PDA

View Full Version : What to do now?

Wayne K
05-09-2011, 05:19 PM
The bottom link in my sig (A Life Gone Awry) is around 150,000 views now. It's on a bunch of websites and has been written about here http://www.sunjournal.com/city/story/1008298

The tales of treatment at the school during the 1970s were well-documented during the 2002 murder trial of former student Michael Skakel, and the practices of isolating students, screaming sessions called “general meetings” and physically rough treatment have been written about by dozens of former students, including disturbing details of Wayne Kernochan’s time at the school between 1978 and 1980 detailed in his e-book, “A Life Gone Awry: My Story of the Elan School.”

They gave us credit for closing the school down. http://www.sunjournal.com/city/story/1004724

In the years since, there have been ongoing reports of abuse at the school, including accusations by officials in New York and Massachusetts, plus books and online posts by former students critical of the school’s treatment methods.

The reason I posted the book is because after agenting and submitting two memoir, editors loved my books, but said they don't see my sales competing with George Bush and Sarah Palin. Basically, if you're not a celebrity, your chances are slim. Both agents told me that

I have a second part to this book, and I'm wondering if I should bother trying to get an agent, or if I should self pub it and link it to the sites that gave A Life Gone Awry its popularity. Would trade publishers be interested in a self pub book that has had this kind of popularity?

I don't think I could stand another swing and miss.

James D. Macdonald
05-09-2011, 05:33 PM
If you can sell 5,000-10,000 copies of a self-published book in a reasonably short time, you should be able to interest a commercial publisher.

But, only two agents? Don't give up so easily. Memoirs are tough to sell.

I notice that A Life Gone Awry is 35K words. That isn't a commercial length for print books.

Wayne K
05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Thank you. The second part I'm shooting for 50 to 75K. Its a very interesting story

HapiSofi
05-13-2011, 06:15 PM
The reason I posted the book is because after agenting and submitting two memoir, editors loved my books, but said they don't see my sales competing with George Bush and Sarah Palin. Basically, if you're not a celebrity, your chances are slim. Both agents told me that.
What the bleep do George Bush or Sarah Palin have to do with it? This is a work of personal journalism, not a memoir by a has-been politician.

Is there anything in your book that discusses the larger social context of the events? If not, you might want to add that, or beef up the existing sections, then focus more on that in your query letters. Then, send them to some better nonfiction agents.