Ten Things You expect to find in ..

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Just some thoughts to feed interest and insight into various places..

Ten things you probably find out that might not be in the tour books
For instance:
10 things you probably find in Phoenix and environs

1. A crumpled up car in a wash that belongs to someone who didn't know what a flash flood was

2. A dust storm that makes it impossible to see much farther than the front bumper of you car

3.Whataburgers

4. Cars parked under every tree, no matter how far from the store entrance.

5. Olive trees, and allergic reactions to them

6. Decorative Orange trees with beautiful fruit hanging, free for the picking, and eating ... once.

7. The new 'brand' on your palm when you open your car door

8. Date Palms, and the mess under them

9. Fire ants visiting your picnic

10. Hundreds of crawdads crawling for their lives back to the water when they clean the canals.

And what place do you know such things about?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My city in Massachusetts

1) An empty grocery store bag wound around a tree branch flapping in the breeze.

2) Cars parked hanging off the corner into the intersection.

3) A driver on their cellphone blowing through a stop sign.

4) Everyone fighting over the parking spots closet to the store.

5) Dunkin' Donuts coffee cups on the ground.

6) Wrappers on the ground from whatever someone has been eating.

7) Empty water/sportdrink bottles.

8) Kids with their pants hanging off.

9) Red Sox hats.

10) Boys wearing Pop Warner football jerseys, girls in their cheerleader outfits.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
My home (Norfolk, UK)

01: marsh-mud up your jeans from when you misjudged your step

02: far too many wedding dress shops

03: Shouting men wearing yellow and green tops

04: houses that grow mold every winter

05: Grey skies

06: Goth kids talking on the library steps

07: Oilseed rape and sore eyes

08: Unaccompanied dogs

09: The beggar with the ferret

10: The puppet man

It's a small city.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. Walgreens
2. Walgreens
3. Walgreens
4. Walmart
5. Walgreens
6. road kill (the suburbs don't like nature trying to cross the road)
7. MacDonalds (next a Walgreens)
8. Pizza Hut Express/Taco Bell combo
9. Long John Silvers/Taco Bell combo
10. A Walgreens next to a Walgreens

:D

TerraAnn

Alias: Anastasia Beaverhausen ;)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
terraannpitre.webs.com
Hayward, WI (my hometown)

1. The 'Big Fish' (It's a huge tourist attraction. And people know it from like everywhere...it's ridiculous. I was in Paris on a High School trip years ago and someone there knew about the 'Big Fish', haha!)

2. Tremblays (It's our candy store and most tourists flood that place in the summer.)

3. Coops Pizza (Best. Pizza. Ever.)

4. Park Theater (Although they've changed it so it's now a place where plays and theater things are held. I'm so mad about that! For forever it was our movie theater. My gram and mom used to go to it. It was legendary. I guess I should be glad they didn't tear it down all together, but come on!)

5. Walmart (And let me tell you, when it was first brought here, it was the talk of the town. Until it got here, Pamida was the place to be, lol)

6. Bars (And lotssss of them. This town knows how to drink, hehe)

7. Shues Pond (It's like this mini lake our town has that has swings and benches. It's a nice place to go...when the birds don't feel like attacking you, lol)

8. McDonalds (Every town has to have a McDonalds, lol. It's so bad for you, but every so often it's good to be bad ;) )

9. Marketplace (The grocery store I work at and shop at for my groceries usually. Everyone is so nice there.)

10. And last, but certainly not least, BookWorld. It's on main street and it is my sanctuary. I love to check in there for a new book. Although I always have to make sure I only go in with enough money for one book. One time I went in with 100 dollars and left with ten books and no money left...Hi everyone, I'm Terra and I'm a bookaholic, lol :D

sneakysnail

I'm about to say something stupid
Registered
Reaction score
Just to the left of normal - and no! I'm not a boy
Calgary, Canada

1 - Calgary Flames Fans
2 - Parents that actually believe their boys will be in the NHL
3- Pot holes your car could disappear in.
4 - A spectacular view of the Rockies
5 - Cowboys, lots of Cowboys.
6 - Deer poop on your front lawn.
7 - Chinooks - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind
8 - People with dry, sore sinuses. 3740 feet above sea level and dryer than a popcorn fart.
9- Very friendly and helpful people.
10 - According to Forbes, Calgary is the #1 cleanest city in the world.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
A certain town in Zuzzex, UK

1 - A stupid fountain that looks like a bollock. It's a 'tribute' *snortle* to Shelley, who was a local boy. People laugh at it and/or used to pour washing up liquid in it so when the fountain goes off (every 20 mins or so) the outside of MacDonald's was covered in foam. Possibly why they shut off the fountain and left the bollock

2 - Lots of references to dragons.
3 - Boys trying to be chavs and failing miserably and laughably.
4 - Beer cans everywhere
5 The Magic Tree in the park. Possibly so named cos that's where the teens go to get stoned.
6 - More curry houses than we know what to do with
7 - A council that gets all snotty about a single tattoo parlour/after hours drinking place but seemingly can do nothing about the copious knocking shops.
8 - More beer cans, possibly set off in a jaunty manner by an empty vodka bottle
9 - Cars parked on the pavement so you can't walk there.
10 - situated in a weird pocket of geography that means it gets less rain that the surrounding towns. It can be blue sky here and snorkel weather 10 miles away.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Adelaide, South Australia

1. People prowling the streets at midnight with a bag of weed, rollie cigarettes and either a fishing rod or a plank of wood. (Adelaide is Australia's drug capital.)

2. Teenagers who think standing in groups and being vulgar at everyone who walks past them who probably can't beat them up, is cool. They fail at wit the same way they failed at school.

3. Lots of Japanese people. After WW2 we had a whole lot of Japanese families move to Adelaide. Asian is the most common race here after White European, and Japanese is the most common out of the Asian immigrants. I don't mean this as a bad thing, like the first 2 points - I love Japanese culture and think their women are gorgeous. So mostly I'm bragging. ;)

4. Parks. Adelaide technically is a 1-mile square section of city, very small, but is also known by its suburbs, which go on for about 1.5 hours in every direction from the city. In every suburb, there are parks all over the place. In the city, that is only 1 mile square, we have about 3 large parks. Parks everywhere!

5. The best bus ticket system in Australia. You can buy a multi-trip, which has 10 trips on it. Each time you use a trip, you can keep using that one trip for 2 hours, which allows you to take a bus and a train, and then hop on the train home later, and only use 1 trip. Also, we have Interpeak and Peak tickets (Interpeak only usable Mon-Fri 9-3, but half the price), Concession, Student, Adult and Mon-Fri 9-3 senior citizens ride for free. (Caveat: The buses don't go very often, all things considered. It's easier to get around other cities in Australia, but those places will cost you a lot more money. It's a trade off.)

6. An awful lot of factories. Fucking things are everywhere.

7. This one is for the men in the audience. You know how, if you're using a urinal, you'll stand off to the side to minimise the possibility of being directly next to another man? Well, Adelaide seems to have an abundance of men who don't seem to grasp this concept. Either they stand near the middle, or if they come in after you they stand right next to you. So if you're a man visiting Adelaide, if you want privacy, use a stall.

8. Zero (0) major publishing houses. Not even any branches of major publishing houses. We have some small publishers here, a very limited number. Generally they consist of: 1 fiction publisher that just started out, 1 vanity press, and about 6 technical manual publishers.

9. The cleanest air in Australia. Unfortunately this is offset by the masses of cigarette butts and empty chip packets on the ground wherever you look. A study was done, and in 2010 the most common item of litter in Adelaide was empty chip packets. Astonishing when you consider how many smokers we have in this city!

10. Rundle Mall. This one is probably in the guidebooks. We have in Rundle Mall (heart of the city itself) the big balls, and the pigs. Sound like a barn dance? It's not. The pigs are, well, pigs, but they're made out of metal, quite shiny, and have been set up near a fake bin partway down the open-air mall strip. One pig is standing on its back legs, with its front legs propped on the bin, and its snout looking for discarded food. Very weird to see the first time you walk through Rundle Mall... And then the big balls are two enormous metal spheres, one on top of the other (a complicated bit of welding no doubt took place to keep the top ball secure and thus not killing tourists). This is where everyone chooses to meet up in the city. It's kind of like our version of The Eiffel Tower, or the top of The Empire State Building. Not as cosmopolitan, but hey, we're mostly a working class city.

:)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just some thoughts to feed interest and insight into various places..

Ten things you probably find out that might not be in the tour books
For instance:
10 things you probably find in Phoenix and environs

1. A crumpled up car in a wash that belongs to someone who didn't know what a flash flood was

and was driven around a "do not enter wash" sign to get there

2. A dust storm that makes it impossible to see much farther than the front bumper of you car

3.Whataburgers

4. Cars parked under every tree, no matter how far from the store entrance.

5. Olive trees, and allergic reactions to them

6. Decorative Orange trees with beautiful fruit hanging, free for the picking, and eating ... once.

7. The new 'brand' on your palm when you open your car door

8. Date Palms, and the mess under them

9. Fire ants visiting your picnic

10. Hundreds of crawdads crawling for their lives back to the water when they clean the canals.

and tires, bicycles, shopping carts, the occasional car, fish, and a multitude of other stuff

And what place do you know such things about?

MM

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
Wellington, New Zealand

1. They aren't kidding about the wind. Our clouds are on fast forward today.

2. Clean, picturesque harbour water. Except for the jellyfish.

3. Blanket Man/Brother our most wellknown street person. Usually found hanging out on Courtney Place, looking like he should be hunting on a savannah.

4. Hipsters. Yep. We got a lota hipsters.

5. Did I mention the wind already? Also flying signs, plastic bags, bits of buildings, small dogs...

6. Hills. Hills. Hills. Particularly when you're late. Hills.

7. Roads so narrow and sharp cornered you'd think a mini would have trouble not flying into space. That's just a standard bus route here.

8. Cold, and more cold. Nzers don't believe in insulation.

9. Damp and more damp. Combine with the cold and the lovely nature preserves and that's a lot of rodents in your house. Trying to run up your leg. They're in your hair! Somehow, in your hair!!

10. It's a student/politician town so there is an awful lot of vomit on the footpaths come sunday morning...

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
My tiny town in Oregon:

1.) Buildings that are falling apart

2.) A population of about a thousand (if that)

3.) City limits so small that I can start playing a song on one end of town and it'll only be half over when I pass the other sign

4.) Bad, always-changing weather

5.) People who will steal things (students and adults, on school grounds and off)

6.) A guy in a black truck driving around trying to kidnap children by the elementary school

7.) High-speed car chases

8.) Cats. A LOT of cats.

9.) Three parks

10.) Trees

Not a huge fan of my town... >.<

~Amber~

Ashes Oh Ashes

Honest, not Harsh
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blogofron.com
Things you'll notice in my town:

1. Stoplights that try to crack you one as you drive under them.

2. A library that strangely resembles a lucky rabbit's foot.

3. The lady that drives the Magic School Bus.

4. Pedestrians.

5. Drivers that speed up when they see people crossing the street.

6. Harry Potter.

7. Grass.

8. Gawk-ers.

9. Wandering serpents.

10. Harry Potter again.

Alright, I might have lied about #7...

And yes, I do live in Hogwarts.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
East Bay

1. Walmarts. Lots of Walmarts.
2. Starbucks. More Starbucks than Walmarts, but the Walmarts are larger.
3. Every single human being in the world here walks around with headphones on, the wires disappearing into their shirts.
4. Cellphones grow to people's ears. Makes it hard to have your headphones in.
5. Really horrible smelling flowers planted in the meridians.
6. A homeless man dressed entirely in white. No kidding. He looks like Jesus.
7. Very mild weather, but Meteorologists get a hard-on when it's going to rain.
8. People who don't know how to drive in the rain.
9. There are very few people who live here that were born here. Now, when you say something like that, people think you are being racist. I am not being racist. The Indian people are wonderful neighbors, the New Yorkers however.....
10. New Yorkers.

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
Auckland, NZ

1. Jafas.

2. Jaffas.

3. In ice cream form.

4. St-Matthew-in-the-City billboards.

5. Lots and lots of volcanoes

6. Discarded pie wrappers.

7. Kebab shops. Everywhere in the CBD.

8. Also many, many Asian supermarkets.

9. The ubiquity of the Sky Tower. You really don't need to make a special trip to visit it. Wherever you are, it's there too.

10. People like these.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver, WA

1. homeless guys at every on ramp, talking on cell phones
2. boarded up meth labs
3. operational meth labs
4. cottonwood fluff on everything
5. ladies with Jesus fish and "Keep Vancouver Normal" bumper stickers flipping you the bird as they pass on the wrong side
4. Tunnel Vision Tony
5. a Russian church next to a Vietnamese church next to a Jewish synogogue next to a house with an Aryan Brotherhood sign in the yard
6. minivans galore
7. a laundromat/tanning salon combo
8. small houses with enormous garages
9. vitamin D deficiency en masse
10. retired men driving their convertibles around with the top down in the rain