Published or Critique Group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
My apologies if this has already been addressed here. (If there is a discussion going, please post the link.)

There seems to be a ton of writing websites out there (including this one) where you can post your work for critique and help. Is that not considered published online or is this considered to be like a critique group? I guess I'm just wondering about whether it is better not to share online for critiques and such.

Fishmonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ekaterinasedia.com
As long as it is password protected so that access is restricted to members (e.g., AW, Critters, OWW etc) it's not considered published. Also, such content cannot be googled or otherwise uncovered by non-members.

SusanR

Registered
Reaction score
Fishmonkey said:
As long as it is password protected so that access is restricted to members (e.g., AW, Critters, OWW etc) it's not considered published. Also, such content cannot be googled or otherwise uncovered by non-members.

I don't know about that.

The other day I googled "Shelly Kahn" my protag's name, to see if I'm stepping on any real person's toes. (ie a medical examiner of that name) What I got was a link to the SYW forum here, where I'd posted a bit for critique! That made me a bit uneasy about posting anything else from WIP. It's not so much that I'm worried about anybody "stealing" my work--I actually understand what you've all said about how unlikely that is--it's more I'm worried about a clear road to publication when the manuscript is finished and submitted.

Any wise thoughts about this from the more experienced?

SusanR

CampCreek

Texestentialist
Registered
Reaction score
Susan, are you sure it was a link to the SYW forum and not the "First Sentences" thread? I just did that search and that's all I came up with, a link to a list of your posts with a link to the "First Sentences" thread. I even clarified the search by putting absolutewrite in there with it and still that's the only link that came back.

Storyteller, Fish is right from what I've found ~ so long as it's behind a password, you're okay. I'd still probably go back after you have the critiques you want and delete the piece just to be safe. I don't know yet if this site frowns on that or not, but I wouldn't think so. If you want more info, search this site or the 'net for "First Print Rights" and "First Publication Rights".

SusanR

Registered
Reaction score
Josephine, thanks for the information. I'll go back and double-check that link. I could have just panicked...:) And I will search for the info on First Publication Rights. I need an education. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

SusanR

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Gordon Van Gelder of the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction has answered this question on the Nightshade Books message boards. If the piece is on a password protected site then it is not considered published. If that's good enough for GVG then it's good enough for me.

CampCreek

Texestentialist
Registered
Reaction score
No problem, Susan!:tongue Just keep in mind I'm a newbie, too, so if a seasoned vet tells you different, then believe them. ;)

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, folks. Just keep in mind that this forum has been around a long time, and nearly every question related to writing has been asked and answered a dozen times. Still, it is often impossible to read back through all the threads and find the exact answer you need, without expending a hell of a lot of time and patience.

So, ask away and never apologize, regardless of how many times you think the question may have been asked before. Sure, it may aggravate someone to see a redundent question, but relief is only a 'click' away. :)

Uncle Jim's thread in the Writing Novels forum is a heck of a resource for newcomers to this board. You may find answers to questions that you never knew you had.

Status
Not open for further replies.