PDA

View Full Version : High School Class Reunion

DwayneA
05-13-2011, 10:03 PM
This month, my class is having a reunion which I am definately going to go to. It'll be interesting to see how my former classmates are doing and what their lives are like ten years after finishing school.

There's going to be a catered supper, dancing, a slowpitch game, and old school trivia.

I was wondering if anyone here also could share their experiences with reunions. What can I expect? Do I need to dress fancy?

alleycat
05-13-2011, 10:08 PM
No, you don't need to dress "fancy". A sports jacket is enough, with or without a tie; or just a nice pair of pants and a sports shirt. Your choice.

AlanF
05-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi DwayneA!

You should be fine just being yourself. Expect a few, if not more changes in the lives of your former classmates--life happens. Enjoy yourself and safe travels.

shadowwalker
05-13-2011, 10:13 PM
I've been to a few. Mostly it was just seeing how much fatter and balder the 'kids' were :tongue The supper and dance were 'fancy dress', although the usual "I'm a rebel!" types dressed down. Usually after the dance, we'd end up at somebody's farm for more drinking and gabbing. Other activities were typically casual. The longer after graduation the more pictures of kids and grandkids were passed around, and the sadder it was, seeing how some classmates were going downhill, and how many were no longer with us.

The last one I went to was the 25 year - don't know if I'll go to any more.

alleycat
05-13-2011, 10:23 PM
The last one I went to was the 25 year - don't know if I'll go to any more.
My high school class had one of those a few years ago. I didn't go, but they posted pictures of the event on the Internet. My first thought was "Who are all those old people?" Oh! People my age!

What's really hard to take for one of those kinds of reunions is if the class also posts a "In Memorial" page. I graduated with a very large class . . . and there were about 60 or 80 people who had died, most of which I didn't know about.

rhymegirl
05-13-2011, 10:57 PM
I went to my fifth and tenth year reunions.

I went to my fifth alone and I drank a lot so don't remember much about what happened.

The tenth I went to with my husband so that was nice. When the people at the greeter table tried to match me with my high school yearbook photo they couldn't so I was real happy about that.

Maryn
05-14-2011, 01:08 AM
I went to my 20th. I won't be going to another one. To my surprise, the old cliques re-established their exclusionary selves immediately, so that while I did renew acquaintances with many of the nerds, I still left feeling snubbed. Not cool.

I looked great, though!

Maryn, whose class no doubt had the 30th and 40th without her

William Haskins
05-14-2011, 03:56 AM
i hired a hooker to go as me, post-gender reassignment.

now the former football players keep texting me.

rhymegirl
05-14-2011, 04:50 AM
i hired a hooker to go as me, post-gender reassignment.

now the former football players keep texting me.

That's what you get.

Caitlin Black
05-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Technically my 10th reunion should be this year sometime. I don't imagine I'll be going...

Frankly, the only reason I'd consider going is in a vain attempt to get some action. And I couldn't get laid in High School to save my life, so somehow I think "High School Reunion" isn't the best place to try...

I hold no friendship with any of my old school people.

Alan Yee
05-14-2011, 09:23 AM
I only graduated high school last year, but I'm still curious about what my 10-year high school reunion will be like. Not sure if I'll go when the time finally comes. I do sort of want to know who ended up doing what, who married whom, who got fat, who got knocked up, etc.

backslashbaby
05-14-2011, 09:48 AM
10th was boring and small, but the 20th was really, really fun. So many more people came out. Honestly, it's like I met most of them for the first time, because I don't remember them at all from school and vice versa.

I did enjoy hearing what folks were up to who I did remember. A lot of them were just kinda boring, frankly :) Like the 10 year reunion. Old friends were great to see and catch up with, of course.

I think if my class hadn't been so large, I might have found it too boring to drop the money for it.