PDA

View Full Version : Official Press Release (NOTE: Page count now 316)

JennaGlatzer
10-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Here ya go!

Writing Community Unites to Write “Stories of Strength” for Disaster Relief

As they watched the coverage of Hurricane Katrina’s devastation, writers who had gathered on the AbsoluteWrite.com message boards decided not to sit by helplessly any longer. Instead, they set their pens and keyboards to work-- writing uplifting essays, short fiction, and poetry on the theme of “strength.” The result is the 316-page anthology Stories of Strength, with 100 percent of the proceeds to go to disaster relief charities, including the Red Cross, Americares, and the Salvation Army.

Headed by Jenna Glatzer, author of acclaimed Celine Dion biography For Keeps, this project attracted contributions from many well-known writers, including a story and an original hymn by award-winning science fiction novelist Orson Scott Card, an essay by famed actor Wil Wheaton (Star Trek, Stand By Me), and a short story from Christian romance author Robin Lee Hatcher.

With more than 100 pieces from writers all over the world, and the gracious efforts of prominent editors and graphic designers, Stories of Strength is a tribute to the human spirit: celebrating true stories of courage and endurance in challenging situations that range from the death of a child to living through natural disasters, to smaller-scale trials, like dealing with returning an overdue book to the local Library Troll.

[Local writer XYZ’s story “yyy” is among the works chosen for Stories of Strength. XYZ says, “yyy.”]

Alternating between tear-jerking and humorous, Stories of Strength is guaranteed to inspire and remind readers that the human spirit knows no boundaries.

“Many people have said they plan to order copies for everyone on their holiday list,” says Jenna Glatzer. “What a fantastic way to give a present that also helps people rebuild their lives.”

The writers hope to turn their words into sizeable long-term contributions to disaster relief charities. In addition to the writers’ donations, publishing company Lulu (www.lulu.com (http://www.lulu.com/)) is generously donating its profits from the project. Lulu will also donate several media review copies.

Most writers are available for interviews, readings, and book signings.

Ordering details are at www.storiesofstrength.com (http://www.storiesofstrength.com/).

The book will be available direct from Lulu on November 1, 2005, and available to order from bookstores worldwide soon thereafter.

Book details:

Stories of Strength
Editor/Publisher: Jenna Glatzer
Publishing services provided by Lulu
ISBN: 1-4116-5503-6
Release date: November 1, 2005
316 pages
Price: $15.95
6.0 x 9.0 in., Perfect-bound, 60# cream interior paper, black and white interior ink, 100# white exterior paper, full-color (CMYK) exterior

###

(Name, phone, e-mail)

---

Instructions:

Okay, folks, here we go!

WAHOOO!

This is the press release, which you can feel free to tweak for your own purposes.

In the bracketed part (local writer says, "Blah blah"), here's what's important:

Name your town or county. "Local writer" isn't strong enough on its own-- the local papers will want to know that you're from their circulation area. So the bracketed part could read something like this:

Jane Smith from Tookalooka County is one of the writers whose work was chosen for the anthology. Her essay, "XYZ," is about the strength she needed to overcome her mother's death from heart disease. "I'm proud to have my story included," says Jane. "It feels great to be able to use my love of writing to help people in need. I hope this project will make Tookalooka County proud!"

If you want us to check over your additions to the press release, please post them here! I'm happy to copyedit. We want to make sure there are no grammatical errors or typos in anything that goes out; it's important to make sure the media takes this seriously.

The next variable is review copies:

If you're enclosing a review copy with the press release, you can just indicate that at the bottom of the press release (Enclosed: Review copy), or write a separate cover letter that says you're including a review copy and hope they will choose to feature the book in their paper/magazine.

If you are NOT including a review copy, you may wish to state "Review copy available: Please contact me at xyz." (I'll start another thread to explain this.)

The last variable is contact info.

You have two options:

1. Include your own contact info at the bottom of the release-- your name, phone, and e-mail.

or

2. Include my contact info. You can use the e-mail storiesofstrength @ jennaglatzer.com (remove spaces-- I'm just putting them in to avoid spambots). I don't want to give out my phone number openly, nor do I want it posted anywhere on the web, but I don't mind giving it to you privately so you can include it in releases you're sending directly to newspapers/magazines.

It's better to include your own contact info for any local media. For national media, it's OK to include mine.

I'll send out many releases to national media, and I'll post in the "media that's been contacted" thread as I do so. I'll also post the PR on PRWeb.com and other free press release sites. Alibris has also offered to feature the book (thanks, Alibris!).

I'll post another thread in a minute to discuss review copies...

aruna
10-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Jenna, this is wonderful, thank you so much! I've already sent the press release to someone who has a wildly popular Newsletter (US based), and since he's very strong on stories anyway, I'm sure he'll help!
I'm not sure if my local UK town will want to publish it but I'll certainly try... but I'll wait til it really is available in Britain. I do hope it will be on amazon.co.uk.

JennaGlatzer
10-30-2005, 12:31 PM
It definitely will. :) I'm just not sure how long it'll take. Unfortunately, that's not in Lulu's control-- Amazon and BN.com add listings in batches, and the timetable varies a lot.

ChunkyC
10-30-2005, 04:31 PM
[/url]
[url="showpost.php?p=377468&postcount=50"]This guy (showpost.php?p=377468&postcount=50) runs the joint with me. No, really (showpost.php?p=377526&postcount=67).
You were saying something about this project being taken seriously.... :Smack: (I have only myself to blame, for I have no shame)

ChunkyC
10-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Okay, back to work. I've left the release word for word, but here's what I added in the bracketed 'local writer' section:

Canmore, Alberta writer C. Montgomery Stuart’s story “Breaking the Ice” is among the works chosen for Stories of Strength. He says, “What Jenna Glatzer has managed to put together in such a short time is nothing short of miraculous, and I am honoured to be a part of it. I can't think of a better way to see my first published fiction in print.”

KimJo
10-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Hooray! The release is released!

Vanessa
10-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Jenna thank you so much. This is very nice and so professional. WOW it's good to be a part of such an exclusive league of folks. As I've said before, I'll always be grateful for the opportunity.

awatkins
10-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Lovely, Jenna. Thanks! I'll get mine ready to go out asap. :)

Lady K'Lyssia
10-30-2005, 08:25 PM
This looks great Jenna,

I will be getting it out to various media sources in Colorado Springs, CO. Is anyone going to cover Denver and Pueblo or any other areas of Colorado cuz I can see if my budget will allow me to add those areas as well if no one else is planning on sending to them.

Carol Hightshoe
www.carolhightshoe.com

maestrowork
10-30-2005, 08:52 PM
I'll be off sending out press releases on Monday. ;)

Now, if we have the poster/bookmark (where are the links? ;) ) I could prepare a press kit with them. Would be nice to take the press kit to the book stores...

Ken Schneider
10-30-2005, 10:41 PM
k. i have plenty of time to work on it. one handed.

ken

Dawno
10-30-2005, 11:01 PM
I'll be off sending out press releases on Monday. ;)

Now, if we have the poster/bookmark (where are the links? ;) ) I could prepare a press kit with them. Would be nice to take the press kit to the book stores...

http://www.storiesofstrength.com/how-you-can-help/

Lady K'Lyssia
10-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Any writers in Colorado send me your blurb and contact info and I'll add you to my PR for the places I will be sending to the Front Range newspapers / radio / TV and bookstores. I plan on hitting the areas between Castle Rock and Pueblo - with empasis on Colorado Springs - where I am located. If no one else is sending anything - I may send stuff to Trinadad as well.

My mailing will include the PR - the flyer to newspapers / radio and TV. I will be including 5 bookmarks in the mailings I send to bookstores.

Carol

Shwebb
10-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Could y'all tell me what would go into a media/press kit?

Christine N.
10-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Media kit
Cover should be the book's cover
Inside, a smaller version of the cover with all the pertinent info about the book (title, ISBN, page count, ordering information, blah blah blah.. all the stuff listed at the bottom of the Press Release)

Reviews (we don't have any yet though, so I guess you can skip this)
Media/press release

FAQ's (optional)

That's about it.

September skies
10-31-2005, 12:06 AM
Thank you Jenna, and all involved in putting the release together. I will be busy the next couple of days getting this out. I am very honored to be a part of this. Thank you and God Bless you all.

maestrowork
10-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Press kit may also include:

Author bio
Author photo
Reviews
Newspaper or magazine articles about the author and/or book
CD, audio, video clips, etc.

Christine N.
10-31-2005, 01:53 AM
Oh yeah, forgot the bio, thanks Ray. I wasn't looking at my media packet when I wrote that.
If you want to include your own bio, you could do that, or maybe Jenna has one she would like included?

My bio has my picture on it, all on one page.

September skies
10-31-2005, 06:34 AM
I have seen many press releases at the newspaper (I work at)

Some looked official, some you could tell a person just jotted down some info and sent it out.

If you're faxing a press release out:

(on mine - I put an SOS banner with PRESS RELEASE in written on it
then:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(name and contact info here)

Then go on to the P.R. info that Jenna has given us.

Don't just send the P.R. info with contact info on the bottom. Every official press release I have ever seen has the info on top

Shwebb
10-31-2005, 06:38 AM
Hey, thanks for that info! I was going to post a question about it, and you just answered it for me.

ChunkyC
10-31-2005, 06:46 AM
Good tip!

Sully
10-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Should the press release be only one page long? Does it matter? Mine is coming out to a page and a bit more...

Mary

ChunkyC
10-31-2005, 07:35 PM
I think it's okay to be a little over a page. We really don't want to cut out any of the info.
It would be great if you use the SoS logo on your release, it's attached to this post. Just right-click and save it. You'll might want to resize it if you don't want it to be the width of the page. I'll post how I did mine in a moment.

Shwebb
10-31-2005, 07:45 PM
Oh, thanks, CC!

I'm in the process of creating a label for my CD-R to take to the copy shop, and I was reduced to trying to fit a bookmark on it. This is much better!

(Next thing on the list is formatting the news release to print up!)

ChunkyC
10-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Here's how I used the logo in the release:

Lady K'Lyssia
10-31-2005, 09:25 PM
I love it - thanks for posting

Carol
www.carolhightshoe.com

ChunkyC
11-01-2005, 09:37 PM
A quick note: the total number of pages in the book is now actually 316. It's a minor point, but please make the change in your press releases in the interest of accuracy. The page count is mentioned in two places: the first paragraph, and in the details section towards the end of the release.

I'll make the change to the version Jenna put up at the beginning of this thread.

Rose colored glasses
11-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Does the press release have to be sent as part of a press kit? And should it be snail mailed rather than emailed?

maestrowork
11-01-2005, 09:57 PM
The Press Release can be sent on its own, but if you are sending a press kit, it would be wise to include a press release. Press kit are usually sent via postal mail. Press Release, however, can be sent via email.

WVWriterGirl
11-01-2005, 10:08 PM
For most of the press releases I'm sending so far, it is being requested that they be sent via email. How should I do it? Should it be an attachment, or in the body? Should I use the heading? What kind of subject line should I use? Do I need to preface the actual release with anything? First timer here, in need of help!

Thanks guys!

Kim Gogo
11-01-2005, 10:33 PM
A quick note: the total number of pages in the book is now actually 316. It's a minor point, but please make the change in your press releases in the interest of accuracy. The page count is mentioned in two places: the first paragraph, and in the details section towards the end of the release.

I'll make the change to the version Jenna put up at the beginning of this thread.

You may want to set this note up as a new thread entitled "Revised Press Release" as I sent mine already to my husband's printer office to seek approval to print off some flyers and it included the wrong page count.

kim

ChunkyC
11-01-2005, 11:05 PM
For most of the press releases I'm sending so far, it is being requested that they be sent via email. How should I do it? Should it be an attachment, or in the body? Should I use the heading? What kind of subject line should I use? Do I need to preface the actual release with anything? First timer here, in need of help!

Thanks guys!
For email, I think in the body of the message is the way to go. And plain text messaging is also a good idea. Both these measures will minimize the chance that the release will be blocked by security software at the receiving end.

Just put PRESS RELEASE in the subject line.
The first line in the body of the message should say For Immediate Release:
Next, as September Skies suggested in a post above, you can put your contact info, rather than towards the end
then put the actual release, including the 'heading' line, with the paragraph in brackets personalized with your 'quote', etc.
At the end, be sure to add a line stating that review copies are available upon request. If you do hear back from a contact and they ask for one, be sure to ask them if they'd like a PDF file sent to them via email. When Jenna gets back online, she is going to make the PDF Review Copy available to the authors so that they can send them on to contacts who request them. Just remember that this will be a review copy for the media and should not be distributed anywhere else.

JamieE
11-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Sorry to be technically deficient, but how do I add the button/banner to my site?

Jamie

Richard
11-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Copy the code snippets from the main SOS site, and paste them into your site's template where you want them to appear.

JamieE
11-02-2005, 05:53 PM
I did, but all that appeared was the code. Do I need to delete the beginning and ending brackets? I'm using Front Page, if that makes a difference.

On a separate note, anyone else from Texas that's a contributor?

Jamie

Richard
11-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Ah. You need to paste it where you want it to appear in the source code view, not the nice visual one.

JamieE
11-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Still didn't work, but I copied and pasted the banner and that seemed to work. Weirdness.

Thanks for your help!

Jamie

JamieE
11-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Since some local papers will print the news release, I changed up the format and put the local information up top for that immediate grab:

Soon after Hurricane Katrina struck, Girl Scout leaders in North Texas galvanized their troops into action. Within hours, food and clothing drives were in place. Troops in far northeast Richardson (Plano ISD, Collin County) (Note: included the school district and county because Richardson and Plano both have local newspapers, and Collin County has its own section in the Dallas Morning News) filled over 80 boxes with donated goods and provided 40 backpacks filled with school supplies to students displaced by the hurricane. Their story is now part of the Stories of Strength anthology, a collection of over 100 uplifting essays, short fiction and poems on the theme of "strength." One hundred percent of proceeds go to disaster relief charities, including the Red Cross, Americares, and the Salvation Army.

Then included the rest of the release, adjusting the local paragraph:

Jamie Engle of Richardson, Texas is one of the writers whose work was chosen for Stories of Strength. She is one of the Girl Scout leaders responsible for the northeast Richardson Katrina Relief effort. Her essay “Relief Effort Blossoms” is included in the Strength of Community section of the anthology. "The generosity of people during the hurricane crisis inspired all who were involved in the relief effort. I hope reading their story will bring hope to others," said Engle.

And continued with the rest of the release.
Hope this helps someone else.

Jamie

JennaGlatzer
11-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Very cool. :) Please do feel free to tweak the release for your own local publications!

Ken Schneider
11-03-2005, 12:11 AM
remember gang, a press release should be for the most part a stilted, to the point, letter.

the press wants facts, not flash. i'm sure that anything you do will be okay.

the local redcross was sent their copy-press release- today, with phone call confirmation. i have offered them first chance at any press conference and publicity. then, the newspapers will receive press kits at the conference to report further.

ken

meryl
11-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Still didn't work, but I copied and pasted the banner and that seemed to work. Weirdness.

Thanks for your help!

Jamie

Try this entry -- I explained how to enter the code:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=351656&postcount=60 (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19942&page=3)

Also -- I'm in Plano, Jamie. Maybe we should combine our releases so the press can see there is more than one local? Anyone else from DFW?

mrs75
11-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Okay, I'm getting ready to send off press releases in my area to local papers, radio stations, and local television stations. Now, my question, I will also be sending out notices to local bookstores and libraries. When I send out to local bookstores and libraries shouldn't I send a press kit instead of just the release? Also, what should be included in my press kit besides the press release, and can anyone share samples of what they would include in a press kit? Your help will be very much appreciated.

Shwebb
11-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Look back on post #15--I posted the same question, and there's a brief discussion about what goes in it.

JamieE
11-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Here's a link to the front page article at North Texas e-News:

http://www.ntxe-news.com/index.shtml

If you're looking after Saturday, it will roll off this page and be on:
http://www.ntxe-news.com/artman/publish/article_29764.shtml

Jamie

mommie4a
11-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Very cool piece, Jamie - congrats!

JennaGlatzer
11-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Fantastic!

September skies
11-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Awesome!

ChunkyC
11-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Very nice, Jamie! :Clap:

maestrowork
11-08-2005, 07:38 AM

Thanks guys!

Either text within the email or PDF file. NEVER send unsolicited WORD or other file formats -- obviously because of virus threat. Most media would accept PDF. What's nice about PDF is that you get to keep the formatting, but it can't be altered and shouldn't contain any virus...

The subject line should contain the world "Press Release" and probably a headline to tell them, at a glance, what the press release is about. Media get thousands of press releases. Make yours stand out.

Also, do tweak it to suit your local news' needs. News media are looking for news, not just an "announcement of a book release." It must be news worthy, and yeah, must be factual and not "marketing" fluff. The fact that the book benefits disaster relief is good, but if you put a local news angle to it (Local author, etc.) then it becomes even more news worthy.

Shwebb
11-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks, Ray.

I've done both w/ mine--sent it in the body of the email and as an attachment. Since I've done up a great-looking news release (if I may say so!), I would like to preserve how it looks, but I don't know how to convert to PDF. It's not an option in my Word program.

Can someone please tell me how I can do that?

Kim Gogo
11-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks, Ray.

I've done both w/ mine--sent it in the body of the email and as an attachment. Since I've done up a great-looking news release (if I may say so!), I would like to preserve how it looks, but I don't know how to convert to PDF. It's not an option in my Word program.

Can someone please tell me how I can do that?

I believe that you have to have Adobe on your system. When Adobe is installed, you can either do a File, Save As and then select a pdf output. Or if it's installed, you should have a very obvious Adobe button on your menu that you can just press and it saves it as pdf. OR you can drag your word file over your Adobe shortcut and it will save it that way, too.

kim

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 07:01 PM
I believe that you have to have Adobe on your system.
Adobe ACROBAT, to be specific, or another program that can save a file in PDF format.

Since time is an issue, the quickest and easiest way might be for folks to download a free program like OpenOffice 2.0 (http://www.openoffice.org/) which can save files in PDF format. It handles Word documents very well, you should have no trouble opening your existing Word version of the press release and then saving it as a PDF. It's as simple as opening the file, then clicking the PDF button on the main toolbar and saving the file.

The only caveat is that OpenOffice is a big download, in the neighborhood of sixty megabytes. Definitely not for those on dialup. But what you get is a great office suite with a word processor, spreadsheet, vector drawing program and more.

The other option is to send your release to me or someone else who has a program that can create PDF's who'd be willing to do the conversion for you. I'd be happy to do it, just PM me.

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Just to show you ... I opened up my 'template' release in OpenOffice, and this is how it looks. All I had to do was click the PDF button (black arrow) and then 'Save' to get a PDF version with the same file name.

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Then, to make sure it converted properly (took about 2 seconds), I opened up the new file in Acrobat Reader, and voila. Looks pretty much the same, doesn't it?

Jean Marie
11-08-2005, 07:33 PM
It's magic, Chunky! Now, what can you do about getting some SOS contributors to "appear" in CT w/ me at Borders the first week of December???http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHail.gif

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 08:12 PM
If converting them to PDF would do it, it'd be a cinch. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Sarita
11-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Can someone tell me if this sounds good? I'm going to add info about the signing when I have details firmed up, but I'm sending this version to the bookstore.

Sara Spock, a State College, Pennsylvania writer, is among the contributors to Stories of Strength. Her short story "Where the Shrewsbury meets the Atlantic" highlights one man's view of strength. "I'm honored to be included in such a wonderful and inspiring project," says Spock.

ETA: Oh, I'd also like to convince the bookstore to buy the copies for the signing/reading. Any suggestions?

shelagh
11-09-2005, 01:25 PM
I've added the press release as a page on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stories_of_Strength

rtilryarms
11-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Shelagh that was genius. I didn't know we can do that.

meryl
11-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Talked to a marketing expert who thinks our PR is boring and I can see why he says that -- how many stories have you heard about Katrina and people helping out? How many stories have you heard about a community of writers?

The guy said to take advantage of the fact that I worked to lead a normal life in spite of my hearing loss. To me, it's not a big deal and I don't want to promote myself. But he says the media eats up stories like that.

The best I can think of is perhaps a few releases surrounding specific stories. I'm surprised Wil Wheaton hasn't mentioned the book in his blog. Anyone have bright ideas?

ChunkyC
11-09-2005, 07:24 PM
That's a good point, meryl. Personalize it. I'm going to try to incorporate how I finally found the strength to pursue my dream of becoming a writer and how it led to this.

shelagh
11-10-2005, 02:28 AM
Talked to a marketing expert who thinks our PR is boring and I can see why he says that -- how many stories have you heard about Katrina and people helping out? How many stories have you heard about a community of writers?

The guy said to take advantage of the fact that I worked to lead a normal life in spite of my hearing loss. To me, it's not a big deal and I don't want to promote myself. But he says the media eats up stories like that.

The best I can think of is perhaps a few releases surrounding specific stories. I'm surprised Wil Wheaton hasn't mentioned the book in his blog. Anyone have bright ideas?

Hi Meryl,

You made a very good point. Do you know if any of the contributors to SoS suffered because of a natural disaster (earthquake, fire, hurricane damage?)

I know that Jean Marie's friends lost family members on 9/11. Did any other authors go through a similar experience?

It would make the press release more interesting if we could include some information about authors who want to help disaster victims despite their own loss/damage to either their property or their family.

Shelagh

Btw rtilryarms, if you add a page to wikipedia.com you can edit the page and keep it up-to-date with new information.

Alphabet
11-10-2005, 03:04 AM
I'm not convinced. If any of our own stories of strength were so newsworthy they'd have been news already. More than that, I'm reluctant to elevate ourselves out of the ordinary - I think our being ordinary is our greatest strength - and what would be most inspirational to others. I don't want people to read and say 'oh well of course THEY did something, their background made them want to - WE don't need to budge off our arses though' no no no - I want people to read about what we are doing and say 'if that bunch of ordinary never did anythings got up and helped then I sure can too!'

shelagh
11-10-2005, 07:38 PM
I've added the contents of SoS to the wikipedia page:

Please check your links and either edit the link yourself (I think the pages can be updated by anyone) or, if that isn't possible and the link needs amending, please tell me and I'll fix it.

Shelagh

Shwebb
11-10-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm not convinced. If any of our own stories of strength were so newsworthy they'd have been news already. More than that, I'm reluctant to elevate ourselves out of the ordinary - I think our being ordinary is our greatest strength - and what would be most inspirational to others. I don't want people to read and say 'oh well of course THEY did something, their background made them want to - WE don't need to budge off our arses though' no no no - I want people to read about what we are doing and say 'if that bunch of ordinary never did anythings got up and helped then I sure can too!'Alpha, I don't completely agree. My own essay deals with handling depression, and it was a difficult story for me to submit, because (and I KNOW you understand this) I tend to be very private--and that includes being private w/ my family members. Some of them are going to be reading my essay and finding out for the first time the extent of my personal struggles. The fact that I'm trying to overcome my reticence to help others might be a bit more newsworthy in my local area.

At, least, I hope so, because since I've tried the official news release and have not gotten results, I'm ready to try an alternative--something to personalize the story for my hometown. At worst, we won't get any additional publicity and no one will know I stuck my neck out, anyway!

ChunkyC
11-10-2005, 09:18 PM
I think you're on the right track, Shwebb. Something people can connect with. I know what Alpha's getting at, we don't want to put something into our releases or pitches that might create distance rather than close the distance between ourselves and the reader. I don't think that will be a problem though, the anthology is filled from cover to cover with stories people can connect with. We just need to bring that out when talking about the book.

shelagh
11-11-2005, 03:46 PM
My family are full of surprises! I didn't know anything about this until a newspaper arrived in the post this morning with a note from my mother asking if I could find the reason my father was so chuffed! Well I'm chuffed too! Here is the result of one of the seven press releases I sent out. It appeared without anyone from the newspaper (Lancashire Evening Post) contacting me, so maybe there are a few more surprises in the press!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/shelagh/LEP_sos.jpg

rtilryarms
11-11-2005, 03:53 PM
shelagh,

That is beyond words.

cool

ChunkyC
11-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Awesome, Shelagh! Thanks for posting that pic. Whoohoo!

Alphabet
11-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Oh heavens!! Nobody said to send photos with the press releases - what a brilliant idea, it really makes it personal doesn't it!!! Congratulations Shelagh, and no wonder your dad is proud of you.

I quite feel like doing a little :banana: myself!

aruna
11-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Congrats, Shelagh! :Clap:I think I'll do the doggy-dance: :snoopy:

jdkiggins
11-12-2005, 12:58 AM
I passed this by CC before sending it out. I'll list the media sources I've contacted in the appropriate thread.

Joanne D. Kiggins of Economy, Pennsylvania is one of the writers whose work was chosen for Stories of Strength. Her essay “Perseverance” is included in the Strength to Start Over section of the anthology. “I’m honored to have my essay included in such a worthwhile project,” says Joanne. “If my essay is able to help people in need after a tragedy in their life, then my goal in writing has been achieved. For those who have been affected by disaster and those who read Stories of Strength, may they gather strength from all the writers’ works and the means to start over. I hope this project will make Beaver County proud!”

JamieE
11-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Meryl and I sent a joint release to the local paper. Here's a link to the front page story at Plano Star Courier:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15573902&BRD=1426&PAG=461&dept_id=528208&rfi=6

That's my husband loading the truck. They used a different picture in the print edition.

We're hoping the Dallas Morning News picks it up, but so far no bites.

Jamie

aruna
11-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Following Shelagh's example, I've added the press release to the Sussex page for Communigate; why not sign the guestboook!

http://www.communigate.co.uk/sussex/absolutewriters/index.phtml

biotales
11-22-2005, 03:40 AM
I am testing to see if this works... It was orignally posted on the other site....

I've set up the "Absolute Writers Voluntary Group" on the BBC/Lancashire website:

http://www.communigate.co.uk/lancs/...oup/index.phtml (http://www.communigate.co.uk/lancs/absolutewritersvoluntarygroup/index.phtml)

Please visit and, before you leave, add a message on the message board and sign the guestbook. Please tell everyone the title of your contribution to SoS and give a brief synopsis.

Thanks,
Shelagh

biotales
11-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Following Shelagh's example, I've added the press release to the Sussex page for Communigate; why not sign the guestboook!

http://www.communigate.co.uk/sussex/absolutewriters/index.phtml
thanks aruna for putting this up here... I posted a comment... as did a few others... thanks.

shelagh
11-24-2005, 10:45 PM
I am testing to see if this works... It was orignally posted on the other site....

I've set up the "Absolute Writers Voluntary Group" on the BBC/Lancashire website:

http://www.communigate.co.uk/lancs/...oup/index.phtml (http://www.communigate.co.uk/lancs/absolutewritersvoluntarygroup/index.phtml)

Please visit and, before you leave, add a message on the message board and sign the guestbook. Please tell everyone the title of your contribution to SoS and give a brief synopsis.

Thanks,
Shelagh
Thanks for posting this biotales. It was very kind!

I think that a community of writers gathering on a community website is the right place to be, so I've set up another one in Wales:

http://www.communigate.co.uk/wales/absolutewriters/index.phtml

Please sign the guestbook -- we need all the help we can get!

Shelagh :)

shelagh
11-30-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure if my thanks to everyone who signed the "This is Lancashire" guestbook were lost in the transfer or not, so I'll thank everyone again:

Thank you Carol, Yvonne, Charlie, Amy, Kim, Sharon, Vanessa and Mary.

This is Lancashire has had 159 visits
This is Sussex has had 92 visits
This is Wales has had 40 visits

I think visitors keep returning to "This is Lancashire" to check if there are any more guestbook entries! It really does make a difference and I would appreciate it if you would please sign the guestbook for Wales.

The sites cover the north and south of England and the whole of Wales.

Tonight a programme is scheduled on television (channel five, 8pm,) The Hurricane That Drowned New Orleans a documentary about Hurricane Katrina.

With such good media coverage of the disaster, we might be able to capitalise on getting the word out.

The Communigate websites give information about Stories of Strength and how people in the community can help (www.storiesofstrength.com/how-you-can-help/) by downloading posters to post around their communities.

Please encourage them by signing the guestbooks.

Thank you,

Shelagh :)

shelagh
12-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Thank you Frank!

shelagh
12-02-2005, 05:53 PM
At alphabet's request, the Hertfordshire communigate page has been deleted. I am about to delete the links to "This is Hertfordshire" from the previous posts.

Shelagh

shelagh
12-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks Jenny!

shelagh
02-13-2006, 01:03 PM
I've added the press release as a page on wikipedia:

This article was deleted and I requested an undelete. Yesterday, I created a new page, with a new format. After I'd set up the page, a mod requested a category for the page, which I then added. Maybe the article will remain this time:

Shelagh