Looking for the right word

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a word (or concise phrase) that means "fellow speaker of one's native language." Do any come into mind?

The context isn't really important, but I wanted to write something about the feeling you have when you stumble across someone who speaks your mother tongue in a foreign country. And it's all coming out way too wordy.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, she will. Haha.

She's probably in bed by now, though. Damn Medi and her not staying up at unnatural hours to answer my questions.

I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow. Gah :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could just sort of half-wake her and whisper. She probably answers this kind of thing in her sleep....

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Lol. I'm guessing all that would get me is a well-placed slug in the face.

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
I went to Wiki (an unreliable source) and searched a few pages and found completely unrelated information that was still interesting to read. I personally see nothing wrong with "He speaks my mother tongue".

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
I went to Wiki (an unreliable source) and searched a few pages and found completely unrelated information that was still interesting to read. I personally see nothing wrong with "He speaks my mother tongue".

You're right -- that is fine on its own. But I was hoping to have a noun of some sorts to use in a simile. As in, "So-and-so experienced a perfectly melodious moment, like when you stumble across a speaker of your mother tongue in a foreign land." Something like that.

It's hella clunky right now, but that's the gist of it.

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
I'll bet waking Medi would've been more fun...

Now that you mention it, we really should develop a MediWiki to serve as a compendium of her vast stores of knowledge when she's either unavailable or indisposed.

Any volunteers?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're right -- that is fine on its own. But I was hoping to have a noun of some sorts to use in a simile. As in, "So-and-so experienced a perfectly melodious moment, like when you stumble across a speaker of your mother tongue in a foreign land." Something like that.

It's hella clunky right now, but that's the gist of it.

How about when you hear the words of your mother tongue, in a foreign land (sort of thing).

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
How about when you hear the words of your mother tongue, in a foreign land (sort of thing).

Hmmm... that's a good idea. I think I've been stuck on finding the right word for so long it's kept me from looking for a different solution.

Thanks for helping to jump start my brain :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... that's a good idea. I think I've been stuck on finding the right word for so long it's kept me from looking for a different solution.

Thanks for helping to jump start my brain :)

Yes, there'll be a way to phrase it that sounds perfect - it's a lovely concept, by the way. I remember the utter loneliness of being in a foreign country before I had any of the language, and the incredible effect of hearing English spoken up at the markets - and in an Australian accent, too.

It stopped being so magical once I had found my way into the local community and picked up enough of their language to get by - but those early days were so lonely and I really did react viscerally to hearing my own native language ;) You've really brought that back to me - it's a strong idea.

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there'll be a way to phrase it that sounds perfect - it's a lovely concept, by the way. I remember the utter loneliness of being in a foreign country before I had any of the language, and the incredible effect of hearing English spoken up at the markets - and in an Australian accent, too.

It stopped being so magical once I had found my way into the local community and picked up enough of their language to get by - but those early days were so lonely and I really did react viscerally to hearing my own native language ;) You've really brought that back to me - it's a strong idea.

Aww... thanks! I'm glad you can relate. I was lonely as Hell my first couple of months in China. And you're right how the visceral reaction to familiar words and sounds quickly fades once you've learnt the local language. In fact, hearing non-native English is kind of annoying to me now. Hahah. And now that I've acclimated I avoid foreigners here like the plague.

But it would've been nice when I had first arrived :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You could use camaraderie. As in, you feel a sense of camaraderie when you hear even a stranger use your native tongue.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a word (or concise phrase) that means "fellow speaker of one's native language." Do any come into mind?

The context isn't really important, but I wanted to write something about the feeling you have when you stumble across someone who speaks your mother tongue in a foreign country. And it's all coming out way too wordy.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)
If you're talking about someone living in a foreign land, you could use something like I felt a sense of nostalgia when I heard a Hungarian voice in the crowd.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
what's wrong with countryman? The language bit is sort of implied there.

Also, which country? Some countries have specific words.

Deleted member 42

All the racket in here woke me up --

You lot are utterly charming but you have an inflated opinion of my abilities.

There's a Yiddish word and concept--lantzman.

It's literally "lands man" but it encompasses the feeling of recognition you have with a shared culture in a strange world.

It's usually used in a semi-kidding fashion by one Jew to another, in a Gentile surrounding, but I've heard it used by non-Jews fairly often.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
what's wrong with countryman? The language bit is sort of implied there.

Also, which country? Some countries have specific words.
it's sexist ;). Policeman became Police officer. Mailman because Letter Carrier etc.

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me if someone uses the -man suffix.

And letter carrier for mailman? Really? What about when they carry parcels and--

We call 'em posties over here.

Anyway: compatriot.

Or tongue-partner. :e2brows:

Deleted member 42

Paisan is similar to landsman, though used with Spanish and Italian speakers.