Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
OK, now for the scoop on review copies!

We have $500 and 25 free copies from Lulu to go toward media review copies.

Some of this will be spent on the big national newspapers and magazines, and some of it will be spent on copies for writers' local papers, TV stations, etc.

If you can afford to buy a copy or two to send to your local paper and TV station, that's great. If you can't, I can help!

This is on a first-come, first-served basis.

For NOW, please don't request more than two free copies. (I may be able to go around again, but it wouldn't be fair for some people to get several copies and others to get none.)

You can either send me the complete info (name, address) of where to send the copy, or just tell me your address and I'll send it to you so you can mail it on. If you want me to mail it for you, also include your phone number so I can include that in the cover letter.

You can send books by media mail in the US, which should cost about $2 and, in my experience, take less than a week to arrive (usually 4-5 days).

Because the review copies are kind of precious, I'd appreciate if you'd make contact first-- send a press release and/or call the paper to make sure they're interested in receiving a copy. This won't work with national publications (they won't agree to anything before seeing the book), but local publications will usually at least give an indication of whether or not they'd likely cover the book.

Please e-mail me your requests when you're ready, putting the words Review Copy in the subject line.

AND the other option:

While we have to be a bit mindful of numbers on the paperback review copies, we can be REALLY, REALLY GENEROUS with the electronic review copies. That is, anyone who has any desire to review the book is more than welcome to receive the book in PDF format. Just let me know where to send it. (I should have the final one on Monday.)

Last edited:

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna,

How much is Lulu charging for the review copies? I know you'd mentioned we might be able to buy them at a reduced rate for that purpose only.

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
I don't have a problem buying my own review copies but I'm confused about how, when, and so on. If we don't get this thing moving we're gonna lose the Christmas market, too. The news isn't dealing with charity relief that much any more. In fact, several of the news stations I watch and listen to are talking about donation fatigue.

At this point, the only thing we have in our favor is that people will get something tangible in return for their donation and I'm afraid if we don't hit the Christmas market when people are more giving anyway...

Well, I hate to sound negative but... these things do worry me. I could use a hard swift kick of confidence right now.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Stephanie, we're literally a day and a half away, so no worries! :)

Nov. 1st, the book will be finalized and ready to order on Lulu.

The price is $15.95. I'm waiting to find out the exact number and link, but I think we will have a private review copy order page that costs about $11. (That's the base price of printing-- no charity donation included.) You can use that link, once I have it, to order copies only to send to the media. I'll probably e-mail it to everyone rather than posting it publicly.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Because the review copies are kind of precious, I'd appreciate if you'd make contact first-- send a press release and/or call the paper to make sure they're interested in receiving a copy.

This is important to know. If you don't know for sure, you may call the newspaper and ask.
I know from working at a small newspaper (10k circulation) that our paper does NOT do any book reviews of any kind. So, sending one to such papers is a waste. And I also know from different authors dropping off books at our paper that they get tossed or sadly, end up on some desk, collecting dust.

Last edited:

MarkPettus

Writer and Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markpettus.com
September skies said:
This is important to know. If you don't know for sure, you may call the newspaper and ask.
I know from working at a small newspaper that our paper does NOT do any book reviews of any kind. So, sending one to such papers is a waste. And I also know from different authors dropping off books at our paper that they get tossed or sadly, end up on some desk, collecting dust.

Just to be clear, September Skies is not saying that all small papers don't do reviews, she's saying it doesn't make any sense to send a review copy if they don't.

The paper I work for does reviews, and often publishes press releases as written.

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
JennaGlatzer said:
Stephanie, we're literally a day and a half away, so no worries! :)

Nov. 1st, the book will be finalized and ready to order on Lulu.

The price is $15.95. I'm waiting to find out the exact number and link, but I think we will have a private review copy order page that costs about $11. (That's the base price of printing-- no charity donation included.) You can use that link, once I have it, to order copies only to send to the media. I'll probably e-mail it to everyone rather than posting it publicly.

Weight is lifting as I read.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
MarkPettus said:
Just to be clear, September Skies is not saying that all small papers don't do reviews, she's saying it doesn't make any sense to send a review copy if they don't.

The paper I work for does reviews, and often publishes press releases as written.

Yes. Thanks Mark. The small paper (10k circulation) I write for doesn't but some, like yours, do. I also write for a large paper (100k circulation) and that one definitely does reviews.
My smaller paper also does publish press releases as written, but often turns the interesting ones into a full story with photo.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Neither of our small papers do book reviews either, at least, not that I've ever seen. I just put "review copy available upon request" on the bottom of the press release. That way, if they DO want it they can ask and a copy won't be wasted.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's the way to do it. Let them know review copies are available, then if someone asks for one, be sure to offer them the electronic version. Their willingness to have Jenna send them the PDF version will stretch our review copy budget, and it will get the book in their hands within a day or so instead of having to wait for a printed copy to arrive. Be sure to tell them that taking the PDF is a donation to the cause in and of itself, and is greatly appreciated by all involved.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Be sure to tell them that taking the PDF is a donation to the cause in and of itself, and is greatly appreciated by all involved.

Great point!!!

....Alphabet
conserving energy for when the UK details get finalised enough to go PR-crazy

speaking of which, did you know books are often priced higher here. I think the market could bear a book price of £14.99 for a charitable book sending all its profits to disaster relief - I'm not sure what other UKers think.

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How can we access an electronic review copy to have available for a media source if they request it? I haven't indicated "review copies available upon request" on any of the press releases I've sent out by email yet but I'm emailing the newspapers tomorrow (been waiting on phone messages with some). Our main news station (NTV News) is going to do an interview with me next week - it would be great to have an electronic review copy available for them if they would like it. Thanks!

Deb
smile.gif

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Heading to CVS... not only was I without Internet access for more than a day, but I'm unmedicated, too. :scared: (Er, I take Lexipro. But I ran out.) Must go get some, then will come back and send out electronic copies to everyone, so you can have it "on hand" if anyone wants it.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
OK, sent the electronic copies! So far it bounced to Linley (says your mailbox is over quota) and Janet R. (didn't tell me why). Tell me if you want me to try again, or send to another e-mail address.

janetr

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.EyesofaSecret.com
Review Copies

Jenna, I have AGAIN cleared up my email problem. Please resend it to the jross email. :Hammer: thanks for posting the trouble. If it happens again :mad: I'll give you a different email address to use.

:banana: to all the wonderful people involved and for their support and love :kiss:

Janetr

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Jenna--review copy

Jenna, I sent you an e-mail re: a Birmingham, Alabama magazine's request for a hard copy review copy.

ETA: Thanks for your reply, Jenna! :kiss:

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
No prob!

P.S. Are you guys able to place reviews on the Lulu page? I mean, do you see that option, or am I the only one who sees it?

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see the review option, but would it be kosher to post a review, being a contributor?

If so, I'd be glad to do one. (I'd want someone to read it over first, having never actually written a review before.)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing. I don't feel comfortable reviewing a book I'm in. Perhaps we should seek out those we know who have bought it through Lulu and ask them nicely if they would post a review?

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CC, we could do a hybrid of it--if someone liked the book and wants to do a review but feels too intimidated by the process, we could ask them questions necessary to flesh one out of them by interviewing them.

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
My coworker who ordered the book on Oct 21st when I did received her copy on Friday and said she was going to soak it up this weekend. I will ask her tomorrow her thoughts about doing a review

kim

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Alphabet said:
Great point!!!

....Alphabet
conserving energy for when the UK details get finalised enough to go PR-crazy

speaking of which, did you know books are often priced higher here. I think the market could bear a book price of £14.99 for a charitable book sending all its profits to disaster relief - I'm not sure what other UKers think.

I think £14.99 is too high; that would be the price for a hard-back. A trade paperback is £9.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.