Re-query on a resurrected trunk novel - faux pas?

Mom

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling a bit conflicted on how to proceed with a particular trunk novel. It was one I wrote in 2005-06. I queried it off and on. Had a few nibbles (some full requests, some partials) but ended with no offers of representation. The last query sent to an agent for it was in 2008.

I've recently resurrected it, had some editing done to it, and I think I want to give it one last shot before I sent it to the trunk forever. I've got other projects that I am more excited about at the moment, so I won't be heartbroken if this book doesn't get out... but I still believe in the story and believe it has an audience.

My question is this: For those agents that rejected me before, should I even bother to re-query them? The essentials of the plot are the same - so if they didn't want it then, why would they want it now? But, then again, for some of those agents it's been 4-5 years since they original query was sent. Perhaps their needs or interests have changed?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I very much doubt that they would remember it, and the worst they can do is reject it again, right? But I'd say don't query the agents who rejected fulls and partials. They're more likely to remember it.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Becca. Query the MS, you never know it might fit the market now more than it did when you first queried 3 years ago. Good luck.

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Fewer and fewer agents read themselves in the beginning. Most have readers. If the manuscript is well written and the story in line with agent’s lit tastes, reader might request full. Only if full is outstanding (great story, great writing) will it go to agent who flips through, looking for reasons to reject. If only he can’t find them, will s/he start reading but will stop when interest is lost. Just because a partial or full was requested, doesn’t mean the agent even saw it (unless it’s an agent doing his own reading or his readers commented favorable). Most readers won’t stick around for years with same agent—they find better paying jobs.
I would say, rewrite your query, make it sound more timely and fire away…you never know. Good luck.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
I'm facing the same thing. In my case, I trunked my novel in '08 after two agents told me specifically why they were rejecting the 'very well written' story. After sitting on it for a couple years, I resurrected it and fixed (I think) both problems, hopefully to their satisfaction. To my preferred agent, I'm responding to her last email to me, hoping it will jog her memory, and bullet-pointing out what I fixed..."and would you please consider taking another look at it?". :) On the one who rejected my full via snail mail, I'll photocopy her letter to me and include that in with my snail mail letter to her.

I'm thinking that if they read your full AND complimented you AND told you why they were rejecting you, they will definitely at least vaguely remember your novel.

Best of luck....let us (or at least, me!) know how it turns out!

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Becca, also. The other option is to concentrate your time and energy on your new projects, and once you have an agent, you can pitch them the earlier novel.

Danthia

It depends on why they rejected it. If it was the idea, odds are it'll get the same response. If the writing wasn't up to pro level yet, and now it is, you might stand a shot.

Can't hurt to query. Worst case they say no. But I wouldn't try a third time if you revise again.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I think you can query away, but not let it stand in the way of other material you've completed and want to query. I can't imagine that more than a handful of the same agents who rejected the work in question are still with the same agencies.

Mom

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Becca, also. The other option is to concentrate your time and energy on your new projects, and once you have an agent, you can pitch them the earlier novel.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I'll ponder it. I've got a lot more interest and momentum tied up in another novel that is still in the first draft stage. It may have a better chance of landing an agent than the trunk novel.

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone!