Status
Not open for further replies.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
So my question is this, would you buy a signed (by author) book just because it was signed?
Twice now in my local Chapters I've found books that are signed by the author. I'm sure if I looked maybe there would be more. Though the books didn't sound like my thing I really wanted to buy them just because they were signed. Hell I still want to go back and buy them because they were signed.

Now my second question is this... how exactly did the signed book copies make it all the way to my mediocre sized Chapters in the the Great White North? I would have thought they were fake but they have the Chapters sticker of approval, so the books have even been logged in the system as a signed copies.

Anyways just curious.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the authors did a booksigning there?

When my daughter was born, my boss's wife went to a local bookstore and got her a signed copy of Allan Ahlberg's Each Peach Pear Plum. So much nicer than a knitted hat :)

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of book stores sell copies signed by the authors. I wouldn't buy one only because it wouldn't mean anything to me. The signed books I have are signed by authors I know or have met.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
I wouldn't get a book just because it was signed. I get them because I want the book and a signature is a bonus. Personally signed is better though.

As for how, some authors will sign books for sale and promotion. I've purchased signed books off the rack several times. According to the bookstore they came from the publisher that way.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I know lots of authors who do "drive-by" signings. As in, they're just passing through a place, stop at a book store, and sign whatever stock the store happens to have on hand. So that may be one way that the signed book found its way to your store.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the author and the edition. I might.

I worked at a used book store for quite a while and we sold an awful lot of collectible stuff, including signed editions. There are definitely plenty of people out there willing to spend money on 'em.

As for how they got there, my money's on the drive-by signing.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of local shops, including easons, sell signed copies of books. they usually have a sticker on teh front. if it's a book i'm going to buy anyway, then I'll usually buy the signed copy. But I wouldn't necessarily hunt them out.

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
If I see a book with an autographed copy sticker, I tend to pick them up out of curiosity. I'm yet to buy one just because of it, though.

The signed copies I have are personalised to me from book signings. They're much more special than generic signed copies.

Some authors give their local indie bookstores signed books, which the store sells online at a premium. So I feel that generic signed copies aren't that great.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If it's by the right writer, absolutely. I sure wish I had a first edition of Harry Potter signed by J. K. Rowling.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Only if I'm interested in the book.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
In defense of the drive-by signing: a publisher friend told me some 15 years ago that "a signed book is a sold book" since it can't be returned to the publisher.

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
In defense of the drive-by signing: a publisher friend told me some 15 years ago that "a signed book is a sold book" since it can't be returned to the publisher.

This. Authors are smart to sign their books whenever they can, as it means the bookstore can't return them. That means they get more shelf time/exposure and the author will definitely get the royalty.

I've bought one signed book in my life, and it was by a local author (though I happened to find it in a bookstore 2 hours away). I planned on buying one of his books anyway, so I figured I might as well buy the signed copy. Of course, I probably could have just had him sign it since his wife was my husband's teacher in grade school...

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I want a copy of the Bible signed by God.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I bought a signed hardback off the remainder table at my Border's some time last year. It was a book I wanted anyway. The author had done a signing here in town earlier in the year, and presumably just signed the rest of the unsold stock.

MM

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
I want a copy of the Bible signed by God.

Doesn't everyone?

In all seriousness, no, I wouldn't buy a book just because it's signed. If I love the author's work, or if it's a book I'm going to buy any way, I probably would pick the signed copy if I had a choice.

But really, I'd rather get a personalized signature from an author I've had some interaction with rather than just a random one I found on a shelf.

And I certainly wouldn't pay more for a signed copy.

artemis31386

All around miscreant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleymchristman.com
I wouldn't buy a book just because its signed. I would if I loved the author's work. But I'm with everyone who says they'd prefer it personalized. I mean I'd rather meet the author than just pick up a signed copy on the shelf.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

That's a myth. If this were really the case, no bookstore would ever allow writers to sign books that are on the racks. They couldn't return those books, and they'd be out a lot of money.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
That's a myth. If this were really the case, no bookstore would ever allow writers to sign books that are on the racks. They couldn't return those books, and they'd be out a lot of money.

That's what I thought too. Bookstores do whatever they can to make money.

I would buy a signed book if it was by an author I loved to read.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
One of the Barnes and Nobles stores in Kansas always had signed books from a local romance author. She was definitely a drive-by signer. My friend worked in the store and explained it to me. The author would just come in every few months and ask if they had any of her books on the shelf and sign them, and then they got special stickers.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I recently bought Poltergeist by Kat Richardson because it was a signed copy, I'd already read the book and knew I liked it.

Usually, the only books I buy are by people who have either spoken at one of my writing events or are going to speak at one in the future, or they are written by one of my many current or past crit partners and I am mentioned in the acknowledgements. I live in a tiny apartment and I don't have room for a lot of books.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
If it's by the right writer, absolutely. I sure wish I had a first edition of Harry Potter signed by J. K. Rowling.

We are published by the same publisher and I met her early on at drinks' party before she was particularly famous, when she was just another children's writer. She signed my name badge with a dedication for my son who'd just read the first book and was a fan. I stuck the name badge in the book which was read by my other kids and got lost under beds and in the back of cupboards until it fell apart. Anyway I have no idea where it is now so I gained no advantage.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't everyone?

In all seriousness, no, I wouldn't buy a book just because it's signed. If I love the author's work, or if it's a book I'm going to buy any way, I probably would pick the signed copy if I had a choice.

But really, I'd rather get a personalized signature from an author I've had some interaction with rather than just a random one I found on a shelf.

And I certainly wouldn't pay more for a signed copy.

I don't think they charge more - it's just worth doing because bookshops sometimes display them more prominently. As another writer also pointed out to me bookshops can't return defaced stock...

Status
Not open for further replies.