PDA

View Full Version : Should I get my hair colored or leave it alone?

rhymegirl
05-08-2011, 03:43 AM
I can't decide.

Cliff Face
05-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Blue-black (I mean the shade of black, not blue+black) with vibrant pink streaks.

Lock thread.

rhymegirl
05-08-2011, 03:47 AM
Blue-black (I mean the shade of black, not blue+black) with vibrant pink streaks.

Lock thread.

Hmm. That would be a new one for me.

Note that there is a poll up there. ^

MMConway
05-08-2011, 03:48 AM
If you have roots showing definitely do it. If you are looking for a change, maybe go lighter. My sister is a salon owner, my of her clients go lighter going into the summer and then darker going into the winter.

Slushie
05-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Depends on the color. In my utopia, every woman is a brunette. :D

rhymegirl
05-08-2011, 03:50 AM
If you have roots showing definitely do it. If you are looking for a change, maybe go lighter. My sister is a salon owner, my of her clients go lighter going into the summer and then darker going into the winter.

I am trying to hide some gray, mostly.

rhymegirl
05-08-2011, 04:06 AM
Depends on the color. In my utopia, every woman is a brunette. :D

It will either be brown or red.

Lainey
05-08-2011, 04:26 AM
It took me a long time to realize that hair, is just hair. You can do anything to it and it will grow back or fade. So, try everything you want to try. Live dangerously, experiment. I think sometimes my hair has had more fun than I have... :D

This :P I've had my hair a ridiculous amount of colours. It's fun.

Cliff Face
05-08-2011, 04:28 AM
My ideal job would encourage me to dye my hair weird colours. ;)

Sydneyd
Remember summer is coming. Maybe go for a nice milk chocolate brown? Perhaps some lighter highlights to catch the sun's rays?

Ambrosia
I agree. If you want to cover your grey, go for it. I used to color my hair before I had the grey. Now it is blending in so wonderfully my hair sparkles. People pay good money and never get it this way. I don't have to color it now. :tongue

Silver King
05-08-2011, 05:35 AM
The hair color in your current avatar seems to suit you very well, so I'd suggest going with that one.

Kitty Pryde
05-08-2011, 05:40 AM
I just went blonde again and I am ever so happy about it. Summer is coming! (On the other hand my hair is an inch long, and will grow another inch by July so I can cut off any disastrous coloring results :D )

Snowstorm
05-08-2011, 05:48 AM
A neighbor colored her hair red. It didn't suit her, but she always had it red. I could see the brown/grey roots occasionally. It looked weird. Then, the last time I saw her, her hair was natural: brown with a lot of gray. She looked much younger, and I told her so. (She's in her late fifties.)

I will, though, piggy back on Silver King's comment that your avatar photo suits you. Have fun.

COchick
05-08-2011, 05:52 AM
To cover grays? DO IT.

brainstorm77
05-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Pink with purple polkadots!

Adam
05-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Leave it. Grey is awesome.

Or, y'know, purple mohawk.

Shakesbear
05-08-2011, 04:03 PM
A year ago I decided to stop colouring my hair. I started to go grey when I was 16/17 and used henna, which made the grey a wonderful copper colour. I tried to grow it out a couple of years ago but looked like a badger - white streak down the middle, darks streaks either side and then more white! It is now a snowy white at the front and a bit of salt and pepper at the back. I am really pleased that I don't have to go through the rigmarole of colouring it any more. I think that colouring hair is fine if you have the time, money and impetus to do it and it looks good. I have a friend whose hair is shocking pink - the last time I hennaed my hair it was bright orange. We clashed dreadfully. People put on sun glasses when they saw us. The pub we went to used to turn the lights off - we really were that bright.

seun
05-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Shave it all off.

rhymegirl
05-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Shave it all off.

Okay.

But my husband will divorce me.

Shakesbear
05-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Okay.

But my husband will divorce me.

But then you can marry Seun!

kayleamay
05-08-2011, 07:13 PM
We have very similar coloring. Right now, my hair is the same color as yours. I'm going a little lighter next time because I have so much white growing in that I hope it will blend a little better. Just remember, you have that nice, long head of hair. My hair is short so I can totally fubar it and it will be replenished in a couple of months. Beware the henna!

With that, I give you my, "Do whatever the hell makes you smile," vote. :)

brainstorm77
05-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I stopped colouring my hair a year ago. It's greying and I quite like it :)

kayleamay
05-08-2011, 07:35 PM
I liked mine when it was just a lightening bolt of white. Now, (if I don't dye it), the right side of my head is white and the left is auburn. Not so nifty. If mine greyed evenly, I'd run with it.

rhymegirl
05-08-2011, 09:32 PM
We have very similar coloring. Right now, my hair is the same color as yours. I'm going a little lighter next time because I have so much white growing in that I hope it will blend a little better. Just remember, you have that nice, long head of hair. My hair is short so I can totally fubar it and it will be replenished in a couple of months. Beware the henna!

With that, I give you my, "Do whatever the hell makes you smile," vote. :)

Thank you, km.

I see that the Yeses are winning, so I made my appointment for this Thursday. I am going to a very nice salon that was voted Best in my state. I have read very good reviews.

Adam
05-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I stopped colouring my hair a year ago. It's greying and I quite like it :)

And I loves it. ;)

Haggis
05-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Leave it. Grey is awesome.

Or, y'know, purple mohawk.

This.

Shave it all off.
Or this.

Adam
05-08-2011, 09:56 PM
The doggy speaks wisely.

rhymegirl
05-08-2011, 10:47 PM
This.

Or this.

Or neither.

Wacky colors or baldness will get me divorced. Is that what you want, doggy?

Adam
05-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Wacky colours OR baldness, eh?

What about wacky colours on a bald head?

rhymegirl
05-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Wacky colours OR baldness, eh?

What about wacky colours on a bald head?

Not good either.

Alpha Echo
05-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I have been dying my hair since I was 18. I don't even remember the exact shade of my ugly, mousy, dull brown hair.

Right now, I'm a medium brown with blonde highlights, and I love it!

Dye it!

Jersey Chick
05-10-2011, 04:54 PM
I got tired of the silver streaks (I was a blonde, so it was pretty well hidden, but I knew they were there.) Started coloring it last January - I went a very dark brown. I LOVE it! Even when it fades, it becomes a beautiful auburn-y shade so I'm happy. Not to mention, the 2 hours I spend in the salon are completely MINE. I get to read, chat with my stylist, whatever. Heaven. :D

Go for it.

Adam
05-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Not good either.

Pfffffffft.

stormie
05-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I say go for it.

rhymegirl
05-10-2011, 06:49 PM
I say go for it.

I am going for it.

Thursday evening.

Maryn
05-10-2011, 09:39 PM
I used to color my white strands, when I had fewer of them. But the hassle and cost of keeping it up, the toll it takes on your hair's condition, the frequency with which you have to touch up those roots--not worth it to me.

My hair's brown with lots of silver strands, white at the temples, and well past my waist. I get compliments from strangers on it all the time. Instead of mucking around with it, I get it trimmed four times a year, and keep it clean. Period.

If time or money is scarce, try going natural. You might find you like the mature woman you are.

Maryn, who earned every silver strand

kayleamay
05-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Maryn, I have seen your pic. If I had hair like yours I would leave it alone too. It's lovely.

RG, we'll be expecting pics.

Alpha Echo
05-10-2011, 09:57 PM
I used to color my white strands, when I had fewer of them. But the hassle and cost of keeping it up, the toll it takes on your hair's condition, the frequency with which you have to touch up those roots--not worth it to me.

My hair's brown with lots of silver strands, white at the temples, and well past my waist. I get compliments from strangers on it all the time. Instead of mucking around with it, I get it trimmed four times a year, and keep it clean. Period.

If time or money is scarce, try going natural. You might find you like the mature woman you are.

Maryn, who earned every silver strand

I knew a woman who had grey hair, but it wasn't just grey. It was all shades between dark grey and silver. It was gorgeous. She said her stylist refused to dye it because it was perfect the way it was.

If my hair was like that, I wouldn't dye it either.

I think I may have like, 2 greys underneath my brown.

I discovered this last time I went to the stylist that I could no longer dye my own hair. I suck at it. I can't keep it even all over. The top ends up lighter and the ends end up very dark. My poor stylist had me in her chair for 4 hours.

But I love it now. It's worth it. :)

rhymegirl
05-11-2011, 03:06 AM
Maryn, I have seen your pic. If I had hair like yours I would leave it alone too. It's lovely.

Yes, she does have beautiful hair.

RG, we'll be expecting pics.

Maybe. If it comes out good.

Cliff Face
05-11-2011, 03:09 AM
I have a grey streak in my hair. It went that way in High School after I got really shockingly scared by something. I think it's called a "Shock Line" or "Shock Streak" or something... Not too sure. But yeah, I've got some grey.

adarkfox
05-11-2011, 06:25 AM
I'm rockin' the natural brunette with white and crayola red streaks. Highly recommended ;)

writeronfire
05-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm rockin' the natural brunette with white and crayola red streaks. Highly recommended ;)

That sounds cool.

BeatrixKiddo
05-11-2011, 11:58 PM
It will either be brown or red.

Personally, I'm partial to Rihanna Red. (Too much?) :D

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/6492/rihannalongredextension.jpg

writeronfire
05-12-2011, 03:37 AM
wow, look at that red!

alleycat
05-12-2011, 03:40 AM
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/customavatars/avatar34_1104.gif

It looks good now. I like it.

rhymegirl
05-12-2011, 03:52 AM
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/customavatars/avatar34_1104.gif

It looks good now. I like it.

What? No rabbit killing jokes?

rhymegirl
05-13-2011, 07:22 PM
This is how it came out. I went reddish.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j80/rhymegirl/red.jpg

kayleamay
05-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Nice shade, RG!

I have a feeling that even if you would have gone straight brunette you would ended up with red undertones. Am I right?

(Like I said, we have very similar coloring.)

rhymegirl
05-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Looks Great!
But my opinion isn't the one that counts.
Do you like it?

Yes, I like it a lot.

Nice shade, RG!
I have a feeling that even if you would have gone straight brunette you would ended up with red undertones. Am I right?
(Like I said, we have very similar coloring.)

Thanks. It's especially red out in the sun. I wanted to go even redder but the stylist thought it was too drastic and she said I'd have to go back every 4 weeks to keep it up. I don't want to do that.

Probably I would have had red undertones.

The biggest decision was what to do about the length. I like it long, but she thought I needed some layering.

I used to always get semi-permanent color. This stylist told me semi-permanent doesn't cover grays very well. Hmm. That was nice to know, so I went with permanent.

alleycat
05-13-2011, 11:59 PM
By the way, if you happen to want a bunny, there are a bunch of them available here. The state shut down a "bunny mill" and there are a lot of bunnies looking for a good home. No, I'm not kidding.

I would have taken a bunny myself, but they rejected my application when I answered the question "Do you like bunnies?" with "Yes, with barbecue sauce". Apparently, this was a no-no.

In all seriousness, there really is a bunch of bunnies up for adoption.

rhymegirl
05-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Hmm. Can they hop all the way to Rhode Island?

stormie
05-14-2011, 12:52 AM
I like it! They did a great coloring job.