Novel under a pseudonym -- query also?

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
I've written a novel under a pseudonym and I am about to start sending out the queries. Do I send them out under a pseudonym and, if I do, do I mention that it's a pseudonym?

Or do I send them under my real name and indicate that the novel is written under a pseudonym?

Thanks!

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
The latter -- agents want to know who they're dealing with. They only care about pseudonyms when you've signed with them. In fact, you don't have to mention the pseudonym at all at this stage :)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
What Corinne said, or you could sign the query:

Sincerely,
John Smith
Writing as Hamilton D'Fancypants

Or something to that effect :) but yeah, you don't have to mention it at the query stage at all.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
You state that you're Jane Smith, writing as "Jane Doe."

Pen names are common. The agent needs your real name and if they take you on, your social security number so they can cut checks for you when your book sells!

Not to worry, they won't give out your real name. It's wholly confidential.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There is no reason to even mention a pseudonym until after you actually sell the novel. It's only when contract time rolls around that the publisher needs you pseudonym, and the agent never actually needs its until and unless you're published and want to sell books to other publishers under that same name.

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your help!

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
There is no reason to even mention a pseudonym until after you actually sell the novel. It's only when contract time rolls around that the publisher needs you pseudonym, and the agent never actually needs its until and unless you're published and want to sell books to other publishers under that same name.

I agree with this. Especially because the fact you want a pseudonym COULD be misconstrued as suggesting you're naive, new, or a prima donna. None of those have to be true of course, and I intend to use a pseudonym myself, but it won't add anything to your query so if there's any chance it could instead detract, I'm all for waiting until the agent says they want the book, and then bringing it up....

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Real name. It does appear that some agents google you and if they can find something interesting, it's a plus point. Pseudonym later, like when you're signing the contarct with an agent or a publisher.

Last edited:

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
What if you don't want your identity known at the beginning of a query process (in case the subject you wrote about is really sensitive)?

Purple Rose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Oooooh, now I'm intrigued! I used my maiden name in nearly 80 queries so far and have gotten nowhere (I know, it's about the query not my name on Google but still...). I do not have an online presence under that name. But my married name gives me a strong online presence so I'm going to use that when I query.

In your case, i would think all the more reason to let your identity be known, no? To pique an agent's interest? Is your name so unusual (like mine) that you would be readily identified in a search? I'm an unknown so it's not a problem.

I still agree with most of the posters above and think you should use your real name. All the more if it will attract attention for you or your subject or your MC.

Flexi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.flexirees.wordpress.com
I have a similar question.
I am thinking of querying agents on a memoir I've completed.
All my published works so far are under my own name and in a completely different genre, but I want to write the memoir under a pen-name for a number of reasons. Because it's a memoir and my name is in the book, do I change my name in the book to the pen-name or use my real name and tell an agent later that I want to use a pen-name? Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I have a similar question.
I am thinking of querying agents on a memoir I've completed.
All my published works so far are under my own name and in a completely different genre, but I want to write the memoir under a pen-name for a number of reasons. Because it's a memoir and my name is in the book, do I change my name in the book to the pen-name or use my real name and tell an agent later that I want to use a pen-name? Hope that makes sense.

I don't know if you should use a pseudonym for a memoir... people who read memoirs want them to be the absolute truth (example: James Frey controversy), and not using your real name is kind of keeping your readers at arm's length. Since personality is so important to a memoir, a pseudonym would feel removed to me. I don't know, I'm not an expert, but that's what popped into my head. What does everyone else think?

Purple Rose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Absolutely agree with Becca! Memoirs are all about truth and exposure, warts and all.

To protect my husband and children, I would like mine published in my maiden name. My unusual first name stays the same while my unusual last name differs but is still real.

I really don't think a pen-name is an option for a memoir. In any case, write the book and query it using your real name, then dicsuss it at the point of signing the contract. Also, an agent may say it is ok (though unlikely) but a publisher might insist on real name.

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
Oooooh, now I'm intrigued! I used my maiden name in nearly 80 queries so far and have gotten nowhere (I know, it's about the query not my name on Google but still...). I do not have an online presence under that name. But my married name gives me a strong online presence so I'm going to use that when I query.

In your case, i would think all the more reason to let your identity be known, no? To pique an agent's interest? Is your name so unusual (like mine) that you would be readily identified in a search? I'm an unknown so it's not a problem.

I still agree with most of the posters above and think you should use your real name. All the more if it will attract attention for you or your subject or your MC.

I've sent about 30 queries under the pseudonym and no luck so far. But my sense tells me that it's not the name (or even the query) that's getting me nowhere. My novel is set in a foreign country (not US) and uses that country's real political leaders as characters (and their real names). So I am concerned it might be a turn off for agents because of litigation. But I asked that question on another board here (Ask an Agent) and all replies seemed to indicate that it should not matter -- especially since any political leader is fair game as a public persona.

These political undertones are the reason that I don't want my identity known even at query process. But now I am thinking that maybe I should change the names of characters and use my real name... or is 30 queries not enough to judge?

Purple Rose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I've sent about 30 queries under the pseudonym and no luck so far. But my sense tells me that it's not the name (or even the query) that's getting me nowhere. My novel is set in a foreign country (not US) and uses that country's real political leaders as characters (and their real names). So I am concerned it might be a turn off for agents because of litigation. But I asked that question on another board here (Ask an Agent) and all replies seemed to indicate that it should not matter -- especially since any political leader is fair game as a public persona.

These political undertones are the reason that I don't want my identity known even at query process. But now I am thinking that maybe I should change the names of characters and use my real name... or is 30 queries not enough to judge?

Politicians are indeed fair game but you must still be careful to not say anything slanderous which cannot be proven. I may be having a mental block but I cannot think of a novel which uses real names of politicians and suspect you could probably get away with any of this:

- the politicians are favourably portrayed
- events and politicians are described similarly in global, neutral papers (refers to known despots like Mugabe, Gaddaffi and Kim)

Depending on the extent of your changes and how you write the whole book, it can still be a very good and gripping read.

It all sounds very exciting, with some cloak and dagger stuff. Depending on your characters, you need to ensure that you do not endanger your life in the process.

It is possible that fear of litigation is keeping agents away. Maybe try making the changes and testing your query with ten agents. With the daily news from Publisher's Marketplace, it would appear the US market laps up stories in foreign settings.

I am not the person to speak about query stats. I've sent 80 for my memoir and the response has been dismal. My query was checked by two pro editors. **SIGH**

Good luck!

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
Politicians are indeed fair game but you must still be careful to not say anything slanderous which cannot be proven. I may be having a mental block but I cannot think of a novel which uses real names of politicians and suspect you could probably get away with any of this:

- the politicians are favourably portrayed
- events and politicians are described similarly in global, neutral papers (refers to known despots like Mugabe, Gaddaffi and Kim)

See, that's my dilemma. Since this is an adventure/satirical spy story, the politicians are actually not portrayed in a favorable light. At the same time if writers always portray politicians in a good light, that'd be boring. The story is fiction but it's based on real events and a real country.

Purple Rose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
See, that's my dilemma. Since this is an adventure/satirical spy story, the politicians are actually not portrayed in a favorable light. At the same time if writers always portray politicians in a good light, that'd be boring. The story is fiction but it's based on real events and a real country.

I see what you mean and agree that "clean politicians" (sorry, oxymoron) are boring. If it's based on real events then go for it as long as you do not embellish the truth.

You must have at least 300 agents to query for a novel. 30 isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

Why not try two options on say 10 or 15 agents per option, both with your real name:

- query as is, with real names, places and events
- query with names, places and events modified or fictionalized

That's what I would do in your situation. You just need to have a tight, rocking query.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
I see what you mean and agree that "clean politicians" (sorry, oxymoron) are boring. If it's based on real events then go for it as long as you do not embellish the truth.

You must have at least 300 agents to query for a novel. 30 isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

Why not try two options on say 10 or 15 agents per option, both with your real name:

- query as is, with real names, places and events
- query with names, places and events modified or fictionalized

That's what I would do in your situation. You just need to have a tight, rocking query.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Flexi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.flexirees.wordpress.com

Wow! 300. I don't even have 30 registered agents in Australia and less than half are currently accepting unsolicited material at the moment. There might be a thread about this elsewhere, but where do you find that many agents? Do you have to start querying in other countries? I've seen the list of American agents and there are hundreds, but we only have a handful down here. What happens when you run out of agents to target?

Purple Rose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Hi Flexi, I am querying on American agents at the moment and will move on to the handful of Canadian ones when I'm done. I am writing a memoir set primarily in Singapore (where I'm from but I moved last year live next door to you in Indonesia). It is American-centric because my "problem" is more prevalent in the US and also because of the companies I worked for. I only have 150 on my list because less agents are interested in memoirs. When I run out of agents, I'll write to indie publishers. When that fails, I'll try India, Taiwan and China.

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Flexi, I am querying on American agents at the moment and will move on to the handful of Canadian ones when I'm done. I am writing a memoir set primarily in Singapore (where I'm from but I moved last year live next door to you in Indonesia). It is American-centric because my "problem" is more prevalent in the US and also because of the companies I worked for. I only have 150 on my list because less agents are interested in memoirs. When I run out of agents, I'll write to indie publishers. When that fails, I'll try India, Taiwan and China.

What do you mean you'll try India, Taiwan and China? Agents there? How would you find them?

How does one find agents in a specific country? For instance, how would I find UK-based agents?