PDA

View Full Version : Packing

sheadakota
05-09-2011, 11:51 PM
So if you were going on a ten day trip to Yosemite, Ca in early June- what would you pack?

I only want to bring a carry on and we intend to do a lot of hiking, rafting, horse-back riding- so with that in mind and the fact that I'm not a girly girl- what would you pack?

mirandashell
05-09-2011, 11:53 PM
T shirts. Lots of. They can rolled up quite small in a bag.

lastlittlebird
05-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Thick socks and bandaids. You won't be able to stop hiking, it's so beautiful. But some of the trails are challenging.
A camera also wouldn't go amiss.

sheadakota
05-10-2011, 12:24 AM
I can't wait! I have really comfortable hiking boots that I've been wearing around for the last two months to make sure they fit well and we are investing in an actual camera instead of my phone-lol- I also have comfy yoga pants and t-shirts- I am hoping this isn't a dressy place.

scarletpeaches
05-10-2011, 12:27 AM
So if you were going on a ten day trip to Yosemite, Ca in early June- what would you pack?Bradley Cooper.

mirandashell
05-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Yoga pants are a good idea. Anything that can be rolled up small.

And as for the t shirts, I'm found from experience that when you're out in the wilds and are all sweaty and tired with nowhere to wash, a clean t shirt feels lovely!

And get them in thin cotton if you can. Not synthetic fabrics. You can always wear two or three together if you get cold.

alleycat
05-10-2011, 12:38 AM
I'm not that familiar with Yosemite, but I would certain take a sweater and/or light jacket. It can get chilly in mountains, even in summer.

KellyAssauer
05-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Skin-so-soft to keep the bugs off, a tick spoon! (must have) a snake bite kit, and one of those hand held hiking gps thingies. A battery charger with extra bats for the digital camera and gps. An extra memory card or two for the camera... small first aid kit. Sunblock for the rafting trip, you could get so fried!

mirandashell
05-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Oh yeah, definitely an extra memory card for the camera! Nothing more frustrating than seeing a great photo and not being able to take it.

Pistol Whipped Bee
05-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Good suggestions so far. I'll add a hat. I grew up in the mountains and I prefer baseball caps. You might want to take a book along too - for your down moments. You won't be hauling bootie every minute.

sheadakota
05-10-2011, 02:31 AM
awesome suggestion guys! I just got the carry on/ backpacks I ordered from LL bean. Hubby and I traveled out west quite a lot BC (before kids), But it has been *cough* decades and we have never been to yosemeti.

Hat- thanks and the extra memory card- SSS, oh my yes! I would have forgotten all of those.
I'm bringing my Kindle so the books are covered.
Hubby tells me the place we are staying at has a hot tub as well so yea!

sheadakota
05-10-2011, 02:35 AM
Bradley Cooper.
But does he pack well?

scarletpeaches
05-10-2011, 02:42 AM
But does he pack well?I'm sure The Coop packs enough to keep you happy.

sheadakota
05-10-2011, 02:53 AM
Why did I not see that one coming? ( no pun intended)

scarletpeaches
05-10-2011, 03:23 AM
*looks around*

*sees the thread is completed Cooped.*

Ah, my work here is done. Bye, then! :hi:

Kitty Pryde
05-10-2011, 03:33 AM
packable raincoat
synthetic long underwear (or even the synthetic running tights and shirts they have at target)--for the rafting, it's hot but the water is so so cold as it was recently snow. Last summer I rafted the Tuolumne and it was frigid.
sandals NOT FLIPFLOPS--also for the rafting as well as miscellaneous adventures. flipflops or any shoe that doesn't stay on your foot is purely amateur hour as it's so dangerous
sunglasses with dorky sunglasses keeper on them
floppy hat
fleece jacket (usually cold in the mountains at night!)

If you get time have dinner at the Yosemite Bug right outside the park. Tasty! And don't pet any bears :D

Duchessmary
05-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Richard Gere. :D

Yes, it does get cold there. We went in May when I was younger, and there was snow on the ground in places.

sheadakota
05-10-2011, 04:52 AM
We were in Wyoming in early June for our honeymoon and I remember ten foot snow drifts on the side of the road- I have pictures to prove it- the date on the camera says June 12th and there's the snow!

I'm writing all this stuff down- you guys are a gold mine- thanks!

Susie
05-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Have a great time, shea. Maybe pack Brad Pitt if Angelina would let him go for awhile :D

sheadakota
05-10-2011, 03:13 PM
you guys are aware my husband is coming with me- right?:tongue

scarletpeaches
05-10-2011, 03:47 PM
I should think so--

Nah. Too easy. :D

JimmyB27
05-10-2011, 03:54 PM
One of these (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212938).

sheadakota
05-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Thats pretty darn cool! Think airport security will let me tak it on the plane?