It's too quiet here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like we need a gay pride parade marching through this subforum! Pride season is nearly upon us and I am feeling terribly proud :D

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's almost exactly a month away from the Pride Parade here.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I think my local one is in November...

But I did see something on the News tonight which made me angry.

Okay, so it was supposed to be a sweet thing. In a country with no legal gay marriage, there were about 20 or so couples (in my home city) who found a gay minister to marry them in public, even though it wouldn't be legal. They were going to draw up paperwork anyway, and march down to City Hall and hold a rally to try to get equal rights. It's commendable, and I was initially proud to be an Adelaidean.

But then the angry mob came along. Some group affilliated with a Free Christian Church (I think that was the name) were yelling in the gay couples' faces about sin and going to Hell, yelling out things from the Bible, and some more aggressive things to boot. One gay woman got hurled out of a wheelchair. A WHEELCHAIR.

It was a protracted encounter, and the Police had to be called in.

It made me furious and frustrated, and ashamed of my city (even though it's not really the city's fault).

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still lurking around, but I've mostly been trying to avoid forums for a while because I spend too much time on them when I should be writing, exercising, doing household stuff, or chatting and gaming with friends.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
sthlmpride.jpg

There you go. :) Now who gets the music going?

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Some group affilliated with a Free Christian Church (I think that was the name) were yelling in the gay couples' faces about sin and going to Hell, yelling out things from the Bible, and some more aggressive things to boot. One gay woman got hurled out of a wheelchair. A WHEELCHAIR.

It was a protracted encounter, and the Police had to be called in.

It made me furious and frustrated, and ashamed of my city (even though it's not really the city's fault).

Yeah, it's not the city. It's the world.

Since the beginning of time, people have felt justified in doing the most heinous things in the name of God. I doubt that will ever change. We just have to hope that fewer and fewer people in upcoming generations believe this way, so that they become a tiny minority.

Shelley

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Not wanting to sound ignorant, but what exactly makes that a bi-pride bracelet?

I'm assuming it has something to do with the gemstones...

*confuzzled*

It's gorgeous, anyway. :)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Not wanting to sound ignorant, but what exactly makes that a bi-pride bracelet?

I'm assuming it has something to do with the gemstones...

*confuzzled*

It's gorgeous, anyway. :)
Generally speaking, pink, blue and purple are used in bisexual symbols. I think that blue is suppose to mean straight, pink is for gay and purple represents bi.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ah okay. Thanks.

I was thinking of the old, "Blue = Boy", "Pink = Girl" thing. I couldn't really figure out specifically what Purple was supposed to stand for.

So thanks for clearing that up. :)

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
The first Bi Pride Flag was unveiled on Dec 5, 1998.

The pink color represents same sex attraction (gay and lesbian), the blue represents attraction to the opposite sex (straight) and the resultant overlap color purple represents sexual attraction to both (bi).
Quote taken from here.

That bracelet came up on a search for "bi pride", but yeah, it doesn't really shout "bi pride", especially if you don't know anything about what the colors symbolize. I would still wear it, though. :D It's pretty, and to me, it means something.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Sometimes you just need a quiet day. Today it's raining, my son is sleeping in a swing, my wife is watching a movie on her PHONE, and I'm traversing the internet in my own little celebration because I'm getting PUBLISHED! And since I'm not getting paid, the only people who I know will really appreciate the news are on the writing forums. :) It's weird because my first published story is something I thought would never happen: 1. it's non-fiction and 2. it is clearly written by a gay person. I have always been afraid to write anything GLBT, and turns out it's going to be out there right from the start. And I think, in the end, that's the best way to do it.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

Yesterday I was watching my favorite kids cartoon, "The Mighty B". The two sibling main characters, a boy and a girl, had switched outfits and were impersonating each other. But Portia, the resident mean girl, decided she had a major crush on the girl-in-drag because she looked like a rather cute boy. At the end of the episode, the girl discovered Ben and Bessie had been impersonating one another, and announced she was going to tattle. I was really cringing just waiting for the homophobia joke to come and ruin this show forever for me.

But then Ben said, "Wait! If you tell on us, everyone will know that you had a crush on Bessie!" Portia thought for a minute and said, "Everyone will know I had a crush on Bessie? ..................Everyone will know I had a crush on a nerd????? NO WAY."

It really warmed my heart. In any previous generation they would feel obliged to go for a gay panic joke, but they didn't, they implied that it was no big deal. And the main character is quite genderqueer for a kids show, i bet lots of impressionable baby dykes are out there watching. And of course the show is set in San Francisco :D You can watch it here: http://nicktoons.nick.com/videos/clip/mighty-b-gorillas-in-the-midst-full.html (probably US only?)

PyroJones

Pyroclastic Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
It's raining here too. And I'm a quiet person anyway. ^.^

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

Yesterday I was watching my favorite kids cartoon, "The Mighty B". The two sibling main characters, a boy and a girl, had switched outfits and were impersonating each other. But Portia, the resident mean girl, decided she had a major crush on the girl-in-drag because she looked like a rather cute boy. At the end of the episode, the girl discovered Ben and Bessie had been impersonating one another, and announced she was going to tattle. I was really cringing just waiting for the homophobia joke to come and ruin this show forever for me.

But then Ben said, "Wait! If you tell on us, everyone will know that you had a crush on Bessie!" Portia thought for a minute and said, "Everyone will know I had a crush on Bessie? ..................Everyone will know I had a crush on a nerd????? NO WAY."

It really warmed my heart. In any previous generation they would feel obliged to go for a gay panic joke, but they didn't, they implied that it was no big deal. And the main character is quite genderqueer for a kids show, i bet lots of impressionable baby dykes are out there watching. And of course the show is set in San Francisco :D You can watch it here: http://nicktoons.nick.com/videos/clip/mighty-b-gorillas-in-the-midst-full.html (probably US only?)
Hey, they had an episode called "Little Wimmin"...

I've been busy trying to get my YA novel finished, and I just hit a small snag where I introduced a major event too early, so it needs to be shuffled forwardeded (Scrivener FTW!!!) I broke down and got a MacBook after RT Booklovers, since I surprised myself and had some cash leftover (usually I hock myself into debt up to my eyeballs for something like that). I've been able to get a bit more writing done during the day job since I got it; I love my Alphasmart but it's not what I need since I have about three projects I need to work on or expand.

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a way to have a mobile Pride Parade Thread that could move throughout the board--like the Bus Tour Thread did last year? Cause that would bre awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.