PDA

View Full Version : Under 18 self-publishing on Kindle?

LadyA
05-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Hello, just a little question - I was a bit confused whe reading the self-publishing kindle T&Cs - do you have to be 18 or over to publish your ebook/kindle book?
Please don't all tell me I shouldn't even try because of my age/inexperience, it's only for fun ;)

Thankyou! x

movieman
05-13-2011, 10:51 PM
I haven't read their terms, but aren't there legal issues with under-18s agreeing to contracts in America?

Medievalist
05-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Minors can't sign contracts, and that means that there are potential problems wrt to copyright, among other issues.

LadyA
05-13-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm in England, does that make a difference? It's just I know under 18s can sign agreements with agents (there are several traditionally pubbed people on here who sold their first book under the age of 18) for actual, paper and card books? thanks x

mscelina
05-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Under 18s in the US who publish have to have their parents sign the contracts. Minors are not legally permitted to enter into contracts of any type in the US--for their own protection.

According to the Amazon self-publishing legal section at https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=APILE934L348N

"...4.1 Eligibility. In order to participate in the Program you must: (a) have an active Program account; and (b) be at least 18 years old or the legal age of majority in your place of residence..."

I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you have an adult look through the contract--your parents, for example--because the Amazon/Kindle self-publishing contract is difficult to understand and full of legalese.

shaldna
05-14-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm in England, does that make a difference? It's just I know under 18s can sign agreements with agents (there are several traditionally pubbed people on here who sold their first book under the age of 18) for actual, paper and card books? thanks x

You're still a minor, and so you will need an adult - parent or guardian - to sign any legal documents on your behalf.

You can still get published, but you just need an adult to sign.

gothicangel
05-14-2011, 12:39 PM
When you say under 18, how under 18 are you?

Are we talking 17 or 14?

LadyA
05-14-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm 17 - I know I should probably wait, but 18 is so far away! ;)

KevinMcLaughlin
05-14-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm 17 - I know I should probably wait, but 18 is so far away! ;)

I think every 17 year old feels that way. ;)

You've got two choices, really. Get your parents to upload the stuff to their account now (you can get listed as author; just need to upload it through their account, effectively making your parent the publisher). Or wait however many months til you're 18 and try it then.

There's a lot you can do in the meantime. Write more... Maybe join a workshop (Critters or Online Writer's Workshop worked for me, or here perhaps) or get some beta readers. Work at learning more craft. Learn more about best practices for self publishing.

Then when you turn 18, you'll be better prepared.

There's really no rush though. It's not going away; it'll still be there. ;)