PDA

View Full Version : Agent Has Not Acknowledge Receipt of Manuscript

ScribeLady
05-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Last week, I sent, via e-mail, a manuscript as an attachment to an agent at a major agency at her request. I also sent an e-mail advising her that the manuscript had been sent and that I hoped she received it. She has not acknowledged receipt.

I'm assuming that she has, indeed, received it, but, somehow, I wish she would acknowledge receipt. While I know agents are often overwhelmed with e-mail from authors, I'm a little upset that she has not been responsive.

Any comments?

Scribelady

Hathor
05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
If it makes you feel any better, a large majority of the submissions I've made have not been acknowledged upon receipt.

ChaosTitan
05-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Unless the agent agreed to acknowledge receipt, then they are not obligated to do so. I can't recall ever receiving one.

scope
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Last week, I sent, via e-mail, a manuscript as an attachment to an agent at a major agency at her request. I also sent an e-mail advising her that the manuscript had been sent and that I hoped she received it. She has not acknowledged receipt.

I'm assuming that she has, indeed, received it, but, somehow, I wish she would acknowledge receipt. While I know agents are often overwhelmed with e-mail from authors, I'm a little upset that she has not been responsive.

Any comments?

Scribelady

Do yourself a favor and get used to it. Are you sure she wanted the materal as an attachment, not pasted? Some (many) don't accept attachments and consider them to be "spam".

rwam
05-17-2011, 09:45 PM
I know the feeling, Scribelady. And although it may be tempting to reach out and 'ping' said agent....avoid this temptation at all costs - for now. Sure, you can satisfy your curiousity, but it may come across the wrong way. Have faith in the USPS & Internet - I'm sure at least one of your delivered manuscripts made it there safely. It may sound like an eternity, but you probably need to wait three months and send a polite 'status check' email.

Cyia
05-17-2011, 09:46 PM
She has not acknowledged receipt.

Most don't.

If you haven't heard back from her in three months, email and ask if she received it.

Whimsigirl
05-17-2011, 10:35 PM
They usually don't acknowledge receipt of anything, much less your manuscript. Don't worry though - if you're emailed her before, it's likely that the email went through. Good luck!

stormie
05-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Yep, many agents don't open requested material until they have time to review the ms. without too many interruptions, esp. with a full.

It would have bounced back to you if it didn't make it.

As others have said, it can take three months. Been there, done that. It's hard to wait, I know.

shaldna
05-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Most agents don't. And the ones who do usually have an automated system, so if you don't receive an automated response then the only acknowledgement you will receive will be in the form of a request for more or a rejection.

Susan Littlefield
05-17-2011, 11:32 PM
I posted this in another thread awhile back when another person said the same thing.

In some email programs, including Outlook Experss, which I use, there is an option to ask for a delivery reciept. Once the email is recieved at the email where you sent it, you get an automatic delivery receipt. The recipient does nothing and does not see it at all.

In the latest version of Outlook Express in your email you want to send, this option is one of the ribbons under Options. There are two check boxes, one to request a read receipt and the other to request a delivery receipt. You check the read receipt.

It works fine to make sure your manuscript was delivered and does not bug the recipient at all.

Jamesaritchie
05-18-2011, 12:02 AM
It may be two months before she even knows she has received it.

stormie
05-18-2011, 12:18 AM
It may be two months before she even knows she has received it.
Exactly. (Hey, I agree with you!)

MikeGrant
05-18-2011, 01:12 AM
When I email requested material, I always ask if the agent can please acknowledge receipt. To date, they've all done this very quickly without it being a problem.

Bushrat
05-18-2011, 02:31 AM
I had one out of the five agents I queried acknowledge that he received my ms.

Hathor
05-18-2011, 03:05 AM
Yes, I've had a few acknowledge receipt -- including one that months later claimed they didn't have it and I needed to resend (and presumably wait some more). :cry:

scope
05-18-2011, 03:37 AM
When I email requested material, I always ask if the agent can please acknowledge receipt. To date, they've all done this very quickly without it being a problem.

Re the above bolded, that's absolutey incredible! Out of curiosity, are these UK agents or US agents?

Becca C.
05-18-2011, 03:50 AM
Yeah, every time I've sent a manuscript, I've gotten a quick "Thanks for sending -- looking forward to reading it!" or something like that.

MikeGrant
05-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Re the above bolded, that's absolutey incredible! Out of curiosity, are these UK agents or US agents?

Both. I just ask them in the body of the email when I attach the material.