World War I

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for good sources for World War I, US, specifically any websites that have information about unit, location, service, etc. For example,

13 EVAC HOSP I know this is the Evacuation Hospital No. 13 - but where was it? Somewhere in France? Where?

357 SVC Park Unit MTC - this is the 357th Service Park Unit of the Motor Transport Corp. I'd like to know where they were stationed, what they might have done.

CO A 160 IND - so far I'm baffled on this one - Company A of 160th what?

Any good websites you can offer or sources of information will be much appreciated.

Also any websites that have service records by soldier's names or states or units will be much appreciated.

I'm working on non-fiction, local history, and I don't have much more to go on for these soldiers than what's on their military tombstones. Rep points to any and every one who come up with decent leads for me. Puma

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I would think much of this information would be found in the reference section of a good library. If they don't have the information, they should be able to guide you to the right place.

The other option would be to find one or some of those ancient historians, or a former professor who retired a long time ago, to talk to you. People like them are sometimes glad to be useful and also relive their teaching days. They too might be able to point you to some reference sources. I think they can be tracked down on the Net.

Sorry I couldn't be any help with the websites.

Good luck!

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
There was an Evacuation Hospital 13 at Commercy which functioned until 30 November 1918.

The 160th Indiana Regiment Volunteer Infantry fought in the Spanish-American War.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Priene, that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. Your source was a big help.

My problem on Co A 160 IND is that IND should stand for a type of Army unit. The best I could come up with on a military acronym search was Information Networks Division, which I guess might be possible.

Thank you for the response, Purple Rose. Good ideas but material like this only seems to show up in specialized locations. And it's funny, there seems to be a lot more available on our Civil War than our participation in World War I. Puma

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
My grandfather served in the First World War. He was in Siberia - part of the Expeditionary force. Not many people know about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Expeditionary_Force_Siberia

I think his discharge papers say he was a soldier in Company K of a Texas Cavalry Unit - though I don't know what unit he served with in Russia.

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I know you're looking for web sites, but perhaps a local used bookstore might help. Hubby's interested in Verdun, and found in a used bookstore: "A Volunteer Poilu" by Henry Sheathan, published by Houghton Mifflin Co., 1916.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you WriteKnight and Snowstorm. All leads are helpful. It seems a shame that it's so hard to find out about military service for these guys - and I knew some of them, but wasn't smart enough (or old enough) to ask them about their service back then. Hint to younger generation: ask questions now while the older generation is still around. Puma

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
My Grandfather told some interesting stories. I asked him what he was doing there, "Near as I can tell, we was guarding a damn big pile of coal."

Which, now that I google the wickipedia article, makes perfect sense. Also interesting, his birthdate that we all recognized - is NOT the one on his discharge papers. Seems he lied to get in, and fudged his age by two years. So he was sixteen while in Russia.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
this is the only reference I can come up with for the 13th evac hospital

http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/cac/bib/page52030.html

scroll down to last name Hite

if you google "us military service records repository st louis mo" you will get a number of hits that may help.

Although the repository limits who can have access to records, if you can provide written authority from somewhere like the local historical society, that may help. There is also the '62 year rule'. If they were discharged, retired, or died more than 62 years ago some of the record is available publicly.

MM

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Mirandashell and Mary Mumsy (and also Snowstorm and WriteKnight for the additional information - loved guarding the coal pile!).

The military records in St Louis is a good idea. Funny, but I'm the local historical society (actually township historian) which is why I'm in to this stuff. I had found the Bowling Green source. And I'd also found the World War I Museum. I'm making some progress, but it's slow. Puma

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Just a thought.

Puma, did the States have a public census taken during the war years?

Often a good census official would include a lot of detail re: 'youngest son, xyz, absent with ABD reg in France'

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, pdr. Most US census records seem to be on decade years only. In my genealogical researching I've only found a few cases where there were census records for anything but the decade years, and of course, by 1920, the boys were home. Puma