Blurbs/Endorsements

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
I've managed to get a few good endorsements but they are (so far) all in email correspondence. Even when the majority of my communication has been by letter!

As I continue to go about collecting the level of endorsements I wish to have before beginning my agent search, I am quite able to tell one that I have anothers endorsement already, and have never been challenged for proof - so right now it isn't an issue.

But as mine is a non-fiction book I most often will need to send proposal and cover-letter, so will I need signed paper copy proof of endorsements in that proposal, or just supply (and seek) if asked?

I've always requested a paper copy each time, but each one has somehow overlooked the request, and I can tell you I'm a very very lucky person to have the endorsements I've managed at all, and am afraid to rock the boat too much.

So, if I do need the signed copies then how late in the game can I leave it (for those that miss/forget my first request) - could it be as late as 'when publisher shows genuine interest' or must it be 'before even thinking of contacting an agent' ?

E.g.. I just feel it could be easier to be able to say 'great news! I've got the interest of ABC {agency/publisher} but they've asked me to prove your kind endorsement for 'DEF GHIJK'. Would you be able to send me in writing etc....'

Advice from agents, publishers, or authors who have met this situation most welcome.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
When you say "endorsement", Alphabet, do you mean that [insert name of famous author/expert here] has read the completed book and has offered to provide a cover quote upon publication? I don't know that this will be terribly helpful in the agent search, except to say that the book might possibly have a higher potential for quick sale to a publisher because Dr. Ruth or Bill Clinton, or even Barbara Bush, etc. has blessed it. Occasionally, an agent will consider it a selling point because the publisher can count on the support of that famous person to help sell the book to the distributors and to the public.

But the sheer volume of endorsements doesn't have that much meaning even to the publisher, unless every single famous person really IS a Clinton or some such that is willing to have their name placed prominently on the cover or in advertising. Do you have that level of commitment from these folks? That is more telling than the method they've given permission for use of their name in connection with your book.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
For the sake of the example, yes, lets assume these people are the type you believe might be useful.

And yes, I think the reality is quite close to that too, except for the 'will promote on my behalf' (may I do a LOL there?).

Put most simply, I lacked a 'platform' or 'credentials' for my writing and felt my query would therefore fail to attract agent interest and my manuscript would never get seen - so I went seeking the next best thing, which was someone else's platform (value recognition) and someone else's credentials - only I sort of did it in overdrive - well why not!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Heh. Nothing wrong with the attempt, certainly. What you might consider is something we tried on a non-fiction where we had little credentials. We wrote a divorce workbook that went beyond a typical manual. But neither I nor my co-author are attorneys. We lacked credentials in the primary field. But one of the sections of the book was on the symptoms of stress and how divorce can affect your ACTUAL health. For that section, we wrote the information and ran it past an M.D. with background in stress-related disability. She gave us permission to write "By: XXX, with special thanks to XX Green, M.D." The M.D. on the cover got the initial query grabbed by more than one editor (although all declined to publish because it really IS a workbook, with NCR forms and zippered pockets and the like, which is very expensive to produce.)

Still, it's something to consider. Is there one area in your book where you can provide a "special thanks" that could appear on the cover to validate your work?

Or, maybe Andy will have a better idea of what might grab his attention.

Last edited:

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the idea. It wouldn't apply to what I'm doing, but I'm sure it will be a great help to many.

I'm 95% certain that the endorsements I currently have will be enough to cause most agents (of those that want this type of manuscript) to fall off their seat with 'enthusiasm for the project' - at least enough to read the full - and that's all we really want isn't it!

Actually at this stage my reason for delaying contacting agents is somewhat changed - I actually want the freedom to try for specific endorsements that may take some time to get and may even never be got - but I want to try for them, and I'm worried that an agent would rush me and tell me I didn't stand a chance and to hurry up and start the submissions process at which point I'd lose all hope of getting the type of endorsement I most want. -

Well, I don't stand any chance beyond the fraction of a chance that actually asking affords, and sometimes that's all that is needed - just sometimes. I'm very fortunate in having an extremely short manuscript too, it gives me that extra edge, perhaps?

Yep, my question relates simply to what form of proof is necessary to be provided and what stage it would most likely be needed to be produced. But I think it is great if the thread wanders - I love it when that happens, that's when you start to learn what you really need to know!

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Al,

I recently got a relatively famous writer in my field to give me a blurb for the back of my book. When the time came, I just forwarded his email to my publisher. Never did get anything in the regular mail. And the blurb was published as is.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
I've just got nothing to say to that at all.....

because I'm too busy :banana: :snoopy: :thankyou:

I really think someone must have :Fairydust 'd me.