Plots in Erotica -- "S" too soon?

VeggieChick

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I've been reading the wrong books, but all the erotic novels I know jump straight into sex on the first chapter. What if I want to wait a few chapters and take my time introducing characters and the story? Do I run the risk of putting off editors that way?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In erotic romance sec scenes may not happen immediately. In other erotica I think sex is central and plot tends to fir in where it can--although there are many exceptions with more literary and other unusual publishers. I suggest doing some market research to see what publisher may suit you and checking their guidlines for rating and spacing of sex scenes.

Giles English

Eroticist for hire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chasteerotica.blogspot.com
IMHO, full-on erotica is about sex. If the story is about an unlikely pairing, it starts as close as possible to the first encounter, then deals with its fallout. Romantic erotica - on the other hand - would build up to the encounter, with pages and pages of tension.

However, it doesn't have to be full-on sex in Chapter 1. For example, in my novel (published a couple of years back) the 2nd half of Chapter 1 had the hero play peeping tom while an attractive girl in another building um... well you get the idea.

The scene was part of the plot because it made him realise he had to do something about his plight (stuck in a male chastity belt, so unable to take advantage of what he was seeing), and it set up the girl in question as a future partner.

Femotica

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.femotica.com
i think it's all about what you're writing, how long it is and how you want to write it. If you're writing a full length novel, and it's pure erotica, then you could just jump into the sex. Some prefer a "get to know the character" period. Or at least establishing some sort of goal or setting. You could build up the sensuality. If you're adding in a romance, people typically prefer the build up the relationship with the sex. With shorter stories, it's all about the story and how far you want to go. For instance there are a few stories at femotica that are short, but go right for the sex. You only have a page or two of "hi, how are you." Others are longer and have multiple parts and more build up and it's all about the tension between teh characters. Also consider if it's a more serious piece of playful. We have a whole "playful" section where all the stories are just about having fun and having sex. There's not a lot of emotion. But that's fine. We have other categories for more serious pieces. Keep in mind the end audience. People know if they read a "playful" story that it's going to be fun sex and perhaps off the wall things. They know if they read a "kinky" story that they're going to get a darker, kinkier story. So it's really up to you but i think it helps to have an audience in mind.