Navy SEALs

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
What a great article. Very insightful about who likely will make the cut: those who aren't into the show. These guys are the ultimate bad-asses. Like all our military over there, these guys put themselves in harm's way.

Better quit 'cause I'm getting teary-eyed thinking about our people over there.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome people. All of them. Nothing makes you appreciate servicemen and -women quite like having a loved one over there. I've got eighteen more weeks until I get to see my guy again. :)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A fine, upstanding group of killers if ever there was one.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com

Quaker? Ah, no. We disagree over a few things. But he's a good kid, just one with a different path than mine. He's also no longer "operational" as they term it in the SEALs, so that's one less thing for me to worry about.

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quaker? Ah, no. We disagree over a few things. But he's a good kid, just one with a different path than mine. He's also no longer "operational" as they term it in the SEALs, so that's one less thing for me to worry about.

Well, that's good news then, the no longer operational bit, just to be clear.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
A fine, upstanding group of killers if ever there was one.

Not sure how to take that Diana.

If this is how you define these men who are trained to do a job others don't want or can't do, then how do you define Bin Laden and his group of killers?

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Not to take away from the SEALs, but they didn't exactly catch a bus and ride to the bin Laden compound. They were flown in under zero illumination through non-permissive airspace by the U.S. Army's 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment at 60-80 knots at 40 feet off the deck, through hostile terrain while avoiding en route detection through a high-threat environment, as the Paki military is all over the place.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure how to take that Diana.

If this is how you define these men who are trained to do a job others don't want or can't do, then how do you define Bin Laden and his group of killers?

Ah, an easy one.

I don't believe in murder. Period. I will not make distinctions between types of killers. Period. War does not make it not murder. Period. When one joins the military one joins with the knowledge that one may be asked to kill aka murder someone. Some people buy the song and dance about patriotism and protecting the country and are carried away by it. I understand that. But, to me, a killer is a killer. There is no good reason--perhaps aside from direct self-defense--to kill. I don't know if that aswers the question or not, but that's my answer.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm conflicted by our armed forces. On the one hand, there are a lot of things that are wholly commendable about them. Reading this training, you really get a sense of the people who can do this...good people. Honestly good people, at least in my opinion.

But on the other hand, Diana is right, and no amount of sugar coating can change this: The military exists to kill people.

This raises many emotions, all of them complicated.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, an easy one.

I don't believe in murder. Period. I will not make distinctions between types of killers. Period. War does not make it not murder. Period. When one joins the military one joins with the knowledge that one may be asked to kill aka murder someone. Some people buy the song and dance about patriotism and protecting the country and are carried away by it. I understand that. But, to me, a killer is a killer. There is no good reason--perhaps aside from direct self-defense--to kill. I don't know if that aswers the question or not, but that's my answer.

Fair answer and of course you are entitled to your beliefs.

I just hope you never have reason to be rescued by these brave and professional soldiers and thereby don't have to compromise your beliefs and decline the rescue from Zombie head hunters of course...

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
But on the other hand, Diana is right, and no amount of sugar coating can change this: The military exists to kill people.

A very narrow view of what the military does. Are we to equate Policemen then as trained killers since part of their job may require them to take out a bad guy?

Think about the humanitarian aid various military branches perform, or the security they provide so non governmental groups can aid those in need.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I know, that's why I pointed out that they had a lot of things that are very commendable about them. Still conflicting.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm conflicted by our armed forces. On the one hand, there are a lot of things that are wholly commendable about them. Reading this training, you really get a sense of the people who can do this...good people. Honestly good people, at least in my opinion.

This raises many emotions, all of them complicated.

Militaries definitely have big messy slaughters on their menus, but militaries always have plenty of other social functions and responsibilities even when actively engaged in major wars. Even in a set-piece battle, capturing, demoralizing, disarming or detaching enemies is usually more effective than killing them, which tends to be messy, expensive, time-consuming, disturbing and often counter-productive.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Well, that's good news then, the no longer operational bit, just to be clear.

Especially since he was with SEAL team 6, as I understand it the one that carried out that particular mission. (He's had many others over the years.)

On a larger note, his vocation has given both of us the opportunity to think deeply about our personal convictions, so that is also good.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
It seems to me like your words might be construed to represent a bit of shit stirring too, but maybe that's just me.

For myself, I take no offense at her words. (I don't think my brother would, either.) But I did want to make the subtle point that life is complicated and generalizations can mislead.

As a side note, there was another time -- the Civil War -- when Quakers were deeply divided over the issue of war. Some chose to fight, even though they did not see themselves as leaving the faith.