It's baby bird season. Pet owners and everyone else, please take note.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spring is in full swing here in North Carolina, and we've had some storms this weekend. That means all the young fledglings are on the ground a bit early, and not only do they not comprehend danger just yet (give them a few days, they'll suddenly get it), but they can't really fly (again, give them a few days).

This means there are a lot of susceptible babies on the ground, and that's just birds. Bunnies and squirrels are also at risk.

For those of us with domestic dogs and cats, it is up to us to minimize the impact they have on wildlife populations. Tonight I had to save a baby bird from both my cat and my curious dog when we were out for a walk. (The cat walks with us, and though I was making sure he didn't go into the woods where I knew there were babies, he found a bird out in the lawn). The cat did bite the bird, which is no good.

IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE, READ THIS: A small bird/mammal that is scratched or bitten by a cat (or dog) WILL go septic and die. It NEEDS medical attention as soon as possible within 24 hours or less. The antibiotics are very effective in killing the infection, but left untreated the bacterial infection will kill the animal within three days or less. This can be within hours for a stressed and highly injured animal.

If you can, keep your cats indoors, or at least minimize their outdoor time. Not only is this good for your cat's health and lifespan, many a baby (and adult) bird will be grateful. There is an article here.

If you have dogs, keep them on a leash in parks and wildlife areas. In your own yard, walk around as often as possible to check for baby birds (preferably with your dog still contained). While this may not be practical all the time, at LEAST do so after any rain or wind storms when young fledglings fall from the nest early.

Baby songbirds up until mid-fledgling age do not have the instinct to run. They sit still and hope to be passed by since they can't get away effectively anyways.

If you find a baby bird and you are certain a cat or dog has not touched it, leave it be or move it to a safer (nearby) spot. Young fledglings have their wing feathers poking out from long shafts, and older fledglings are fully feathered. Their parents will come feed them (You can watch from a distance- they'll be by every 15 to 30 minutes usually). There is the option to make a fake nest and put it and the bird up a little ways in a tree, but an older fledgling will jump out of the nest very quickly.

If a bird or mammal does need help, get it in a suitably small box, with air holes, and put it in a QUIET area. Don't let all the kids peek at it after you've got the animal in the box- teach them respect rather than fulfilling their curiosity. Show them pictures online.

Do not offer the animal food or water. Get it to a rehabilitator. This means calling around and then driving it to them. Yes, this is a pain. I have to do this tonight, driving over an hour one way, when I'd hoped to be in bed by 9pm and not 11pm or later. I'm leaving just as soon as I hit send and put my dinner in the fridge. But if I don't go, the bird is going to have a miserable death. Being inconvenienced is a small price to pay.

Lastly, I believe it is our responsibility to do what we can for the ecosystems and animals around us. Take steps to help wildlife. If you can volunteer at a rehabilitators, do so. Plant native plants instead of exotics- this also benefits you as these plants do better in their native environments. Less lawn and more native flowers shrubs and trees means less lawn care. Put out bird food all year.

And keep those dogs and cats away from wildlife to the best of your ability.

Links:

http://www.wildliferehabber.org/

http://wildliferehabinfo.org/ (also has articles, and what to do if you find 'orphaned' wildlife.)

You may also find directories by state, or may have luck calling a local (or not so local) dog/cat ER clinic.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I hope the birdy does well!

I was just outside fixing up as many garden areas as I can for my birdies :) I have a ton this year already.

I'll definitely keep an eye on my doggies (they don't even go for mice without my permission, though... it's really very sweet!)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the good info, Fenika. I hope your baby bird friend does okay.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The baby bird (a titmouse, as I thought) was delivered safely. I spent an hour chatting and swapping stories with the wildlife rehabber. He was a nice guy. He's going to stabilize the little one and then pass it on to a larger rehabber.

He encouraged me to get involved again with wildlife rehab, so when I get to Pennsylvania and get settled, I will :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love Cedar Waxwings. I was lucky enough to care for a few fledglings at the wildlife rehab. They are so neat. Whenever I see them in the wild I get so excited.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I love Cedar Waxwings. I was lucky enough to care for a few fledglings at the wildlife rehab. They are so neat. Whenever I see them in the wild I get so excited.

They are my favorite! Seeing, and hearing, a flock of them just makes the day special. Thanks for a great thread, Fenika.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I miss the waxwings! I haven't seen any since we moved south. :(

But we have mockingbirds, tons and tons of mockingbirds. I love a good mockingbird.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have two baby hummingbirds just outside our front door. This is at least the 4th time this nest has been used over the years. We always know when new ones have hatched by the poop on the stoop, and the projectile pooping on the front door :D

In the yard we have Gambel's Quail, mockingbirds, white wing doves, some kind of largish black noisy birds, the occasional red-tailed hawk, sometimes Gila woodpeckers, and some kind of little bird.

Our cats are strictly indoors, no dogs. But there are wandering cats and the very occasional coyote.

Oh, and there are cottontails.

MM

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
This is astonishing because yesterday my daughter discovered a baby sparrow in our back yard. It wasn't injured, it just seemed unsure of what to do. I very gently took it to our front yard (we have 2 dogs) and it took shelter under our star jasmine bush. Hopefully, a happy ending.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I know already, I've been chased down the street by a mama goose, because she got cranky cause I walked a bit close to her gaggle. Then a mama duck and her 4 little brats followed me to the door demanding something to eat. In addition my golden retriever now thinks she's part of the foul family's living in my apartment complex. She has adopted all the little rascals as her own.....

...and there is no shortage of duck shit and goose tubes around here.....

I'm starting to rethink this whole be nice to birds thing.....

Pistol Whipped Bee

Now what?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenniferplace.wordpress.com
This in no way pertains to your post. Yesterday my son watched a small bird careen around a huge tree trying to escape a hawk with a wing span of about three feet one second behind it. Right in front of my son the hawk caught the bird and flew up the tree with it. From the way he described it - it sounded pretty violent.

:/

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This in no way pertains to your post. Yesterday my son watched a small bird careen around a huge tree trying to escape a hawk with a wing span of about three feet one second behind it. Right in front of my son the hawk caught the bird and flew up the tree with it. From the way he described it - it sounded pretty violent.

:/

Not violent, just nature's course. I imagine it must be so hard for wildlife photogs and documentary filmakers to not interfere or try to save smaller animals, especially babies, from predators. But, it is the way it is supposed to be. Nature's course seems cruel at times, but it is crucial to the equalibrium of our planet. You know what isn't? Us. Scary.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, nature's course and part of the balance. Once when hand walking my horse in a large cow pasture a small raptor swept up from behind us (using us as cover) and right into a loose flock of birds. It happened so fast, I have no idea if he caught his prey. For his effort, I hoped so, even though I felt bad for the songbirds.

As for waterfowl crap- It's not aesthetic, but it's mostly grass/plants and it's important fertilizer. We can't have everything neat and tidy and drive nature back to the inhospitable places we don't want to settle.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My neighbor across the street is crazy for bird-watching. She has all sorts of feeders and birdhouses. Beside her is wild land that I own that backs into huge woods. It's a great habitat for birds!

Across the street you have me and my house and my neighbor with horses. We have too many mice. Feed in the barn is part of that problem, and we try to take care of the situation naturally (this land also backs up to thick woods, so predators aren't scarce).

So, at work, when a HUGE black snake crawled up scaring everyone, I begged and pleaded to be allowed to take it home with me. We put him in an empty watercooler jug. He was getting on four feet long, so it was exciting :D This was an office building, so it was odd to find him out front.

I let him go back at home, so pleased with how it turned out.

The next day, my poor neighbor with the horses found him in her azaleas and freaked out. Oops. Note to self: warn neighbors when letting loose snakes over three feet or so ;)

Within a week, he went over to where all the birds were at the feeders across the street, darn him!

He got killed. Bird lady chose the birds. Tough call, though, eh?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poor snake! While they will eat eggs and young, they are still a part of a balanced ecosystem. I found one eating my guinea eggs years ago and shrugged it off. The snake prolly never had it so good.

Bettie, keeping your cat in is a good thing. She's safer that way.

Dharma

Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, you can save a lot of money on cat food if you do let them out...

What?

Don't look at me like that.

At the rate our great huntress kitty kills the local chipmunk population, you'd think she'd never eat a morsel of cat food, but alas that it not the case.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, if even a few cats had thumbs, we'd all be beyond screwed. ;)

When I was growing up, my cats were mostly outdoor cats. Cali learned to jump up and ring the doorbell. It took my mom a few times to figure out that it was in fact the cat. A few years later, Cali preferred the back door. It had no door bell. So Cali learned to knock. Not tap. Knock.

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Cats with thumbs...shudder. If you think raccoons are bad, they ain't got nuttin on the devious feline mind. Hmm, I'm sensing a story coming on.