PDA

View Full Version : Song for Spanish-speaking child

Kathie Freeman
05-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi, I'm currently translating my book from English to Spanish, and need a little help. In one scene there are 2 small children (about age 2) lost in the desert and rather frightened. One of them begins to sing to comfort herself and the other joins in. I need the words (public domain only please) for a short song that most every Spanish-speaking 2-year-old would know, if there is such a thing. Thanks.

DamaNegra
05-09-2011, 08:41 PM
All I can think of are lullaby songs, "A la rro rro nene" and stuff like that. Does that work?

A la rro rro nene
A la rro rro ya
Duérmase mi niño
Duéramseme ya
Este niño lindo
Que nació de día
Quiere que lo lleven
A comer sandía
Este niño lindo
Que nació de noche
Quiere que lo lleven
A pasear en coche
A la rro rro nene...

Which translates as:
Shush shush baby
Shush shush now
Go to sleep my child
Go to sleep now
This beautiful child
That was born in the day
Wants to be taken
To eat watermelon
This beautiful child
That was born in the night
Wants to be taken
On a car ride
Shush shush baby....

Yeah, it's a bunch of nonsense, but I remember mom singing it to me quite often. Although a 2-year old would most likely only know the first 4 verses, but even that could work.

I dunno, is this what you needed?

DamaNegra
05-09-2011, 08:43 PM
If they're modern-day children, I don't think it would apply, but up to my generation (I'm 22), Cri-cri was insanely popular among young children, though his songs are not public domain that I'm aware of (when does copyright on a song expire anyway?).

Kathie Freeman
05-10-2011, 08:35 PM
That will work fine. It doesn't have to make sense, just be recognizable.
As far as copyrights for a song, at least in the US it's the same as for a literary work - the life of the author plus 75 years, unless sold or assigned. Copyrights can be renewed by the heirs as well, I believe.

DamaNegra
05-11-2011, 03:30 AM
That will work fine. It doesn't have to make sense, just be recognizable.
As far as copyrights for a song, at least in the US it's the same as for a literary work - the life of the author plus 75 years, unless sold or assigned. Copyrights can be renewed by the heirs as well, I believe.

Oh, well, then you'll be all right with the first four verses of the lullaby. I think most people will have heard that at some point (though I can only speak for Mexico).

Kaiser-Kun
05-11-2011, 04:04 AM
My mom sang me this one when I was little:

Señora Santa
por que llora el niño?
Por una manzana
que se le ha caido

Vamos a la huerta
cortaremos dos
Una para el niño
y otra para Dios

Translated, more or less...

Lady Santana
why is the child crying?
Because of an apple
that fell from his hand

Let's go to the garden
we shall cut down two
one for the child
another one for God

Kathie Freeman
05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
That one sounds good, too. Thanks

Deb Kinnard
05-12-2011, 12:54 AM
I remember a lullaby to the Christ child:

A la nanita nana, nanita nana, nanita ella,
Mi Jesus tiene sueño, bendito sea, bendito sea.

Fuentecilla que corres, clara y sonora,
Ruiseñor que en la selva, cantando lloras,
Callad mientras la cuña se balancea,
A la nanita nana, nanita ella.

Better Spanish speakers than I may want to translate, but it says something about mother Mary rocking her Child in the cradle, while in the forest the nightingale sings.

Kathie Freeman
05-12-2011, 08:41 PM
This is great! Keep the ideas coming. Thanks.

Pebbles
05-12-2011, 09:14 PM
There's Pin pon

And Los pollitos dicen pio pio pio....

Kathie Freeman
05-13-2011, 07:42 PM
There's Pin pon

And Los pollitos dicen pio pio pio....

I googled these two - Pin Pon is a little too complicated, I think, but Los Pollitos would definitely work. Thanks.

shakeysix
05-13-2011, 08:05 PM
"dos elefantes se columpriaba sobre la tela de una arana" i don't remember it all but i think it is a counting song. i can't do the tilde over the n with this keyboard--s6

Pebbles
05-14-2011, 04:42 AM
"dos elefantes se columpriaba sobre la tela de una arana" i don't remember it all but i think it is a counting song. i can't do the tilde over the n with this keyboard--s6

Yay....I love this song— I mean loved :tongue whatever, let's boogie to it.

Kathie Freeman
05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Must have been some spider's web. A bit complicated fo a 2-year-old. I think

shakeysix
05-17-2011, 12:38 AM
no, it's a nursery song. my spanish speaking students sing it, even now, in high school. i think there are hand gestures that go with it--like itsy bitsy spider. i'll ask--s6

Kathie Freeman
05-17-2011, 08:50 PM
These are all great suggestions, but I think I will go with "Los Pollitos". Thanks all for your ideas. You've been very helpful.

bmadsen
05-27-2011, 02:08 AM
Hola a todos!

My opinion is that the elephant song is more useful to teach counting. Los pollitos is a good song, my generation (I'm 25) has that song tattooed in their brains. I don't think there are many different versions, but just in case, here go the lyrics:

Los pollitos dicen pio pio pio
cuando tienen hambre
y cuando tienen frío.

La gallina busca el maiz y el trigo,
les da la comida
y les presta abrigo
bajos sus dos alas
acurrucaditos hasta el otro dia
duermen los pollitos.

Los pollitos dicen pio pio pio
cuando tienen hambre
y cuando tienen frio.

La gallina busca el maiz y el trigo,
les da la comida
y les presta abrigo
bajos sus dos alas acurrucaditos
hasta el otro dia duermen los pollitos.

The other thing is remember the accentuation on those words that need it. I just copied and pasted it, so there is no accents (frío, maíz, día)

cheers!