• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader Needed for a Memoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb, ignore my fears and see if there are any memoir readers out there. I currently have three betas who will be working on line edits and looking for plot holes.

However, I'd also like one or two readers who have experience with memoirs to help with things such as structure and possibly pacing. The memoir itself has gone through six or seven edits/revisions. I'll be ready to send it out tomorrow, once I do one last read through.

I admit to my being nervous about this. Every project I write is special, but since I lived through this one, I'm a little more protective than usual. This doesn't mean I want gentle readers, it just means I don't know what to expect.

The memoir currently sits around 50k to 53k (trying to decide if I want to keep or remove one of the chapters). It's written mostly in first person present tense (I know, memoirs are usually written in the past tense. I'm using present tense to have more of an intimate relationship with my readers).

It covers the year after my father drowned in the Delaware River. I was nine at the time, and it finishes after my adoption. It's not so much about him as it is about finding family.

Note: I'm not religious and a few areas of the memoir reflect this.

If you're interested, or would like to see a sample before committing, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it.

I'm also willing to read another memoirist's work should they want to become partners. I'm really into memoirs right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.