Cover Article/PET AGE

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Yippee!! My piece on aquarium filters is the cover article for the November issue of PET AGE! The title is Aquarium Filters for Today. Here's a link if you want to see: http://www.petage.com/index.asp

Click on 'current issue' to see it and read the table of contents. The picture is kind of small (at least on my screen) but you can see all the purty colors and fishies. :)

Oh, yeah, and I got a promotion, back a few weeks ago. I'm now a contributing editor to PET AGE. :D

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Anne,

I just saw your Pet Age cover debut - My! How impressive! - Especially the topic - aquarium filters!!!

Congrats!!! :banana:

Now, for my writers questions, how long did it take to get a response and then to make it to publication? (within 3 months)

Thanks

Reece

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hi Reece,

Thanks! :)

Actually, that's my second cover for them--the first was a couple of years ago for a piece I titled Bodacious Budgies. (I loved that title!) I got my first PET AGE assignment in December 2001 and have been writing for them ever since.

Actually, since I get regular assignments from them, I'm afraid my responses to your questions won't be too helpful, but here goes!

We work about three months in advance, and I always know which issues my stories will be in. I'm getting ready to turn in my February 2006 assignment later today, and already have an assignment for March 2006. So this situation isn't at all like when you send in a query, get the go-ahead, submit a story, and then wait for it to be published.

But, if you're interested in PET AGE, here's how I got my toe in the door: I sent the editor a nice, detailed letter of introduction, included a couple of relevant clips, and said that I was available for assignments. I got an assignment right away.

PET AGE is a pet industry trade pub. If you're interested in writing for any of the pet trades, you might try getting in the way I did. And of course, others may have different suggestions. Maybe someone else will chime in. :)

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Got my copy of the magazine today. The cover is beautiful! Platys, swordtails, and powder blue gouramies swimming around--three of my favorite freshwater species. :)

Last edited:

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Anne!! I hope Rio isn't too jealous of those fish...