PDA

View Full Version : Bookfessions

megan_d
05-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I figured I can't be the only one to get a real kick out of this site. Every second "confession" had me nodding my emphatically!

Bookfessions (http://bookfessions.tumblr.com)

scarletpeaches
05-11-2011, 05:26 PM
This is like reading the inside of my own head. It really is.

bearilou
05-11-2011, 05:54 PM
This is like reading the inside of my own head. It really is.

How do you get your eyes to do that?

:D

And that's a great site.

Samantha's_Song
05-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Gawd, I only go my new glasses last week, but I was sure this, IF YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR A BOOKFESSION, SEND IT TO MY ASK BOX!, actually said IF YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR A BOOKFESSION, SEND IT TO MY ARSE BOX! :D Ok, back to reading the confessions....

Isabelle
05-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Haha I love this! Thanks for sharing =D

Phaeal
05-11-2011, 08:39 PM
My Bookfession:

A bathroom not equipped with at least two books, a few magazines, and the current NYT Book Review is not a home. I'm reading War and Peace entirely during BR time -- the chapters are just the right length.

scarletpeaches
05-11-2011, 08:41 PM
My bookfession:

A visitor to my home once asked why I had so many books. I said, "Because I like books better than people."

I wasn't joking.

Phaeal
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Well, they have junk hoarding reality shows and animal hoarding reality shows. How about a book hoarding show?

What, not gross enough?

Yeah, you're right, unless, of course, you have so many books that investigators start to find cats squashed to pancakes underneath them.

scarletpeaches
05-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah, you're right, unless, of course, you have so many books that investigators start to find cats squashed to pancakes underneath them.I WAS USING THEM AS BOOKMARKS, OKAY???

Soccer Mom
05-11-2011, 09:28 PM
My bookfession: I narrate my own life in my head. "She pushed the cart down the grocery aisle."

Some days are more interesting to 'read' than others.

scarletpeaches
05-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Everything that happens in my life - everything - makes me wonder how I can use this in a book.

If not the actual events, then the feelings they bring about. I wonder, "How can I make a character feel such loss/anger/confusion/fear?"

Samantha's_Song
05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I suppose my own Bookfession is: I use one of the many facets of my personality to build my characters on, but once that particular facet is down the characters take on whole new lives and perspectives of their own, the wayward buggers.

MMConway
05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Everything that happens in my life - everything - makes me wonder how I can use this in a book.

I do the same thing. I carry a little notebook with me, so I can scribble ideas down as they pop into my head. lol

scarletpeaches
05-11-2011, 10:55 PM
I do the same thing. I carry a little notebook with me, so I can scribble ideas down as they pop into my head. lolAnd everyone who crosses me goes on my "You're in my next book, fucker," list.

Except for one ex-boyfriend who kept calling to ask how the writing was going, and could I hurry up and be published because "I've told everyone at work I used to go out with a writer!"

To which I replied, "You could have still been dating a writer, but you chose not to, so don't blame me if you've lost cool points with the boys."

Anyway, he kept asking, "Can I be in your book?"

I shut the shit down on that line of conversation with, "No, dear. You're just not that interesting."

S.J.
05-11-2011, 11:54 PM
"When a character does something really stupid or embarrassing, I have to close the book and breathe for a second because I can feel their embarrassment."

I sooo do that!

But: "I often read in the shower"?? How do you do that?? I've tried to figure out a way so many times!

Erika_Lindsen
05-12-2011, 02:23 AM
Bookfession: I wish I was as cool and brave as my characters

Xelebes
05-12-2011, 06:31 AM
My bookfession: I narrate my own life in my head. "She pushed the cart down the grocery aisle."

Of all pleasantries I endure, pushing the shopping cart down the aisle is not one if I were to include the spontaneous jerks left and right from the ill-kept wheels of the cart. Neither is it a bore as I casually glance left and right looking for the scrawled-out items on the list, some of which have doodles to aid my daft search through the tallysome aisles. But in this great journey of pushing the burdened beast, I come to no great ponderings as the numbers flash dully and the labels discount themselves into a confetti of colours.

Soccer Mom
05-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Of all pleasantries I endure, pushing the shopping cart down the aisle is not one if I were to include the spontaneous jerks left and right from the ill-kept wheels of the cart. Neither is it a bore as I casually glance left and right looking for the scrawled-out items on the list, some of which have doodles to aid my daft search through the tallysome aisles. But in this great journey of pushing the burdened beast, I come to no great ponderings as the numbers flash dully and the labels discount themselves into a confetti of colours.

FTW!

Phaeal
05-12-2011, 05:43 PM

CGs! That's positively aubergine.

shaldna
05-12-2011, 06:43 PM
But: "I often read in the shower"?? How do you do that?? I've tried to figure out a way so many times!

I read in the shower too. My husband thinks it hillarious, but it's super easy. You just keep the water on your back and your book at eye level and out of the spray. Easy.

Kate Thornton
05-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Bookfession: Everyone and everything is fair grist for the mill. And I'm always grinding it to dust as we live...on the spot. I steal words, phrases, gestures, clothes, everything I see that I think I can use.

Can't read in the shower, though, unless the Kindle is waterproof...is it waterproof?

katiemac
05-12-2011, 11:03 PM
I feel like a lot of people in this thread could use these (http://www.amazon.com/Conceal-INVISIBLE-BOOKSHELF-floating-shelf/dp/B000UO4KXY) bookshelves.

S.J.
05-12-2011, 11:09 PM
I read in the shower too. My husband thinks it hillarious, but it's super easy. You just keep the water on your back and your book at eye level and out of the spray. Easy.

Ohhh, we have one of those shower cubicles where the water rebounds off the walls and waterlogs EVERYTHING... I've soaked about two books trying to read in there. :D
It's an art I guess, haha!

Suppose I'm gonna have to wait for a waterproof Kindle or something...

Bookfession: Somebody talks about a place and I say, "I've been there!" before realising that I've actually only read about it.

tjwriter
05-12-2011, 11:10 PM

I do this too. It's really odd to go down that vein some days.

zegota
05-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Ohhh, we have one of those shower cubicles where the water rebounds off the walls and waterlogs EVERYTHING... I've soaked about two books trying to read in there. :D
It's an art I guess, haha!

Suppose I'm gonna have to wait for a waterproof Kindle or something...

Bookfession: Somebody talks about a place and I say, "I've been there!" before realising that I've actually only read about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Version-TrendyDigital-WaterGuard-Waterproof-Generation/dp/B0034C0M0Y/ref=pd_sim_e_1

kuwisdelu
05-12-2011, 11:40 PM
You people are all crazy.

tjwriter
05-13-2011, 12:29 AM
And yet you are here, too.

friendlyhobo
05-13-2011, 02:11 AM
My bookfession? I base all my purse buying decisions on book holding specifications.

Soccer Mom
05-13-2011, 03:23 AM
My bookfession? I base all my purse buying decisions on book holding specifications.

Well, of course. It's important to know if a purse can only accomodate mmpb or if it's the right size for trade. All of my purse purchases must be the correct size to accomodate my Kindle.

Kitty27
05-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Bookfessions:

I get extremely angry with people who proudly confess that they don't read. Barn raised moo cows! Anti-literacy trollops! HEIFERS.
*shakes fist*

I cannot control myself when I get near a bookstore. I MUST buy a book.

I am a snob. I have zero interest in a Kindle. Old school,book in hand,and the smell of fresh pages cannot be beat.

Technophobe
05-13-2011, 08:21 AM
My bookfession? When I was a kid, I used to read under the sheets with a flashlight, too :) .

lastlittlebird
05-13-2011, 09:53 AM
I went through a phase where I idolized Belle (from Beauty and the Beast) and walked everywhere with a book in front of my nose.

Being able to do this without falling down stairs or creating a blood feud with the cat is still a good skill to have at times. :D

swvaughn
05-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Megan, thank you for posting this. This site made me very, very happy. I keep going back to read more. :D

I got so excited, I even submitted a Bookfession (and thanked the blogger for creating this, because it's awesome). Mine's up there now, #354:

As a child, I would get in trouble for sitting quietly in the house with a book while the other kids were outside playing. So I'd take my book outside, climb a tree and sit there to read instead.

Kitty27
05-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Bookfession:

Am I the only one that carried a book to lunch and read the book while it was sitting in my lap?

tjwriter
05-14-2011, 06:08 AM
In elementary school, I'd read in the cafeteria and then walk around the playground at recess reading a book.

swvaughn
05-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Bookfession:

Am I the only one that carried a book to lunch and read the book while it was sitting in my lap?

Nope. :D

By second or third grade, I had perfected the "You will have to pry this book from my cold, dead hands" glare...

scarletpeaches
05-14-2011, 04:43 PM
I've had people ask me how I can walk along the street without bumping into stuff because I read everywhere I go.

I haz mad bookworm skillz, yo.

Eldritch
05-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks, Megan D! What a great site.

heyjude
05-14-2011, 08:11 PM
My bookfession? When I was a kid, I used to read under the sheets with a flashlight, too :) .

My bookfession: I let my kids read to obscene hours of the night, even on school nights, because I'm delighted that they share my love of reading. No flashlights for them. :D