Something Borrowed

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Has anyone seen this yet? I saw a 1 star review and wasn't that surprised.

I read the book and was appalled to see they'd turned it into a romantic comedy. Never in a million years would I have classified Ms. Giffin's book as a romantic comedy, as much as I love the genre.

Worse still was the casting of gorgeous John Krasinski as the minor character, Ethan, perhaps so if they make the sequel, Something Blue, he'll be back as the love interest (though I doubt that'll happen.)

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score

I read the book and was appalled to see they'd turned it into a romantic comedy. Never in a million years would I have classified Ms. Giffin's book as a romantic comedy, as much as I love the genre.

Worse still was the casting of gorgeous John Krasinski as the minor character, Ethan, perhaps so if they make the sequel, Something Blue, he'll be back as the love interest (though I doubt that'll happen.)

I had to go check IMDB. :e2smack:

I saw the trailer at the cinema when I saw The Eagle [yep, it was that memorable.] It look pretty cliche ridden, obvious jokes etc.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Didn't realize it was a book, and not a romantic comedy at that. As a romantic comedy, I find the trailer trite (I didn't see the movie). Also, the characters are basically cheating on their best friend/fiance, so I don't know how sympathetic we're supposed to be... I usually like romantic comedies but I may skip this one (plus this is definitely more "chick flick" than, say, Knocked Up).

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Also, the characters are basically cheating on their best friend/fiance, so I don't know how sympathetic we're supposed to be... I usually like romantic comedies but I may skip this one (plus this is definitely more "chick flick" than, say, Knocked Up).

See that was the beauty of the book. The author made the 2 cheaters somewhat sympathetic---well, Rachel more than Dex and by making Darcy, the cheatee, reprehensible in her own way. The books was in Rachel's first person POV and contained a lot of her inner anguish over the betrayal, married with her inability to break off the relationship. I never saw any comedy in that kind of a heartbreaking struggle.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score

It's not really a romantic comedy, even if that's what reviewers are calling it - probably because they don't know what else to call it. But John Krasinski is hands down the best part of the movie, although from what I understand (haven't read the book), they bumped up Ethan's role quite a bit. I think he takes over the role of one of Rachel's female friends.

I don't like chick flicks, so I didn't really care for this. Didn't find any of the main characters sympathetic, which is one problem with a lot of the reviews. But I know a lot of people who read the book and liked it, and many who didn't read it and also enjoyed it.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't find any of the main characters sympathetic, which is one problem with a lot of the reviews.

I found that really strange. He's supposed to be seeing the protag, but goes off with the best friend. Now that he is marrying the friend, he then runs off with the protag again?

I'm supposed to sympathise with these characters?

RayC

Registered
Reaction score
I went with my fiance to see this...thought it was going to be awful but actually enjoyed it. It was better than I thought it would be.