Lose of Voice and Treatment

cjcassada

Registered
Reaction score
In my next novel one of the main characters is a rock singer and is involved in a car accident and suffers a head injury which causes her to lose her voice.

My question is what types of treatment is there for regaining your voice? What techniques are used in voice therapy? And is it possible for someone to return to singing normally?

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I had a car accident with a head injury and I lost the ability to see or speak for several weeks. Eventually, my voice returned and then my sight returned, over the period of several weeks. This was almost 40 years ago, though, and I don't remember anyone doing anything to help me -- I think the doctors believed that I would be permanently affected, but it turned out to be psychological/trauma. It was a big surprise to everyone when I started talking again, though I was talking at the level of a small child at first and then gradually my vocabulary returned. I still have trouble with memory and words will drop out of my head with no notice. PM me if you want more info.

ETA: I had been a singer and actor -- I never returned to either.

Last edited:

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Not sure if this works for your situation, but there are types of aphasia that make it difficult or impossible to speak, but a person can still sing fluently. Very interesting stuff. Look up Broca's aphasia.

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
When a person suffers a traumatic brain injury they can have bruising or intra-cranial pressure which can cause the speech centre on the right side of your brain to dysfunction. There are various types of aphasia - expressive aphasia (motor or Broca's aphasia) is when a person understands written words or verbal language but cannot talk. Auditory aphasia, which is an inability to comprehend the spoken word. Global aphasia is when the person suffers complete sensory and motor dysfunction. Receptive aphasia is a sensory block.
Speech and Langauge Therapists can help by using exercises and alternative methods of communication, but it all depends on the type of injury and if the bruising subsides or the intra-cranial pressure is treated with steriods (Mannitol) or burr-holes, then the speech centre can recover in time. Google any part of this and I'm sure you'll get more definitive answers.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
IIRC Meatloaf went through all kinds of weird therapy to regain his voice. You might see if there any any interviews with him that mention it.

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, the speech centre is usually on the dominant hemisphere, which is the left side. My apologies.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean that the voice loss is as a result of a brain injury, or as a result of an injury to the larynx or pharynx? Because those would have very different treatments.