Official Press Release (NOTE: Page count now 316)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Here ya go!

Writing Community Unites to Write “Stories of Strength” for Disaster Relief

As they watched the coverage of Hurricane Katrina’s devastation, writers who had gathered on the AbsoluteWrite.com message boards decided not to sit by helplessly any longer. Instead, they set their pens and keyboards to work-- writing uplifting essays, short fiction, and poetry on the theme of “strength.” The result is the 316-page anthology Stories of Strength, with 100 percent of the proceeds to go to disaster relief charities, including the Red Cross, Americares, and the Salvation Army.

Headed by Jenna Glatzer, author of acclaimed Celine Dion biography For Keeps, this project attracted contributions from many well-known writers, including a story and an original hymn by award-winning science fiction novelist Orson Scott Card, an essay by famed actor Wil Wheaton (Star Trek, Stand By Me), and a short story from Christian romance author Robin Lee Hatcher.

With more than 100 pieces from writers all over the world, and the gracious efforts of prominent editors and graphic designers, Stories of Strength is a tribute to the human spirit: celebrating true stories of courage and endurance in challenging situations that range from the death of a child to living through natural disasters, to smaller-scale trials, like dealing with returning an overdue book to the local Library Troll.

[Local writer XYZ’s story “yyy” is among the works chosen for Stories of Strength. XYZ says, “yyy.”]

Alternating between tear-jerking and humorous, Stories of Strength is guaranteed to inspire and remind readers that the human spirit knows no boundaries.

“Many people have said they plan to order copies for everyone on their holiday list,” says Jenna Glatzer. “What a fantastic way to give a present that also helps people rebuild their lives.”

The writers hope to turn their words into sizeable long-term contributions to disaster relief charities. In addition to the writers’ donations, publishing company Lulu (www.lulu.com) is generously donating its profits from the project. Lulu will also donate several media review copies.

Most writers are available for interviews, readings, and book signings.

Ordering details are at www.storiesofstrength.com.

The book will be available direct from Lulu on November 1, 2005, and available to order from bookstores worldwide soon thereafter.

Book details:

Stories of Strength
Editor/Publisher: Jenna Glatzer
Publishing services provided by Lulu
ISBN: 1-4116-5503-6
Release date: November 1, 2005
316 pages
Price: $15.95
6.0 x 9.0 in., Perfect-bound, 60# cream interior paper, black and white interior ink, 100# white exterior paper, full-color (CMYK) exterior

###

(Name, phone, e-mail)

---

Instructions:

Okay, folks, here we go!

WAHOOO!

This is the press release, which you can feel free to tweak for your own purposes.

In the bracketed part (local writer says, "Blah blah"), here's what's important:

Name your town or county. "Local writer" isn't strong enough on its own-- the local papers will want to know that you're from their circulation area. So the bracketed part could read something like this:

Jane Smith from Tookalooka County is one of the writers whose work was chosen for the anthology. Her essay, "XYZ," is about the strength she needed to overcome her mother's death from heart disease. "I'm proud to have my story included," says Jane. "It feels great to be able to use my love of writing to help people in need. I hope this project will make Tookalooka County proud!"

If you want us to check over your additions to the press release, please post them here! I'm happy to copyedit. We want to make sure there are no grammatical errors or typos in anything that goes out; it's important to make sure the media takes this seriously.

The next variable is review copies:

If you're enclosing a review copy with the press release, you can just indicate that at the bottom of the press release (Enclosed: Review copy), or write a separate cover letter that says you're including a review copy and hope they will choose to feature the book in their paper/magazine.

If you are NOT including a review copy, you may wish to state "Review copy available: Please contact me at xyz." (I'll start another thread to explain this.)

The last variable is contact info.

You have two options:

1. Include your own contact info at the bottom of the release-- your name, phone, and e-mail.

or

2. Include my contact info. You can use the e-mail storiesofstrength @ jennaglatzer.com (remove spaces-- I'm just putting them in to avoid spambots). I don't want to give out my phone number openly, nor do I want it posted anywhere on the web, but I don't mind giving it to you privately so you can include it in releases you're sending directly to newspapers/magazines.

It's better to include your own contact info for any local media. For national media, it's OK to include mine.

I'll send out many releases to national media, and I'll post in the "media that's been contacted" thread as I do so. I'll also post the PR on PRWeb.com and other free press release sites. Alibris has also offered to feature the book (thanks, Alibris!).

I'll post another thread in a minute to discuss review copies...

Last edited by a moderator:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Jenna, this is wonderful, thank you so much! I've already sent the press release to someone who has a wildly popular Newsletter (US based), and since he's very strong on stories anyway, I'm sure he'll help!
I'm not sure if my local UK town will want to publish it but I'll certainly try... but I'll wait til it really is available in Britain. I do hope it will be on amazon.co.uk.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
It definitely will. :) I'm just not sure how long it'll take. Unfortunately, that's not in Lulu's control-- Amazon and BN.com add listings in batches, and the timetable varies a lot.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, back to work. I've left the release word for word, but here's what I added in the bracketed 'local writer' section:

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Canmore, Alberta writer C. Montgomery Stuart’s story “Breaking the Ice” is among the works chosen for Stories of Strength. He says, “What Jenna Glatzer has managed to put together in such a short time is nothing short of miraculous, and I am honoured to be a part of it. I can't think of a better way to see my first published fiction in print.”[/font]​

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna thank you so much. This is very nice and so professional. WOW it's good to be a part of such an exclusive league of folks. As I've said before, I'll always be grateful for the opportunity.

Last edited:

Lady K'Lyssia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.klyssia.com
This looks great Jenna,

I will be getting it out to various media sources in Colorado Springs, CO. Is anyone going to cover Denver and Pueblo or any other areas of Colorado cuz I can see if my budget will allow me to add those areas as well if no one else is planning on sending to them.

Carol Hightshoe
www.carolhightshoe.com

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'll be off sending out press releases on Monday. ;)

Now, if we have the poster/bookmark (where are the links? ;) ) I could prepare a press kit with them. Would be nice to take the press kit to the book stores...

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?

Lady K'Lyssia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.klyssia.com
Any writers in Colorado send me your blurb and contact info and I'll add you to my PR for the places I will be sending to the Front Range newspapers / radio / TV and bookstores. I plan on hitting the areas between Castle Rock and Pueblo - with empasis on Colorado Springs - where I am located. If no one else is sending anything - I may send stuff to Trinadad as well.

My mailing will include the PR - the flyer to newspapers / radio and TV. I will be including 5 bookmarks in the mailings I send to bookstores.

Carol

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Media kit
Cover should be the book's cover
Inside, a smaller version of the cover with all the pertinent info about the book (title, ISBN, page count, ordering information, blah blah blah.. all the stuff listed at the bottom of the Press Release)

Reviews (we don't have any yet though, so I guess you can skip this)
Media/press release

FAQ's (optional)

That's about it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Press kit may also include:

Author bio
Author photo
Reviews
Newspaper or magazine articles about the author and/or book
CD, audio, video clips, etc.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Oh yeah, forgot the bio, thanks Ray. I wasn't looking at my media packet when I wrote that.
If you want to include your own bio, you could do that, or maybe Jenna has one she would like included?

My bio has my picture on it, all on one page.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Press Release should look official

I have seen many press releases at the newspaper (I work at)

Some looked official, some you could tell a person just jotted down some info and sent it out.

If you're faxing a press release out:

(on mine - I put an SOS banner with PRESS RELEASE in written on it
then:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(name and contact info here)

Then go on to the P.R. info that Jenna has given us.

Don't just send the P.R. info with contact info on the bottom. Every official press release I have ever seen has the info on top

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's okay to be a little over a page. We really don't want to cut out any of the info.
It would be great if you use the SoS logo on your release, it's attached to this post. Just right-click and save it. You'll might want to resize it if you don't want it to be the width of the page. I'll post how I did mine in a moment.

Attachments

• SoSlogo1.gif
    SoSlogo1.gif
    10 KB · Views: 275

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thanks, CC!

I'm in the process of creating a label for my CD-R to take to the copy shop, and I was reduced to trying to fit a bookmark on it. This is much better!

(Next thing on the list is formatting the news release to print up!)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's how I used the logo in the release:

Attachments

• pr1.jpg
    pr1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 251
Status
Not open for further replies.