PDA

View Full Version : Limiting agent choice based on next novel

Tromboli
05-17-2011, 12:05 AM
So, I have a question. I am working on a final revision of my YA fantasy novel and plan on submitting to agents during the summer (ish, depends on when I truly finish I guess). And recently I have been doing a lot research on agents.

As soon as I finish up with that novel and start submitting I will be working on a YA sci-fi romance, and that is the root of my question. If an agent specifically says they don't take sci-fi, should I skip that agent since I have an interest in sci-fi and plan on writing it in the future?

It's not a huge deal, I get that, I am just curious if it should play a role at all in my decision. It just worries me a little, thinking that it could effect our relationship down the road.

thothguard51
05-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Are you currently with an agent?

If so, speak to the agent about your next book and if they don't want to take it on, then there will be no hard feelings about finding another. They may even refer you to another agent within the agency or outside they agency they know. A referral is a good thing but if you don't ask, you will never know...

If you are currently not represented by an agent, then only submit to those agents who represent your genre. Many authors have multiple agents for various works and reasons.

JSSchley
05-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Tromboli,

I've dealt with that by simply putting the agents who don't handle my next project lower on my priority list. The novel I'm just starting to query is contemporary YA, my two next WIPs are contemporary adult. So an agent who reps both YA and adult novels gets higher ranking in my priority list. If I exhaust all of them, and somehow get repped by a YA-only agent, well...I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

aekap
05-17-2011, 12:50 AM
If you plan on writing a lot of sci-fi, then yes, I think you should look for agents that rep that as well as fantasy. Or at least move the non-sci-fi reppers further down your list.

That said, there are *plenty* of agents who are interested in both sci-fi and fantasy for YA, so you shouldn't have a problem coming up with a nice list of agents to query.

Becca C.
05-17-2011, 12:55 AM
If the agent is interested in YA, that usually means ALL YA unless they specify no YA sci-fi. Since YA sci-fi is really hot right now, I can't imagine any YA agent excluding it from their preferences :)

Tromboli
05-17-2011, 03:00 AM
Thanks everyone.
I just get nervous when I see an agent say they'll take basically anything but sci-fi thinking they won't like my next novel. I'm sure I'll be fine since it, while it does involves some very sci-fi-ish aspects (aliens, scienists etc), the main plot is basically a paranormal romance. I was mostly curious.

AlishaS
05-17-2011, 03:31 AM
Many agents I've heard try and represent Authors and not just books. So chances are, if you get an agent, even though their main intrest might not be, say, Sci-fi, they may still be willing to work with you on that. But of course, bring that up with the agent when you find one. I do know people who have different agents for different genre's though it's usually for Adult and one for MG... two very different things.

Bron
05-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm querying an adult novel now, but the next one I plan to write is YA. I'm doing what JS also suggested and putting agents that accept both genres at the top of my list. If I query all of them without securing representation, I'll move on to ones that only accept adult thrillers. I figure if I went to all the effort of writing the book, I may as well give it the best shot of finding an agent and publisher. If it does get published, the publisher will more than likely want me to crank out more of the same for a while to build an audience. If I do get the chance to write the YA, I can find another agent to rep it.