PDA

View Full Version : RWA Golden Heart

lrs
10-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Well I have signed up to enter my manuscript in the Golden Heart for RWA. Anyone have any words of wisdom? I've never entered before. Does anyone know how many judges rate your work or does it just matter as to how many judges they have?

Vanessa
10-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Don't know anything about it, but here's wishing you the best of luck.

Susan Gable
10-30-2005, 06:24 PM
I believe there are 5 judges per entry. Let me go dig out one of my old score sheets. BRB. <G> Yep. Five judges per entry. The judges do NOT make any comments. You get a numerical score only.

Words of wisdom? Make your entry the absolute strongest you can, send it out with a kiss for luck, and then try your best to forget about it. (<snicker> Yeah, right. Okay, the truth is that the day that the calls for Rita & GH finalists go out, I doubt there's a member who's entered who doesn't know what's going on. Everyone is chewing their nails that day, being hopeful, then crashing to realism, then being hopeful, and being obsessive about the calls. Hey, we writers know how to do this entire emotional rollercoaster, obsessive thing really well. <G>)

I've been a Golden Heart finalist (that ms became my second book) and a Rita finalist (with my first book). It's very cool. :)

Just remember, though, it really is a crap-shoot. Not finaling doesn't mean your book/ms isn't good. When can you get five people together and have them all agree on a book? You might get a judge who really HATES the name of your heroine because that's the name of the tramp who stole her husband, and that could influence the way she judges your ms. She might even THINK she's being fair, but it's unconsciously influencing her.

That's why it's best not to get too keyed-up about it. That's why we all ride the roller coaster between the hills of "I believe in this book, and it's well done and maybe it has a shot" to "the reality of it is this book probably isn't going to final and I've got to deal with that."

LOL- Fun, huh? :)

I filled out my Rita entry last night and have the books all packaged up and ready to go.

Fingers crossed for everyone entering! We can have our own support group here the day the calls for finalists go out. <G>

Susan G.

Dawno
10-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Best wishes to you both, Irs and Susan!

Cathy C
10-30-2005, 08:37 PM
My RITA entries went out as well! Thankfully, I don't have to compete in the same category as Susan! :box:

Susan Gable
10-30-2005, 09:24 PM
My RITA entries went out as well! Thankfully, I don't have to compete in the same category as Susan! :box:

LOL. I do go up against some of my friends, and I always say that if I'm going to go down, I'd rather go down to a friend. <G>

Actually, the woman who beat me out for the Rita the year I was up in Best First Book - she and I subsequently became friends. :) Her book was incredible - I'd have had to vote for it over mine, too. And that sure made it easier to be a gracious loser. <G> I got stomped by something awesome. :)

She also let me hold her Rita for a few minutes and pretend. <G> How can you not become friends after that? LOL.

Good luck, Cathy!

Susan G.