashwords, too; it's sort of silly not to.

wizard tim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chimpwithpencil.com
So it appears that you can either format to epub first with free software and then upload that to B&N, or just upload a .doc or .html to Pubit and let that do the conversion. Good to know there are some options here.

Thanks all!

Deleted member 42

So it appears that you can either format to epub first with free software and then upload that to B&N, or just upload a .doc or .html to Pubit and let that do the conversion. Good to know there are some options here.

Thanks all!

Just Check Your Work. Make sure the TOC works, for instance, and that there are no blank pages or odd gaps.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Please be aware that unless you're going to list your book on Smashwords, using it to format your text for B & N is unethical. It's an abuse of the service, and adds to the delays when other people are in line for formatting.

The TOS goes further than that, if I'm reading it correctly. It says:

The author/publisher is not authorized to independently sell or distribute Smashwords-generated file conversions outside of the Smashwords site or Smashwords distribution network without first receiving written permission from Smashwords (in other words, you cannot use Smashwords as a free file conversion service so you can sell the files elsewhere).

Which sounds as though you can't use the converted version, even if you are using Smashwords for another vendor. (Unless you get permission, that is.)

wizard tim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chimpwithpencil.com
Thanks to Catana and Eqb for helping clear things up. I had no intention of using one service to feed another, and don't want to do anything unethical. I was just confused as to how to do the conversions.
I loaded my homemade html doc to Pubit and it's handling the conversion. Apparently this takes several business days.
Thanks for the advice. This is new territory and I have a lot to learn.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Catana... I sort of automatically assume that anyone self publishing an ebook is going to hit Smashwords, too; it's sort of silly not to.
Unless you want DRM encryption. SW does not support it. One reason is that they convert to multiple formats, some of which, such as PDF, do not support DRM.

(Just pointing this out. Not intending to start a debate about whether DRM should be used.)

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
DRM or not, authors shouldn't use Smashwords files for B&N or elsewhere, except through Smashwords. It's not ethical. (Even if someone makes the weasel excuse that they are "customizing" the file to remove the required Smashwords license text.)

jnfr

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jnfr.com
Calibre is pretty good for converting your own files to any different ebook format, if you want files to sell yourself. It's free.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Calibre requires e-book formats for conversion to other e-book formats. It doesn't convert .doc or .html files. For that, mobipocket creator is a good tool. It builds .prc files, the amazon format, which you can then convert to .epub and other formats by using calibre.

Sigil is an epub file editor. To use it for much more than simple text and format changes, you need to understand html and css encoding.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
DRM or not, authors shouldn't use Smashwords files for B&N or elsewhere, except through Smashwords. It's not ethical. (Even if someone makes the weasel excuse that they are "customizing" the file to remove the required Smashwords license text.)
One of the books about self-publishing says to use lulu.com to convert from .doc to .pdf and then submit the lulu-generated .pdf to Createspace to publish.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
One of the books about self-publishing says to use lulu.com to convert from .doc to .pdf and then submit the lulu-generated .pdf to Createspace to publish.

That's a rather off-beat suggestion when there are a lot of FREE pdf. programs. The one I use is CutePDF and does the job quick and easy.

I've uploaded both to lulu and CreateSpace and found the latter quite user friendly.

220px-2009_new_novels_in_a_Berlin_bookshop.JPG

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Createspace is easy to use assuming you know how to format the book and cover into pdf. The author of the how-to book assumed that the average writer doesn't know how to do that. I don't know how much of it--headers, footers, chapter breaks, toc, drop caps, etc.--that lulu does. I haven't used lulu. It is a tad more expensive for author copies than Createspace.

jnfr

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jnfr.com
I just opened Calibre and added a book from a Word .DOC file so it can be done. I'm not very expert with Calibre overall.

ETA: Ah, maybe this is what you mean: it will add the book as a DOC type but would not convert it. It did take the same book as HTML form and converted it to EPUB though.

Last edited:

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I just opened Calibre and added a book from a Word .DOC file so it can be done. I'm not very expert with Calibre overall.

ETA: Ah, maybe this is what you mean: it will add the book as a DOC type but would not convert it. It did take the same book as HTML form and converted it to EPUB though.
Yes, that's what I meant. I didn't think it would convert html. It would save a step if it converts the toc properly. Not sure how it imports the cover, though. I'll look into it. Thanks.

jnfr

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jnfr.com
I'm still learning too, so any info you have to share, I appreciate it.

freddystewert

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
yes u do!

yes u do need to do that and i would advice u not to use free software to do this ether because it will be a waist of time and a pain and u will end up having to use manuel conversion company. so just use one from the start and not calibre. i like to use this one they have goten my books on several stores for fairly en expensively try this (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

Last edited by a moderator:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've redacted that link as spam. Freddy, if you aren't a spammer, you need to come back and let us know. Otherwise I will add a ban to that link removal.

ETA: and converting this to a ban now. Remember folks: spammers make bunnies cry!

Last edited: